Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

peace walker sucks dude
This. It's the only mainline MGS that I played that completely I gave up on playing. (And I actually liked 4) I haven't played 5 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't have peacewalker because I don't have a PSP. All these games come courtesy of a friend who didn't want them anymore and knew I'd never touched them. (2 and 3 are the HD remasters, 1 is his original copy from his PS). He's a good guy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VideoGames posted:

I don't have peacewalker because I don't have a PSP. All these games come courtesy of a friend who didn't want them anymore and knew I'd never touched them. (2 and 3 are the HD remasters, 1 is his original copy from his PS). He's a good guy.
They actually ported Peace Walker to PS3, its how I played it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
That's a lot of games to play through but the best ones are 1 and 3 anyways, so it would be better to play them in order rather than playing the shittier ones and getting burned out before playing the good ones

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
pplease be sure to have the box mgs1 came in handy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

time for another lovely boss fight against a tank, woo

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

pplease be sure to have the box mgs1 came in handy
Also pay attention to peoples' asses.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the spanish dub of mgs1 is better anyway

CULO ESTUPENDO

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

the spanish dub of mgs1 is better anyway

CULO ESTUPENDO

Oh hey, my old Luchadore name.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

You can play Peace Walker off the PSN now on a PS3.

I suddenly realize that MGS3, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain form a shadow trilogy to the first trilogy of MGS1, MGS2, MGS4.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oh

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
me gusta

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

welcome online, Luisfius

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:eyepop: ¡ay caramba!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

peace walker sucks dude

As someone who loved peacewalker. This is true.

Also, I would say 1-3 are the best games. 1 and 2 are equal imo because they both have different goals. 3 is the best in the series and is the only game needed before 5. 1,2,4 are their own time-line following solid snake. 4 has the best payoff in the second half, worst post game cinema though.

5 is the most fun to play. But man the story is unresolved, I'll be honest with you about that.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The original Metal Gear is good but is a bit archaic, has a couple bullshit parts, and can be skipped without missing much. Play it if you can put up with it. I highly recommend playing the Metal Gear series starting with Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, however.

Solid 1 revisits so much from that game, and given the way the whole series is filled with callbacks and thematic repetition you get a lot more out of it playing them all in order.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nasgate posted:

As someone who loved peacewalker. This is true.

Also, I would say 1-3 are the best games. 1 and 2 are equal imo because they both have different goals. 3 is the best in the series and is the only game needed before 5. 1,2,4 are their own time-line following solid snake. 4 has the best payoff in the second half, worst post game cinema though.

5 is the most fun to play. But man the story is unresolved, I'll be honest with you about that.

Everything gets resolved, it just doesn't have a real thematic ending to the second chapter. The only part that is missing is the last mission which at least has a mock-up available as a video.

MGSV's shoestring story is still a step up from all the garbage in MGS4's story

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just play them in order. They're not that long, and each has a lot to recommend them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I didn't like MGS V at all but the gameplay was really good I'll give it that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, the first two share a lot in tone and theme, but otherwise they're all pretty distinct.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I was about to ask how long til we get a remaster of all the MGS games on modern platforms then I remembered Konami

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvl6Br1sto

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I loving hate bosses that regenerate their health, it's a lovely cheap gimmick.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

i just found out you can't use fist weapons in power armor in fallout 4 and i'm so upset.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

I loving hate bosses that regenerate their health, it's a lovely cheap gimmick.

It'd a decent way of punishing players for backing off too far in action games, although Bloodborne does that even better by just making you deal with shittier attacks for backing off. It's super lame in RPGs where you're barely out damaging the heal and it just drags the fight out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just play them in order. They're not that long, and each has a lot to recommend them.

I was gonna say, each one I beat (and generally really enjoyed) over a weekend when they were released. I haven't played 5 yet though and it's supposed to be longer I guess.

Like, you can totally spend weeks beating each of the games in different ways. I got like 12 hours of solid fun out of that MGS2 boat demo that came with that mech game. But if you're just playing through naturally and not replaying, they're all pretty short.

Play them all, VideoGames.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And again, you might be surprised by which one you like best.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I beat MGS3 by repeatedly puffing my knockout ciggy into The Boss' face and it owned.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
You'll play MGS1 and 2 and be happy with the arcade stealth but then you'll put in loving MGS3 and great now the radar's loving useless and now you've got to worry about this camoflage bullshit and it's so goddamn slow and who are all these boring characters and ugh no so you move on to MGS4 and it's sixteen billion hours of Kojima's autism, just a loving slog of him smelling his own farts and yessir more weird boss battles i hope you like looking at a wet woman's rear end as she writhes on the floor and begs you to kill her heehee kojima-san you are a character!!! okay so how about MGS5 well by god it's more loving plodding godawful not fun stealth action where you have to sit still for a billion hours trying to loving plot out a route or whatever except OOPSIE you didn't notice one guard so now the whole mission's hosed; BETTER START AGAIN. oh yeah and vagina-bomb. BUT THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE YOU GET A DOGGY AND REVOLVER OCELOT DOES A FUNNY

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you buy MGS3 these days, does it have necessarily have the new camera controls? I own the original, pre-Subsistence disc but I wouldn't mind having the better version too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cram me sideways posted:

You'll play MGS1 and 2 and be happy with the arcade stealth but then you'll put in loving MGS3 and great now the radar's loving useless and now you've got to worry about this camoflage bullshit and it's so goddamn slow and who are all these boring characters and ugh no so you move on to MGS4 and it's sixteen billion hours of Kojima's autism, just a loving slog of him smelling his own farts and yessir more weird boss battles i hope you like looking at a wet woman's rear end as she writhes on the floor and begs you to kill her heehee kojima-san you are a character!!! okay so how about MGS5 well by god it's more loving plodding godawful not fun stealth action where you have to sit still for a billion hours trying to loving plot out a route or whatever except OOPSIE you didn't notice one guard so now the whole mission's hosed; BETTER START AGAIN. oh yeah and vagina-bomb. BUT THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE YOU GET A DOGGY AND REVOLVER OCELOT DOES A FUNNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGGlLgWuR-Y

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cram me sideways posted:

I completely agree with you, don't let the inevitable dogpile discourage you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwLLYuHd5Q

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

If you buy MGS3 these days, does it have necessarily have the new camera controls? I own the original, pre-Subsistence disc but I wouldn't mind having the better version too.
The HD re-release has nearly all the Subsistence content, yes. (It's missing the Secret Theater, Metal Gear Online 1 and Snake vs. Monkey)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cram me sideways posted:

i didn't care much for MGS4 either.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jammin' the random button in preparation for a Dark Souls 2 playthrough.

Yeah this is my guy

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 3, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Skeezy posted:

I didn't like MGS V at all but the gameplay was really good I'll give it that.

I liked a bunch of the story ideas and conspets, but alot like bioshock infinite, storywise it felt Frankenstein together. but your right on the gameplay front. its best stealth game ever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh nooooo you guys sometimes games in a series change, instead of all being the same game forever, aaaaaaaaaa, let's freak the gently caress out aaaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh nooooo you guys sometimes games in a series change, instead of all being the same game forever, aaaaaaaaaa, let's freak the gently caress out aaaaaaaaaaa

That's what we're trying to tell you!

• Locked thread