Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Man revolver ocelot is kicking my rear end. Those bouncing bullets! Is there an award for dying more than twenty times? There should be.

Also my mgs2 and 3 hd remaster disc has peace walker on it so I guess I am covered there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VideoGames posted:

Man revolver ocelot is kicking my rear end. Those bouncing bullets! Is there an award for dying more than twenty times? There should be.

Also my mgs2 and 3 hd remaster disc has peace walker on it so I guess I am covered there!

on some parts if you die enough colonel calls you to explain how to win

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
IIRC Ocelot will have different dialog if you fail the fight too many times.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Not really to be honest :(

I am sorry. :( What is wrong? If you don't want to say, that's okay, and I want you to know that no matter what is going on right now, that things will get better and that you will be having a better time soon enough! :)

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

codenameFANGIO posted:

You may be right because I haven't played all of these yet but drat is this an embarrassing way to express your point.

I'm posting in a loving video game forum on SA. You can't get any more embarrassing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm pretty sure there's a corner you can stand in during the ocelot fight where he can't hit you at all

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cram me sideways posted:

I'm posting in a loving video game forum on SA. You can't get any more embarrassing.

that's a loving cop out

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I bought underrail on a whim because I am on a fallout kick right now and holy poo poo its so good. I do have one beef and its that the early game seems to really want you to use stealth which sucks for me because I got my guy all kitted out for gunnin dudes down in heavy armor.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

The cutscenes around this part of the game are so good.

Baker's whole monologue is probably one of the best pieces of writing the series ever produced.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Broseph Brostar posted:

Miitomo is the premier app for photoshopping yourself into pictures of your cat

Dogs are cool too.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I only ever made like three codec calls in MGS3.

If you ever get the urge to play again, make more codec calls, all the ones in 3 are great.

Especially re: food options

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys is there a genre name for a procedurally generated Turn Based Strategy game with a squad of characters? Like Steam Marines but not poo poo?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

Guys is there a genre name for a procedurally generated Turn Based Strategy game with a squad of characters? Like Steam Marines but not poo poo?

People call Darkest Dungeon a roguelike so...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

People call Darkest Dungeon a roguelike so...

well, it shares a lot in common with them, so i think thats fair

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking more like Fire Emblem turn based, not JRPG Turn based or Dungeon Crawl Turn based.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

I'm thinking more like Fire Emblem turn based, not JRPG Turn based or Dungeon Crawl Turn based.

i just call them tactical RPGs or grid based RPGs

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mistle posted:

If you ever get the urge to play again, make more codec calls, all the ones in 3 are great.

2 is my favorite in the series but I got really sucked into 3 and played the entire thing in a single session on a Saturday, so when I replay it I'm going to take a little extra time to check everything out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its an unpopular opinion but my favorite is mgs v just because I can fly in on a helicopter to the tune of maneater

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i just call them tactical RPGs or grid based RPGs
Isometric Tactical Simulations

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

its an unpopular opinion but my favorite is mgs v just because I can fly in on a helicopter to the tune of maneater

yeah if i'm gonna play metal gear its v and then watch a chip cheezum episode of a different game after.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
So I started playing Project X Zone 2. What a mess of a game, I have no clue what is going on or what anybody is talking about or who half of these people are.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

So I started playing Project X Zone 2. What a mess of a game, I have no clue what is going on or what anybody is talking about or who half of these people are.

That's because not only is it a cameo game, it's like the fifth game in a series of cameo games that all share the same continuity.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The demo was really misleading, they skipped a bunch of stages that have people from games I've never played and jumped straight to characters from yakuza ace attorney tekken and darkstalkers

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In Peace Walker, is there any particular reason I shouldn't be fultoning every enemy? Seems like stunning them and then quickly fultoning is a good way to permanently remove them from the map, and thus you can save ammo doing so. My instinct is that I can dump dudes who suck into the mess hall or otherwise just outright release them if I have no room.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I heard a lot of horse apples about how The Boss had a really complex philosophy and I'm really confused because when I played MGS3 her philosophy was "dying for your country owns", did they retcon her character in one of the bad handheld games or something?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

I heard a lot of horse apples about how The Boss had a really complex philosophy and I'm really confused because when I played MGS3 her philosophy was "dying for your country owns", did they retcon her character in one of the bad handheld games or something?
One of the major themes of the post MGS3 games is that everybody who knew The Boss either accidentally or purposely misconstrued what The Boss believed in. The Boss pretty much said that, "Yeah the world governments suck right now but things will get better, just keeping doing the right thing. And while I'll be seen as a traitor, I'm willing to die and sacrifice my life and legacy to save the world." Big Boss and Zero both completely missed the point and actively made the world worse in what they thought The Boss wanted to the point where paramilitary companies rule the world and dudes like Armstrong can become President.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 4, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

In Peace Walker, is there any particular reason I shouldn't be fultoning every enemy? Seems like stunning them and then quickly fultoning is a good way to permanently remove them from the map, and thus you can save ammo doing so. My instinct is that I can dump dudes who suck into the mess hall or otherwise just outright release them if I have no room.

you will run out of chutes for the hostages which are much more valuable if you get to like 2-3 uses left and haven't found hostages stop using them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

One of the major themes of the post MGS3 games is that everybody who knew The Boss either accidentally or purposely misconstrued what The Boss believed in. The Boss pretty much said, that "Yeah the world governments suck right now but things will get better, just keeping doing the right thing. And while I'll be seen as a traitor, I willing to die and sacrifice my life and legacy to save the world." Big Boss and Zero both completely missed the point and actively made the world worse in what they thought The Boss wanted to the point where paramilitary companies rule the world and dudes like Armstrong can become President.
I think it depends on whether you believe her monologue before the last battle represents what she really believes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The boss believed that a soldier's purpose was to follow orders, regardless of whether they believed they were right, or so I gathered. The Boss knows there's a bigger picture at stake; today's enemy is tomorrow's friend and so on. I think she more or less just had a sort of warrior's code of her own, but since she inspired so many people, she became a symbol for whatever people wanted her to become a symbol for.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mistle posted:

Thats cool, but how does it taste?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You must be one with your box.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Accordion Man posted:

You must be one with your box.

And Big Boss didn't became one with his box. It's only until MGS4 that he realized this.

I want someone to draw a picture of The Boss Ghost just with her arms in the air with Venom Snake and motherbase, just going NO this is not what I meant at all!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Metal Gear Solid 3 is legit the best one.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

One of the major themes of the post MGS3 games is that everybody who knew The Boss either accidentally or purposely misconstrued what The Boss believed in. The Boss pretty much said that, "Yeah the world governments suck right now but things will get better, just keeping doing the right thing. And while I'll be seen as a traitor, I willing to die and sacrifice my life and legacy to save the world." Big Boss and Zero both completely missed the point and actively made the world worse in what they thought The Boss wanted to the point where paramilitary companies rule the world and dudes like Armstrong can become President.

Incidentally, the only person who actually embodies her philosophy is her pseudograndson Solid and that's only because he never knew any better. Zero who tried the hardest out of anybody to change the world for her kept unintentionally making it worse. Then when he tried to replicate the man he thought embodied her most (who is actually a piece of poo poo) and accidentally created the real successor to her.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Broseph Brostar posted:

I can't stop making miifotos of my friends. Somebody delete this app from my phone

I would do this too except all of my friends have piece of poo poo phones that don't properly encode the angle of the photo so MiiFoto keeps importing the pictures sideways and upside down.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

you will run out of chutes for the hostages which are much more valuable if you get to like 2-3 uses left and haven't found hostages stop using them
Literally just as I posted that I just got to the first set of hostages with only one fulton to spare, so yeah that's a good heads up.

Then again I guess I can just tranq everyone since I only just now noticed that I produce some 30 bullets per mission anyway; I was afraid I'd drain my supplies of them super fast so I was trying to stun everyone which of course doesn't last all that long.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah you produce so much every mission that supplies might as well be infinite. The only real resources in the game are man power and vehicles for outer ops and your gmp budget.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think holding up a guard in peace walker is better than tranqing/knock out because it doesn't wear off unless there's an alert ?? i just remember bringing the banana gun on every mission

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I always loved the soundtrack for Red Dead Revolver because of all the off-brand non-Morricone italian western music it licensed. One of the tracks sounded like an Italian knockoff of One Winged Angel in the best way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M180ASSaq0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Metal Gear is my favorite video game series. I kind of envy you, VideoGames, because you are experiencing them fresh. My feelings may be tainted with nostalgia, but I played through the series (MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGS:PW, and MGS:GZ) in the month leading up to Phantom Pain and still thought that they were fun games with admittedly over-the-top stories. Each game innovates and there are some worthwhile messages sandwiched between bi-sexual vampires and emotional broken nerds.

I hope you enjoy the games!

• Locked thread