Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Max-Planck-Institutes are great places for research. (They also have great food btw.) But a large part of the actual work is still done by armies of PhD students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Max-Planck-Institutes are great places for research. (They also have great food btw.) But a large part of the actual work is still done by armies of PhD students.

Yeah. It's mostly director > long term group leaders > PhD students. Germany is bad at providing enough mid-level jobs in academia.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

blowfish posted:

...and people who in America or the UK might go find work with a university BSc in chemistry might have a Fachhochschulabschluss-BSc or even be a Facharbeiter in Germany.

Yeah.

blowfish posted:

Yeah. It's mostly director > long term group leaders > PhD students. Germany is bad at providing enough mid-level jobs in academia.

All the people with PhDs in my company are basically saying the same: Staying at the university would have been nice, but gently caress trying to win the lottery of getting a permanent position there.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

All the people with PhDs in my company are basically saying the same: Staying at the university would have been nice, but gently caress trying to win the lottery of getting a permanent position there.
If you don't mind a modest salary, there's no reason you can't bounce between postdocs indefinitely.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ANIME AKBAR posted:

If you don't mind a modest salary,

Also no guarantee you won't have to use that modest salary to tide you over gaps between postdocs and moving all over the country (possibly abroad, on different continents) every 1-3 years

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ANIME AKBAR posted:

If you don't mind a modest salary, there's no reason you can't bounce between postdocs indefinitely.

I think you can only do this for a total of 6 years in Germany. Also having to move every couple years or so sucks.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also being a postdoc indefinitely is kind of like saying "I enjoy getting screwed indefinitely"

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah, it's not just a modest salary. It's having to pack up your lovely rental house every two years to go to another place you had no real choice in. "Come on kids, you'll love Idaho!"

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

There's a pretty hard limit after 5-6 years. Certainly at that point it becomes very difficult to obtain a permanent academic position, and no-one really wants to hire a 40 year old postdoc (especially not when there's a bunch of < 30 year old applicants without any family).

If the LHC doesn't turn up anything new over the next couple of years the funding agencies might lose patience and scale back high energy physics research. A bunch of newly jobless physics PhDs combined with the tech bubble bursting could really hit bay area salaries. Although there might not be that much demand for former academics with mediocre programming skills and a tenuous grasp of statistics.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

There's a pretty hard limit after 5-6 years. Certainly at that point it becomes very difficult to obtain a permanent academic position, and no-one really wants to hire a 40 year old postdoc (especially not when there's a bunch of < 30 year old applicants without any family).

If the LHC doesn't turn up anything new over the next couple of years the funding agencies might lose patience and scale back high energy physics research. A bunch of newly jobless physics PhDs combined with the tech bubble bursting could really hit bay area salaries. Although there might not be that much demand for former academics with mediocre programming skills and a tenuous grasp of statistics.

Didn't they recently start finding evidence of stuff beyond the standard model? If no, there's still glorious Chinar building new and bigger particle accelerators with underpaid workers on cheap land.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
To be fair to US grant funding agencies, the current policy problems they have are the result of 25 or so years of direct pressure from congress for all sorts of means and impact testing. Agencies are getting their research funding budgets cut, and their main defense to this has been to get researchers to demonstrate the (crazy, predetermined, rhetorically laden, economics-driven) impact of their research.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nocturtle posted:

A bunch of newly jobless physics PhDs combined with the tech bubble bursting could really hit bay area salaries.

The physics world can't be that big to matter for that.

Nocturtle posted:

Although there might not be that much demand for former academics with mediocre programming skills and a tenuous grasp of statistics.

Haha, if you listen to physicists describe their capabilities, you'll learn that actually, they are the best programmers, better than professional computer programmers, and also the best statisticians, better than people who actually study statistics. Although you should give them credit, they've got to be somewhat good at statistics because you kind of have to be to be able detect the extremely weak and esoteric effects that they spend their entire careers chasing after.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

silence_kit posted:

The physics world can't be that big to matter for that.

Not even a little bit.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Haha, if you listen to physicists describe their capabilities, you'll learn that actually, they are the best programmers, better than professional computer programmers, and also the best statisticians, better than people who actually study statistics. Although you should give them credit, they've got to be somewhat good at statistics because you kind of have to be to be able detect the extremely weak and esoteric effects that they spend their entire careers chasing after.

Particle physicists invented the internet with Al Gore, kicking off this whole unicorn-chasing tech bubble. The tech elite should remember this and show some respect.

For reference the largest LHC paper to date had >5000 authors, which was a combined analysis by the CMS and ATLAS collaborations. Supporting technical + computing divisions at CERN and other institutions probably employ a similar number of people. So yes, the HEP bubble bursting would probably unleash only O(10000) desperate academics on the tech + financial job markets.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
that's a lot of hep cats

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Emacs Headroom posted:

Yes, as I said, there is a cost to research, and not all of it bears fruit. We don't have time machines, so we don't know with absolute accuracy which projects will work or which labs will have the most useful results.

We have a stack of proposals, and say 20% of them will yield useful results and 1% will yield amazing results. We don't know which ones are which until we fund them to see. We can say "well let's stop funding stuff, because a lot of research is trash", or we can say "the only way we'll be able to get great results is to fund a lot of stuff that looks promising and accept the losses for the research that doesn't bear fruit, so let's do that".

I generally agree with this in principle (basic research has very clearly been shown to be cost-effective), but I don't believe for a second that the 20% and 1% are anywhere near as unknowable or unpredictable ahead of the fact as you present it here. I understand the (obvious) incentives in play here, but I also think there's a ton of room for optimization independent of whether overall funding levels go up, down, or remain the same.

silence_kit posted:

As a non-physicist with no skin in the game, I think that physicists are better suited for data science jobs than people from basically any other background. Software engineering jobs, not so much.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

I generally agree with this in principle (basic research has very clearly been shown to be cost-effective), but I don't believe for a second that the 20% and 1% are anywhere near as unknowable or unpredictable ahead of the fact as you present it here. I understand the (obvious) incentives in play here, but I also think there's a ton of room for optimization independent of whether overall funding levels go up, down, or remain the same.

This is just going from what program officers for the NIH are saying. A score of 98 and a score of 95 don't have any meaningful distinction, it's which reviewers got your grant or how tired they were when they saw it.

You could argue that with a lot more effort we could get some more consistency from those scores, and sure, maybe, but I'm pretty bear-ish on our ability to really predict how beneficial or fruitful research is actually going to be for those grants in the 90+ score range.

quote:

As a non-physicist with no skin in the game, I think that physicists are better suited for data science jobs than people from basically any other background. Software engineering jobs, not so much.

I agree; I like working with hard scientists like physicists and computational biologists as data scientists. I actually like working with data scientists with social science backgrounds too; I think social scientists and biologists are more in-tuned with the pitfalls of working in really messy areas, where physicists are trained to look for regularities they can exploit for solid theory.

But yeah the physicists I've worked with and liked tended to be a bit more on the modest side, and understood that writing massive simulations in their optimized MPI c-code means they're smart but doesn't mean they're prepared to architect or write scalable, resilient back-ends or something like that.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Spazzle posted:

It should be no suprise that we're selecting for researchers who are good at getting grants funded, not those who are necessary good at science.

Which, to tie it into the topic, is how VC funding works as well. Take a thousand startups and 900 of them fail. Of the hundred remaining, 90 do mediocre and get bought without a big markup, but 10 do extremely well. Anything those 10 CEOs dream up from now on is getting funded.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Emacs Headroom posted:

This is just going from what program officers for the NIH are saying. A score of 98 and a score of 95 don't have any meaningful distinction, it's which reviewers got your grant or how tired they were when they saw it.

You could argue that with a lot more effort we could get some more consistency from those scores, and sure, maybe, but I'm pretty bear-ish on our ability to really predict how beneficial or fruitful research is actually going to be for those grants in the 90+ score range.

Grant review is a horrible and arbitrary process- for most agencies it's not even blinded. A variety of political issues, again primarily stemming from congressional oversight, have rendered agencies afraid to change/improve things. There's a whole line of research I can do on the subject...after I get tenure. :sigh:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 3, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Writing fart apps is not engineering.

The guy writing control systems for aircraft can probably call himself an engineer. A node web developer calling himself an engineer is shameful.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Writing fart apps is not engineering.

The guy writing control systems for aircraft can probably call himself an engineer. A node web developer calling himself an engineer is shameful.

And writing apps that millions of people use every day with near 100% uptime is a lot more complex than what most real 'engineers' do. Or maintaining an online ML model that is constantly updating itself on thousands of features and millions or billions of data points every single day (or less).

Actual PEs are overwhelmingly doing mundane, insignificant things as well, credential or not. I guess the barriers to entry are slightly higher than your typical fart app creator, but that alone doesn't justify the degree of snobbery that you see from a lot of engineers around the engineer title.

For that matter, my whole post reads exactly the same if you replace 'software engineering' with 'software development', so I'm not sure why you decided to fixate on that.

e:

Citizen Tayne posted:

If they're an actual engineer and they hold a PE, you can assume that they're going to be thoroughly steeped in math to begin with.

But actually, since you brought it up, most engineers only know a very basic amount of math aside from possibly electrical engineers. Civil or mechanical engineers are not 'thoroughly steeped in math' by any means. A high-end CS degree has a lot more math in it than most engineering degrees, especially now that basically all of those grads are now taking one or more ML course. If your objection is that there are a lot of bootcamp grads in the field that don't know the first thing about discrete math or algorithms, then that's one thing, but CS as a field definitely has very strong roots in math and most high-quality programs still have a very significant math component.

I'm not sure where this weird fetishization of PEs is coming from, but (as someone with a math Ph.D who has taught and TAed at the university level) there is nothing particularly special about engineers relative to other STEM disciplines.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 3, 2016

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

blah_blah posted:

And writing apps that millions of people use every day with near 100% uptime is a lot more complex than what most real 'engineers' do.
Meh not when that uptime comes just by running thousands of instances in parallel and restarting ones that crash. Can't really run N versions of the same airline flight in parallel and call it a win if at least one makes it to the destination.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Paolomania posted:

Meh not when that uptime comes just by running thousands of instances in parallel and restarting ones that crash. Can't really run N versions of the same airline flight in parallel and call it a win if at least one makes it to the destination.

Building appropriate levels of redundancy into a product, and implementing it in such a way that it has a minimal effect on the end-user, is basically a classical problem in engineering?

Apr 7, 2003

blah_blah posted:

And writing apps that millions of people use every day with near 100% uptime is a lot more complex than what most real 'engineers' do. Or maintaining an online ML model that is constantly updating itself on thousands of features and millions or billions of data points every single day (or less).

Actual PEs are overwhelmingly doing mundane, insignificant things as well, credential or not. I guess the barriers to entry are slightly higher than your typical fart app creator, but that alone doesn't justify the degree of snobbery that you see from a lot of engineers around the engineer title.

For that matter, my whole post reads exactly the same if you replace 'software engineering' with 'software development', so I'm not sure why you decided to fixate on that.
fetishization of PEs is coming from, but (as someone with a math Ph.D who has taught and TAed at the university level) there is nothing particularly special about engineers relative to other STEM disciplines.

Call yourself a developer, then. "Engineer" is a legally-protected title in most places, and claiming to a title that you haven't earned is a shameful thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blah_blah posted:

And writing apps that millions of people use every day with near 100% uptime is a lot more complex than what most real 'engineers' do.

There are two factors to consider - the difficulty of accomplishing a task, and the consequences of failing the task.

Apr 7, 2003

Fart app fails: "Oh well, no fart noises for me"
Bridge fails: "oh god look at all these dead people"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

but what if the cops decide to warn people away from the broken bridge with his fart app???

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I have a hard time thinking of where this inter-disciplinary dick-waving contest fits, but I'm pretty sure it's not this thread.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Call yourself a developer, then. "Engineer" is a legally-protected title in most places, and claiming to a title that you haven't earned is a shameful thing.

I'm not either variety of engineer, as I've already stated (I'm a data scientist).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'most' places, as (for example) the US, Canada, and the UK all allow IT/tech workers to use the title 'software engineer' (or 'production engineer', 'sales engineer', 'systems engineer', etc) with few or zero restrictions. You can't call yourself a professional engineer or a mechanical engineer or whatever, but that's a separate issue.

computer parts posted:

There are two factors to consider - the difficulty of accomplishing a task, and the consequences of failing the task.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Fart app fails: "Oh well, no fart noises for me"
Bridge fails: "oh god look at all these dead people"

Yes, and there are professional engineers who work on (say) consumer electronics or other products that are far from life-or-death. Conversely there are absolutely people who work on software products that can have life-or-death consequences as well.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have a hard time thinking of where this inter-disciplinary dick-waving contest fits, but I'm pretty sure it's not this thread.

I mean, it's some guy who is Really Angry that I used the incredibly standard term 'software engineering' instead of its synonym, 'software development', when the sentence reads exactly the same with either choice of wording.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blah_blah posted:

I mean, it's some guy who is Really Angry that I used the incredibly standard term 'software engineering' instead of its synonym, 'software development', when the sentence reads exactly the same with either choice of wording.

blah_blah posted:

(I'm a data scientist).

this just gets better and better

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this just gets better and better

blah_blah doesn't spend all day in YOSPOS, but my impression is that he does know what he's doing. I think he's involved in developing new models and algorithms and making them into actual production code, not just vomiting out BI reports.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Emacs Headroom posted:

blah_blah doesn't spend all day in YOSPOS, but my impression is that he does know what he's doing.

lol, President Obama doesn't spend all day in Debate & Discussion, but my impression is that he knows what he's doing

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Citizen Tayne posted:

Lots of engineers are not PEs, I'm an Electrical Engineer and I know a lot of other engineers and none of us are PEs. I'd only have to get it if I were going to work in the power distribution field or something. I agree that the whole PE fetishization thing is stupid, whether or not you're a PE is mostly dependent on what field or subfield you're in.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 4, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
A little googling suggests that the title"Software Engineer" is not as regulated as the other categories- there's evidence of a couple states where it's protected, but generally not.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
The idea that a fart app can't be engineered because its a fart app is obviously stupid. Engineering is a discipline, not a specific medium, and clearly applies to a range of things including many stupid startup ideas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Let's have a semantic argument guys.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Holy poo poo none of this has anything to do with unicorns.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

uberr, an app that lets you hire programmers to make an uber knockoff for you on demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

corn in the bible posted:

uberr, an app that lets you hire programmers to make an uber knockoff for you on demand
https://gigster.com/