Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
weren't the Bligh and Newman governments chucked out because Qld voters don't like privatisation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comstar posted:

4 Corners has an expose about off shore tax havens tonight. I haven't seen any reference to anyone in Australia or the US mentioned yet. I would think it will impact the election, if any current politicians are mentioned.

Should there be some very worried people looking at their assets right now?

I for one, have full confidence in the regulators not doing anything.

There was a fair bit about it on ABC24 this morning, 11 million documents released, they were naming people from FIFA, South American druglords, Putin's relatives..

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) is investigating 800 Australian residents named in a massive leak of tax and financial records known as the Panama Papers.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/tax-office-investigating-800-australians-in-panama-papers-leak/7296512

e. also Jackie Chan?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/unprecedented-leak-of-offshore-financial-records-exposes-secrets/7293524

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 4, 2016

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
SMH reporting Kevin Andrews would challenge Turnbull.

I find that hard to believe in any multiverse, let alone this one.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

4 Corners has an expose about off shore tax havens tonight. I haven't seen any reference to anyone in Australia or the US mentioned yet. I would think it will impact the election, if any current politicians are mentioned.

Should there be some very worried people looking at their assets right now?

I for one, have full confidence in the regulators not doing anything.

Maybe they are saving the juicy Australian stuff for Four Corners tonight?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Maybe they are saving the juicy Australian stuff for Four Corners tonight?

I'd be shocked if a pollie or two isnt tied up in this.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MiniSune posted:

Bloody hell Turnbull has been pandering to the Lib Right like crazy and they still won't let up

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MiniSune posted:

:roflolmao:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Mr Chips posted:

weren't the Bligh and Newman governments chucked out because Qld voters don't like privatisation?

yeah, the newman gov also got done because qld voters like the reef and look what happened to that.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

MiniSune posted:

Yeah this reeks of bullshit. He has zero credibility in his own party - even with the hard Right - after his craven behaviour during the spill.

Only possibility is that he's aping Crean's challenge of Gillard, so that the real Right candidate can put their hand up to be considered when the party room meets. It gives their preferred candidate the fig leaf that they didn't directly challenge if it all goes sour.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

yeah, the newman gov also got done because qld voters like the reef and look what happened to that.

RIP the great barrier reef. Now we're just going to have a big dead reef stuck off Australia as a permanent testament to our assholishness.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Tirade posted:

Yeah this reeks of bullshit. He has zero credibility in his own party - even with the hard Right - after his craven behaviour during the spill.

Only possibility is that he's aping Crean's challenge of Gillard, so that the real Right candidate can put their hand up to be considered when the party room meets. It gives their preferred candidate the fig leaf that they didn't directly challenge if it all goes sour.

The Guardian is also reporting it, as well as the herald sun

quote:

He told News Corp Australia that he did not have a “burning ambition” to be leader, but would be prepared to put his hand up for the job “if circumstances arose”.

Andrews has had a tilt at the party leadership in the past, challenging Turnbull when he was opposition leader in 2009 over his proposed emissions trading scheme. That challenge was shot down 41 votes to 35.

Labor reacted to Andrews’ leadership announcement with surprise. Deputy opposition leader Tanya Plibersek told reporters she was unsure if the announcement was satire.

“I wasn’t sure whether it was a Chaser segment,” she said, referring to the ABC’s satirical comedy show.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

MiniSune posted:

Haven't seen a Crean in awhile, this should be fun.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Re: Carmichael: Queensland's Environment Minister, Dr Stephen Miles, has appeared to have deactivated his Facebook page.

Background: Dr Miles was Labor's big ticket environment campaigner and was run in one of Brisbane's most progressive seats, Mount Coot-tha. Mount Coot-tha has consistently high votes for the Greens, LNP candidates are usually from the pro-business side of town, and Labor hasn't done well historically in the area and recent candidate choices like Dr Miles (and Stephen Hegedus for the Federal Division of Ryan) . It's a bit like Melbourne: rich and well-educated. Dr Miles generally does not get given the "unpopular" decisions to announce, either in an attempt to maintain his environmental credentials, his genuine opposition to decisions, or because the Natural Resources and Mines Minister, Dr Anthony Lynham, is much easier for people to hate. Which is why, unsurprisingly, Dr Lynham was the one stuck with making this announcement this morning (and, you know, because mining leases is completely within his portfolio, but don't let facts get in the way of a good rubdown).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BHP! BHP! BHP!

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/04/bhp-owned-companies-triggered-high-risk-alert-at-panama-law-firm

quote:

The Anglo-Australian mining giant BHP Billiton authorised two of its companies in the British Virgin Islands to receive large amounts of money, sparking a “high risk” warning at the Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca, new documents reveal.

The documents disclose details of BHP’s structure, and show the corporate giant is linked to at least 19 companies registered in the BVI with the assistance of Mossack Fonseca.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is it illegal though?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

Is it illegal though?

Well when your law firm gives you a high risk warning I imagine probably.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hi we're the company thats supposed to hide your money trail. You're really, really worrying us.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Hilarious. I wonder how our UK masters at my place of employ and their big anti corruption stance will deal with their biggest customer potentially being bent.

Popcorn at the ready.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

About 90 asylum seeker children in Australia to be returned to Nauru, Peter Dutton confirms

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has confirmed dozens of children will be returned to Nauru, one day after announcing there were no children in mainland detention.

:cripes:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

What a totally unexpected thing!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well there won't be any children in mainland detention after they've been deported to nauru

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Here's a video from the same dudes where were crying about a guy getting punched yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/partyforfreedom.aust/videos/546230752213634/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Technically correct is the worst kind of correct!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's pretty lovely

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

MiniSune posted:

I'd be shocked if a pollie or two isnt tied up in this.

I'd like to know if Turnbull himself is tied up in this, cause he's definitely had some shifty asset problems in the past

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sakako posted:

I'd like to know if Turnbull himself is tied up in this, cause he's definitely had some shifty asset problems in the past

that would honestly be delicious

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I hope there's a torrent or something. I'm sure everyone and their dog who has jumped on the big data craze is just aching to try out their skills.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Recoome posted:

Here's a video from the same dudes where were crying about a guy getting punched yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/partyforfreedom.aust/videos/546230752213634/

must have a good point when the only person you can get on a video with you is your 15 year old nephew when you get him six beers deep

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If you can't have a laugh at neo-nazis trying to disrupt a cultural festival and being left bleeding then you're a fuckwit

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/716772373408718849

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you can't have a laugh at fighting violence with violence then you're a fuckwit

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/australian-company-wilson-linked-to-hong-kong-corruption-scandal/7291178

quote:

Leaked documents have revealed that two brothers embroiled in a massive Hong Kong corruption scandal were ultimately in control of an Australian security company that earned roughly half a billion dollars in lucrative government contracts.

Key points:

Billionaire Kwok brothers were charged with bribing a Hong Kong official in 2012
The brothers remained covert directors of company that ultimately controlled Wilson's Australian operations
Wilson holds contracts with some of Australia's most sensitive government departments

The two billionaire brothers, Thomas and Raymond Kwok, were charged with bribing a Hong Kong government official in July 2012 in a case that shook the Hong Kong establishment.

Soon after their arrest, the leaked documents, obtained by the ABC's Four Corners, show the brothers covertly remained directors of the offshore company that ultimately controls Wilson's operations in Australia — Wilson Offshore Group Holdings (BVI) Limited.

In a statement to the ABC, Wilson insisted the Kwok brothers were never directors of Wilson Security.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Sure, neo-nazis might be irredeemable morons, but violence against them does nothing to further the left's position. Also i find violence in general morally wrong.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

These Panama Papers are just gonna keep on giving, huh?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

Sure, neo-nazis might be irredeemable morons, but violence against them does nothing to further the left's position. Also i find violence in general morally wrong.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

As a counterpoint, gently caress fascists

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

Sometimes its best to talk to people in a language they understand.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Trotsky posted:

If you cannot convince a Fascist, acquaint his head with the pavement.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

I was there when he said that, and I still agree fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

quote:

Wilson Offshore Group Holdings (BVI) Limited was originally registered in 1991 under a different name, Covert Investments.

Thomas and Raymond Kwok, as well as their older brother Walter, were early directors of Covert Investments before it changed its name to Wilson Offshore Group Holdings (BVI) Limited in 2004.

Nothing loving suss here no sir we are liget businessmen

• Locked thread