Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Man, Goldknight Castigator is one of the biggest trap cards in a while, especially in a limited format with white and blue enchantment removal, and a common that gives double strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Like it's an actual card? Some people at my LGS were singing its praises.

Oh no, if I was trying to win, I probably would have played Biting Rain over it; it seems pretty mediocre. On the other hand, if I'd done that, I would not have won a game with Triskaidekaphobia

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Well I'll be damned. I thought I'd caught up on all the new rule changes, but I didn't play any BFZ or OOW so I missed that one. Thanks.

He should've scryed before the game started, at a competitive event taking the scry after game actions have been taken is basically cheating. Your post also read to me like he chose to be on the play and still drew on turn 1, I'm assuming I'm reading that wrong?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
look it doesnt matter if it's good or not, that has little to do with whether or not it's a great card (which it is)

so let's have a page or two of Triskaidekaphobia chat and figure this deck out please! you all start I'll watch. go on then. :D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

Oh no, if I was trying to win, I probably would have played Biting Rain over it; it seems pretty mediocre. On the other hand, if I'd done that, I would not have won a game with Triskaidekaphobia

Well for me that card was Tamiyo's Journal, which was better than I thought. Trouble is, when you have one other worthwhile card in the deck, tutoring isn't all that great.

I had a poor pool, but for the last round (after only one match win) I decided to play the fun cards, dumping green for blue. I assembled Tamiyo's Journal + Erdwal Illuminator. That was fun.

I won the match, but mostly beause I was paired against an inexperienced, and obviously pretty tired kid (with insane cards).

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
here's a good tip for any Triskaidekaphobia players: queue up a short clip from the arena scene of hbo's Rome on your phone right before you deliver the finishing blow. when your opponent sees Vorenus shout THIRTEEN he will know the true shame of defeat.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Well for me that card was Tamiyo's Journal, which was better than I thought. Trouble is, when you have one other worthwhile card in the deck, tutoring isn't all that great.

I had a poor pool, but for the last round (after only one match win) I decided to play the fun cards, dumping green for blue. I assembled Tamiyo's Journal + Erdwal Illuminator. That was fun.

I won the match, but mostly beause I was paired against an inexperienced, and obviously pretty tired kid (with insane cards).

I'm of the opinion that there's rarely such a thing as an unplayable pool; you should post it in the Limited thread

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

I'm of the opinion that there's rarely such a thing as an unplayable pool; you should post it in the Limited thread

I didn't say unplayable, just poor. Had some fine cards but poorly distributed over the colors. I played a WG aggresive deck that won when it curved out well (barely had any removal). Almost all the games were very close (lost 2 games with opponents at 1), but I had a very hard time winning after the board stabilized.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just got back from the final pre-release of the weekend; a 2HG sealed pre-release at my favorite casual store.

I opened the best pool ever, including:
Promo Thing in the Ice
Sorin
Anguished Unmaking
Ever After
Foil Gitrog Monster

Together my partner and I had a crazy pool - I built BW spirits with a small splash of green for the Monster. He build UG Investigate/mill - which is how we won ever round. Two of our rounds came down to us at 1 life and our opponents with 3 or less cards in library. They were all real nail biters, and we were about to lose to a pair of Gibbering Fiends on our upkeep but, after busting 3 clues my partners draws in to Just the Wind, bounces the Fiend, and we win. In one of our rounds we took advantage of the flipped Hermit Werewolf's ability (which is MANDATORY) to mill out our opponents.

This was the most fun I've had at a pre-release, even if we didn't do as well. Each round was fun and each participant loved the action.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This slipped my mind yesterday after the pre-release, but I wanted to ask about something weird that happened during one of my matches.

My opponent and I had both mulliganed our initial hands. On the second draw, we both kept and he took the first turn. When he went to draw, he looked at the top card of his library, put it on the bottom of his deck, and then drew the next card (scrying, essentially). I was like :what: and asked him what the deal was. He replied that it was customary for each player to be able to scry 1 if both people mulliganed. He was not the only person I saw doing that at this particular prerelease. Since it was the last round and I was already 0-2, I let it go and played on, eventually winning the match.

Is this mulligan scry thing an accepted practice now, or some weird regional thing (this was in upstate NY), or did I just get scammed? I've been playing MTG off and on for 15+ years now, never seen anyone do anything like that before. Had it been for higher stakes I probably would've called a judge, it seems very dubious.

No offense, but is it possible you're misremembering the sequence of events since you haven't played in at least a few months, were tired, and were thrown for a loop when your opponent scryed? For your opponent to gently caress up that bad on the mulligan rule (saying it only happens when both players mulligan) is strange when the rule has been in practice for months. Also why did he draw a card if he was taking the first turn, as you said? Also you said you saw other people do the same thing, were they also scrying and then drawing a card when they were on the play?

Mr. Unlucky posted:

look it doesnt matter if it's good or not, that has little to do with whether or not it's a great card (which it is)

so let's have a page or two of Triskaidekaphobia chat and figure this deck out please! you all start I'll watch. go on then. :D

Painlands are in the format, this is a non-starter until players can't "mana burn" themselves out of harm's way.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

clamiam45 posted:

Got my 8 digit DCI number back from 2002, now time to get ready for my first paper pre-release in years! :coolfish:

Went 3-0 with Black/Red! I played somewhat aggro, which I thought would be bad in sealed, but worked out well. Flying was absurdly good for me. I had Heir of Falkenrath, two Olivia's Bloodsworn, and Crow of Dark Tidings. Other MVP was Accursed Witch as my games were grindy and the drain effect helped a lot.

I splashed for Arlinn Kord, but of course never drew it.

Where do people sell their cards on SA? Is there still a thread in SAMart?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

No offense, but is it possible you're misremembering the sequence of events since you haven't played in at least a few months, were tired, and were thrown for a loop when your opponent scryed? For your opponent to gently caress up that bad on the mulligan rule (saying it only happens when both players mulligan) is strange when the rule has been in practice for months. Also why did he draw a card if he was taking the first turn, as you said? Also you said you saw other people do the same thing, were they also scrying and then drawing a card when they were on the play?

Painlands are in the format, this is a non-starter until players can't "mana burn" themselves out of harm's way.

They'll burn themselves out of range of Triskaidekaphobia 1, but how about Triskaidekaphobia 2? :getin:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Balon posted:

I opened the best pool ever, including:
Promo Thing in the Ice

What up promo thing in the ice buddy. I even managed to flip it once! Rest of my pool was hot garbage though. Best play of the day: I was stuck on 2-3 lands for a while but managed to keep the game competitive with thing in the ice and ample shamble backs and all my cheap removal. Gal I'm playing sacs her whole board to westvale abbey (which killed me last game, card good) and I compelling deterrence her ormendahl back to her empty hand. That triggered the last ice counter off and then I won. She was a great sport about the utter blowout which was nice.

BJPaskoff posted:

That's a good point I hadn't thought about. I have a mostly-nostalgia-driven-I'm-sure fondness for mana burn and would cite interesting designs like spectral searchlight but I suppose it allows for sweet cards like triskaidekaphobia to not be awful. So since it cuts both ways it's probably best to cut the arbitrary and rarely relevant rule. oh well

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Pontius Pilate posted:

What up promo thing in the ice buddy. I even managed to flip it once! Rest of my pool was hot garbage though. Best play of the day: I was stuck on 2-3 lands for a while but managed to keep the game competitive with thing in the ice and ample shamble backs and all my cheap removal. Gal I'm playing sacs her whole board to westvale abbey (which killed me last game, card good) and I compelling deterrence her ormendahl back to her empty hand. That triggered the last ice counter off and then I won. She was a great sport about the utter blowout which was nice.

That's a good point I hadn't thought about. I have a mostly-nostalgia-driven-I'm-sure fondness for mana burn and would cite interesting designs like spectral searchlight but I suppose it allows for sweet cards like triskaidekaphobia to not be awful. So since it cuts both ways it's probably best to cut the arbitrary and rarely relevant rule. oh well

Going with the mill strategy we managed to flip it with a Manic Scribe on the board, then replay the scribe for additional triggers. Attacking was gravy but it got dealt with quickly.

In a multiplayer format the Delirium uncommons are HOUSES. in 2HG Obsessive Skinner distributes 2 counters, Topplegeist taps down each player's biggest threat, Gibbering Fiend turns in to a solo clock, etc.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mr. Unlucky posted:

here's a good tip for any Triskaidekaphobia players: queue up a short clip from the arena scene of hbo's Rome on your phone right before you deliver the finishing blow. when your opponent sees Vorenus shout THIRTEEN he will know the true shame of defeat.

Card made me think of that scene, too, but mostly because because it's a big dumb idiot fighting a brave but doomed fight against people who have actual weapons.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Played RG Werewolves with Ulvenwald Hydra (loving insane limited bomb!) tonight to a 3-0-1 split for 7 prize packs. The most exciting thing I got all night was Declaration in Stone. The girl who split with me and took her packs from the box before me? First pack Avacyn. :negative:

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS
Played at a new store today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just lost the worst two headed giant game I have ever played.

Opposing team went T2 mushroom mana dork T3 fractured vision T4 fractured vision.

Guess we take 8 each turn :(

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Sirius Sam posted:

Please give story of Sir Dirty Hand

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sirius Sam posted:

I'm going to guess mechanic. Hoping mechanic. Otherwise am gonna go be sick.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Sirius Sam posted:

:chanpop:

Did another 2 Sealed events today. First pool had nuts rares in my deck. Had loving pack foil Avacyn, pack foil Angel of Deliverance, Bygone Bishop, Startled Awake, Prized Amalgam, Anguished Unmaking, Rattlechains. I went 2-2. Didn't enjoy the deck that much, if I didn't draw Avacyn the deck didn't really do anything and it was a little too reactive for my tastes. Sealed is not where I want to be playing control.

The other sealed I played R/U tempo/madness with Sin Prodder and Wolf of Devil's Breach and went 4-0. I also had 2 Fiery Tempers and 2 of the blue 3/1 flier that comes back from the graveyard. JFC that card is good. In two separate matches I got my Wolf killed by Sorin when they were almost dead and had no board presence, and Sorin wasn't enough to win. I got to do some sick nasty plays, such as:

-Opponent has two 3/3s, is at 20. I have Wolf of Devil's Breach and nothing else on board. I attack with Wolf, discard Fiery Temper, kill both creatures. Opponent plays Ghoulsteed. Next turn I attack for 5, then play Gatstaf Arsonists. Opponent plays Thraben Inspector and cracks his Clue. I attack with Wolf and Arsonists, discard Just the Wind, kill the Inspector and bounce the Steed, hit for 10, they're dead.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 4, 2016

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

PJOmega posted:

I'm going to guess mechanic. Hoping mechanic. Otherwise am gonna go be sick.

What if he was playing without sleeves?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Great, at some point WotC decided that some event should give me a brand new blank DCI and that it should be assigned to my current email address so that I have literally no way to sign in under my other DCI that has my entire history on it, my judge history, etc.

Predicting how this is gonna go down with customer service: "We can't merge it because we can't verify you're the other guy. You can use the merge tool yourself by logging in to the other account."

"But I can't log in to that one because I don't have an email address associated with it."
"Our records say it's x@y.com."
"That's the address you assigned to the new dead-rear end empty useless DCI."
"Oh then just sign in to the old one and merge them."
"I CAN'T MERGE THEM BECAUSE I CAN'T SIGN IN TO MY ACTUAL DCI"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So the plot of SoI, now that I've had a closer look at the set is... Jace and Sorin come to Innistrad looking for what the hell is loving with the plane. Turns out it's Nahiri whos' been spreading the 'Religion' of Emrakul who's been infecting the plane and causing the people to mutate. likely corrupted Avacyn to. This is in response to Sorin being cool with the Eldrazi being locked on Zendikar, so Nahiri figured "How the gently caress do YOU like it?" Sorin has to kill Avacyn, Emrakul is coming, Liliana is bumbling around hunting another Demon. Humans are hosed on Innistrad once more.

So my curiosity is if Avacyn will be recreated by Sorin, or if Innistrad is just proper hosed

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Onmi posted:

So the plot of SoI, now that I've had a closer look at the set is... Jace and Sorin come to Innistrad looking for what the hell is loving with the plane. Turns out it's Nahiri whos' been spreading the 'Religion' of Emrakul who's been infecting the plane and causing the people to mutate. likely corrupted Avacyn to. This is in response to Sorin being cool with the Eldrazi being locked on Zendikar, so Nahiri figured "How the gently caress do YOU like it?" Sorin has to kill Avacyn, Emrakul is coming, Liliana is bumbling around hunting another Demon. Humans are hosed on Innistrad once more.

So my curiosity is if Avacyn will be recreated by Sorin, or if Innistrad is just proper hosed

I think the BW "sister" angel to Gisela, Sigarda and Bruna was raised in a story and is a bit of a Chekov's gun now. Supposedly Sorin can't just make Avacyn again, apparently he gave up something unique to do so in the first place (probably to be revealed) and Anguished Unmaking's exile effect seems to represent her being gone for good.

I'm not clear on the chronology of the Eldrazi escaping and Nahiri turning on Sorin, if it happened after the first or second time. What caused the second escape? I assume Nahiri didn't trash Zendikar a second time by releasing them to get revenge for the first?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think the BW "sister" angel to Gisela, Sigarda and Bruna was raised in a story and is a bit of a Chekov's gun now. Supposedly Sorin can't just make Avacyn again, apparently he gave up something unique to do so in the first place (probably to be revealed) and Anguished Unmaking's exile effect seems to represent her being gone for good.

I'm not clear on the chronology of the Eldrazi escaping and Nahiri turning on Sorin, if it happened after the first or second time. What caused the second escape? I assume Nahiri didn't trash Zendikar a second time by releasing them to get revenge for the first?

So as I understand it, They seal them the first time, Nahiri wakes up, finds out dudes are worshipping the Eldrazi and goes "loving NOPE" to the seal being broken, can't find Sorin or Ugin goes "gently caress you dudes for abandoning my plane" and decides to go hunt Sorin's rear end down. Then the event of Zendikar Block 1 happens, Sorin is like "loving NOPE" and goes to find Nahiri and Ugin, turns out Nahiri is gone (looking for Sorin) and Ugin's loving dead until DTK.

So I'm guessing in the time between Zendikar getting hosed up (and Nahiri probably finding that out) and not being able to find Sorin and Ugin she decided "You know what? this is the third time my loving plane is about to die because Sorin is a loving rear end in a top hat who's disappeared, and we only locked the Eldrazi there on his suggestion. So, I'm going to go murder his loving friends and family and then see how HE loving likes having to deal with an Eldrazi tentacle gently caress."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ob nixilis was trying to reignite his spark by loving with hedrons, hosed up in the eye of ugin and released everything, later hosed with a hedron and ignited his spark, and planeswalked the heck outta there

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Great, at some point WotC decided that some event should give me a brand new blank DCI and that it should be assigned to my current email address so that I have literally no way to sign in under my other DCI that has my entire history on it, my judge history, etc.

Predicting how this is gonna go down with customer service: "We can't merge it because we can't verify you're the other guy. You can use the merge tool yourself by logging in to the other account."

"But I can't log in to that one because I don't have an email address associated with it."
"Our records say it's x@y.com."
"That's the address you assigned to the new dead-rear end empty useless DCI."
"Oh then just sign in to the old one and merge them."
"I CAN'T MERGE THEM BECAUSE I CAN'T SIGN IN TO MY ACTUAL DCI"

They have been pretty good about merging accounts in my experience. It's not like it's a social security number.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

So is it confirmed to be emrakul then? I didn't actually look at the plot thingy in my prerelease box before I threw it away.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wurzag posted:

So is it confirmed to be emrakul then? I didn't actually look at the plot thingy in my prerelease box before I threw it away.

Tamiyo's Journal puzzle

In the spoiler season, people noticed that the quotes from Tamiyo's Journal on the clue tokens differed for each language. This mystery was solved as follows. When you take the journal number, the first digit is the clue token with that many number of words in the flavor text, the second number points out which word it is and the last number is where it fits in the final sentence. When you do this for each language you get "Remember this they came as [...] ", referencing Ugin's insight and hinting at the presence of the surviving Eldrazi Emrakul. Different versions of Tamiyo's Journal give different entry-numbers for the same flavor text. These give the same results.

So either we're being played loving hard, or it's Emrakul.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What time do I find out if I get to keep playing modern or if I only draft occasionally from now on?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

What time do I find out if I get to keep playing modern or if I only draft occasionally from now on?

Around 3 hours from now.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Onmi posted:

So as I understand it, They seal them the first time, Nahiri wakes up, finds out dudes are worshipping the Eldrazi and goes "loving NOPE" to the seal being broken, can't find Sorin or Ugin goes "gently caress you dudes for abandoning my plane" and decides to go hunt Sorin's rear end down. Then the event of Zendikar Block 1 happens, Sorin is like "loving NOPE" and goes to find Nahiri and Ugin, turns out Nahiri is gone (looking for Sorin) and Ugin's loving dead until DTK.

So I'm guessing in the time between Zendikar getting hosed up (and Nahiri probably finding that out) and not being able to find Sorin and Ugin she decided "You know what? this is the third time my loving plane is about to die because Sorin is a loving rear end in a top hat who's disappeared, and we only locked the Eldrazi there on his suggestion. So, I'm going to go murder his loving friends and family and then see how HE loving likes having to deal with an Eldrazi tentacle gently caress."

Something else happened between Sorin and Nahiri to make things worse during the timeskip. She was missing for hundreds of years, including the Zendikar and BfZ storylines, and turned into an insane cultist in the meantime. It can't just be the Eldrazi thing since Sorin has demonstrated more initiative in stopping the Eldrazi after RoE (even though he didn't do much more than contact Ugin and tell him 'we should find Nahiri, btw she hates me now') than Nahiri herself.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

As long as they don't ban simian spirit guide I'll be happy. Though even if they did I'm pretty sure I'd get over it.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

KidDynamite posted:

Just curious, what bans would trigger your quitting modern?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I think it's not going to be full on Emarkaul in tentacle mode but actually Emeria in hosed up angel mode.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I will be very surprised if there is a banning for a card that is premier in a non-Eldrazi deck.

I think Eye of Ugin is the best/"right" ban for the Eldrazi deck, and I could see banning SSG, as it is an effect modern deson't really get (plus it's what opens up potential T2 /T3 kills for decks that have no business being that fast.)

I don't think they ban Mox Opal because whilst it is very powerful, it's constraints are meaningful. It allows Affinity to go over the top a bit easier, but not many other decks get to use it as metalcraft is a real "cost", and it being legendary is a huge downside for a lot of decks that would run it, as they often run it as a land replacement, and multiple Mox draws are pretty awful in those decks. Yes, you can Lotus Petal it, and if you have an Arcbound Ravager it can be sacced to that, but most of the time it is super awkward.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

AceClown posted:

I think it's not going to be full on Emarkaul in tentacle mode but actually Emeria in hosed up angel mode.

Yeah, I like this idea, or of it being more Emrakul's presence, say as a legendary enchantment, rather than physical manifestation. It would be neat if Emeria figured into things, maybe even being reforged into the new archangel, but at the same time the "Emeria" identity should only be a think on Zendikar where she was misremembered as such. I am happy for cool to overrule reason in this though.

Edit: By the way, the Innistrad cultist's have a symbol that looks like a circle with three hooked lines, which I think could represent Emrakul's tendrils hanging from the moon.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AceClown posted:

but...Emeria doesn't exist. She's just a morphed memory of the ancient zendikari from giant hosed up monsters to "the gods" Emeria is Emrakul. There is no other separate entity that is Emeria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
They used to have books that corresponded to sets. I liked the ones I read. They do that anymore?

• Locked thread