Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I do. "Hurf durf poster is having trouble figuring something out, therefore is a complete retard we never wanted anyway" constitutes one.

As it is, no matter. In the absence of anyone getting off their high horse to explain something I apparently missed, I'm okay not playing the free trial for this game.

No, he was literally saying "if this person cannot figure out how to start the free trial they are going to go through untold suffering when trying to deal with mogstation so it's probably best for everyone just to let them go".

I can't, personally, explain how to set up a free trial account since I've never used one, but a brief googling suggests that you registered a new account before you started the free trial. Apparently you should, instead, start the free trial launcher and let it walk you through making an account.
Also, if you do the free trial on steam, you will be locked to steam and unable to buy and use the game or its expansions from elsewhere on that account. Not necessarily a big deal but sometimes other places like GOG have sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Edit: ^^ Or let the launcher walk you through making an account like this person says.

Cythereal posted:

I do. "Hurf durf poster is having trouble figuring something out, therefore is a complete retard we never wanted anyway" constitutes one.

As it is, no matter. In the absence of anyone getting off their high horse to explain something I apparently missed, I'm okay not playing the free trial for this game.

I can't look up the exact details without making a new account, but you should be able to register for the free trial through your SE account. On your main account page on the Square Enix site, it should be under "Services and Options," but I could be wrong. You may have to go to Mog Station, which you'll see a link for once you log in. It's a bit confusing because there's 2 different places to log in, the main SE website and the SE Account Management webiste. And also Mog Station, which is a separate site...

ilifinicus posted:

nope, stop

just let them go if they can't even figure out the trial process

it will just be suffering once they have to deal with mogstation

Cythereal is a cool person. :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It might help if you gave people the impression that you were trying to figure things out for yourself, rather than barging in, saying the OP is uninformative, and demanding answers to everything.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fister Roboto posted:

It might help if you gave people the impression that you were trying to figure things out for yourself, rather than barging in, saying the OP is uninformative, and demanding answers to everything.

I didn't know "Is there a good intro/info thing for players familiar with MMOs but new to taking a look at this game? The OP isn't terribly informative" and "FF14 is asking for a registration code, but I'm trying to use the free trial and I didn't get a registration code. Do you know where I'd find it?" constituted barging in and demanding answers to everything, but apparently I was mistaken.

That being said, I have finally resolved the issues on my own - it turned out the problem was with Steam, not the FF14 or account. Thank you all for the wonderfully warm welcome.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I didn't know "Is there a good intro/info thing for players familiar with MMOs but new to taking a look at this game? The OP isn't terribly informative" and "FF14 is asking for a registration code, but I'm trying to use the free trial and I didn't get a registration code. Do you know where I'd find it?" constituted barging in and demanding answers to everything, but apparently I was mistaken.

That being said, I have finally resolved the issues on my own - it turned out the problem was with Steam, not the FF14 or account. Thank you all for the wonderfully warm welcome.

Once you get in game people are usually very cool and helfpul

It's just the thread that gets prickly sometimes

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Once you get in game people are usually very cool and helfpul

It's just the thread that gets prickly sometimes

Sometimes?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cythereal posted:

I feel I should express at this point that he wasn't really doing that, mogstation and se account management are really bad

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

This might actually be the worst thread on this forum outside of gbs or fyad.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mymla posted:

This might actually be the worst thread on this forum outside of gbs or fyad.

People are nicer to each other in the Star Citizen thread than they are here, on average. It's kind of impressive.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
I just did my first instance, and… what on earth is the rationale for locking the door to boss areas 15 seconds after the battle begins? We almost had a wipe because one of our DPS was stuck outside.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I just did my first instance, and… what on earth is the rationale for locking the door to boss areas 15 seconds after the battle begins? We almost had a wipe because one of our DPS was stuck outside.

So you can't run out if it goes bad, and all of the shenanigans that go with that.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Or run back in after you die.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Well ideally your group should understand that it's lovely to pull the boss without everyone being present. I'm pretty impressed that your party could handle it while being down a DPS. LDR put me in a Sastasha and the first one down was the healer. Somehow we managed to pull through.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Free trial accounts don't have reg codes, you need to download the free trial launcher specifically. Yes, this is dumb and I have no idea why it works this way.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

This is a pretty good glamour, but it's no Captain Ameowica:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The game kind of assumes you've never played an MMO before. Because of this, it has the slowest start to any MMO I've ever seen.

This is true, but also the main reason I'm still playing. Had the game thrown full combat mechanics, crafting, five types of currency, materia melding, dungeons, chocobo racing, etc at me right from the start I'd likely have gotten overwhelmed and quit early on.

That said I wouldn't complain if they made it easier to hook up with your friends and dick around early on. I actually had a couple people bail on the game because they couldn't start killing things as a group right away.

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I really loathe it when tanks pull bosses before everyone is ready. Jesus Christ dude just wait 15 seconds while the new guy watches the Kracken emerge or asks a few questions. Not everyone treats video games like a second job.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Thank you for your play by play free association journal of 'Cythereal decides to try FFXIV'.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wait for everyone to catch up/explain mechanics on my warrior and plenty of times i get poo poo for not hurrying up so its damned if you do damned if you don't really

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

readingatwork posted:

This is true, but also the main reason I'm still playing. Had the game thrown full combat mechanics, crafting, five types of currency, materia melding, dungeons, chocobo racing, etc at me right from the start I'd likely have gotten overwhelmed and quit early on.

That said I wouldn't complain if they made it easier to hook up with your friends and dick around early on. I actually had a couple people bail on the game because they couldn't start killing things as a group right away.

I really loathe it when tanks pull bosses before everyone is ready. Jesus Christ dude just wait 15 seconds while the new guy watches the Kracken emerge or asks a few questions. Not everyone treats video games like a second job.

They just really need to do some ability rearranging. All the melee's should have a 123 combo by level 15. The tanks should get their tank stances by 20 at the latest and their dps stances earlier. It's good that they spread stuff out to ease people into it but the game isn't helped by having lancers stuck doing impulse drive spam for 26 levels or newbie tanks not being able to hold threat for poo poo when they end up with sync'd down max level dps in job stones.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

readingatwork posted:

*crits adlo*
*hits deployment tactics*
*tank waits 20s for no apparent reason*

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

hobbesmaster posted:

*crits adlo*
My eye twitched just reading this.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
While playing BLM in normal dungeons I often have to run ahead of the tank to refresh enochian

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Is there a point keeping Enochian up in normal dungeons outside of the boss fights? It seems like a lot of trouble compared to just using the regular fire2 -> flare rotation and using the 2.x rotation to mop up stragglers. I used to do it but kind of...stopped when I realized how little I was getting out of the effort.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
IDK I use it in stuff like ARF on the big beasties because it's like twice the damage of the fire 1 rotation. Also it sounds soooo satisfying.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

killstealing posted:

IDK I use it in stuff like ARF on the big beasties because it's like twice the damage of the fire 1 rotation. Also it sounds soooo satisfying.

It does. It's not quite as satisfying of a sound as Flare, but only barely.

For me, having to babysit Enochian to keep casting the big explody just makes it even more satisfying when it's all just flowing like clockwork. It sure didn't at first, but now going back to the 50 rotation and waiting for procs is boring as heck.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Cythereal posted:

Is there a good intro/info thing for players familiar with MMOs but new to taking a look at this game? The OP isn't terribly informative

This question doesn't help because I don't know what you don't know, so I'd just be barfing info that may or may not be relevant to you.

Assuming you're still interested in playing, what in particular didn't make sense or didn't explain enough? What were you expecting to find out in the OP that wasn't there?

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 3, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

*crits adlo*

My favorite is playing form roulette as a monk. Is the tank going to pull when I'm in coeurl form? Nobody knows!!!

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

They just really need to do some ability rearranging. All the melee's should have a 123 combo by level 15. The tanks should get their tank stances by 20 at the latest and their dps stances earlier. It's good that they spread stuff out to ease people into it but the game isn't helped by having lancers stuck doing impulse drive spam for 26 levels or newbie tanks not being able to hold threat for poo poo when they end up with sync'd down max level dps in job stones.

This made me absolutely hate doing leveling roulette while leveling up lancer. Am I going to end up spamming impulse drive this time? Let's find out! (It's always yes.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite is playing form roulette as a monk. Is the tank going to pull when I'm in coeurl form? Nobody knows!!!

As someone who's playing his first tank, what can I do to make it easier for DPS & Healers? Or should I just worry about enmity and cooldowns, and your stances and stuff will sort themselves out anyway? I already know the "run through the mobs so they'll turn and face you, giving the positional DPS classes a slightly easier time" trick.
(Obviously this doesn't apply to playing with statics/doing raids/high-level content where people generally know what they're doing.)

Also, when is your position checked for the damage you do with positional attacks? Is it right when you activate the skill? Or when the animation happens? It's really hard to tell, especially when I'm soloing and trying to kill things efficiently.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Before, Paladin getting Sword Oath 10 levels before Shield Oath felt a little annoying but was easy enough to deal with as long as your gear is fine. After they redid tank damage scaling though, level 30-39 Paladin feels absolutely atrocious, like they made Shield Oath a 40 skill by accident rather than by design.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'll do every single other roulette, but I've come to terms with the fact that I will be bored to tears with whatever option I receive for Low Level Roullette. I now avoid it like the plague.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Solumin posted:

As someone who's playing his first tank, what can I do to make it easier for DPS & Healers? Or should I just worry about enmity and cooldowns, and your stances and stuff will sort themselves out anyway? I already know the "run through the mobs so they'll turn and face you, giving the positional DPS classes a slightly easier time" trick.
(Obviously this doesn't apply to playing with statics/doing raids/high-level content where people generally know what they're doing.)

-Always ensure there's room to attack the back & flanks
-Ask/communicate before big pulls
-Generally lead with DPS cooldowns on bosses so the DDs can use theirs right away
-Keep an eye out on party TP and mana, especially before bosses or big pulls

Beyond that, positionally set up your healers/casters for success. Don't tank mobs with AoEs/breaths/cleaves near them. Things like that.

quote:

Also, when is your position checked for the damage you do with positional attacks? Is it right when you activate the skill? Or when the animation happens? It's really hard to tell, especially when I'm soloing and trying to kill things efficiently.
The positioning check happens when the ability is activated.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Failboattootoot posted:

Absolutely. LNC is a giant slog to level, and BLM has a 3 button rotation before 60, when suddenly you get a much more complex one. It feels super tacked on while they could just... do it better. Kinda fucks over people who don't have HW but yanno...

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Scholar in particular is a bit of a weird case, because they have this really excellent DPS toolkit right at 30 due to having advanced from a DPS class, and the only real DPS tools they get after that are shadow flare and broil. White Mage and Astrologian, by contrast, have kind of poo poo DPS until Holy/Gravity, and WHM doesn't really keep up until Aero III at 58 (!).

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Scholar in particular is a bit of a weird case, because they have this really excellent DPS toolkit right at 30 due to having advanced from a DPS class, and the only real DPS tools they get after that are shadow flare and broil. White Mage and Astrologian, by contrast, have kind of poo poo DPS until Holy/Gravity, and WHM doesn't really keep up until Aero III at 58 (!).

Whenever I'm playing SCH at low levels, I always forget I don't have Shadow Flare, Miasma II, or Blizzard II, since they're such a big part of the AoE rotation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Chairman posted:

This question doesn't help because I don't know what you don't know, so I'd just be barfing info that may or may not be relevant to you.

Assuming you're still interested in playing, what in particular didn't make sense or didn't explain enough? What were you expecting to find out in the OP that wasn't there?

I'm sorry, I was rude. I was expecting a more detailed overview of the game's story and mechanics, but now that I've played around some I've realized that that's unimportant. Got an archer up to level 9, and a couple other classes up to 5 or so, and I think I've seen enough to satisfy my interest in the free trial. Aside from the game's punishingly slow start, the game felt like pretty normal MMO fare - more story-heavy than WoW, less so than TOR, and with a JRPG coat of paint slapped over everything. I'll definitely keep it in mind if and when I unsub from my current MMO.

As it is, the pirate city is far and away my favorite of the three starting cities.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solumin posted:

The bitching is about blowing cooldowns on a tank just before a pull and then the tank not pulling. Basically if you see eye for an eye or a card cast on you the healer is expecting you to pull in a few seconds. Don't worry about it too much, your job is to not get people killed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

isk posted:

-Ask/communicate before big pulls
So my countpoint here is that I think you should definitely always assume pulls will be big unless you have a clear reason to believe you (or the healer, I suppose) are undergeared. Big pulls rock, small pulls are slow and suck.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Whenever I'm playing SCH at low levels, I always forget I don't have Shadow Flare, Miasma II, or Blizzard II, since they're such a big part of the AoE rotation.
I always forget to use Blizzard 2. It technically beats out Broil for 4+ targets, but it just feels so clunky getting right the hell in with all the enemies, and you end up eating a bunch of AoEs; I pretty much only use it on really huge groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
I was in a group yesterday for Copperbell Mines (everyone synced down to 19) with 2 arcanists and myself, as a conjurer. The tank insisted on doing 'big pulls' even though we only had Blizzard 2 (which one of the arcanists didn't have either) and Flash for AoE damage/threat. It wasn't a big deal but it seemed like a waste of effort since my personal dps was subsumed by healing him and we weren't really killing things faster than if we pulled them individually.

• Locked thread