Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'm glad there isn't any light side stuff filled with typical anime bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Hefe posted:

this attitude sucks

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Not really, this is the only anime that I watch and it's exactly because it doesn't feature the typical highschool scenes with the awkward boys in love with the big tiddies girl who calls him oni chan.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Not really, this is the only anime that I watch and it's exactly because it doesn't feature the typical highschool scenes with the awkward boys in love with the big tiddies girl who calls him oni chan.

if you watched more anime you'd know there's a lot more out there than the dumbass stereotypes you're throwing out.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Nah there isn't.

One punch man was good too though but that ones over.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

El Hefe posted:

Nah there isn't.

Make sure you catch Mob Psycho 100 in July. It's ONE's better work.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it takes place in a highschool so he shan't be watching it, lest there be a girl with big tits somewhere

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think there's a girl with big tits in MP100. At least not prominent.

It goes for the whole thread though, MP100 is criminally underappreciated.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

El Hefe posted:

I think they're talking about scenes about characters with varying personalities interact in an entertaining way, not your weird ideas of what all anime is.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I only enjoy the most tasteful of series, such as the one where a man peeps in on his own mother bathing, and where two grown men urinating into another's mouth is played for comedy.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I want Josuke to call me oniichan

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Nah I yanked it altogether, I'll only share amaryllis comics in the manga thread.

Good luck on loosening things but I'm betting it's a no go given how fraught things are elsewhere with this right now. I said something in the manga thread about it because it's... there's discourse on the matter. DISCOURSE.
Discourse is cool. Ideally I'd like a board where nobody has to use black bars at all cause it's pretty easy to pick up on when you're reading about future events and just -stop- reading. Barring the sort of person who runs around shouting out sound bites like CHARACTER DIES at the top of their lungs, written spoilers shouldn't be too much to get worked up about.

Images though you can't help but look at, so please link them instead of posting them directly. You don't even need to put a spoiler warning up necessarily, just give people the option to view it instead of imposing it. Most posters should be smart enough to figure out from context whether or not what they're about to click on is a spoiler, and the one's who aren't, well, gotta take those training wheels off sometime.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I used to have a weird attitude towards anime when I was a teen and only watched Adult Anime like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but now I'll basically watch any dope poo poo, whatever people are weird. I don't personally wanna watch titty anime, but some people do and that's cool.

There's a lotta anime out there, please just don't operate under the idea there are like five good ones and the rest is gutter trash that even rats in the sewer would puke at it's sickness nature

gently caress is that July? Godddd I need to start reading that

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 3, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Characters in the Jojoverse interact by beating the crap out of each other, I like that, and I'm glad Araki has left it that way through its course.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

I have a feeling you're not going to enjoy Part 4 as much as you did the previous three parts.

You could stand to look around a bit more, though. There are a lot of shows that avoid exactly what you're talking about, including several that takes place in high schools.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RubberLuffy posted:

I want Josuke to call me oniichan

Hello Oniichan

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Bad Seafood posted:

I have a feeling you're not going to enjoy Part 4 as much as you did the previous three parts.

You could stand to look around a bit more, though. There are a lot of shows that avoid exactly what you're talking about, including several that takes place in high schools.

I already read part 4 and it's my favorite part

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

El Hefe posted:

Name three shows that do this

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

I meant the real Josuke, sorry

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RubberLuffy posted:

I meant the real Josuke, sorry

Hello Oniichan

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Characters in the Jojoverse interact by beating the crap out of each other, I like that, and I'm glad Araki has left it that way through its course.

typical anime bullshit, trying to communicate through your fists

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

I already read part 4 and it's my favorite part
Cool.

Then respect the thread and don't be slinging this shade in here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yeah, Jotaro's dad is a total bad-rear end. Can't believe he was cut from the Part 3 anime.

That scene of Sadao ripping Nukesaku in half was one of my favorite moments from the manga.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
i mean I'm Latino and I've been watching stuff like dragon ball since waayy before it got to the US since Japanese animation was really popular in the 80s and 90s here but there's a reason anime has the reputation that it has and it's because there are lots of shows with stupid poo poo that makes you roll your eyes

I'm glad Jojo sticks to action and silly stuff from time to time without falling into the typical anime tropes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Jojo is immensely popular

What are the typical anime tropes

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Jojo invented half the anime tropes. It's immensely influential.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

El Hefe posted:

i mean I'm Latino and I've been watching stuff like dragon ball since waayy before it got to the US since Japanese animation was really popular in the 80s and 90s here but there's a reason anime has the reputation that it has and it's because there are lots of shows with stupid poo poo that makes you roll your eyes

I'm glad Jojo sticks to action and silly stuff from time to time without falling into the typical anime tropes

ditto

tired of all the uguu poo poo. moe is also bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

More sexy Lisa Lisa, please and thank you [harrygatou to you bakas who dislike japanimation]

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Some anime is bad and scummy but if you just select for a few things you see pop up in those bad animes you'll probably miss out on some really neat stuff.

That is my complex and controversial anime opinion.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Condiv posted:

ditto

El Hefe posted:

El Hefe posted:

I finally found it, the AIDS motherlode

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
you should read Sengoku Youko

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want there to be an official manga version of lisa lisa teaching jotaro the cigarette trick instead of just fanart, is that so bad

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Anime has the reputation it does for a lot of reasons, some deserved, some not. There are certainly trends, but there are typically about as many shows that buck them as follow them. A discerning eye and a little common sense is usually enough to sniff out which is which.

It's fine that you don't like certain aspects of anime, but there are a lot of shows out there that are more or less exactly what you want (that being action and silly stuff without high school romance or whatever), so disparaging the whole medium like how you're doing is akin to saying all American films, save perhaps for one or two a year, are superhero schlock just because superhero schlock happens to be flavor of the month.

You're not obligated to like stuff you don't like, it's just that posting that way is a huge conversation block.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i want there to be an official manga version of lisa lisa teaching jotaro the cigarette trick instead of just fanart, is that so bad

I want Araki to say himself that Kakyoin has a thing for moms.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Bad Seafood posted:

Anime has the reputation it does for a lot of reasons, some deserved, some not. There are certainly trends, but there are typically about as many shows that buck them as follow them. A discerning eye and a little common sense is usually enough to sniff out which is which.

It's fine that you don't like certain aspects of anime, but there are a lot of shows out there that are more or less exactly what you want (that being action and silly stuff without high school romance or whatever), so disparaging the whole medium like how you're doing is akin to saying all American films, save perhaps for one or two a year, are superhero schlock just because superhero schlock happens to be flavor of the month.

You're not obligated to like stuff you don't like, it's just that posting that way is a huge conversation block.

That's cool and if you like that type of anime that's fine by me I just don't want it in the one anime that I like, Jojo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

El Hefe posted:

That's cool and if you like that type of anime that's fine by me I just don't want it in the one anime that I like, Jojo.

Condiv posted:

ditto

El Hefe posted:

El Hefe posted:

El Hefe posted:

Nah there isn't.

El Hefe posted:

El Hefe posted:

:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Tough

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

El Hefe posted:

90% of any medium is stupid poo poo that you roll your eyes at. It's cool if you don't want to go through the effort to find the 10% that really shine, but there's about as many good anime as there are good movies, good TV shows, etc. I'd argue the willingness to do that searching is what makes someone a fan of whatever, but don't assume that because you're not a fan of anime, it's somehow worse than other things on average.

If I didn't take the time to look at them, I'd have written off Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou as moe garbage instead of great slice-of-life comedies, for example.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

That's not really what this conversation is about.

I'm glad you've found something you like, I'm just asking you not to take a random dump on everything you don't like, apropos of nothing. Comments like that, out of the blue, will derail a thread without really even providing a good secondary track for it to run down since it's effectively a conversation nonstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gonna give this thread a lunch break.

When we come back, please talk about Jojo.

• Locked thread