Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

What, you're saying you didn't like Fort Condor and aren't looking forward to seeing it in glorious HD?

Also why the gently caress is the superpower with planes and missile launchers andsuper soldiers being thwarted by medieval weapons. gently caress, catapults and "stoners" and crossbows were antiquated by medieval times, weren't they? I never thought about this until my latest run of FFVII because I hate that damned minigame and never think about it. But now I have thought about it, I hate it even more.

Presumably you're beating whatever poorly trained infantry got sent to mess you up. I've always felt like you're murdering Shinra's Park Services division rather than some part of their fully trained and modern army. Not that they seem to have a particularly large army outside of key cities, but I mean they did win the war 20 years ago and have seemingly done a pretty good job of rooting out popular uprisings what with a canon capable of shelling anything on another continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The simple explanation is that the guy who lead development on that minigame really liked Warcraft and invented tower defense well before its time.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If they are doing this proper, I want more towns in the world of FFVII. It felt very sparsely populated and I think they wanted a very different vibe. More urban sprawls and more clear delineation between the farmland and rural places and the newer cities that are destroying all of that.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

corn in the bible posted:

the Mako Reactor

:smith:

Saint Freak posted:

Uh no? You're playing as a new pre-teen character meant to appeal to the younger demographic. Cloud's story is disk 2.

:frogout:

zedprime posted:

The simple explanation is that the guy who lead development on that minigame really liked Warcraft and invented tower defense well before its time.

You know, a Final Fantasy themed tower defense would be neat

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

:smith:

:frogout:

I remember Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord being a tower defense game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Be careful what you wish for

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crystal Defenders is good, though.

e: Forgot what thread I was in, apologies. It's actually the worst game in the series.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'd go a little further. Jenova BIRTH would be a fitting final boss for Chapter 1.

I agree, I misremembered and thought Jenova BIRTH was the final boss of Junon. I figure the best option, yeah, would be to end with that boss, the final scene is them sailing off into the distance, and Part 2 begins with the arrival at Costa del Sol. Making Midgar the first part by itself would be a bad idea, I think. Even if you doubled the length it'd only be about 15 hours, not to mention that one thing a lot of people loved about the original was that after spending hours entirely within a dark, smoky, oppressive city, they busted out and found themselves standing before a huge, green open map... and then walked out into it and realised the game wasn't close to over. Replacing that with “To Be Continued, In, Like, 2 Years Or Something" in Remake would be lame and validate a lot of the concerns about what breaking the story up into parts might do to the pacing.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If they are doing this proper, I want more towns in the world of FFVII. It felt very sparsely populated and I think they wanted a very different vibe. More urban sprawls and more clear delineation between the farmland and rural places and the newer cities that are destroying all of that.

Agreed. I want an open world where all of the original towns like Junon or Nibelheim are now larger open cities, and the rest being open fields and forests with small, nameless Witcher 3-style villages.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Why, is it lovely? I forgot this existed.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Chapter 1 will end just as Cloud enters the Honeybee Inn. :v:

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Why, is it lovely? I forgot this existed.

The iOS/Android ones are very lovely. The 360 and Wii ones are okay. I think the PSN and 360 versions are pretty much the same.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

FF IX PC release might be coming soon? I don't know much about evidence pertaining to Steam releases but these guys seem to think that the addition of icons, EULAs, etc to Steam's database is something to get hyped about. Personally, I plan to keep my hype within reasonable limits but you guys might be more familiar with how Steam tends to work than I am.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/4dfix8/final_fantasy_ix_on_steam_just_had_an_icon_added/

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
FFXV is featured in the new issue of Gameinformer as the cover story. The coverage trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mcnZCy22Y

Fun Fact: Final Fantasy has not been on the cover of Game Informer since the 200 Issue special in December 2009. Eidos games published under Square-Enix have been featured more on Game Informer's cover than any Square-Enix developed games in Japan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well, really, what has Square done since 2009? Side projects, sequels and an MMO. All of that can be pretty successful or whatever but it's not exactly "big news."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sunning posted:

FFXV is featured in the new issue of Gameinformer as the cover story. The coverage trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mcnZCy22Y

Fun Fact: Final Fantasy has not been on the cover of Game Informer since the 200 Issue special in December 2009. Eidos games published under Square-Enix have been featured more on Game Informer's cover than any Square-Enix developed games in Japan.

Cute dog

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

There was a GAF write-up of that GameInformer cover story, mostly FFXV, but also:

quote:

-In regards to FFVII remake. Looking at the FFXIII saga as a model of release (three full-fledged games). Each game will be the size of a FFXIII game is specifically stated. In other words full scale 30+ hour RPG, and they also say plot wise nothing is off the table in terms of changes. They clarify they aren't changing everything but Kitase, Nomura, and Nojima feel since they were involved with the original game that they have the liberty to add / change what they want while still making fans happy. They also state they want FFVII Remake to gave a much shorter development cycle than FFXV.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

a much shorter development cycle than FFXV.

so that gives them until, what, 2026?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

So it's going to be dumb EU FF7 backported into actual FF7. :sigh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So it's going to be dumb EU FF7 backported into actual FF7. :sigh:

Like... short of being a literal 1-for-1 remake of FF7 (which was never going to happen) yeah, they're going to be fleshing out or expanding material. That's not a surprise.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I guess I just held a vain hope that they would return to the weird, offbeat tone of FF7 rather than the embarrassing poo poo from Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus/Crisis Core. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I guess I just held a vain hope that they would return to the weird, offbeat tone of FF7 rather than the embarrassing poo poo from Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus/Crisis Core. :smith:

Crisis Core was extremely close to FFVII in tone. Like the villain is a goofy JPOP singer who quotes an opera and Zack is a dorky goof-natured dude who competes in pushup contests and beats up villains with a beach umbrella. This is at the same time as having an actually relevant thematic plot about what being an inspiration and hero means which ends up being relevant because Zack is the dude who inspires Cloud and the plot actually deals with both the strengths and flaws of doing that.

Like it's really sort of tiring that people scream about Genesis in Crisis Core but ignore that in both tone and theme it is basically as close to a FFVII prequel you can get. AC and DoC are kind of messes but while CC has problems it isn't that it wasn't FFVII enough.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 6, 2016

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

so that gives them until, what, 2026?

I'd actually like to know if they're referring to the whole Versus XIII-XV decade, or saying each individual game will be made much faster than the 4 years it took to make XV.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
uhhhh, level 99 Zack with maxed out Full Cure and Costly Punch punching people to death???? You didn't even play the game, did you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never played Crisis Core but I think my favorite thing about it is the stuff I heard about Sephiroth's fanclub and how much shampoo Seph has to use to maintain his extremely long hair.

Ain't no shampoo in the Northern Crater, how did he keep it so nice.

There should be something like the Shadow Broker Dossier from ME2 for FFVIIR. I thought of this when thinking of what Seph's Fanclub would think if they knew what he did. They can have stuff like "Sephiroth: A Hero Betrayed" that is their revisionist, fanboy view of events. It be a great sort of self-aware joke since you get that poo poo plenty in real life so why not also in-universe.

Also could learn things about our party. I mean, it's not gonna happen, just an idle wish.

quote:

and they also say plot wise nothing is off the table in terms of changes. They clarify they aren't changing everything but Kitase, Nomura, and Nojima feel since they were involved with the original game that they have the liberty to add / change what they want while still making fans happy.

I'm a bit worried. Nojima is extremely hit-or-miss. Then again, his biggest misses were VIII and the X-2.5 novel so maybe it's just a case of needing an editor/other writers to hold him back.

I'm not saying I'm adverse to changes but I do have to wonder what kind of changes they have in mind.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 6, 2016

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Also could learn things about our party. I mean, it's not gonna happen, just an idle wish.

I actually think this could be a good solution to the 'bare open world' issue. You could have a huge world with massive stretches of field/forest between places, and have characters talking while riding chocobos to fill the several-minute travel times. There could be multiple voiced conversations for every character combination.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

I actually think this could be a good solution to the 'bare open world' issue. You could have a huge world with massive stretches of field/forest between places, and have characters talking while riding chocobos to fill the several-minute travel times. There could be multiple voiced conversations for every character combination.

Some sort of Dragon Age party banter thing? I'd be cool with that. One of my favorite things about XIII was the little pieces of dialogue you got in battle, with special exchanges between specific pairs of characters. X did this even better with dialogue based upon your place in the story and the characters. I never used Wakka but there's some really cool exchanges you get between him and Lulu or even him and Lulu and Tidus on the Mi'ihen Highroad and stuff.

It wasn't anything amazing but it was a neat touch and a lot of those tiny, seemingly minor neat touches can make a game great. And upgrading it to something a bit longer and more substantive be even better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since Final Fantasy X HD sold so well is it safe to say we'll probably see Final Fantasy 12 HD at some point?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There are people that like X though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BreakAtmo posted:

So like Deadly Premonition, in a way?

The open world was largely giant and pointless and your car took gas(wtf) but York having constant discussions with Zack, especially about movies, made you want to continue to use the car and explore. It was great.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

So like Deadly Premonition, in a way?

The open world was largely giant and pointless and your car took gas(wtf) but York having constant discussions with Zack, especially about movies, made you want to continue to use the car and explore. It was great.

I still need to play Deadly Premonition, but that sounds like exactly what I meant, and also awesome. The way I imagine it would work is that all the characters would be on chocobos, you would select the place you want to go on a map, and they would take off and ride in real time, and when you select a character pair they automatically start riding next to each other and talking.

Obviously you could just ride freely as well, but I think this would add more to it. FFVII is supposed to be set over a whole world, and if it really is huge with each continent being similar in size to FFXV's whole open world there would be a lot of open space. Which I would love because it gives a sense of place, but you really would need on-demand chocobos to make your way around. You could even whistle for them! Deadly Premonition + Red Dead Redemption = Final Fantasy VII?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

quote:

They also state they want FFVII Remake to gave a much shorter development cycle than FFXV.

Cute. Pretty great idea for them to put Nomura in the director's seat when he's ostensibly supposed to be getting Kingdom Hearts 3 out at some point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bloodychill posted:

Cute. Pretty great idea for them to put Nomura in the director's seat when he's ostensibly supposed to be getting Kingdom Hearts 3 out at some point.

Can I bring up something I've found hilarious for KH3? Ultimately it was only actually announced when Versus got changed to XV. Like that was its official unveiling. And yet, listening to people, they act like it was announced 10 years ago and it's been in the same position of no progress being made.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Onmi posted:

Can I bring up something I've found hilarious for KH3? Ultimately it was only actually announced when Versus got changed to XV. Like that was its official unveiling. And yet, listening to people, they act like it was announced 10 years ago and it's been in the same position of no progress being made.

That's nearly three years ago and while we get screenshots and tidbits every now and then, it still looks like it's a ways off with a nebulous non-release date. Announcing a game 4+ years in advance of release is getting old and most devs are wising up to that fact.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bloodychill posted:

That's nearly three years ago and while we get screenshots and tidbits every now and then, it still looks like it's a ways off with a nebulous non-release date. Announcing a game 4+ years in advance of release is getting old and most devs are wising up to that fact.

No no, I mean 3 years ago, people were acting like it had been announced 10 years ago and they were finally getting a scrap of information. I agree that the tactic of "Announce a game when it's not done" hurts more than helps. I mean there is the idea of building buzz, but typically I just tend to push poo poo from my mind until it has an actual release date, otherwise it tends to get stupid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Onmi posted:

No no, I mean 3 years ago, people were acting like it had been announced 10 years ago and they were finally getting a scrap of information. I agree that the tactic of "Announce a game when it's not done" hurts more than helps. I mean there is the idea of building buzz, but typically I just tend to push poo poo from my mind until it has an actual release date, otherwise it tends to get stupid.

thats because kh2 ends with a teaser for a sequel

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've watched the FF XV event and I think it was amazing. Even keeping in mind that it was obviously a publicity stunt, it was a well rehearsed one in a good location, but beside that: just imagine you and hundreds (thousands?) of your fellow Final Fantasy fans in the same room with Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yoko Shimomura, Yoshitaka Amano and Hajime Tabata, with Nobuo Uematsu greeting you through the screen from afar, all waiting (well, the fans, the staff probably knew the release date, and there was that leak) for information culminating in learning just when you'll be able to play the game you've been waiting for over ten years, name-change notwithstanding. I wish I could've been there and am happy for those who were, the lucky ones.

And the Platinum demo is really weird, but I could fight Iron Giant on the first teaser's stairs and I'm happy with that. It said little of the FF XV world instead, but was extraordinarily pretty, Carbuncle is cute and my friend and flying on your sword is fun. The only problem I could see is that the fight, even with LV 15 Red Skull Warning etc. Iron Giant is easy because you couldn't really die - even without Ruby Light I could just limp away, wait for my HP to regen to half and get back into the fight. But FF was rarely about sheer difficulty, so I can live with that. Holding the button to attack is a non-issue, because you can also mash if you're so inclined:v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That Iron Giant is a regular enemy on your first attempt. It's not a boss character at all.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

That Iron Giant is a regular enemy on your first attempt. It's not a boss character at all.

The first one is level 3, the repeated fights are level 15, with sufficiently pumped stats - maybe still not a boss, but quite formidable. It's easy to evade attacks with the Warp strike, though, since you have the building to fall back on even if he smashes all the lampposts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

thats because kh2 ends with a teaser for a sequel

So? The first KH did and it didn't get a sequel announcement for ages. Besides a bunch of KH games came out in the interim. I'm not saying "They never announced KH3 so there was no guarantee that it was coming." But "Then never announced KH3, and waiting with bated breath for something attached to a very vague teaser trailer that didn't even have a name attached to it, is frankly kind of dumb."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I thought KH3 did get a named teaser trailer though? Back in like 2007. And then they realized they could just milk the hell out of side-games instead of actually finishing the series.