Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist

Gaj posted:

Ok so I have put in some 300 hours into this game and I can now reliably claw my way from a Count to a King all while castrating my wayward sons and killing my brothers. But how the gently caress do you deal with vassals attacking neighbors or inter-Ducal wars for titles that dont directly affect you. Is there any way through laws or national developments to make your counts less dickish in this regard? My only alternative is to somehow create a surplus of eunuchs to act as Counts.

Get crown authority as high as you can. I was regularly getting my border marches devastated when my idiot vassals on the border decided to pick fights with the Abbasids or Byzantines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

gently caress, Paradox put in the goddamn effort to make a goddamn Will system so a player can actually gently caress around with and see what gets inherited and maybe change between the equivalent titles and not just have to find out how poo poo works when they die or having to hover over assholes to see who gets what. Seriously, have a button to click to see which of your lovely offspring gets what, why and let the player flit it around, assign more or less titles to kids and other things. How complicated can it be to just let the player see how things work and then let them influence it?

And for elective, showing which states will break off with inheritance.

Then making the will part optional as you move away from gavelkind to other things; like how maybe you want one of your nice sons to inherit a nice duchy, but don't feel like giving it to him now.

Yeah it really sucks how obtuse and random inheritance seems. I suppose I should have kept my eye on the title losses on succession but I think what happened is that because I created two kingdom titles they had to be split between my two children. For some reason Kislev didn't go to my primary heir and so the duchy went to my other daughter. My primary heir inherited the other kingdom but because I didn't directly control any provinces in it, it just randomly revoked a duchy and gave me that instead. What I should have done was give the secondary kingdom to my cousin but I was trying to figure out why I couldn't give it to the city state, I suspect because the patrician wasn't of my dynasty.

I guess this will teach me not to play on ironman.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I'm quite conflicted on Conclave. On the one hand I really like all the vassal stuff. On the other hand I don't like the education stuff very much. It might have improved in the few weeks since I played it though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah it really sucks how obtuse and random inheritance seems. I suppose I should have kept my eye on the title losses on succession but I think what happened is that because I created two kingdom titles they had to be split between my two children. For some reason Kislev didn't go to my primary heir and so the duchy went to my other daughter. My primary heir inherited the other kingdom but because I didn't directly control any provinces in it, it just randomly revoked a duchy and gave me that instead. What I should have done was give the secondary kingdom to my cousin but I was trying to figure out why I couldn't give it to the city state, I suspect because the patrician wasn't of my dynasty.

I guess this will teach me not to play on ironman.

What you should have done was not made a second kingdom until you had a better succession law. Not something you want to do unless you have ultimo, primo, seniority, or something like that where one heir gets everything. And you can't grant kingdoms to vassal merchant republics. You can transfer vassalage of everyone within the de jure kingdom to the republic and they'll make the title on their own provided you are an emperor, but they take their time sweet time occasionally.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 3, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, I thought that all titles these days were created with gavelkind? It certainly seems that way sometimes.

Sigh.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Archaeology Hat posted:

I'm quite conflicted on Conclave. On the one hand I really like all the vassal stuff. On the other hand I don't like the education stuff very much. It might have improved in the few weeks since I played it though.

I hate the education poo poo, I no longer care about having good courtiers for educating my children and I have to click through twice for each kid on usually the same choice over and over for each loving kid. It's pretty much emblematic of one of the bad sides of Paradox's style, introducing something super tedious, random, and undocumented that gives pretty much no benefit but will gently caress you if you don't do it.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

Wait, I thought that all titles these days were created with gavelkind? It certainly seems that way sometimes.

Sigh.

Elective Gavelkind that tribals start out with creates additional titles for sons if you have the territory. Regular gavelkind won't.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

gently caress, Paradox put in the goddamn effort to make a goddamn Will system so a player can actually gently caress around with and see what gets inherited and maybe change between the equivalent titles and not just have to find out how poo poo works when they die or having to hover over assholes to see who gets what. Seriously, have a button to click to see which of your lovely offspring gets what, why and let the player flit it around, assign more or less titles to kids and other things. How complicated can it be to just let the player see how things work and then let them influence it?

And for elective, showing which states will break off with inheritance.

Then making the will part optional as you move away from gavelkind to other things; like how maybe you want one of your nice sons to inherit a nice duchy, but don't feel like giving it to him now.

A thousand times this.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Angstrom Gothington posted:

Elective Gavelkind that tribals start out with creates additional titles for sons if you have the territory. Regular gavelkind won't.
No, I mean that it defaults to gavelkind at all times when a title is created, usually because you grant a dude a country, which is gavelkind, then grant him a duchy with your laws but his over-ride yours for some reason.

I remember being annoyed at this, but also finding it inconsistent, because sometimes they'd inherit my laws (specifically the centralization) and sometimes not.

Elias_Maluco posted:

A thousand times this.
Slide a title over to this kid. Oh no, it's now unbalanced, so you have to balance it again! You give one of them the duchy title and counties to a bunch, but you decide who gets what. You have a certain amount of leeway, but not super much.

Oh man, and if its too unbalanced, the will is contested and war automatically breaks out. Saves time fighting for claims I guess?

Although this is a hassle, too. The 30% gavelkind gives to demesne isn't really enough for any sensible stuff. Though sometimes I wonder if I could just survive by having the capital full of castles and whatnot...

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, I'm pretty sure Gavelkind hands out your extra baronies too if you don't have any extra counties.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I'm fairly new to the game, but wouldn't all these succession issues with gavelkind be taken care of by switching to one of the elective ones? Your elected heir gets all the titles then anyway right? Sure, you don't get to know for sure whom out of your dynasty will get to be the heir (tho you have alot of control over it), but when it just goes automatically to your oldest son, you not only lose half your demesne most times, but he could grow up to be a complete retard. Between your votes and your vassals vote, you're going to end up with an heir that is at least pretty competent. The demesne size bonus with gavelkind usually only seems to give you an extra 1, maybe 2 holdings most times anyway.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The B_36 posted:

I'm fairly new to the game, but wouldn't all these succession issues with gavelkind be taken care of by switching to one of the elective ones? Your elected heir gets all the titles then anyway right? Sure, you don't get to know for sure whom out of your dynasty will get to be the heir (tho you have alot of control over it), but when it just goes automatically to your oldest son, you not only lose half your demesne most times, but he could grow up to be a complete retard. Between your votes and your vassals vote, you're going to end up with an heir that is at least pretty competent. The demesne size bonus with gavelkind usually only seems to give you an extra 1, maybe 2 holdings most times anyway.

Under gavelkind, regardless of elective or normal, your titles are split up between all of your heirs if possible. There are other ones you can switch to like normal elective, in which your elected heir inherits everything, but not everyone starts able to switch succession law. Tribals and / or unreformed pagans are stuck with gavelkind.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The B_36 posted:

Fact is, unless you're talking about Tanistry, Elective doesn't guarantee that the heir will be of your dynasty. Any person of your dynasty or any elector is eligible, and if you're not well liked they might well rally behind one of their own to screw you out of your title - happens quite often if your old ruler who was loved passes away, you're now playing the heir but everybody kinda hates you so they cast their votes for someone else, and then you die before you can make them change their minds. Mysterious circumstances and all that.

Sure you can usually claw your way back to the title with claims, gifts or favours but it's a pain. Still beats gavelkind of course, but I can see why someone prefers primogeniture and just weathers through the occasional dumb, lovely first-born. Or send him to lead a 1k army against the Mongols in plague-ridden counties so that the second-born genius son can take his rightful place.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Elective Monarchy is probably the best one. In the Warhammer and After the End mods you can get it at low crown authority and it does limit electors to your dynasty but I'm not actually sure if it's in the base game.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Nomad succession is fun cos usually you first end up going through all of your brothers, and then the next generation heirs will be the kids of the youngest/dumbest brother, typically educated by inexplicable Catholic indulgent wastrels.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Nomad succession is fun cos usually you first end up going through all of your brothers, and then the next generation heirs will be the kids of the youngest/dumbest brother, typically educated by inexplicable Catholic indulgent wastrels.
I remember when I died and for some reason one of my uncles, half-forgetten and idiotic, had managed to claw his way to prestige by marrying an old biddy from a good dynasty.

Did make it a bit of a hassle, when suddenly I'm the only sunni, fighting the caliph, as the head of the zorastrian empire of horse people and co, but still.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ras Het posted:

Nomad succession is pretty easy to control, just make the heir you want a mercenary band captain and he will usually amass enough prestige to be number 1 in the line. Very few times this failed for me

The only easier succession law is muslim

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 4, 2016

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

The only easier succession law is muslin

Is this where the one with softest skin gets the throne? :v:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Sighhhhh.

Why can I not give my feudal vassals king titles. Why can I not make king level theocracies or Merchant Republics.

The reasoning behind it is most likely "meta-gamers" but it's very tiresome. You know brother, I want to give you the kingdom of Wales, but sorry! The only way as far as I can tell is to take your heir, grant him a tribal county, give him the king title, with all vassals and then maybe, maybe it will work.

All it means if you don't do poo poo like this, is that you end up losing a lot of time and effort going around it, by giving them all of the dukedoms or stupid shenanigans, when there was no real reason to do it for anyone, even the nomads where I at least found it sorta fitting.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'm trying to restore the original boundaries of the Roman Empire, but I'm running up against Threat limits really hard. This isn't so much a problem when fighting Muslims, but fighting Christians is a giant pain in the dick. I ended up spending like 2k gold and 50k+ men fighting Threat Pacts dudes to reconquer Carthinia.

Basically, my new strategy is to wait for people to rebel and then conquer them instead. Rebels don't join threat pacts. I'm also kind of concerned about the impending Aztec and Mongol Invasions in the 1200s. I dunno. It's 1084 now, and I'm about 2/3rds of the way through conquering.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Neither the Aztecs or the Mongols are really a threat anymore. The Aztecs will hit Mauretania and the British Isles, take some territory there, then almost immediately get converted to Christianity by missionaries and sit there doing nothing with their doomstacks for the rest of the game. The mongols are really only dangerous if you're out on the Steppe. They'll usually run out of steam by the time they start getting close to the Byzantine territory. They're also a lot less aggressive than they used to be because their invasion CB is the new Nomad invasion, which requires their population to be >90% of their capacity to use it. They'll basically never hit that after they take a few counties.

As for threat, is it one big Christian nation giving you trouble or just a bunch of tiny ones? If it's a big one like the HRE or something, try arranging a marriage to get a non-aggression pact. Anyone with a NAP with you can't join defensive pacts against you, so you can use them to keep the strongest nations out of the fight. If it's a bunch of tiny ones, then basically just ignore the warnings and go ahead and attack anyway - they'll have a lot of troops in TOTAL but they'll be spread out all over the place and you can easily pick them off with a fraction of your total forces while your main army hits the war target.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

A White Guy posted:

I'm trying to restore the original boundaries of the Roman Empire, but I'm running up against Threat limits really hard. This isn't so much a problem when fighting Muslims, but fighting Christians is a giant pain in the dick. I ended up spending like 2k gold and 50k+ men fighting Threat Pacts dudes to reconquer Carthinia.

Basically, my new strategy is to wait for people to rebel and then conquer them instead. Rebels don't join threat pacts. I'm also kind of concerned about the impending Aztec and Mongol Invasions in the 1200s. I dunno. It's 1084 now, and I'm about 2/3rds of the way through conquering.

My advice would be to scheme and marry moreso, since if successful you get a shitton more land for a lot less hassle that way. Not to mention that the ones you get in bed with can't join Threat Pacts against you, even if you can't ally yourself with them. Ofc the issue is you might miss out on all the special Roman prestige events, as you didn't conquer the old provinces, but hey...worth taking that hit if you can gain an entire large kingdom through bed.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 4, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sighhhhh.

Why can I not give my feudal vassals king titles. Why can I not make king level theocracies or Merchant Republics.

The reasoning behind it is most likely "meta-gamers" but it's very tiresome. You know brother, I want to give you the kingdom of Wales, but sorry! The only way as far as I can tell is to take your heir, grant him a tribal county, give him the king title, with all vassals and then maybe, maybe it will work.

All it means if you don't do poo poo like this, is that you end up losing a lot of time and effort going around it, by giving them all of the dukedoms or stupid shenanigans, when there was no real reason to do it for anyone, even the nomads where I at least found it sorta fitting.

It kinda makes sense for nomads since it makes vassal limit management a little harder when you get huge. For feudals I dont think there is a fair enough reason to not create kingdom level republics and theocracies so I will just use the console.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is there any way to force your kids into the church?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You can force non-primary heirs to Take vows as a Christian. Think it's a Sons of Abraham feature.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
You can also force your primary heir to do it if you imprison them!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Darkrenown posted:

You can force non-primary heirs to Take vows as a Christian. Think it's a Sons of Abraham feature.

Even if they will inherit stuff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can't make anyone take the vows if they are a current heir to something, unless you imprison them first. If you're Catholic and have free investiture though, you can set them up as the successor to a bishop somewhere and arrange an "accident" for said bishop; they'll automatically be disqualified from feudal succession when they inherit the bishopric.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

It kinda makes sense for nomads since it makes vassal limit management a little harder when you get huge. For feudals I dont think there is a fair enough reason to not create kingdom level republics and theocracies so I will just use the console.
Alas, I'm ironmanning. I might be able to screw around with it and get it to work; I'll see how it goes.

Question: do your own parents scheme against you for the crown if you're their primary heir? Curious.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Are there any drawbacks to raising crown authority as high as is feasible and lowering levee requirements (from the burghers, nobles and clergy) to zero to somewhat offset the opinion penalty?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BigRoman posted:

Are there any drawbacks to raising crown authority as high as is feasible and lowering levee requirements (from the burghers, nobles and clergy) to zero to somewhat offset the opinion penalty?

Everyone hates you and you have a much smaller army.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jedit posted:

Everyone hates you and you have a much smaller army.

What could possibly go wrong?

Btw how do you all set the taxes / levies sliders? I tend to mostly ignore them, maybe raise taxes for the mayors but that's it. I guess it's not efficient but I am afraid to gently caress things up.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/development-diary-4-dont-call-me-shirley.917896/

We're going back to Call To Arms.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can't make anyone take the vows if they are a current heir to something, unless you imprison them first. If you're Catholic and have free investiture though, you can set them up as the successor to a bishop somewhere and arrange an "accident" for said bishop; they'll automatically be disqualified from feudal succession when they inherit the bishopric.

I could be misremembering, but I thought you couldn't appoint your primary heir as successor to a bishopric either.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Now then, as some of you might know, these days we actually have a dedicated Audio Director at Paradox

I bought CK2 pretty much at release date, and the first thing I did when I installed it was mute all audio, and it has remained so. Madness.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I can see why, though it sorta made me sad. I don't mind getting dragged into wars and it meant they were a lot more, meaningful, when you got them.

Ras Het posted:

Now then, as some of you might know, these days we actually have a dedicated Audio Director at Paradox

I bought CK2 pretty much at release date, and the first thing I did when I installed it was mute all audio, and it has remained so. Madness.
Yeah, I mean, I could only hear the same old songs for so long before I just turned on themed youtube playlists.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just started playing After the End, the last time I looked at it the map was only New England. Pretty drat fun, you guys did a great job at it. I watched a couple episodes of Arumba playing it, and that made me decide to install it again.

One thing he talked about in the stream was the banker spam. I decided to try the same character he did, and agree completely. There is already a toggle to disable requests, so maybe that should be changed to enable requests, and they are automatically accepted. And repayments should be automatic as well and not pop up an event. You might also want to add a vassalization CB when someone doesn't pay back a loan, because right now there isn't anything you can do about it. From a player perspective, there is also no real downside to not paying them back.

Also also, Anabaptists have basically nothing they can do, maybe by design? Tried out a game as Bruce Wayne, and the religion was basically useless. Ended up converting to Occultist at some point because they could at least do things.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

SeaTard posted:

Also also, Anabaptists have basically nothing they can do, maybe by design? Tried out a game as Bruce Wayne, and the religion was basically useless. Ended up converting to Occultist at some point because they could at least do things.

The game I played as an upstart Kingdom of Gotham (formed by the Count of Long Island joining the New York merchant republic and expanding within it by taking out other vassals through forged claims and then having having to console independence when it was a foregone conclusion because you can't start independence revolts or factions as a merchant republic vassal???) playing tug-of-war with the established Anabaptist powers in Huronia and Diestrich (??) was fun largely because both of them could crush me for a long rear end time and so playing one off the other and maintaining a three-way incestuous dynastic marriage alliance system was what I needed to do to survive. Often I could barely get anything done without Huronia's help. It was pretty fun but once I did get established and modestly powerful, I wanted to expand into New England and, welp, can't really do that if you can't holy war. So I arranged for my heir to become Ursaline. This modestly damaged my rep with my former Anabaptist co-religionists but not enough to screw me because I was still Christian, after all. I took a whole lot of New England before the British Invasion happened and lost it all to an immortal deathstack. By the time I quit an Ursaline crusade against them had consumed probably two entire generations of fighting-aged men.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Diestrich (??)
Deitscherei. Literally just "Pennsylvania Dutch Country" in Pennsylvania Dutch, 'cos I was spergin' out about all that when Pennsylvania was being added in.

But yeah, Anabaptists kinda suffer from being both Christian and being one of the things added real early on, so it's comparatively underdeveloped by the standards of the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The flipside is that as a religion for the AI, it owns hard because while it may not get many interesting CBs, it has the Jain bonus to demesne size and vassal opinion without some of the brakes on militarism (iirc, correct me if I'm wrong!). This makes it possible for them to be huge powerful stable blobs. The only times Deitscherei collapsed in any similar game was when it somehow ended up as some other religion. Huronia was a massive pain in the rear end powerhouse forever and only got bigger with time.

• Locked thread