Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theultimo posted:

well mini dp never caught on much

lol you are wrong about literally everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hmm my $300 acer xxxtreme gaming federation edition laptop doesn't have mini displayport, probably because it is big enough for a full-size hdmi (the most scrub-tier display connector) port, it must not be catching on

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Nah it's probably because that still has a vga connector

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zen death robot posted:

nerds argiung about loving video ports, good poo poo

no! the port does other stuff too sometimes, if you spend a lot more money on hardware that won't work with anything else

geez, didn't you read the thread?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Christ you get mad about ports a lot

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
people just really like being mad about apple ports for some reason, it's pretty weird

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I dunno my extreme gaming laptop does have HDMI and usb-c.

I honestly think usb c in the future will be there all end all video audio and multi use port out there

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

akadajet posted:

i wonder how popular the macbook is compared to the rest of the macs. it seems pretty useless to me but idunno what others think.

they're a macbook air replacement, just the air will be phased out over a few years

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
the only thing I wish apple would improve is the gpu performance

they do have a nice base but no skylake or nvidia gpu makes even simple programs like google chrome freeze up due to flash

I used to rock final cut back in the day - with x they pretty much abandoned really any huge gpu benefit. even the high end trash can has a really bad FirePro in it :/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the irony being they created a gpgpu framework and then hamstrung all their products with comedy option graphics cards

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

theultimo posted:

simple programs like google chrome

lol

lol

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

the irony being they created a gpgpu framework and then hamstrung all their products with comedy option graphics cards

yeah the GPGPU APIs in os X are no joke

it's funny their metal is actually better then dx 12 and Vulkan, but no one will use it more then those

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

zen death robot posted:

nerds argiung about loving video ports, good poo poo

and not even poo poo that has relevance to their universe. that's the best part to me.

like, when did a thunderbolt cable sneak up a PC user's rear end and cause them inconvenience.

never.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
"oh poo poo i just bought this more expensive disk enclosure on accident for hundreds of dollars more off newegg without realizing and now it has a doggone thunderbolty ports - GUESS ILL NEED A DONGLE!!!"

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
thunderbolt on PC right now is huge in epgpu stuff

when all you have is a small light computer, adding gpu force through a TB breakout box is quite amazing, considering there isn't much performance loss

http://www.howtogeek.com/232144/what-is-an-egpu-and-why-should-i-want-one/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

i wonder how popular the macbook is compared to the rest of the macs. it seems pretty useless to me but idunno what others think.
my guess is its an early tech demo like the first (overpriced, useless) macbook air

in a couple of years an improved version of that will be the standard lowend machine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

theultimo posted:

thunderbolt on PC right now is huge in epgpu stuff

this niche product supported by no one, offered on a handful of products, by like two manufacturers is huge! the next big thing, i tell ya

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sniep posted:

like, when did a thunderbolt cable sneak up a PC user's rear end and cause them inconvenience.
text me

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Sniep posted:

and not even poo poo that has relevance to their universe. that's the best part to me.

never.

they're just grasping for anything they can use to claim a macbook is really no better than a $500 acer with convenient VGA port and windows home edition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can't join either to a domain

QED scrub

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

you can't join either to a domain

QED scrub

bdsm for workgroups

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
what does a domain even do for you nowadays other than kerb auth token and letting a cj who makes 1/3 your salary determine if you can right click

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

what does a domain even do for you nowadays other than kerb auth token and letting a cj who makes 1/3 your salary determine if you can right click

active directory is amazing and getting it to run on macs is a lesson in futility sometimes

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theultimo posted:

active directory is amazing and getting it to run on macs is a lesson in futility sometimes

what are you doing with ad that benefits an actual human adult in a real job

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

corporate policy? but i'm a special snowflake!
~*downloads app that leaks client data to china while encrypting everything for bitcoin ransom*~

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

what are you doing with ad that benefits an actual human adult in a real job

PKI association with PIV access from any machine on the active directory network

Centralized Exchange based on active directory usernames from PKI/PIV encryption certificates

Centralized Sharepoint based on etc

Easy access to disable and lock accounts if hijacked

Easy to backup and maintain personal user folders, which is server hosted

There is more, but Active Directory is really the one stop shop to provide a standardized login and platform.

it also works great with limiting access as to get a PIV you need to do this

PIV Card – You Must:
Have, at minimum, a completed and successful recording of adjudicated Special Agreement Check (SAC) with no issues within 120 days of issuance – which includes a name and 10 fingerprint check – and an initiated National Agency Check with Written Inquiries (NACI) or higher background investigation. In addition, your VA email account must be established or in the process of being established.
Be employed with VA more than 6 months or more than 180 aggregate days in a one year period.
Require access to VA facilities AND/OR information systems.

We have a block of macs that have to be basically whitelisted into the network and require a citrix remote login because mac and smart card certificates are terrible. These macs can only access citrix ip ranges.

theultimo fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 4, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tl;dr: poo poo exists to put a couple chest high walls between dunning-krugerrands and terrible ideas, that way when the audit rolls around to investigate a breach there's clear policy you violated to gleefully leap over those walls and run headlong into idiocy

it's an ISO thing

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
that all sounds like an awful place to do anything really

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, most adult jobs doing real work kinda suck

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
whatever you gotta tell yourself at night to claim SharePoint as a feature

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

better off sticking to burp and fart soundboards and social media meme aggregators

ahmeni posted:

i did no such thing

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

when you deal with millions of personal information, infernal machines put it best. it's an ISO thing. if our servers and laptops were leak magnets, you would have millions of records and ssns sold on the black market.

(which, by the way, DID happen in 2003 before we switched to a secure active directory setup)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

there are dumb computer people out there.

having sharepoint as a web link they can go to for any user guides or training manuals is a godsend, so when you ask someone "why are your performance numbers so low?" you can cya the training aspect and actually base it not on "I didn't get training", but "you hosed up, here is a plan to get back on track"

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
and if you think what's so hard about our software

here's a github for you

https://github.com/department-of-veterans-affairs

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
if your golden standard is "I'd like to cover my rear end when my employees are bad" then perhaps it's time to reevaluate some things

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
ohhh, that VA
the one globally used as a model about how not to do stuff

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

if your golden standard is "I'd like to cover my rear end when my employees are bad" then perhaps it's time to reevaluate some things

it's federal government unionized workers

sometime tells the stereotype is true, union protects both the highly skilled and also the shitbrains

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

ohhh, that VA
the one globally used as a model about how not to do stuff

va is so hosed up it's funny

I am in the office of finance, handling the debt transactions database. I use to be an on site service desk admin.

the va has a dozen main hubs, such as the veterans benefits administration, national cemeteries, and vet clinics.

when I worked in NSC, we had over 200 macs for healthcare as a test pilot with iPads as well for easy access to personal records via doctors.

2 months later the macs somehow updated to a new OS X version, the custom code used broke in amazing ways.

instead of fixing the issues and setting up a patch system, we just quietly cancelled the project due to "performance issues"

fun fact is that using the iPad's as dummy terminals would have saved a ton of money instead of investing in the current kiosk systems powered by Windows embedded.

and the pilot program cost the taxpayers 1 mil for deployment and testing for nothing to show for it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ahmeni posted:

ah yes the VA, well known for their competence in IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
efb