Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I care. I would actually like it if people didn't shitpost in here.

FRINGE posted:

A lot of the threads are potentially converging.

Bellamy is the thing that bothered me the most, but at this point I just see him as a sadbrain PTSD kid who fell in with a comfortable authority figure and is trying to dig his way back out again.
There's a lot of bluster about wiping out the other side in both plots, but I think there hasn't been any plotline crossover since Pike's massacre.

And it's one thing for Bellamy to vote for Pike, but for him to actually go out and help butcher about a hundred sleeping allies (except spare Indra because "my sister!") really broke the character in a Finn-esque way where I just want him dead now.

Astroman posted:

You're right about the disparate elements. There are a lot of moving parts and the writers can't seem to manage them all. There's the plot of the Pike vs Kane in Arcadia, Clarke and Murphy's court intrigues in Bartertown (including Lexa, Ice Nation, etc and all the politics), Arcadia vs Grounders, the Team Octavia plot to act as go betweens, Jaha's City of Light Cult, and the whole overarching plot of AI vs AI from 80 years ago. As a result, whole episodes go by where we don't even see major characters and they don't touch on certain plotlines. Contrast this to a heavily serialized show like BSG, where there were sometimes A, B, and C plots but everything flowed much better.

If there's any criticism of Rothenberg to be made it's probably this. The writers need an editor. Or perhaps someone to manage them. Or, say, Run the Show...
It only just occurred to me the weird way they had the early season Grounder politics be about a Leader trying to crush the pro-war Conspirators secretly-to-openly scheming against her, and now in Arkadia it's about the Conspirators scheming against their pro-war Leader. If these had run concurrently it might have made for a nice parallell, (maybe have Pike and Lexa have some similarities, even?) but it just seems like lazy writing to me now...Is that fair to say?

enraged_camel posted:

In front of everyone... you mean the six or so guards that were there? Because no one else in Arcadia saw it. They did it outside the gates, rather than in the public square (which is where you'd expect an execution like this to take place).
Yeah, when the camera panned around them, I was really expecting a crowd shot, but no. It looked like the same handful of guards that had all three of the executionees on their knees in that corridor ten minutes ago.

EDIT:

Troposphere posted:

I'm talking about television not writing my doctorate thesis, BabyFur Denny
You're not doing that though. I'm fine with you actually posting about the show, but you replying to every single person replying to you is at best annoying trolling and at worst pure awful self-centred forum-addicted gooniness.

double edit: literally your last TEN posts were not related to the show.

Rhyno posted:

Exactly. I'm sure she has plenty of valid things to add to the discussion but I'm pretty much blowing her off as a tumblr warrior because of her inability to post like an adult.
Then put on ignore, or don't reply maybe?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rhyno posted:

I'm just curious, are you incapable of ending your posts with a period?

Periods are in short supply on this forum.

I have a few extra's so I don't mind sharing. Anyone who needs one should take one.

.........................................................................................................................

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VagueRant posted:

So uh just to talk about the actual episode instead of posting about posters posting about posts for a second...

Lincoln's execution honestly just confused me. Why bother bringing them outside if you're just going to shoot them in the head in front of six guards? Why couldn't they do that in that hallway? I mean, there's cleanup either way. I did think that outside of the overall downturn of the show and social media controversies, Lincoln's final lines were pretty classy and I genuinely felt for Octavia, before he made his inevitable sacrifice and after.

Also: Titus's death was pretty fuckin' rad.

But I think the show is in a bit of a nosedive right now. Despite the deaths, it feels like there are too many people in the cast and they're way too disparate. This feels like the first time we've seen Abby in months, and I have no idea where Raven, Jaha and Jasper are at. Then you've got Bellamy's characterisation being ALL OVER THE PLACE.

My other issue is that it just feels like the show drags in a lot of parts. It's really hard to put this into words, or explain quite why, that's the nature of the intangible "watchability" of a show. But it's unengaging and not...easy to watch I guess? Maybe it's because I've been bingewatching the show Banshee which for all it's problems you can just fly through episode after episode - there's a great pace and scenes lead into scenes, and it keeps you on the couch.

Whereas in The 100, there's just something about the way when Murphy and Clarke trundle into the "hole that leads out of Polis" set only to have Charles Vane turn up and deliver his "next time i see you we won't be friends" line with all the conviction and passion of a man ordering takeout, and Murphy visibly sags with the inevitability of their plotline and spells out "we're not leaving, are we?" - I'm just very aware that I'm sitting (bored) through a TV show, not looking through a window into another world.

sorry that was complete rambling nonsense, please resume complaining about twitter or whatever

I think the part about Lincoln's execution is a bit of a weird nitpick, and saying the show is in "a bit of a nosedive" is an overreaction, but you're right about the other parts. I think the weirdness is due to the expansion of the show's scale, where suddenly there's this whole other nation of grounders that we never heard of before that are also at odds with the grounders that we already know, and there's this whole other, bigger grounder HQ that everyone's suddenly hanging out at now instead of the one that we'd seen for the first two seasons, and then of course there's the whole City of Light / dueling AIs thing, and it feels like they didn't really plan ahead well to juggle all these plot threads. That said, I still think this season is a lot more interesting and compelling than season 2 and I hope they tie all the threads together well by the end of the season.

Your posts are loving terrible and you turn into a gigantic baby when called out on them, please stop.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 3, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rhyno posted:

Exactly. I'm sure she has plenty of valid things to add to the discussion but I'm pretty much blowing her off as a tumblr warrior because of her inability to post like an adult.

You're wrong about her having valid things to add to the discussion, just like you're wrong to dismiss her for such a stupid reason. Language changes all the time. People two hundred years ago could say the same thing about the way we write today.
Stop being a grammar nazi.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dalael posted:

You're wrong about her having valid things to add to the discussion, just like you're wrong to dismiss her for such a stupid reason. Language changes all the time. People two hundred years ago could say the same thing about the way we write today.
Stop being a grammar nazi.

When exactly did we decide that periods are no long needed? I was unaware that language had made that change this week.

It's not an unreasonable request that everyone be held to the same standard, hell it used to be a rule here.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My only real disagreement with Lincoln's death was the excessive detail they showed it in. It's not that I'm morally opposed to that sort of thing, it's just that it seemed weird and jarring and largely unnecessary. It was powerful enough when we saw it from a distance, the same way Octavia did. The close-ups and the poorly-rendered gore spilling out of his head just distracted and detracted from the emotional impact of the scene, rather than adding to it. Sometimes less is more, you know?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spergatory posted:

My only real disagreement with Lincoln's death was the excessive detail they showed it in. It's not that I'm morally opposed to that sort of thing, it's just that it seemed weird and jarring and largely unnecessary. It was powerful enough when we saw it from a distance, the same way Octavia did. The close-ups and the poorly-rendered gore spilling out of his head just distracted and detracted from the emotional impact of the scene, rather than adding to it. Sometimes less is more, you know?

I would put money on it being Rothenberg's final "gently caress you" to the actor.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Rhyno posted:

When exactly did we decide that periods are no long needed? I was unaware that language had made that change this week.

It's not an unreasonable request that everyone be held to the same standard, hell it used to be a rule here.

My point is, if you're going to dismiss her, do it because she believes that Twitter is a great platform to express her opinions about anything. Or because she thinks that lgbt characters in a post apocalyptic show should have mysterious plot armor. Her opinions are lovely enough as it is without having to pick on lacks of period at the end of a sentence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dalael posted:

My point is, if you're going to dismiss her, do it because she believes that Twitter is a great platform to express her opinions about anything. Or because she thinks that lgbt characters in a post apocalyptic show should have mysterious plot armor. Her opinions are lovely enough as it is without having to pick on lacks of period at the end of a sentence.

Despite having bad opinions she has added quite a bit to the discussion and I have actually learned things from her posts that I was unaware of.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Despite having bad opinions she has added quite a bit to the discussion and I have actually learned things from her posts that I was unaware of.

You're right. I was just being an rear end.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I would put money on it being Rothenberg's final "gently caress you" to the actor.

Well, let him take his shots I guess, because Ricky is off to be the Main Character on another (probably better) show where he will get All The Screentime, while Rothenberg is looking more like the captain of the Titanic with every passing episode. There is no love lost between them, but I'm betting Ricky's :byewhore: feels a lot more satisfying than JRoth's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dalael posted:

To be fair, I was as well in my initial post about it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I forgive you

here's something cute to lighten the mood https://twitter.com/mrrickywhittle/status/716717151650852865

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Huh. That's an interesting video, assuming it made shortly after the death scene was filmed, because taken at face value it means Lincoln was killed off before Ricky had been cast in American Gods. Meaning they killed Lincoln not because his actor was on another show, but more or less because they felt like it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Huh. That's an interesting video, assuming it made shortly after the death scene was filmed, because taken at face value it means Lincoln was killed off before Ricky had been cast in American Gods. Meaning they killed Lincoln not because his actor was on another show, but more or less because they felt like it.

Yeah iirc, He was cast after he found out he was dying.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spergatory posted:

It's a scripted show, everything happens solely because they felt like it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you want to post about what Tumblr thinks or some other nonsense go post about it on Tumblr. This thread is for discussion of the show and not discussion about discussion about the show. So knock it off. This is the only warning. If you have a hard time doing this you are free not to post in the thread.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

It's a scripted show, everything happens solely because they felt like it.

Obviously not, since I've read at least one interview where JRoth said that if ADC hadn't been cast on another show, they'd have made her a regular. Sometimes real life writes the plot for you.

I'm just saying this kind of lends credibility to the whole behind-the-scenes feud storyline. JRoth had an excuse for icing Lexa, and he gave her plenty of screentime and development before she died, along with a long, flowery death scene with dramatic plot implications despite her being a guest star who had only been there for half a season. Meanwhile, there was nothing forcing him to kill Lincoln, who's been there since season one, yet he chose to do it anyway, but not before putting him in jail, giving him basically no screentime, and then having his death scene be a pointlessly brutal and gory execution where his body is left in the mud. That could read as a little spiteful. :shrug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It would have been thematically deaf to make Lincoln's death seem glamorous. He was literally killed like a dog because his executioner thinks about him and his people that way. The brutality is a catalyst to the events that will presumably happen in the already divided Arcadia. At the same time Lincoln couldn't choose to go down in a blaze of glory, because he specifically had to submit to the humiliation to prevent further bloodshed, which in effect further antagonizes the audience towards the villain since he has now denied the character his dignity.

Meanwhile Lexa's death was staged pretty clumsily to lead into an exposition dump, possibly because of the behind the scenes you mentioned forcing the creators' hand. Maybe if they didn't have to wrap up Lexa's arc in such a short time span, while simultaneously introducing new, convoluted concepts to the world, her death wouldn't have been so melodramatic either

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 3, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

raditts posted:

I think the part about Lincoln's execution is a bit of a weird nitpick, and saying the show is in "a bit of a nosedive" is an overreaction, but you're right about the other parts. I think the weirdness is due to the expansion of the show's scale, where suddenly there's this whole other nation of grounders that we never heard of before that are also at odds with the grounders that we already know, and there's this whole other, bigger grounder HQ that everyone's suddenly hanging out at now instead of the one that we'd seen for the first two seasons, and then of course there's the whole City of Light / dueling AIs thing, and it feels like they didn't really plan ahead well to juggle all these plot threads. That said, I still think this season is a lot more interesting and compelling than season 2 and I hope they tie all the threads together well by the end of the season.

I have less a problem about the reveals because it's kinda cool how they keep expanding the world and our knowledge of it. Sort of like how it would be for the actual Arkers. At first we think the Grounders are a bunch of primitives living in forests and caves and there's like a 1000 of them and that's all there is. Then we find out about the Mountain Men, and other tribes. Then the Commanders, the Alliance, other towns, villages, trading posts. Then we find out there's a large Grounder city, a functional AI running an estate with drones, then we find out she ended the world, and there was ANOTHER AI--it's all organic and we are finding out as the Akers do. I like that part.

I think the "tie together" will occur when Clarke and her mother put 2+2 together, find out about the AIs, and how they ended the world and created the Grounders, and reveal to both Pike's crew and the Grounders they're all being played by computers that are no longer needed to run things and are more concerned with fighting each other and KILLING/UPLOADING ALL HUMANS than anything else.

Then everyone will make peace, Pike will be dead, and the Chinese will invade in the last 5 minutes of the episode. :allears:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

If you want to post about what Tumblr thinks or some other nonsense go post about it on Tumblr. This thread is for discussion of the show and not discussion about discussion about the show. So knock it off. This is the only warning. If you have a hard time doing this you are free not to post in the thread.
As a fan of the show I could not agree more. I come to SA to avoid poo poo posting echo chamber pc circle jerks not have them dominate.

The 100 is awesome and should not be ruined by people getting butt hurt over nothing.

Also glad to see Monty being more than a dogsbody.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The shot of Pike shooting Lincoln in the head from a distance/Octavia's perspective was fairly decent, for what it was.

The slow-motion close-up shot of the hole in his head and his brains leaking into that puddle was kind of over the top, though. :drat:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

The shot of Pike shooting Lincoln in the head from a distance/Octavia's perspective was fairly decent, for what it was.

The slow-motion close-up shot of the hole in his head and his brains leaking into that puddle was kind of over the top, though. :drat:

The ripples in the water as Lincoln fell might be to show the rippling effect his death will have on Arcadia.

The same goes for Titus, his death will have massive implications for the grounders.

Also goddam Murphy in the middle again, not sure if I should laugh or cry for the poor fucker.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

VagueRant posted:

I care. I would actually like it if people didn't shitpost in here.
There's a lot of bluster about wiping out the other side in both plots, but I think there hasn't been any plotline crossover since Pike's massacre.
I dont think a wipeout is likely.

The blackbloods will converge with the AI story, and this will drag everything else along the way.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The same goes for Titus, his death will have massive implications for the grounders.

Titus went out like a boss. Think you're gonna game the system? Well, game THIS :unsmigghh:

quote:

Also goddam Murphy in the middle again, not sure if I should laugh or cry for the poor fucker.

The azgeda queen is a bitch but I'd probably hit it, and I bet Murphy will sooner or later. Him not being afraid of her is probably attractive to her.

I just want to see Pike die, damnit. Dude is a two-dimensional, one-note character who exists solely to make life worse for everyone else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Murphy is absolutely going to be the Commander's consort. Even if she isn't really the Commander.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Murphy is absolutely going to be the Commander's consort. Even if she isn't really the Commander.

He'd also be placed well to blow the whistle on her when Clarke shows up with a chip-implanted Luna.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

He'd also be placed well to blow the whistle on her when Clarke shows up with a chip-implanted Luna.

He does like his own head.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If Luna is head of FloKru, I assume she lives on the oil derrick in the opening credits -- that would certainly explain its introduction to the credits this season. Probably the other boss that Murphy's actual girlfriend reports to as well.

WarLocke posted:

That succession crisis is going to be so hosed -- like, it seems like the thing with the Flame isn't publicly known, and depending on how secure Ontari's control over the 12 Clans is, it may not even matter that she isn't the rightful heir. She cut Lexa's line of succession off (at the head) and demonstrated herself to be the kind of ruthless leader that the Clans had been clamoring for. All she needs to do is crush Pike (which should take her next to no time) in order to cement her status as leader.

Just because Luna shows up claiming to be the true inheritor of Lexa's legacy, it doesn't mean that Ontari's followers are just going to abandon her. Hell, there's the argument to be made that Luna lost any rights to succession when she fled the challenge arena years ago.

And that's assuming that she'd even want to inherit the mantle in the first place.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Open Source Idiom posted:

If Luna is head of FloKru, I assume she lives on the oil derrick in the opening credits -- that would certainly explain its introduction to the credits this season. Probably the other boss that Murphy's actual girlfriend reports to as well.

This is some top notch speculation - I really think you're right about that.

All the disparate storylines of this season are finally coming into focus and they're all really interesting to me, I think the problem really has just been that the show is struggling with juggling them all; it seems to have lost that deftness as it introduces a few too many characters.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dalael posted:

Nah, you were right, periods don't matter

I'm still kind of having trouble figuring out how I feel about this season. I think I like the Jaha plotline the most right now. I enjoyed when the adults first came down to earth and the surviving kids were just like "lol you don't know poo poo," this season needs more of that. So far, Clarke has been too much removed from the rest of the action imo

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 4, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I agree I think there are too many different story lines right now. It really needs to be connected together very soon.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Fast Luck posted:

So far, Clarke has been too much removed from the rest of the action imo

I agree with you here. Somehow it seems like Pike would've been much less of a powerful force if Clarke had been back at the Ark earlier. She is such a sheer force of will that she probably could've been Chancellor if she wanted to be. On top of that, there's very rarely anything for her to actually do in Polis (especially now that both Lexa and Titus are dead). She needs to leave.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Clarke left Polis, so you have your wish! Of course, now Murphy is stuck there in the dubious role of "well Titus said he was part of his keeper of the Flame stuff, so he must be important?" I look forward to seeing him BS his way through all of this succession stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Clarke left Polis, so you have your wish! Of course, now Murphy is stuck there in the dubious role of "well Titus said he was part of his keeper of the Flame stuff, so he must be important?" I look forward to seeing him BS his way through all of this succession stuff.

When he starts banging the new commander it will be dropped.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, no matter what this show does, I loving love Clarke Griffin. :allears: She's like the only YA protagonist who I find completely believable in their role. If Clarke Griffin had been put in Katniss's place in The Hunger Games, that series would've been over in two books, and Clarke would've been president at the end.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
A lot of that is down to Eliza Taylor who is pretty loving amazing. But I feel like Clarke really shines in the leadership role - as interesting as it will surely be to see Floukru and Luna, Clarke on her own just isn't as good as Clarke the loving commander waging some war. I'll be disappointed if Wanheda doesn't get some genocide going this season :black101:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can we just get a Murphy spinoff. Whenever he's not on screen I find myself wondering, Where's Murphy? What's he doing right now?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Spergatory posted:

Man, no matter what this show does, I loving love Clarke Griffin. :allears: She's like the only YA protagonist who I find completely believable in their role. If Clarke Griffin had been put in Katniss's place in The Hunger Games, that series would've been over in two books, and Clarke would've been president at the end.

And the Capitol would've been a smoking crater full of cosmopolitan corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm curious, is there an established canon map for this show? Obviously Tondc is Washington DC. I was assuming Polis was Annapolis but that seems in question with the Polaris twist revealed. I read somewhere that Mount Weather was the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. Didn't we see the Statue of Liberty or something in the desert? So that would mean that whole "dead zone" is the tri-state area and the AI's island is probably off the coast in New England?

I see some vague mapping online but I was wonder if there was any clear thing laid out because this stuff interests me. I always get a kick when they do something like reveal the Lincoln Memorial and then "tondc" clicks in my head.

Like, the Ice Nation would be what? Toronto/Canada? The Great Lakes froze over?

• Locked thread