Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Solid 60 LP gain today, went 4-1.

Only game I lost was one we should have won but this one guy "わはは" who is somehow ranked Diamond II was on my team, and he always has terrible stat lines and I always lose when he's on my team

gently caress you わはは

also

preach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Thanks none of you guys for answering the other armor stack reasons, and I forgot one. Now I know some of you Janna mains have never been in this position, but hen you're 5/0, even if you're the support you have a bounty worth 1500 gold, and if one Graves pellet misses instead of hitting when he suicides to kill you, that bounty might be the difference between your enemies completing two BTs on their next back before the next fight. Then those BTs might be the difference between their winning that fight with 4 or with 3, which can make the difference between getting double inhib'd and just single, etc. So it might make some sense to squeeze out every defensive stat you can on your budget when you're against a team of all fed dudes that can kill you before cdr gets you another rotation. It's called the butterfly effect, a popular hypothetical example of chaos theory which illustrates how small initial differences may lead to large unforeseen consequences over time. In conclusion, I'll never jokingly ask plats and jp diamonds or whatever for help when I post a for fun video ever again.

With respect.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

AHH FUGH posted:

Solid 60 LP gain today, went 4-1.

Only game I lost was one we should have won but this one guy "わはは" who is somehow ranked Diamond II was on my team, and he always has terrible stat lines and I always lose when he's on my team

gently caress you わはは

also

preach

Ask if he's daigo

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Sardine Wit posted:

It really depends who the jungle is and who the enemy support is. If the enemy support has a grab I'd probably ward the outer lane bushes but if they have a really aggressive level 2 gank jungler you might want to prioritise the river bush.

Also depends on how the lane is pushing: you shouldn't need to ward the river bush in early game unless your lane has pushed out anyway.

Thanks! What you say makes more sense now that I think about it.

I tried Soraka for a few games but I'm liking Poppy more. I need to work on the Q -> E -> W combo, and how to use the ult effectively (among many other things).

Speaking of Poppy, I got her Scarlet Hammer skin and unlocked Garen thanks to the introductory crafting chests.

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!
I have a question about early ranked games.

So I'm new as heck (been playing for like, two months and only just hit 30 some couple of days ago, as I only play a couple of games every couple of nights cause I get intimidated way easy) and this is my first foray into MOBAs, period. I've been having a good amount of fun, though, because I've had friends who play League (or friends who used to play League back in like, season 1-3 who now play Dota and have come back to mess around in some games with me) hold my hand, so I'm not totally lost. I get real intimidated easily, though, and it felt like (especially leveling up) that once we got past like, 15-20 in levels, that people got a lot better than me, though. (Or, you know, we'd be winning our lane but then our mid and top would go 0/12 against their respective absolutely terrifying lane match ups, but I imagine that happens to everyone.)

I've come to understand that that's because the 1-30 process is like, mainly smurfs. And hey, sometimes I'd do okay! There were a few times I had people angrily ask me why I was wasting money on skins on smurfs or tell me to kill myself when we were doing well, and honestly 1-15 was mostly a stompfest in our side. It just got a lot harder as time went on.

Now I mostly just duo with one of two people, trading off, and man, things have gotten a lot more difficult. Just normals feel spooky scary sometimes, and I am legit terrified to try ranked.

That said, I see a lot of people complain about things that don't happen for me. Like, people complain no one puts down wards or takes sweepers, and (as a support main, because I'm too terrified to try anything else lol) I legit see everyone putting down wards. Often times myself and the jungle has a sweeper, and they're always finding enemy wards, regular or pink. Speaking of pinks, there's a lotta those jerks, too.

So I guess my question is: maybe I'm running into more competent people in normals than I would if I were to try bronze, and lovely bronze players would be more my style? I'm mostly trying to psych myself up to try ranked, but man, it's hard, especially cause it feels like 95% of the population has been playing this game for eons or at least has moba experience somewhere else.

skellycakes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 3, 2016

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

skellycakes posted:

Now I mostly just duo with one of two people, trading off, and man, things have gotten a lot more difficult. Just normals feel spooky scary sometimes, and I am legit terrified to try ranked.

Duo queues make the players on your team worse

quote:

That said, I see a lot of people complain about things that don't happen for me. Like, people complain no one puts down wards or takes sweepers, and (as a support main, because I'm too terrified to try anything else lol) I legit see everyone putting down wards. Often times myself and the jungle has a sweeper, and they're always finding enemy wards, regular or pink. Speaking of pinks, there's a lotta those jerks, too.

Either you THINK they're putting down a lot of wards but in reality it's nothing compared to higher elo games, or they're just complaining about getting ganked or facechecking a bush like an idiot

quote:

So I guess my question is: maybe I'm running into more competent people in normals than I would if I were to try bronze, and lovely bronze players would be more my style? I'm mostly trying to psych myself up to try ranked, but man, it's hard, especially cause it feels like 95% of the population has been playing this game for eons or at least has moba experience somewhere else.

Don't play ranked until you're mentally ready. The first 10 games can mean a lot as far as your future climbing is concerned. Do lovely and tilt and end up in bronze 5 and you may never escape. Do decent and end up in Gold 5 and you have a chance to make it out of the lower elos.

It's also possible that you've won a decent number of games in normals and your normal elo rating is increasing, meaning harder games against more competent opponents.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Cheap Trick posted:

Thanks! What you say makes more sense now that I think about it.

I tried Soraka for a few games but I'm liking Poppy more. I need to work on the Q -> E -> W combo, and how to use the ult effectively (among many other things).

Speaking of Poppy, I got her Scarlet Hammer skin and unlocked Garen thanks to the introductory crafting chests.

Poppy is not a bad support at all, once you have the levels you want thunderlords for the extra damage in the combo.

Also W isn't really a part of the combo unless you need to get in position or chase someone down. If you're doing well in lane you should level Q > E > Q and crush whoever is squishy and close to a wall. Her ult is a nice disengage but it makes for a great pseudo-alistair knockup during all-ins. It can be good to start with that so you can move around and get into position for a wall stun.

She is also an amazing top laner but probably needs grasp of the undying to really sustain properly. She can also jungle but is kind of average.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

skellycakes posted:

I would stay out of ranked till you get over your anxiety about playing againest better opponents. I personally believe that 95% of getting better at this game once you start getting matched againest people of the same skill level or higher is not being intimidated by the fact they are playing better then you. Try finding a friend or goon who is in diamond or higher and do some 1v1s againest them with them giving you advice on how to improve your laning and positioning. Once you get comfortable, the game gets a lot more fun and enjoyable imo.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 3, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm feed

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
also I'll just post this again because it's probably something most people should watch before they go into ranked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHEbd3fA2c

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

AHH FUGH posted:

Don't play ranked until you're mentally ready. The first 10 games can mean a lot as far as your future climbing is concerned. Do lovely and tilt and end up in bronze 5 and you may never escape. Do decent and end up in Gold 5 and you have a chance to make it out of the lower elos.

This is only sort of true. Yes, you can certainly end up in a lovely MMR but I mean it depends on how much free time you have on your hands. The best ranked goon bar none was a dude that started in silver that season and ended up D1/Challenger (before Masters existed) playing the unholy poo poo out of the game and improving exponentially. Personally I'd sooner die than rack a thousand or more games of ranked under my belt for a single loving season but that's me.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's ok we all feed.

Is project lucian the best lucian skin?

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Servaetes posted:

This is only sort of true. Yes, you can certainly end up in a lovely MMR but I mean it depends on how much free time you have on your hands. The best ranked goon bar none was a dude that started in silver that season and ended up D1/Challenger (before Masters existed) playing the unholy poo poo out of the game and improving exponentially. Personally I'd sooner die than rack a thousand or more games of ranked under my belt for a single loving season but that's me.

Yeah it's true there is no elo hell where you're forever going to be stuck in, but bronzeV-I / silver V are definitely going to be really annoying and tilting to play in if you're actually better than that

It's more like elo purgatory, where you must climb the mountain while witnessing horrific acts of self-punishment to eventually reach the earthly paradise of teams that buy wards

Safety Scissors posted:

It's ok we all feed.

Is project lucian the best lucian skin?

One of the best skins in the game imho

It just feels good

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Plat 1 has always felt pretty agonizing because it's that horrible realm where every loving idiot trying to do their gimmick of DIAMOND TOPLANE SORAKA ONLY AMA ON REDDIT TWITCH.TV/FUCKINGIDIOTMORON alongside the dudes that are genuinely very much plat that think they really should be diamond and the occasional hysterically good smurf. And running into the same idiots repeatedly because that's all that's around to queue up

Even three years later I have ptsd from playing with/against the morde only player i had to work so loving hard to get to diamond the first time

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

skellycakes posted:

I get real intimidated easily, though, and it felt like (especially leveling up) that once we got past like, 15-20 in levels, that people got a lot better than me, though. (Or, you know, we'd be winning our lane but then our mid and top would go 0/12 against their respective absolutely terrifying lane match ups, but I imagine that happens to everyone.)

I would avoid ranked until you get comfortable playing the game. But more importantly, if you get that much anxiety playing the game, just queue normals and mute everyone to begin the game. There's literally no repercussions for losing a normals game, so don't let the trolls get to you, some people just rage no matter what happens.

Either way there's no need to rush into ranked. Just wait for the summer when everyone's in their proper place and the only people doing placements are fresh level 30s.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Plat is bad because it's better than Gold (which is where most of the playerbase would be happy to stay in forever) and not Diamond, which is where the tryhard people want to reach. Plat 1 is the peak of that tryhard rage, but god, getting out of that elo/tier feels so good once you finally do.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
This is just my opinion but ima present it as fact with no backing evidence.

gently caress this "wait til you're ready" poo poo. Just dive right in and feed your face off, get placed, and then work toward a goal. Want to know how yo get over ranked anxiety? Play ranked. Play normals for fun and goofin and experimenting and poo poo like that but if you really want to learn the game better and improve, play some ranked. I used to have incredibly bad ladder anxiety and now I don't. The method works.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Plat 1 has always felt pretty agonizing because it's that horrible realm where every loving idiot trying to do their gimmick of DIAMOND TOPLANE SORAKA ONLY AMA ON REDDIT TWITCH.TV/FUCKINGIDIOTMORON alongside the dudes that are genuinely very much plat that think they really should be diamond and the occasional hysterically good smurf. And running into the same idiots repeatedly because that's all that's around to queue up

Even three years later I have ptsd from playing with/against the morde only player i had to work so loving hard to get to diamond the first time

the worst thing is when those guys do not get to play their gimmick champion so they are just like low gold level players who have no idea what the hell they are doing anymore. i played a game on my buddys plat 1 account one time and it was obnoxious because our mid velkoz main was forced to go top and just fed his rear end as riven meanwhile my leona support set up a dictatorship down there and would micromanage everything i did. naturally, when things went south it was my fault but anything good that happened was a result of "me finally listening". i can only imagine what people actually trying to rank through that clusterfuck would have to deal with

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

AHH FUGH posted:

also I'll just post this again because it's probably something most people should watch before they go into ranked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHEbd3fA2c

I love this video, but man sometimes you just get a Lee Sin on your team that fails one gank and then afks because "poo poo team"

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I'd like to have a second champion to play when Volibear gets picked/banned but nothing I've tried has really seemed to click with me. I only play jungle and top and I prefer to play champs that are relatively to really tanky. Udyr feels like a strong choice, but he gets banned in about 85-90% of Bronze/Silver games. Same with Jax and Mundo. Anyone willing to toss out some ideas? Here's my op.gg if you want to look at all the champions I've tried and failed to play.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Communist fire bear is... Good

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
queued up as support primary, fill secondary. Got placed in top lane. :feelsgood:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

slydingdoor posted:

Thanks none of you guys for answering the other armor stack reasons, and I forgot one. Now I know some of you Janna mains have never been in this position, but hen you're 5/0, even if you're the support you have a bounty worth 1500 gold, and if one Graves pellet misses instead of hitting when he suicides to kill you, that bounty might be the difference between your enemies completing two BTs on their next back before the next fight. Then those BTs might be the difference between their winning that fight with 4 or with 3, which can make the difference between getting double inhib'd and just single, etc. So it might make some sense to squeeze out every defensive stat you can on your budget when you're against a team of all fed dudes that can kill you before cdr gets you another rotation. It's called the butterfly effect, a popular hypothetical example of chaos theory which illustrates how small initial differences may lead to large unforeseen consequences over time. In conclusion, I'll never jokingly ask plats and jp diamonds or whatever for help when I post a for fun video ever again.

With respect.

How could you have a 1500 gold bounty? It's just 90 gold globally and 300 to your killer...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Look man, ask yourself how much this poo poo matters. If your'e just playing the game for fun, how much is the next game you play, ranked or not, going to matter in the overall context of your life in 5 years? A year? Next week? Not one itty bitty bit, that's how much. Try and ignore the potential end result and find your fun in the little moments within each match, when you get first blood, when you win your lane, when you toss a guy who's been stomping all over you into your team and they get revenge on your behalf.

On the other hand, if you're investing time into this game as a serious hobby that you want to attain mastery of, you should be looking forward to each game as an opportunity to grow and improve at your chosen pastime. Every time you get your rear end handed to you, you should try to identify at least one mistake that you made that led to your loss, and try to not make that mistake again. You'll get incrementally better every time you internalize one of those lessons. And again, the outcome of a particular game doesn't really matter if you're trying to get better, the important part is what did you learn while you were winning/losing?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Mr. Humalong posted:

I'd like to have a second champion to play when Volibear gets picked/banned but nothing I've tried has really seemed to click with me. I only play jungle and top and I prefer to play champs that are relatively to really tanky. Udyr feels like a strong choice, but he gets banned in about 85-90% of Bronze/Silver games. Same with Jax and Mundo. Anyone willing to toss out some ideas? Here's my op.gg if you want to look at all the champions I've tried and failed to play.

Sion is a good tank who is rarely contested. You can play him top or jungle, although he's better top.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

I love this video, but man sometimes you just get a Lee Sin on your team that fails one gank and then afks because "poo poo team"

Yeah but that guy is not the reason why you are stuck where you are.

And if you want to get ahead so you won't meet people like him, sadly there is a Lee Sin like this on every rank , there is no escape

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Bholder posted:

Yeah but that guy is not the reason why you are stuck where you are.

And if you want to get ahead so you won't meet people like him, sadly there is a Lee Sin like this on every rank , there is no escape

Oh I wasn't blaming him for me being stuck or whatever, I'm just saying ~*~you can't win em all~*~

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Transient People posted:

How could you have a 1500 gold bounty? It's just 90 gold globally and 300 to your killer...
Yeah I was unclear. First shutdown's 300 kill 150 assist 450 team so 900 total. Then the second's 300 kill 150 assist 150 team for 600 total. Sum 1500.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Also the best way to make LOL less anxiety inducing is discovering the mute buttons next to people's names when you tab. If someone says something that's a downer just mute them. They can still ping if they need something, its not like the game forces you to listen to them sperging out.

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!
Thanks for everyone's responses with regards to whether or not I should take the plunge into ranked or not! I think I'll give it a try after a bit more time trying to familiarize myself with other roles/champions because I think exposure would probably work best as far as lessening my anxiety. I really need to cut out the weird competitive streak I have going, especially when it involves things I am not yet good at. The advice about taking away all the good parts from a losing game is really wise, as is the advice to mute the hell out of everyone. It just sucks because in the early levels everyone is so chatty and nice and then you get to 30 and suddenly everyone is a huge donglord. In the beginning when more of my friends were playing (most have since gone back to DotA or the Division) we ran a lot of 5 mans and even when we lost I found I totally didn't care and was significantly more relaxed. I think it's just something about messing up in front of (often surly as hell) strangers that's hard because I'm retarded.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

skellycakes posted:

Thanks for everyone's responses with regards to whether or not I should take the plunge into ranked or not! I think I'll give it a try after a bit more time trying to familiarize myself with other roles/champions because I think exposure would probably work best as far as lessening my anxiety. I really need to cut out the weird competitive streak I have going, especially when it involves things I am not yet good at. The advice about taking away all the good parts from a losing game is really wise, as is the advice to mute the hell out of everyone. It just sucks because in the early levels everyone is so chatty and nice and then you get to 30 and suddenly everyone is a huge donglord. In the beginning when more of my friends were playing (most have since gone back to DotA or the Division) we ran a lot of 5 mans and even when we lost I found I totally didn't care and was significantly more relaxed. I think it's just something about messing up in front of (often surly as hell) strangers that's hard because I'm retarded.

If you place bronze and want a duoq buddy, I'll hang with you. :shobon: I main ADC, but can also support and top.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
http://plays.tv/video/5701ceaaeae36b0a1c/nah

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

:boom:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

lmao

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

pog boyfriend posted:

the worst thing is when those guys do not get to play their gimmick champion so they are just like low gold level players who have no idea what the hell they are doing anymore. i played a game on my buddys plat 1 account one time and it was obnoxious because our mid velkoz main was forced to go top and just fed his rear end as riven meanwhile my leona support set up a dictatorship down there and would micromanage everything i did. naturally, when things went south it was my fault but anything good that happened was a result of "me finally listening". i can only imagine what people actually trying to rank through that clusterfuck would have to deal with

Yeah, the Singed guy Invertedcomposer defaulted to a very bad Yorick, the Morde jerkoff I've mentioned a few times had a very bad Annie, it's just gross. D5-D4, which was as far as I cared to give a poo poo about ranked was relatively chill.

I've mentioned it a few times too but I had to support Phreak's Vayne way back when I was trying super hard and his micromanaging of my Nami was the most annoying loving thing in the universe. I can't cover a dude that flashes and ult tumbles two loving screens away as Nami, cmon dude

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

anti-magic posted:

Poppy is not a bad support at all, once you have the levels you want thunderlords for the extra damage in the combo.

Also W isn't really a part of the combo unless you need to get in position or chase someone down. If you're doing well in lane you should level Q > E > Q and crush whoever is squishy and close to a wall. Her ult is a nice disengage but it makes for a great pseudo-alistair knockup during all-ins. It can be good to start with that so you can move around and get into position for a wall stun.

She is also an amazing top laner but probably needs grasp of the undying to really sustain properly. She can also jungle but is kind of average.

Thanks for the tips! Gonna be great when I can actually use Thunderlords in my masteries (level 18?)

Gonna do some more Poppy blind picks tonight, armed with your advice. Smashing fools with a big hammer never gets old. Looking to unlock Alistar or Janna next.

I also fully accept that I will likely get placed into Bronze when I make it into ranked for the first time. :D Hey, it's just video games.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

Smashing fools with a big hammer never gets old.

oh man you are going to go ape poo poo when you get jayce

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

hang on man i know you just got grabbed but listen

i gotta go auto this scuttle once or twice

peace out everybody

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

slydingdoor posted:

Yeah I was unclear. First shutdown's 300 kill 150 assist 450 team so 900 total. Then the second's 300 kill 150 assist 150 team for 600 total. Sum 1500.

Thornmail's just not really a good item on supports and there's not much else to say about it. Maybe on a leona or braum as a last item if they're really fed but even then it's kinda questionable.

You're better off with components that have CDR on them like a glacial shroud because they give you more hooks and flays. Even if it's not a completed item it's still more useful to you than the thornmail would be, because as a support you're not "tanking" damage for long periods of time. You're either being ignored or being focused and dying within 2-3 seconds. Thornmail's efficient on beefy characters like rammus or poppy who have things on their kit that let them survive longer so the thornmail has more time to work, even while being focused they'll take 7-10 seconds to kill, more than double the length of time it will ever take to kill any support.

Kindlegems, codexes, and glacial shrouds are amazingly good buys in the midgame, don't think they aren't because they're components instead of completed items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I listed a bunch of reasons why it might have been the right situational buy at that particular time in that particular game that no one noticed or answered. Instead they just kept repeating the same canned responses... Huh, maybe I stumbled upon the truths that the secret cult of elite support mains don't want people like me to know! :tinfoil:

Nah, I'm boosted and I know it :golfclap:

Also before the next person naga's this out

slydingdoor posted:

I'll never jokingly ask [...] for help when I post a for fun video ever again.
pk's the one who was boosting me.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 4, 2016

• Locked thread