Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
This game really needs a map.

Okay goons I might have screwed myself. I dunno what the standard way of getting to Hagers is, but I got in via the Red Hall. I did have some keys but not all. There is a door by the annoying skeleporters with swords (one has a cudgel). I don't have the key to that door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

NT Plus posted:

I feel like I've turned this place upside down and havent found the boss though. Sorry I suck at these metroidvanias.

To be fair to you, Hagers cavern is easily the worst area in this game. It took me ages to find the loving boss even with a wiki. Of course it doesn't help that the wiki generally gives directions like this: go to the middle bit then up and left.

edit: That is the normal way of getting there. While it is theoretically possible to screw yourself completely (floating castle, drop down to the shrine on the far right witout unlocking it normally first, have no teleport items: you're done. No way to get back) this is not what happened in this case.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 2, 2016

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

NT Plus posted:

Okay goons I might have screwed myself. I dunno what the standard way of getting to Hagers is, but I got in via the Red Hall. I did have some keys but not all. There is a door by the annoying skeleporters with swords (one has a cudgel). I don't have the key to that door.

If I remember correctly, that's the door to the Mire. You shouldn't have to go through any doors to reach the boss of Hager's Cavern.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Dude guys. loving hidden-rear end vertigo statue. I remember activating this a long time ago and getting killed. I'm probs overleveled as Hell for Mr. Stench.

E: Or huskman can just destroy me thats cool too.

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 2, 2016

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

NT Plus posted:

There are two locked doors in the cavern and both keys are obtained by progressing through the area. Explore more - or leave and go to a less frustrating area and level up some.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Cerepol posted:

So does the Stone Mage just not stock spells until I rank up my creed?

They don't stock spells you already have. So if you started as a mage, maybe not!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Any tips for someone starting out? I've beaten the Queen of Smiles and got to the Alchemist but it really feels like I'm missing something.

Learn to dodge through enemies by rubbing your face on them and then rolling. Unless you use a shield, you will fight pretty much every non-flying boss this way.

Do not invest in bows as they are bad. Most people report daggers are also bad. Pistols however are very good. The great- weapons are all overpowered.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo you guys just made me realize I beat the game without ever getting the brand for the red walls.

gently caress!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't think that was even possible without speedrun skips.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you get the Dart brand and enter Pitchwoods from the top you skip the Redshift brand and most of the Ruined Temple.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Hall of Red Cages, Hagar's Cavern, Mire of Stench, and Ruined Temple are completely optional if you go through pitchwoods with the dart brand. There's no red walls in end game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Skeleton King posted:

This game sounds like something I would like, but god drat the art style is hideous to me. Backgrounds are fine, even though they look odd to me I could get over it. The characters however look like something out of a lovely webcomic. It really bothers me.

Its too bad, since I would love a 2D souls game, but I can't enjoy something if it looks ugly to me.

If it helps, the game looks much better in motion, character art as well. There are very few characters besides your own that you have to look at for very long and the environmental art is quite nice, particularly I like the boss designs. I'd say that you should watch some videos of it online. I've put up a few on my Youtube channel, which can give you an idea of what the game looks like. My combat primer video has some later-game areas visible in it for comparison as well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I didn't hate the art but it stuck out to me. Inside of an hour you don't notice it anymore and you just kind of enjoy being there...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like the art, ya'll.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Pitchwoods in general and that hellish platforming section in particular are all optional. The path to the boss in the Pitchwoods is almost entirely flat (though it has some nasty enemies on the way) and the only thing waiting at the end of that Megaman gauntlet is a Creed.

Is that creed the "secret" one?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wouldn't call it secret although it is the hardest one to reach, besides the one you're probably talking about. You wanted some megaman platforming in your castlevania? No? well here you go man.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Digirat posted:

I wouldn't call it secret although it is the hardest one to reach, besides the one you're probably talking about. You wanted some megaman platforming in your castlevania? No? well here you go man.

I lost tens of thousands of gold to the attempt, and it wasn't even with a magic using character lol

I know gold is virtually worthless in the game but still, it was the principle of losing so much of a resource to really, really lame platforming.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I beat the first boss and an NPC told me to go back to where I started. Found the Village of Smiles but this Bronze Knight is destroying my poo poo and taking more damage than the actual first boss. I'm guessing he's like a Black Knight, but it's there some trick to bypassing him, because he's chasing me clear across the town and it's getting tiresome.

I also think I might have made a dumb choice going with the Hunter, but dammit I wanna look like Indy/Belmont! Should I bother upgrading this whip? It's really underwhelming.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

So I beat the first boss and an NPC told me to go back to where I started. Found the Village of Smiles but this Bronze Knight is destroying my poo poo and taking more damage than the actual first boss. I'm guessing he's like a Black Knight, but it's there some trick to bypassing him, because he's chasing me clear across the town and it's getting tiresome.

I also think I might have made a dumb choice going with the Hunter, but dammit I wanna look like Indy/Belmont! Should I bother upgrading this whip? It's really underwhelming.

Parry and riposte works well on the Bronze Knights (note the whip can't riposte though, look for a O prompt over a staggered foe). The ones in the village don't respawn, so feel free to buy stuff from a merchant and use them to get the kill.

Whips have their uses, and you can buy most upgrade materials at various points in the game, but I'd suggest having an alternate weapon too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Trick the knight into walking into the swinging log trap. It won't kill him but it will do a buttload of damage and I think put him in the downed state so you can run up and finish him off.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

NotAnArtist posted:

I lost tens of thousands of gold to the attempt, and it wasn't even with a magic using character lol

I know gold is virtually worthless in the game but still, it was the principle of losing so much of a resource to really, really lame platforming.

I made it all the way up there to them, and then accidentally used one of those defilement papers and wasn't paying attention. I will never plat this game and that's fine to me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How much easier is it to parry with a buckler or something than with a regular shield? Parrying seems pretty easy already, is it really worth using a weaker shield to have an easier parry?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Parry with a pistol :clint:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does that actually work or are you just making a Bloodborne joke?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

Does that actually work or are you just making a Bloodborne joke?

You can parry with pistols and crossbows.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where can you find Forgotten Lockets?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can't remember

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you able to parry big enemies, like the first boss?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No, I haven't found one yet, which bums me out since I'm really good at parrying.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I'm in the Sunken Keep now. Killed the Jester and the Queen of Smiles on the first try... starting to live the whip, mainly because it hits all around you and you can flat in the air to hover with it. Damage is meh, hope to find a better one soon. Using the soldier spear as my backup.

This game is great. Started dabbling in prayers, but not liking how they murder your stamina bar. It's there any way to respec? The Tree seems to indicate you can remove skills.

Also should I bother changing Creeds? Still following the Three, wondering if I switch and drop a Leader I might get some different quests... Having a permanent lightning buff is awesome, I'm kinda in love with this game's system.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
When you find/summon an alchemist, transmute that whip to keep its damage up.

Grey pearls can be found in chests and such, and can be spent to undo a skill choice. Skills that needed multiple black pearls will require an equal number of grey pearls, so respeccing is kinda limited.

Creeds don't matter all that much, with a few exceptions (like being able to purchase rank 0 greatswords in the Iron one, or getting access to some nice magic in the hot topic one). If you've already done quests for the Three, I'd stick with them unless you know you need something another creed provides.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Is there anything another Creed would offer me? Trying to go in cold, playing as a Belmont - whips and spears, prayers, and light armor. Small shield, just because.

I killed the Cyclops and am trying to figure out where his key goes... I have the flipping upside skill, it's there something else I should have had by now?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzz posted:

Is there anything another Creed would offer me? Trying to go in cold, playing as a Belmont - whips and spears, prayers, and light armor. Small shield, just because.

I killed the Cyclops and am trying to figure out where his key goes... I have the flipping upside skill, it's there something else I should have had by now?

If you remember Bandit's Pass, there was a bridge you could not cross, where you may have met the old man again. It's to the right of that Sanctuary, right after where you met that knight. Alternatively, keep exploring the area you're in, I believe there's a path to the same location in that zone. Other creeds offer special bonuses, but you may want to check the wikis for the most up-to-date info, and that'd spoil you.

For a Belmont, either Davara or the Mountainsmiths would be appropriate. There are other Creeds that you may be interested in later one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm in the Red Cage area now. Found a Tachi, on a whim tried using it... holy poo poo, even upgraded it's better than my level 4 Martial Flail, what the gently caress. Leveled it up to 4 and I am MURDERING everything in sight. Red Lord? Parry x2, dead. Split Swordsmen? Parry, then slash an extra time. Holy poo poo whips are terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fuzz posted:

This game is great. Started dabbling in prayers, but not liking how they murder your stamina bar. It's there any way to respec? The Tree seems to indicate you can remove skills.

There are rings you can find that ameliorate the stamina drain. Like one that just makes everything cost less and another that locks the bar so you can't go below a third.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fuzz posted:

I'm in the Red Cage area now. Found a Tachi, on a whim tried using it... holy poo poo, even upgraded it's better than my level 4 Martial Flail, what the gently caress. Leveled it up to 4 and I am MURDERING everything in sight. Red Lord? Parry x2, dead. Split Swordsmen? Parry, then slash an extra time. Holy poo poo whips are terrible.

I fully upgraded that tachi and used it for the rest of the game, it's pretty great.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Hm. So I'm not sure where to go now. I just beat Mal's Castle because I remembered "Oh yeah I have hard light and there's some spooky light platforms in the desert!" :v: But regardless, I'm pretty lost. I finished literally every zone I happened upon in a normal playthrough.

What I hate about these games is that, with how dark everything is, it's awfully too easy to miss little doors and such. So I'm almost 100% there's something I overlooked in one of the dungeons. I guess I could try exploring the Ziggurat more? I see a few people excluding that place from optional content.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NT Plus posted:

Hm. So I'm not sure where to go now. I just beat Mal's Castle because I remembered "Oh yeah I have hard light and there's some spooky light platforms in the desert!" :v: But regardless, I'm pretty lost. I finished literally every zone I happened upon in a normal playthrough.

What I hate about these games is that, with how dark everything is, it's awfully too easy to miss little doors and such. So I'm almost 100% there's something I overlooked in one of the dungeons. I guess I could try exploring the Ziggurat more? I see a few people excluding that place from optional content.

You want to be heading downwards, primarily. There's a route you can take in the...I forget what it's called, the Sunken Ruins or something, the one that bridges all of the late-game areas underneath. You ultimately want to make your way down to the bottom of that area.

Say, weren't there some light platforms in the northeast part of the Red Hall of Cages? I think there's something there, you may want to go see if you can find any secrets.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You want to be heading downwards, primarily. There's a route you can take in the...I forget what it's called, the Sunken Ruins or something, the one that bridges all of the late-game areas underneath. You ultimately want to make your way down to the bottom of that area.

Say, weren't there some light platforms in the northeast part of the Red Hall of Cages? I think there's something there, you may want to go see if you can find any secrets.

I appreciate the advice. I'll go down into the Zig to check out what you mean when I get home.

Also Tachi Chat -- I can verify that the Tachi is an amazingly good weapon for people who went halfway into the dexterity side of the sphere grid enough to use the Stella set, then decided to use sword 'n' gun. Hopefully end-game won't render my +6 Tachi useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I am sword and shield, I just want to use it as my interim until I can make that Flint and Steel gun since I rarely use Triangle for anything other than drop attacks and who doesn't want a sword that's also a gun?

I also have an option to transmute something called a Phoenix Tail with what appears to be endgame poo poo. I am curious what the hell it is since it says Swordwhip which has me really hoping it's like a crazy Threaded Cane and Triangle is a whip attack or something. That would be cool as hell.

As it stands, I'm saving up Gray Pearls to unspec all the dots I used to get Prayers level 2 because I pretty much never use them and Bless Weapon doesn't make it worth it. Going to go for the Souls style Quality build with more focus on Dex, since that's been working really well overall.

Good thing you only need Level 2 Shields if all you want is parry and the occasional 100% resists!

• Locked thread