Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's been a hot minute, what do you use on Sheikah Stones in adventure mode?

I used a harp on some butterflies and they turned into one and it's telling me I still need to use items.

The harp reveals enemies on the stage so you can actually play it, but there's a second secret hidden on that screen that you use a separate item to identify. Or possibly the other way around for some areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So everyone else may already know this, but I read some good advice for material farming. You usually won't get more than 4 weapons or so per stage, so a good way to make sure you get materials from enemies you want is to try and go for officers that drop materials you don't care about, and hope they drop weapons instead. This explains the generic officers' presence in the "Kill the giant bosses" levels, if you go for them first they might drop weapons, increasing the chance you get a material from the giant boss instead of a weapon.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dunban posted:

The baton is such a terrible weapon.

It's not awful. Use C3 to gather up mooks and then C2 spam them for a while. C4 (or 5, whatever is highest) is your keep clearer.

Don't bother with the heavy attack or literally anything else the weapon does, because the C3/C2 spam is more than enough to handle everything. Plus it slows the game down so much you have plenty of time to plan your moves :D

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
It's also the best weapon for any 'All Attacks are Devastating' missions that let you use it. Just keep using the Strong Attack over and over and sweep up the map.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a way to take down Phantom Ganon other than "whack on him to build the magic bar"?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Hey Oxyclean, are you still around? Can we get an OP update? (If you don't have time I can write the text I guess...)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bruceski posted:

Is there a way to take down Phantom Ganon other than "whack on him to build the magic bar"?

First 50%, you can knock back his little red or white orbs standard Zelda style. Second 50% yes, you just smack him around a whole bunch until he takes a knee.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Emalde posted:

First 50%, you can knock back his little red or white orbs standard Zelda style. Second 50% yes, you just smack him around a whole bunch until he takes a knee.

Whenever I tried that I'd get smacked.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Folt The Bolt posted:

... the trident could have been a bit better than it ended up being.

You've said something like this before and I just don't understand it at all. You're the reason I set my expectations low for the trident, only for them to be blown sky high when I actually tried it out. You've gotta be doing something wrong because the trident is basically my new favorite thing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

liquidypoo posted:

You've said something like this before and I just don't understand it at all. You're the reason I set my expectations low for the trident, only for them to be blown sky high when I actually tried it out. You've gotta be doing something wrong because the trident is basically my new favorite thing.

It's not a bad weapon by any means. It's just that it has to compete with Great Swords for what weapon I'm actually gonna use with Ganondorf, and the Trident is outclassed in just about every way by the Great Swords it's not even funny because Great Swords is an exceedingly broken top tier weapon.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Whenever I tried that I'd get smacked.

You have to attack his back, otherwise he'll block and counter.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Great Swords are slow and they suck. The Not So Great Swords.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Emalde posted:

I just beat up Phantom Ganon last night. I had no idea what I was doing the whole time. Sometimes his weakpoint gauge would show and I'd smack it. When I had Focus Spirit charged I'd force him to show his weakpoint gauge. I beat him and I had no idea what I was doing. I felt I didn't deserve a win...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

The Great Swords are slow and they suck. The Not So Great Swords.

It doesn't matter if they're slow. C6 (and C5 and fully charged C1 to a lesser extent) owns large groups of mooks while C3 and C4 owns smaller groups of mooks (but faster) making Ganondorf a king of mook killing. C2 is a launcher and the first part of C2 + attack string is sufficient enough for triggering Weak Point Smashes on enemies, spaced C3 owns from far away, effectively zoning the stronger enemies out, and can take out WPGs from a distance, and then there's fully charged C1 that deals as much damage as other officers would deal out in a full combo and 100% applies the darkness effect for a 100% guaranteed darkness-enhanced Weak Point Smash if you happened to hit them as they were showing their WPG (C3 also has a chance, if smaller, to apply the darkness effect to the enemy for a strengthened WPS). And in multiple officer situations, fully charged C1 and C6 (and C5 to a lesser extent) are excellent zoning tools to keep enemies away and Ganondorf safe.

Meanwhile, fully charged C1 and C5 are excellent for giant bosses and are sufficient to take down three of the four normal bosses in the original Hyrule Warriors without the need for a special or hasty attacks while fully charged C1 -> dodge cancel -> C5 -> dodge cancel -> C3 takes care of every boss's WPG in Hyrule Warriors Legends without need for a special or hasty attacks (though the timing is extremely tight on the Imprisoned which would have been a bigger problem if Great Swords Ganondorf didn't have such an easy time breaking it's toes in the first place, meaning more opportunities for hacking at it's WPG). Oh, and almost every attack can be dodge cancelled on nearly all of their active frames, while C6 has a couple shockwaves to stop enemies in their tracks and fully charged C1 makes Ganondorf invincible during the start-up, making Great Swords extremely safe to use and the second safest moveset in the entire game. Great Swords!Ganondorf is pretty loving amazing and only behind Master Sword!Link, Volga, and Young Link for best character/moveset in the game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like throwing the trident though and I didn't read any of that post.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I hit things until they die. Sometimes I hit things with a different weapon until they die.

Spear:
--Fast
--Good range
---C1 is faster than running, though it gets tedious.

Swords:
--Punch
--More punching
--Big shadowy punch
--HUUUUUUWAAAGH!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Great Sword Gannondorf's ridiculous vulnerability period means I don't particularly care how strong he is most of the time honestly, when a single mistiming of your insane weak periods means you get hit and maybe lose an A-rank. I'd put him well below a lot of other characters who don't have to wait several small eternities to pull off attacks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I like throwing the trident though and I didn't read any of that post.

Then let me simplify the explanation so that even your brain will understand:

Great Swords!Ganondorf:
+ High damage all around.
+ Good projectile and shockwave AoE moves for zoning out the harder enemies or killing a ridiculous number of mooks.
+ Fully charged C1 is amazing for all situations, and the ability to charge it on command is amazing.
+ Can take down three of the four giant boss Weak Point Gauges without the need for Hasty Attacks or a stored Special Attack.
+ Can 100% guaranteed apply the darkness effect on an enemy to make Weak Point Smash deal more damage.
+ Weak Point Smash on giant bosses is one of the strongest in the game, dealing very high damage.
+ No real useless moves in his moveset. They're all usable.
+ Can combo every enemy officer but Moblins to death.
+ Can dodge cancel most of his moves on any active frame, effectively letting you slip out of trouble before trouble hits you (for example if you messed up and the enemy closed in and is rearing up for a hit faster than you thought they would).
- Not as good as Master Sword!Link, Volga, or Young Link, the top three best characters/movesets in the game.

Trident!Ganondorf:
+ Good number of aggressive options.
+ C1, C2, C3, and C5 are all launchers so you can get to comboing.
+ Has aerial follow-ups.
+ C4 is a good AoE move with deceptively high damage.
+ Can take down Argorok's WPG in one go without the need for Hasty Attacks or Special, the only boss out of the four normal bosses which Great Swords can't take down
+ Again, no real useless moves in his moveset. Perhaps a couple average ones, but no bad ones. They're all usable.
- C2, C5, and C6 leaves you in the air which is bad since that means enemies get free potshots so long as you stay airborne.
- C3 and C4 cannot be dodge-cancelled at any point, meaning enemies get free potshots if they block or dodge them, or you simply miss.
- Due to the above minuses, the Trident is ironically extremely unsafe compared to the slower Great Swords. Extremely bad for a weapon that's supposed to get in the middle of things.
- Damage output on Trident is not very high which means it kills slower, and the AoE effect on it's two AoE moves are less than the Great Swords' which hurts mook killing.
- Can only take down two of the four normal bosses without Hasty Attacks or Special Attack.
- WPS damage on Giant Bosses is decidedly average.
- Great Swords exist. Aggressive close-range options and combo starters? Great Sword's C2 (and even C4 to a lesser extent) got you covered. AoE? C5 and C6 for large groups of mooks, while C3 takes care of smaller groups. Higher damage on Great Swords? You bet! Zoning options for when you want to keep your distance? C3 and C6 (and C5 to a lesser extent). Want a move for every situation? Fully charged C1. Can you charge said move for every situation at will? Sure, let's do that to! The ability to dodge cancel almost every move at any time meaning the moveset is incredibly safe? Oh yeah!

It's even more ridiculous in Legends where the smaller amount of enemies on screen actually makes it incredibly clear how much the Great Swords outclass the Trident in terms of killing a large amount of mooks in little time. Not to mention that Great Swords now takes down every boss WPG without hasty attacks or special whereas Trident can now take down... *drumroll* Manhandla's WPG... :v:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Folt The Bolt posted:

condescension followed by a lot of words

Well the trident is new and shiny and fun. Also the giant monster weak point smash is just fantastic. Load up your Wii U Hurl Wars so you can see it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

liquidypoo posted:

Well the trident is new and shiny and fun. Also the giant monster weak point smash is just fantastic. Load up your Wii U Hurl Wars so you can see it.

I have seen it. I have even played with it. The Great Swords remain supreme.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Well the Imprisoned is still a piece of poo poo in Legends, I see.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Eh, he's *better* and since the mini-imprisoneds give mats he's much less necessary to fight.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

So, I wanted to just find out on my own but now I'm getting impatient. Where do I find Tetra and general wind waker stuff? Is it in legends or adventure mode? I really want to play as Tetra and I need those materials to upgrade any new characters.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vince Videogames posted:

So, I wanted to just find out on my own but now I'm getting impatient. Where do I find Tetra and general wind waker stuff? Is it in legends or adventure mode? I really want to play as Tetra and I need those materials to upgrade any new characters.

You have to finish Legends mode, Cia's Tale and Linkle's Story before Tetra's stuff shows up and you unlock her.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

codenameFANGIO posted:

He's still a piece of poo poo, but at least he doesn't arbitrarily decide to get up when his Weak Point gauge is half empty anymore.

With that, Manhandla stole his "Biggest Piece of poo poo" crown.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The trident is the Best weapon in the game until you get the master sword.

Doing trident C4 3 times takes about as much time as doing great swords C5 once, and you don't have huge amounts of vulnerability frames in the meantime. Trident C3 3 times is enough to destroy everything except a character boss or a giant boss. Great swords are awesome for legend mode (once you unlock the knockback badges) but they're too drat risky for adventure mode due to the A rank requirement.

The only place trident is actually lacking is the WPG for giant bosses. My goto combo right now is C5 twice and then quickly using a special, which will take it out. If you don't have a special then you're SOL though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've literally been asking for the Trident since day 1. I wish they had blue pig Ganon as a playable character too.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Linkle is fantastic, even with just two of her combos unlocked.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mastajake posted:

The trident is the Best weapon in the game until you get the master sword.

Doing trident C4 3 times takes about as much time as doing great swords C5 once, and you don't have huge amounts of vulnerability frames in the meantime. Trident C3 3 times is enough to destroy everything except a character boss or a giant boss. Great swords are awesome for legend mode (once you unlock the knockback badges) but they're too drat risky for adventure mode due to the A rank requirement.

The only place trident is actually lacking is the WPG for giant bosses. My goto combo right now is C5 twice and then quickly using a special, which will take it out. If you don't have a special then you're SOL though.
Great Sword can literally dodge out of a bad situation at just about any point during C5. And if you somehow got C1 charged during that time, then say goodbye to the enemies.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Great Sword can literally dodge out of a bad situation at just about any point during C5. And if you somehow got C1 charged during that time, then say goodbye to the enemies.

I'll concede that I was unaware he could dodge in his combos. However, if that happens it adds even more time on to his already long attack sequence.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mastajake posted:

I'll concede that I was unaware he could dodge in his combos. However, if that happens it adds even more time on to his already long attack sequence.

Note that every attack of his can charge C1. C1 fully charged basically gives you an "I win" button that deals a huge amount of damage (enough damage to basically make up for missed hits) but, more importantly, knocks the enemy away if it doesn't kill them outright. If someone survives his C1, you can simply use C3 to attack from afar, essentially zoning them all out, then run in and C1 again when it's fully charged and repeat the process. Or, if there's more enemies, they should be far away enough that you can get out a C6 which they have to eat if they want to hit Ganondorf.

Notably, two dodge-cancelled C4s gives you a fully charged C1 ready for use, letting you set up a C3 spam or an attempt at hitting an enemy WPG (C1 to Weak Point Smash takes off a huge amount of damage on any officers or character enemies because it gets enhanced by the darkness effect).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Really here's what it comes down to.
Great: <insert whoever clicks for you here>
Perfectly good: almost everyone else.
Poor: Deku Stick, Agatha (I'd uprank her if the butterfly actually HIT anything, but as it is a great C3 can't fix her)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

It's actually more like (none of them in a particular order):

Godly: Master Sword!Link, Great Swords!Ganondorf, Volga, Young Link, maybe Skull Kid
Great: Gauntlets!Link, Sheik, Zant, Ghirahim, Cia, Wizzro, Twili Midna, definitely Skull Kid if he's not godly
In-between great and bottom: Everything else not mentioned above or below.
Bottom of the bunch: Great Fairy!Link, Giant Blade!Impa, Spear!Lana, Summoning Gate!Lana, Fi

Of course, we should note that even the worst of the bunch in Hyrule Warriors can actually A Rank missions and has something they can use to do it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Silver Falcon posted:

He's still a piece of poo poo, but at least he doesn't arbitrarily decide to get up when his Weak Point gauge is half empty anymore.

With that, Manhandla stole his "Biggest Piece of poo poo" crown.

Still don't have a good solution to avoid Manhandla's spit attack. Is there a tell when he going to do it instead of his heads being valuable?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rirse posted:

Still don't have a good solution to avoid Manhandla's spit attack. Is there a tell when he going to do it instead of his heads being valuable?

I think you are meant to just block that attack.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Rirse posted:

Simply blocking solves a lot of things about that attack.

(In fact, my advice when dealing with Manhandla is to always hold the block button in case Manhandla decides to do that attack, then once it's finished, you're in the perfect position to kill off some of it's heads.)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, just always block around him. When he does his rare random charging around the arena thing, keep holding block and jump backwards when he gets near. No attack of his will land if you do that.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Tell me how you are supposed to avoid Imprisoned's fuckin' lightning attack because I haven't figured that out yet.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Tell me how you are supposed to avoid Imprisoned's fuckin' lightning attack because I haven't figured that out yet.

The lightning never hits right next to The Imprisoned, which makes it a grand opportunity to get in there and bust some toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

mastajake posted:

Yeah, just always block around him. When he does his rare random charging around the arena thing, keep holding block and jump backwards when he gets near. No attack of his will land if you do that.

And then the other one comes up behind you and bullet seeds.

• Locked thread