Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Phone posted:

Police unions are good because

Same except teacher unions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Yes, I agree, let's jump aboard the union-busting train as long as we don't like the people who have the union. :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Quorum posted:

Yes, I agree, let's jump aboard the union-busting train as long as we don't like the people who have the union. :allears:

I don't see how that could backfire at all!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know this is primary chat but what the hell just happened in Nevada?

Caucuses are overly complicated bullshit, and the thing that just happened is just as likely to get reversed again.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

end holy unions

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I was on the train, and I do recognize it was a low effort post; however, the police always seem to skate by the "all unions are bad" rhetoric when they're the ones that seem to have the most horrific abuses across all of the various unions. They're the least vulnerable by a landslide seeing how you can murder a child in a park on camera and come out smelling like a rose on the other end.

I wish that labor unions were stronger in the states and that the police unions weren't the only real union left standing. Yeah, teacher and auto workers do have unions that technically exist, but neither of them have the teeth and tenacity (or history of straight up abuse/collusion) as the police.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

Every worker should be unionized and have an advocate working for them to ensure that they're protected from abuse, arbitrary firing, and can maintain and improve their quality of life.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Police Unions are a pretty good case study in how people can be shitheads even in an (economically) ideal environment.

Also indicative of how conflicting interests can still pop up. Another example would be if a coal miner's union opposed getting off of coal power.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Phone posted:

Only the black cops would go to jail.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Police unions are pretty vulnerable to the old "we need to cut the state budget" and "whoops, there goes your pension." Or another fine product of that process was "we need to put our pension funds in a private security. This Bernie Madoff fellow seems to get real fine returns and is real trustworthy."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rexicon1 posted:

I would absolutely love for Al Jazeera or bbc to moderate an American debate. The simultaneous chaos and moral crisis it would create would be delightful to watch (unless it gets violent)

I was thinking about this and the only way I could see it working is if there isn't an audience or if the moderators can keep the audience silent. I don't think I've ever heard of a debate without an audience and it would be interesting to see how it would change how the candidates talk if there are no applause lines. Has that ever happened before?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

limp_cheese posted:

I was thinking about this and the only way I could see it working is if there isn't an audience or if the moderators can keep the audience silent. I don't think I've ever heard of a debate without an audience and it would be interesting to see how it would change how the candidates talk if there are no applause lines. Has that ever happened before?

Watch the channels then add their own applause track to candidates' statements like laugh tracks in bad sitcoms.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

I was on the train, and I do recognize it was a low effort post; however, the police always seem to skate by the "all unions are bad" rhetoric when they're the ones that seem to have the most horrific abuses across all of the various unions. They're the least vulnerable by a landslide seeing how you can murder a child in a park on camera and come out smelling like a rose on the other end.

I wish that labor unions were stronger in the states and that the police unions weren't the only real union left standing. Yeah, teacher and auto workers do have unions that technically exist, but neither of them have the teeth and tenacity (or history of straight up abuse/collusion) as the police.

Police unions should be like teachers unions, something everyone shits on because it turns out the members aren't bottomless pits of altruism who will keep working for nothing because their job is just so good and necessary.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Watch the channels then add their own applause track to candidates' statements like laugh tracks in bad sitcoms.

You know they'd just mic up Frank Luntz's cavalcade of assholes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We should get rid of all unions since they hamper free trade and then my paycheck will go up $10 a week maybe.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump really really has no idea how a government functions. His plan puts 'normal' calls for austerity to shame.

Donald Trump's Unusual Plan to Lower the National Debt: Sell Off Government Assets

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump really really has no idea how a government functions. His plan puts 'normal' calls for austerity to shame.

Donald Trump's Unusual Plan to Lower the National Debt: Sell Off Government Assets

Well government should be run like a business, right? He just wants to run the government the way any corporate raider good businessman would.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sounds like a wet dream for business republicans. This is him extending a branch to the establishment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Every worker should be unionized and have an advocate working for them to ensure that they're protected from abuse, arbitrary firing, and can maintain and improve their quality of life.

My friend have you tried reading Atlas Shrugged?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is just cribbed from 1980s Reason magazine. He's courting the libertarian wing. This must be the pivot. :getin:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Litany Unheard posted:

Well government should be run like a business, right? He just wants to run the government the way any corporate raider good businessman would.

So government's should rent instead of just already paid and pay no rent.
Great long term solution that.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The only assets the government really has is its first world infrastructure and open space, a national level of the "noooo the trees!" That people always pull when something they don't want built is proposed would be amusing.

The real assets America has is its people, Mr. Trump :colbert:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

computer parts posted:

Police Unions are a pretty good case study in how people can be shitheads even in an (economically) ideal environment.

Also indicative of how conflicting interests can still pop up. Another example would be if a coal miner's union opposed getting off of coal power.

The border patrol union endorsed donald trump.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

RuanGacho posted:

The real assets America has is its people, Mr. Trump :colbert:

Don't you worry, he'll privatize them too!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe we could solve a lot of our problems by instituting a Citizen only system of government and we could have two types of people Citizens and Non-Citizens. Citizens could be people who volunteered for public works products and the military.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hollismason posted:

Maybe we could solve a lot of our problems by instituting a Citizen only system of government and we could have two types of people Citizens and Non-Citizens. Citizens could be people who volunteered for public works products and the military.

I would like to know more

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because that's worked so well for Republican-run states that have done that already.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A few states already did this. And now they're paying for something that should be free and in a few cases sold off free/easy revenue makers

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

PhazonLink posted:

A few states already did this. And now they're paying for something that should be free and in a few cases sold off free/easy revenue makers

My favorite is Arizona selling their Capitol building, leasing it back at considerable cost, and then proposing to buy it back at a huge loss.

FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Branis posted:

The border patrol union endorsed donald trump.

The prospect of getting an injection of 20 kerbillion dollars, more power, more responsibility, higher wages would make most unions salivate.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

My friend have you tried reading Atlas Shrugged?

Yes. I wanted to crush John Galt's skull between my fingers afterwards, which is what I assume that the author was going for.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Good Citizen posted:

My favorite is Arizona selling their Capitol building, leasing it back at considerable cost, and then proposing to buy it back at a huge loss.

FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY!

Where did the state congress meet, then? In the meeting hall at a Golden Corral, but sometimes go over their scheduled time when the Kiwanis club is supposed to use the room?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hollismason posted:

This is an unfortunately seductive idea, the ultimate baseline problem with it being that citizenship as recognized by a government is binary while human society treats it as if it is not.

I know you're probably joking but I feel it worth while to illustrate the idea because it's the basis of most trouble makers for the government at all levels.

They're a citizen when they want to have a say in government policy, with an affect on themselves or others they feel need to be influenced.

They are not citizens whenever that might entail taking responsibility for their actions, at that point the government is a nebulous other that they have nothing to do with, especially when it doesn't go the way they want because someone else with a more compelling argument or base of support has prevailed over them.

This is a very rough cut but because most people don't think deeply about it, it boils down to give me power but not responsibility. It is a human condition and the reason why democracy is flawed, everyone naturally wants power but no culpability.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Star Man posted:

Where did the state congress meet, then? In the meeting hall at a Golden Corral, but sometimes go over their scheduled time when the Kiwanis club is supposed to use the room?

This sounds like some Jefferton of Tom Goes to the Mayor level of governance

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

N. Senada posted:

This sounds like some Jefferton of Tom Goes to the Mayor level of governance

You have no idea how accurate that show was.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Star Man posted:

They continued to meet in the Capitol building. Harper's has a good longread on it and the rest of the fiscal madness of Arizona under Tea Party management. What they did was raise some immediate money by selling the building (and a lot of other government property) to a private real estate company and then started paying them rent on a building they used to own. They eventually realized this was stupid as gently caress and are trying to buy it back.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gobbeldygook posted:

They continued to meet in the Capitol building. Harper's has a good longread on it and the rest of the fiscal madness of Arizona under Tea Party management. What they did was raise some immediate money by selling the building (and a lot of other government property) to a private real estate company and then started paying them rent on a building they used to own. They eventually realized this was stupid as gently caress and are trying to buy it back.

Are they sure it wasn't a pawn shop that they sold it to?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

that is an amazing lack of foresight, like what did they even need the influx of money for that was so urgent you'd sell the Capitol?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Quorum posted:

Unions will be made obsolete in the future pocket computer economy - it will either be gross oligarchy or a fairly rational system of payscales. The real problem is such a system is a material fabrication of the Holy Spirit, a counterfeit that can enslave the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

that is an amazing lack of foresight, like what did they even need the influx of money for that was so urgent you'd sell the Capitol?

Getting reelected in 2010.

The sale put a hundred million dollars in Arizona's budget for a short time, so that Brewer could point to a surplus in 2010, then bought it back at a loss because it was a dumb idea. It was basically a twenty million dollar transfer from the state to the major banks that bought the shares in the statehouse, that also tricked rubes into thinking austerity was working.

• Locked thread