Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Gosh, I wonder who will possibly win this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Empress Theonora posted:

Gosh, I wonder who will possibly win this time?

I'm curious how many posters would have defected to Fremont if he had not suspended his campaign.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm curious how many posters would have defected to Fremont if he had been a candidate.

That could well have thrown the election, honestly. Who doesn't love Our Glorious Freemounter?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm voting Fremont as my write in candidate, sorry Abe

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm writing in Karl Marx/Friedrich Engels. tia.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
drat it, Fremont, you would've had this in the bag.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lincoln/Johnson '64.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For a moment there I was worried I’d have to choose between Frémont and Lincoln.

Frémont was such a good guy for sparing America that choice.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

I think it would be fair to give the other side a chance to govern so I voted for McClellan.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm curious how many posters would have defected to Fremont if he had not suspended his campaign.

:patriot:

Fremont's my kind of guy, if the opposition propaganda is to believe, but if Lincoln is willing to slaughter the masses to crush a slave state under his boot-heel, well, then he's fine by me.

Also, I'd just like to say, one of the interesting things about following this thread is watching the map of the USA develop. I find it kind of fascinating that, by 1865, not only do we already have the entire lower 48, but that other than partitioning the Dakota Territory, we have all the internal borders as well. I think I imagined the west stayed unorganized longer.

Vavrek has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Apr 3, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
To be fair, even if Fremont were running, I'm pretty sure so few of us would have voted for loving McClellan he or Lincoln still would have won.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
A vote for Lincoln is a vote for his very death. :911: :patriot: :911:

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Lincoln is alright by me, but I don't trust Johnson at all. No Southern scoundrels in the White House, that's my opinion! I know he's getting on in years, but why couldn't Lincoln have picked a true believer again this time for VP like Thaddeus Stevens? Or even Benjamin Wade? Sigh, what could've been.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if he hadn't picked the only high-profile southern politician to denounce secession as vp, and split democratic sympathies by making it a 'national unity' ticket, lincoln would've had a really hard time getting reelected. avoiding overcommitting to non-racist

the seige of atlanta helped a lot but they couldn't have planned for the timing of that

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

lambeth posted:

Lincoln is alright by me, but I don't trust Johnson at all. No Southern scoundrels in the White House, that's my opinion! I know he's getting on in years, but why couldn't Lincoln have picked a true believer again this time for VP like Thaddeus Stevens? Or even Benjamin Wade? Sigh, what could've been.

In the late summer of 1864, there was a good loving chance the Republicans were going to lose the election. A big part of that was because despite the Union's territorial gains and tremendous victories of the year before, the summer of 1864 was exceptionally bloody with seemingly little to show for it. Grant had taken the Army of the Potomac right up into Lee's face and ground him all the way down to Petersburg, but he lost tens of thousands of men doing it-and the Eastern press was quick to label him as a butcher who didn't care about casualties. In the Western theater Sherman had made tremendous progress towards Atlanta, but his campaign had seemingly stalled out against a skillful Confederate defense and constant attacks against his supply lines. To the average joe, the Union's not in a much better place than they were an entire year ago, and Gettysburg and Vicksburg are beginning to look like flukes. To make matters even worse, while the Draft isn't quite as contentious as it had been the previous year, it's still about as popular as it would be a hundred years later in 1968-for many, a vote against the War might as well be a vote to save their own skins, or those of friends or loved ones.

And of course you've got McClellan. Up until he got fired he was one of the most successful Union generals in the East, and was one of the very few Union commanders to win a major battle against Lee (Who was basically legendary at this point). He was also exceptionally popular with his men, which the Republicans feared was going to be A Problem in an election where the soldiers themselves made up a good portion of the electorate. With him leading the ticket, so long as the Union remained outside Atlanta and Petersburg the Democrats could convincingly argue that the war was militarily unwinnable, and the only option was a negotiated peace.

So, of course, Lincoln hedged. By selecting Johnson instead of a Radical Republican, Lincoln was basically playing to the middle, stating that winning the war was the main objective instead of freeing the slaves or-god forbid!-giving them citizenship (Which was still a very controversial subject). Of course, he was also helped by McClellan's muddled platform that wasn't quite peace, but wasn't quite war, though the final nail in the coffin was the capture of Atlanta in September (Which effectively signaled Game Over for the Confederacy-it was one of their largest cities and one of their very few transportation hubs. Once it was taken, the Southern rail system collapsed). And to cap it off, when the soldiers did send in their ballots, they voted overwhelmingly for Lincoln-after all of their sacrifices over the past three years, they wanted to make drat sure they finished the job.

So basically, while selecting Johnson ended up being unnecessary to win the election, the decision was made when it seemed like it might be-and unfortunately, we all know how it ended.

Acebuckeye13 has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Apr 4, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think in this time of turmoil, friends, we should remember this when talking about the south:

quote:

“Always remember: Others may hate you, but those who hate you don’t win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Great av/post combo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You have McClellan listed as the Vice Presidential nominee. Confused me for a moment there.

Let's look at things for a moment now, Lincoln has done what he needed to do that nobody else would do by this point. He's started the war against those drat traitors in the south, and doing a fine job, despite Buchanan's outright sabotage. He's passed his emancipation proclamation, which means the main purpose of the republican is fulfilled, right? Slaves: Freed. So all that's left is to finish the war, which couldn't take too long, right? And even if the coup de grace isn't dealt by the time the next guy takes over, not even the damnable wishy-washiness of the democrats that we've come to know and love over these long decades can gently caress this up, because McClellan has declared that he will do what it takes to win this war. It's a win/win scenario! Besides, I like this precedent we can set for generals who have been fired for incompetence to go on to challenge the president, especially generals with ""mac" in their name! Imagine how our country could benefit from such a precedent 84 years hence!

Now, who I don't like is this Pendleton fellow, but let's be real here, we know that there may be a danger of assassination attempts, but who do you really see as easier to kill? A general, or this loser who calls himself "Gentleman George?" And continuing on that line of thinking, if the vice president is easy to kill, that introduces a third dark horse option: If both McClellan and Pendelton kick the bucket, that means the presidency goes to the current Speaker of the House, none other than the founder of the Republican Party, Schuyler Colfax.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Weeeeell... :v:

Even after the Emancipation Proclamation, the future of slavery in the US was still an undecided issue. Infamously, the proclamation only freed slaves in territory occupied by the Confederacy at the time of its issue, and was explicitly a wartime measure that was justified as economic warfare against the South. In Maryland, Delaware, Missouri, and the wide swaths of occupied territory in the South, Slavery was still very much legal-and Lincoln himself knew that the Proclamation wasn't going to hold any water after the war-and if McClellan had gotten into office, he could have easily rescinded it. The only thing that would guarantee the end of Slavery was a constitutional amendment, which required a 2/3 majority in the House and Senate that the Republicans didn't yet have.

So if you want to vote for Slavery to die and stay dead, vote for Lincoln. And besides, you'll have a much better general to vote for in the next election :v:

Edit: It really can be safely said that the 1864 campaign was probably the single most important series of elections in American history. Not only do you have the race of Lincoln against McClellan for the fate of the country, but you also have the hundreds of state and local level elections that would decide the makeup of the House and Senate. These elections were, if anything, even more important-not only did they pass the 13th Amendment (Literally the first amendment to be successfully added to the Constitution since Jefferson's presidency 60 years prior), but in the face of Johnson's obstinacy they became the driving force behind Reconstruction-and in the process passed the 14th Amendment, which is hands-down the single most important document in American history outside of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Acebuckeye13 has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Apr 4, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also I know the book is closed on this one but jesus christ Buchanan

Why isn't this guy ever trotted out as an appeasement villain? I'm glad even his own cabinet was disgusted with him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

lambeth posted:

It's ok, he's just there to capture some votes, he's unlikely to ever hold any real power in Three Term Lincoln's presidency.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also I know the book is closed on this one but jesus christ Buchanan

Why isn't this guy ever trotted out as an appeasement villain? I'm glad even his own cabinet was disgusted with him.

On paper Buchanan looks great. lawyer, veteran of 1812, 4 term congressman, senator, ambassador to Russia, ambassador to the UK, and Secretary of State. In practice though...

Add that half his cabinet was plotting against him. (To quote Grant's memoirs)

quote:

Meanwhile the Administration of President Buchanan looked helplessly on and proclaimed that the general government had no power to interfere; that the Nation had no power to save its own life. Mr. Buchanan had in his cabinet two members at least, who were as earnest—to use a mild term—in the cause of secession as Mr. Davis or any Southern statesman. One of them, Floyd, the Secretary of War, scattered the army so that much of it could be captured when hostilities should commence, and distributed the cannon and small arms from Northern arsenals throughout the South so as to be on hand when treason wanted them. The navy was scattered in like manner. The President did not prevent his cabinet preparing for war upon their government, either by destroying its resources or storing them in the South until a de facto government was established with Jefferson Davis as its President, and Montgomery, Alabama, as the Capital. The secessionists had then to leave the cabinet. In their own estimation they were aliens in the country which had given them birth. Loyal men were put into their places. Treason in the executive branch of the government was stopped. But the harm had already been done. The stable door was locked after the horse had been stolen.

Nckdictator has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Apr 5, 2016

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

On paper Buchanan looks great. lawyer, veteran of 1812, 4 term congressman, senator, ambassador to Russia, ambassador to the UK, and Secretary of State. In practice though...

Add that half his cabinet were plotting against him. (To quote Grant's memoirs)

Plus Breckenridge, his VP, is going to Go South to serve as a General in the Confederacy the Southern Insurrection.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

karmicknight posted:

I'm writing in Karl Marx/Friedrich Engels. tia.

In that case you may want to consider voting for the guy Karl Marx endorsed: It was Lincoln.

Actually, you might even say that Marx was as much a fan of Old Abe as the rest of us:

quote:

We congratulate the American people upon your re-election by a large majority. If resistance to the Slave Power was the reserved watchword of your first election, the triumphant war cry of your re-election is Death to Slavery.
[...]
The workingmen of Europe feel sure that, as the American War of Independence initiated a new era of ascendancy for the middle class, so the American Antislavery War will do for the working classes. They consider it an earnest of the epoch to come that it fell to the lot of Abraham Lincoln, the single-minded son of the working class, to lead his country through the matchless struggle for the rescue of an enchained race and the reconstruction of a social world.

Here's the full letter: https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/iwma/documents/1864/lincoln-letter.htm

While this letter is a source of infinite joy to me, I have to accept the fact that I had been wrong when discussing Marx's legacy in the past. After all, I have to admit now that the conservatives were right all along: Marx did support an authoritarian, fanatical and immoral political party at one point. While his intentions may have been pure, we should never forget the dark and destructive political legacy of the Republican Party. The fact that they only showed their truly and utterly vile face after his death only partially exhonerates him of his previous support.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Write in campaign for Lincoln/Fremont starts here <<<<<<<<

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ibogaine posted:

In that case you may want to consider voting for the guy Karl Marx endorsed: It was Lincoln.

Actually, you might even say that Marx was as much a fan of Old Abe as the rest of us:

Here's the full letter: https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/iwma/documents/1864/lincoln-letter.htm

While this letter is a source of infinite joy to me, I have to accept the fact that I had been wrong when discussing Marx's legacy in the past. After all, I have to admit now that the conservatives were right all along: Marx did support an authoritarian, fanatical and immoral political party at one point. While his intentions may have been pure, we should never forget the dark and destructive political legacy of the Republican Party. The fact that they only showed their truly and utterly vile face after his death only partially exhonerates him of his previous support.

This is the best goddamn thread.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thank you for voting. In a landslide, His Elective Majesty Abraham Lincoln has won re-election. There is no doubt that Lincoln will serve a long, healthy, and fulfilling life. Surely, the next few years will see many outstanding changes, including the peaceful reintegration of the South, the enfranchising of freed slaves, and the prosecution of former Confederate leaders.

Also, Andrew Johnson has been elected Vice-President. Hopefully, he will enjoy four years of being politically irrelevant!

MOST POPULAR TICKET:

Abraham Lincoln / Andrew Johnson (National Union) - 70 votes (89.7%)
George B. McClellan / George H.Pendleton (Democratic) - 8 votes (10.3%)
TOTAL: 78 votes

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1868

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1868! :siren:

Background:

On 15 April, 1865, John Wilkes Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln while the latter was attending a play. For a country which had hoped to put the horrors of the Civil War behind it, the assassination was a tragedy beyond measure. Worse, the assassination flung Andrew Johnson, Lincoln’s much-ignored Vice-President, into a position of power and authority. At Lincoln’s funeral, Commanding General of the United States Army, Ulysses S. Grant, stood alone and wept openly. To his wife, he cried that, “Reconstruction has been set back no telling how far.”

In many ways, Grant was right. For the remainder of Johnson’s presidency, the sole issue was Reconstruction, the effort to bring the South back into the Union. While Radical Republicans pushed for stringent measures that would institute civil rights for newly freed slaves and disenfranchise ex-Confederate leaders, Johnson wanted to bring the South back into the nation as quickly as possible. Johnson had relatively little interest in helping former slaves, seeing their freedom solely as a way of punishing the South, and hoped to maintain the electorate’s exclusively white character. Johnson pushed against the Republican Congress’s attempts to enfranchise freed blacks and took advantage of Congress being in recess to push through his own policies. These included thousands of pardons and allowing the South to set up “black codes,” which was seen as slavery under another name.

When Congress came back into session, its leaders were furious and took steps to limit the President’s authority. Over the President’s public condemnations, Congress passed the Freedmen’s Bureau Bill, which provided shelter and provisions for former slaves and explicitly granted them equal rights in the courts. It also passed the Civil Rights Act, which defined all persons born in the United States as citizens, and the Fourteenth Amendment, which authorized the federal government to protect the rights of all citizens.

In an attempt to counteract these measures and preserve his authority, Johnson took to the road, intending to rally the public onto his side. The strategy was a disaster. Johnson, obviously drunk, used racial slurs, profanity, and abusive language to attack his Republican opponents. In 1866, the Radical Republicans experienced landslide victories across the country. Johnson further worsened his position by attacking Grant, the beloved Civil War General, after the latter refused to help Johnson attack the Republican Congress. In Congress, Johnson became known as the Republican Party’s best campaigner. Having lost all use, the Republican Party put in motion a plan to remove Johnson from office.

Believing the Tenure of Office Act, which limited the President’s ability to remove officials, unconstitutional, Johnson fired Secretary of War Edwin Stanton, who in turn barricaded himself in his office and refused to recognize the President’s order. Congress immediately voted to impeach Johnson, citing his violation of the Act, and used the press to publicly defame him. Though Johnson survived removal by just one vote, he ceased to be a threat to the Congress and allowed it to pass whatever bills it wanted unimpeded.

With Johnson incapacitated, both parties began planning for the upcoming election. On the Republican side, General Ulysses S. Grant secured the nomination with a promise to continue the work that Lincoln had started. On the Democratic side, convention chairman and Governor of New York Horatio Seymour, who had previously declined an offer for the nomination, was chosen.

Initially, Grant saw no need to campaign as everyone already knew who he was. Further, he saw competing with Seymour, a white supremacist with a checkered past who accused Grant of being a “friend of the family lover” with an illegitimate Indian lovechild, to be below his dignity. After the Democrats started making startling gains across the country, however, Grant mobilized his proxies to fight back. Seymour was linked to the failed Southern rebellion and implied to be a member of an elaborate cabal that intended to bring back the era of Southern supremacy.

Meanwhile, both sides struggled to court the new black vote. Grant was forced to explain why his support for black civil rights seemed to end at the Mason-Dixon Line. Democrats published editorials like, “The Coloured Voter: A Sober Appeal to His Interests and His Sober Reason,” which told former slaves that they should support the Democrats because, “if your state and her sister Southern states had not seceded from the Union, you would not today be free.”

On both sides, blacks who attempted to exercise their right to vote faced violence and suppression.

REPUBLICAN PARTY NOMINEES:

Presidential Nominee: Ulysses S. Grant
  • Party Affiliation: Republican Party
  • Home State: Illinois
  • Notable Positions: Commanding General of the United States Army
  • Biography: Ulysses S. Grant is an American war hero and the symbol of Union victory in the aftermath of the Civil War. Born to an Ohio tanner, Ulysses was a small and sensitive child whose shyness was often mistaken for stupidity by friends and neighbors. Rejecting these allegations and determined to give Ulysses an outlet, Grant’s parents arranged for Grant to join the United States Military Academy at West Point, Grant’s only option for education given his family’s dire poverty. After several years of intense study, Grant emerged from West Point as an expert horseman and fearless leader who was prone to fits of emotion off the battlefield. In 1846, Grant joined the fight in Mexico and served under General Zachary Taylor. In 1860, Grant briefly returned to his family home before joining the Union Army against the Confederacy. During the fight for control over the Mississippi Valley, Grant distinguished himself and was promoted personally by Lincoln. Following skillful victories at Shiloh and Vicksburg, Grant was promoted to General-in-Chief. He is credited for the Union’s military success during the war and, in 1866, was named General of the Armies, a rank that had been achieved by no one except General Washington. He stands for election in 1868 as the most revered soldier in the Union and is second only to Lincoln in the public’s consciousness.
  • Platform: After four years of fighting and half-a-million dead, the country is exhausted and ready for a leader who can heal the country’s divisions without repudiating the Civil War’s legacy. With his campaign slogan, “Let us have peace,” Grant promises to be just that. Calling upon memories of his victories against the South, promises that Lincoln’s memory will not forgotten. A strong opponent of Andrew Johnson, Grant has pushed for measures to ensure that Reconstruction continues unimpeded. Under the guidance of Grant and Radical Republicans, the Republican Platform includes support for black suffrage (but only in the South), full citizenship for former slaves (in the South), an open immigration (which will allow the North to grow relative to the South), and full rights for naturalized citizens (which will depress the South’s political power). He also thinks that the former slaves should probably be treated better, if only to punish the South. In other affairs, Grant is known for his scrupulous honesty (though many would call it political naivety). He has shunned the practice of patronage and promises to run the White House like he would run the military. Grant opposes the use of “Greenbacks,” excess paper money backed on faith in the federal government rather than gold, for the same reason. He will not pay back foreign debts incurred by the Confederacy. Though he wishes to rebuild the country, he has aspirations of establishing American hegemony over the Carribean.

Vice Presidential Nominee: Schuyler Colfax
  • Party Affiliation: Republican Party
  • Home State: Indiana
  • Notable Positions: Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, United States Representative from Indiana
  • Biography: Colfax is a journalist, author, editor, traveler, business executive, and politician. An amiable man, known by his colleagues as “the Smiler,” Colfax got his start in New York City. As a child, Colfax worked as a clerk in a retail store to support his family but was a voracious reader and avid learner. In 1841, his mother remarried and Colfax moved to Indiana, where his stepfather had been elected as the Whig candidate for county auditor. Enjoying politics, Colfax became active and quickly mastered the inner-workings of debate and parliamentary procedure. At the age of sixteen, Colfax became a confidant to the editor of the influential New-York Tribune, Horace Greeley, who agreed to publish Colfax’s thoughts on Indiana politics in his papers. By the age of 21, Colfax had earned enough money to purchase his own paper, which was later deemed by Harriet Beecher Stowe to be the only “morally pure paper” in America. As the Whig Party collapsed, Colfax was forced to experiment with several different political organizations before eventually settling with the Republicans for their stance on slavery. Colfax’s strong oratory skills allowed him to climb the ladder of both the Republican Party and the United States Congress, where he quickly attained the Speakership. He is suspected of having several unsavory ties to business.
  • Platform: Though initially a moderate, Johnson’s administration has moved Colfax increasingly towards radical positions and transformed him into a Radical Republican. Fearful that any progress made over the last few years might be undone, Colfax is firmly against allowing those who participated in the rebellion to be allowed to reassume office. Further, he has advocated for the impeachment of leaders, like Johnson, who have been unfaithful in executing Reconstruction over the South. As Speaker of the House, Colfax oversaw and ensured the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery throughout the United States. While he supports enfranchising blacks, his support of this proposal seems oddly centered on the South. Still, Colfax professes support of black suffrage, full citizenship for former slaves, and the strict preservation of Reconstruction. He opposes using greenbacks to repay war debts.

DEMOCRATIC PARTY NOMINEES:

Presidential Nominee: Horatio Seymour
  • Party Affiliation: Democratic Party
  • Home State: New York
  • Notable Positions: Governor of New York, Mayor of Utica, New York, New York Assemblyman
  • Biography: Seymour is the first Democrat to pose a significant threat to the Republican Party. Born in New York to a small merchant and politician, Horatio was involved in politics at an early age and spent his early life preparing for a career in elected office. His first opportunity in politics came in 1833, when he became the military secretary to New York’s Governor, William L. Marcy, a position that gave Seymour a valuable education in state politics and allowed him to form various political connections. From 1842 to 1846, Seymour called upon his old allies to secure his election to the New York State Assembly and eventually the Governorship. Seymour secured New York’s highest office at a time when the country seemed to be barrelling towards Civil War. Using his position and his ties within the party, Seymour urged various presidents to make concessions to the South to avoid war. After the South seceded, he begrudgingly supported Lincoln’s leadership while opposing him on the issues of emancipation, conscription, and military arrests. He took steps to stop New York City’s draft riots, but used conciliatory measures against those rioting out of distaste of Lincoln and sympathy for those affected by the draft.
  • Platform: Seymour is running as a New Departure Democrat, a style of politics that seeks to move the country past the South’s secession and focus on economic issues. Though he recognizes the Civil War as misguided and the South’s secession as wrong, Seymour hopes to restore the United States “as it was” before the war and has applauded the efforts of Andrew Johnson is moving the country forward. He believes that “the assertion that this war was the unavoidable result of slavery is not only erroneous, but has led to a disastrous policy in its persecution. [Abolitionism] creates antagonism between the free and slave states.” Hoping to emulate Johnson, Seymour promises to end the country’s war debt through the use of greenbacks. He promises to end Reconstruction and restore the rights of the South. He even promises to return the country to the old debates of state rights versus federal power. In doing so, Seymour has made open appeals to racism and has made subtle hints towards the potential for violence before the election. In public speeches, Seymour has branded Grant as the “friend of the family” candidate and himself as the “White Man’s” candidate. Seymour’s campaign motto is “This is White Man’s Country; Let the White Men Rule.” At the behest of his backers, Seymour has spoken at length on the virtues of white supremacy speaks on the virtues of white supremacy and the ridiculousness of black suffrage. He hopes to roll back the overreaching measures enacted by the Republican Party if elected. Afterall, many of these policies, such as Reconstruction, are only a Republican attempt to maintain power. Seymour does not see African Americans as actually capable of making decisions. On all other issues, Seymour has promised slow, common-sense reform that follows the provisions laid out by Edmund Burke. He supports a small, conservative, limited government that will be able to protect the rights of the individual states. Seymour hopes to institute equal taxation on property.

Vice Presidential Nominee: Francis P. Blair, Jr.
  • Party Affiliation: Democratic Party
  • Home State: Missouri
  • Notable Positions: Major General in the United States Army, United States Representative from Missouri, Member of the Missouri House of Representatives
  • Biography: Francis P. Blair, Jr. is a Missouri politician who gained prominence for his opposition to the Confederacy and slavery as well as Reconstruction policies. The son of a political journalist, Blair was exposed to politics at an early age and sought to practice law as a way of furthering his political career. During the Mexican-American War, Blair served as attorney general of the New Mexico territory, a position for which he was well-paid. Upon returning, Blair used his funds to follow his father and establish a newspaper, the Barnburner, which would eventually become the official newspaper of Missouri’s Free Soil Party. Within this capacity, Blair helped transform the Free Soil Party into a mainstream movement, with his calls for gradual emancipation gaining the approval of many across the state. In 1860, Blair stumped for Abraham Lincoln and the Republican Party and helped organize a paramilitary organization to counteract would-be secessionists when the South left the Union. Since then, he has gradually distanced himself from the Republican Party, claiming it to be too radical and too far separated from Lincoln’s original policies. In 1865, Blair officially registered as a Democrat as a protest against the Radical Republicans.
  • Platform: Francis Blair is a staunch Unionist, a man so devoted to the Union that his very presence on the ticket seems to preempt any Republican allegations about secession. A political moderate, Blair was an unwavering supporter of Abraham Lincoln during his presidency for attempting to ensure the solvency of the Union against Southern intransigence. He helped establish a paramilitary organization and was a leader of the short-lived Unconditional Union Party, which sought to prevent Missouri’s secession by force if necessary. However, Blair’s support of Union does not mean he supports all the policies of the Republican Party. Though he once supported gradual emancipation, he has never viewed blacks as equals deserving of equal rights or treatment under the law. Instead, he has warned the country not to support Grant who would pervert Lincoln’s legacy by subjecting the South to black supremacy. In his speeches, Blair has painted vivid pictures of a future where the country is ruled by “a semi-barbarous race of blacks who are worshipers of fetishes and polygamists” who want to “subject white women to their unbridled lust.” He hopes to deport the freed slaves and use their labor to build American colonies in Africa, as there is no place for them in American society. Some of these speeches have been too much for even Seymour, who has asked Blair to tone it down. Blair opposes Reconstruction, seeing it as a thinly disguised attempt to transform the country into a one-party state. He supports the use of greenbacks to pay off Civil War debts and has called on the federal government to accept those debts incurred by the South during its rebellion.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I kinda wish there were a third party this cycle. Grant's heart approximates being in the right place*, but god drat does he have bad taste in friends.

*it's on the correct shelf, but it's in a separate bottle, preserved in ethanol

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Haha Seymour you piece of poo poo *pulls for Grant*

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Octatonic posted:

I kinda wish there were a third party this cycle. Grant's heart approximates being in the right place*, but god drat does he have bad taste in friends.

*it's on the correct shelf, but it's in a separate bottle, preserved in ethanol

Grant believes in the goodness of all non-Confederate people. :angel:

Surely, no one would betray his trust and confidence.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
The only way I can make this election palpable is by reminding myself that I don't know about the people surrounding Grant yet. So, yeah, Grant and a cross-eyed first lady it is.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You thought the Civil War would bring an end to boring elections with, at most, only one non jackass candidate? Guess again, this ride never ends!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Did you know that Grant is a drunkard who needs alcohol to cope with the horrors of war? Is that really the kind of role model that you want your children to look up to?

Also, I heard that he's a Catholic atheist who fathered at least six illegitimate biracial children.

Anyways, I'm going to vote for this guy:

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Also, I heard that he's a Catholic atheist who fathered at least six illegitimate biracial children.

But is he a Mason? :tinfoil:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Franco Potente posted:

But is he a Mason? :tinfoil:

No, but his father and two of his brothers are. They say that Grant wanted to join but was to busy with the military and politics.

Schuyler Colfax is a member of that accursed lodge, though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grant/Blair. Two generals are better than one.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Did you know that Grant is a drunkard who needs alcohol to cope with the horrors of war? Is that really the kind of role model that you want your children to look up to?

To be honest, this sounds like a nice callback to the Free Love Fremont days and the glories of our youthful HARD CIDER. Thank you for helping me put my fears about Grant to rest, fellow citizen!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

QuoProQuid posted:

which told former slaves that they should support the Democrats because, “if your state and her sister Southern states had not seceded from the Union, you would not today be free.”

I want to shake the hand of whoever came up with this amazing example of being technically correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

John Dough posted:

I want to shake the hand of whoever came up with this amazing example of being technically correct.

It truly is the best kind of correct.

So, we're all on the same page and voting for the political neophyte general, right? Because I'm pretty sure the only thing I object to about Grant, aside from the fact that it might take him some time to cut his teeth before he can really get work done this term, is that he is against fiat currency, a cause I support.

• Locked thread