Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

F Minus

Mary Worth

"I have heard reports of this physical activity you earthlings call 'yoga.' It is said to be enjoyable."

Rex Morgan MD

Mr Avery's doing his best Don Corleone impression there in that second panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So when does Bloom County start getting good.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"I have heard reports of this physical activity you earthlings call 'yoga.' It is said to be enjoyable."

Oh, please please please give us yoga in Mary Worth. I really want to see this.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Looks like you can still move your mouth, Spidey. Use that to save the day!

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

She didn't date him because he's a hero OR because she'd enjoy his company. She dated him because he's hot.

Prince Valiant

That hand. :stare:

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

While it's true that the Beverly clock hasn't been wound since it was made in 1864, Wiki tells me that that's pretty much because it's not really made to be wound. Besides that, saying it hasn't been wound in so-many years isn't the same as saying it hasn't stopped in that time. It has, often for maintenance purposes. So, kind of a cop-out, Ripley's.
So, it's essentially the same as me saying that the clock on my wall hasn't been wound since it was made (because it's battery-powered)? :what:

:golfclap:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Always Belittlin Found a few of these, thought they would be of interest. 1931.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

In TYOOL 2016, somebody got paid to make this.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Simian_Prime posted:

In TYOOL 2016, somebody got paid to make this.

I kind of wonder how Shulock's doing since A3G ended.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Taear posted:

Even after so many years of these threads I can't quite wrap my head around how terrible compu-toon is. I scroll past the stuff I have no interest in but each time Compu-Toon stops me and I wish it would go away.
I get he's just trying to educate the masses...

I realllllly don't think Compu-Toon is meant to be educational. (Aside from that Keypad Kid comic book.)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slammy posted:

Life In Hell

Quoting in full size for the people that usually scroll past.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I... I don't think Matt Groening had a very good childhood, guys. :smith:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

Ugh, hate it when people propagate the inevitable cycle of abuse myth.

Having an abused parent in a high-risk family means the odds jump from 10% to 23%, yeah. The odds are worse, yeah. That's not a guarantee, and what the pat 'cycle of abuse' story does is both shift blame away from the abuser, and tell the victim that they're a monster now. Neither of those are good things.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

Well, he did name Homer and Marge after his parents...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tunicate posted:

Ugh, hate it when people propagate the inevitable cycle of abuse myth.

Having an abused parent in a high-risk family means the odds jump from 10% to 23%, yeah. The odds are worse, yeah. That's not a guarantee, and what the pat 'cycle of abuse' story does is both shift blame away from the abuser, and tell the victim that they're a monster now. Neither of those are good things.

My mom was abused but was a very good mom :3:

Seriously her dad gave out hypodermic injections of hot water as punishments he was Seriously hosed Up

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My great-grandmother was an abusive, terrible parent- that (and WWII) turned my grandpa bipolar, not abusive.

I had more issues with "School is Hell", probably because of all the crap my teacher parents have had to go through. I know it sounds kind of authoritarian and oversensitive, but teaching kids to disrespect their teacher's authority is irresponsible and it has serious repercussions. If the parents reinforce this, you end up with kids who don't listen and don't give a poo poo, and our culture is inclined to blame the teacher for not "reaching them".

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Well, that's the strangest re-telling of the "string around my finger" joke I've seen. Go Pastis.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why are they still looking for a way out when there's a hole about a foot above them that they could easily fit through?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The goon guy could never make it. Though it would provide ample opportunity for butt viewing.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Simian_Prime posted:

I'm pretty sure he was trying to write an overly dramatic kid, but awareness of a societal problem caught up with him in the long run. MG told Rolling Stone back in the day that as a kid he kept a journal of childhood grievances and small injustices, then he went back to read it as an adult and decided that Kid Matt was totally on the money. And that's where Bongo came from. That and a night of Binky's drunken carousing.

Kavak posted:

I had more issues with "School is Hell", probably because of all the crap my teacher parents have had to go through. I know it sounds kind of authoritarian and oversensitive, but teaching kids to disrespect their teacher's authority is irresponsible and it has serious repercussions. If the parents reinforce this, you end up with kids who don't listen and don't give a poo poo, and our culture is inclined to blame the teacher for not "reaching them".

While I agree with pretty much everything you're saying here, I doubt that his target audience was actual children. Even if you didn't know reader demographics of the alt-weeklies Life in Hell usually got published in back in the 80s, "jive-rear end baloney" is a dead giveaway.

Skippy (February 4, 1929)

Peanuts (April 7, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean on the dangers of not calling ahead.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 18-19, 1929)

Thimble Theater, in which Castor finally figures out the magnitude of his dumbassery. (October 22, 1929)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
90 acres of onions is a lot of onions.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

TOBY

Wallace the Brave

Dadding Badly

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (March 12, 1951)

Barnaby (August 17, 1942)

Nancy (April 26, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (January 7, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (February 5, 1923)

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Back the gently caress up, that hot shot actor's name is Mason Jarr? That's dumb, that's even for a guy who does "old people are old, heh" comics.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

goatface posted:

90 acres of onions is a lot of onions.
Only two days left before they become the only thing anyone can afford, too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 18-19, 1929)

I'm not sure why, but I like seeing mistakes like this when looking at these old comics (assuming I'm right and the word balloon is pointing to the wrong person). Probably because these are old and hand-made and it's like "How did that even happen?" Were the balloons done after the fact or as he composed the panel? Did he do the balloons first? Did he have an assistant that just did word balloons and messed up? Rarebit Fiend has a few mistakes sometimes, but mostly typos. Those are much more understandable, especially since he clearly drew and filled in the word balloons as he drew the panels, frequently just plain running out of room and squeezing text in or hyphenating it and continuing it the next panel, which gives it it's own charm, really. To redo those you'd have to do the whole page. I wonder if it drove him crazy when he noticed a typo like it would me.

Anyways, here's some comics from a whole span of history really.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

"All right! Broads!"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

I like this guest artist.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dilbert

Brenna Thummler appears to be another Andrews McMeel staff artist and, if the samples on her Web page are anything to go by, is totally wasted on Dilbert.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A birther joke in 2016? That's...interesting.

She's going to end up trying to get with her teacher, isn't she?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Selachian posted:

Well, he did name Homer and Marge after his parents...

Speaking of which, Homer Groening was a filmmaker, and also apparently a cartoonist himself. While I can't find Homer's cartoons online, some of his short films are on YouTube. Here's one, which features young Matt Groening narrating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYIH6tfeNtw

By all accounts, Homer Groening was nothing like the cartoon character named after him, although the real Homer really loved donuts.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

A birther joke in 2016? That's...interesting.

You've clearly not been following the republican primaries.

Good job, keep it up.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

treasureplane posted:

King Aroo (March 12, 1951)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tpn-ZGL8Ok

I haven't really payed much attention to King Aroo until now.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dilbert

Reminds me of the Dilbert animated series in a good way and I couldn't really tell you why.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Seriously her dad gave out hypodermic injections of hot water as punishments he was Seriously hosed Up

WHAT THE gently caress

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Shugojin posted:

What does that even do :psyduck:

We had Childhood is Hell in the house when I was a child, and I read it many times. That page looks different to me now than it did then.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LordSaturn posted:

What does that even do :psyduck:

Burning sensation?

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

And in November they were so close to being invited again. Pity about that assassination dealie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

A plugger's life is nightmarishly static.

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

• Locked thread