Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Are there any decent Light Flow alternatives? I just got an S7 and the app is barely usable now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Link bubble has been all but unusable since they rebranded themselves to Brave. I thought it was growing pains, and hoped the bugs would work themselves out -- updates seemed to come regularly. But now this:

slashdot posted:

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/04/02/2021249/mozilla-co-founders-ad-blocking-brave-browser-will-pay-you-bitcoin-to-see-ads

An anonymous reader posted:

Brave, a new privacy and speed focused web browser for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android, backed by Mozilla co-founder Brendan Eich, will pay its users in bitcoin to watch ads. From a PCWorld article, 'Under this plan, advertisers pay for a certain number of impressions, and Brave aggregates those payments into one sum. Websites that participate in the scheme get 55 percent of the money, weighted by how many impressions are served on their sites. For both users and publishers, Brave deposits the money into individual bitcoin wallets, and both parties must verify their identity to claim the funds. This requires an email and phone number for users, and more stringent identification steps for publishers. Users who don't verify will automatically donate their share of the funds back to the sites they visit most.'
It appears Brave's strategy hinges on, among other things, collecting your browsing data to display relevant ads. The aforementioned article also says that users will have an option to block all ads by paying a monthly subscription to Brave. Not sure how many people would want to buy that.

I have never uninstalled an app faster. Are there useful alternatives to the "floating browser that gets out of the way when done" model?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Flynx does the same exact thing but better.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Huh, I just checked back in with how VLC for Android was doing and it's pretty sharp. I can't see any reason to use MX Player anymore. VLC's widget is really tepid, though, which dissauds me from dropping Poweramp. Kind of surprised, considering the strong theming support the desktop program has.

Anyway, a question: is there a mediation app that will track the last music player I was using and relay a "headphone insertion" signal to it? I like my music turning on the moment I plug in, but I listen to both internet radio and my own music, and though VLC could handle them both, it's more satisfactory to handle them with separate apps.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Skeezy posted:

Flynx does the same exact thing but better.

Alright, test driving this now. Looking good so far, thanks!

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I switched to Chromer, which opens links in a temporary in-app Chrome tab. Not quite as nice as a floating badge, but the browser is better IMO.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Chromer is so good. Don't know what I did without it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I also like Fliktu but going to try out Chromer

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

hey santa baby posted:

Link bubble has been all but unusable since they rebranded themselves to Brave. I thought it was growing pains, and hoped the bugs would work themselves out -- updates seemed to come regularly. But now this:

It appears Brave's strategy hinges on, among other things, collecting your browsing data to display relevant ads. The aforementioned article also says that users will have an option to block all ads by paying a monthly subscription to Brave. Not sure how many people would want to buy that.

I have never uninstalled an app faster. Are there useful alternatives to the "floating browser that gets out of the way when done" model?
[/quote]

I was hoping that was an April fool's joke. :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm so annoyed by the Brave thing. I paid for Link Bubble, let me keep using it. It was almost perfect before getting acquired by Brave.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

gmq posted:

I'm so annoyed by the Brave thing. I paid for Link Bubble, let me keep using it. It was almost perfect before getting acquired by Brave.

I feel the same way, but it's just an emotional reaction, so eh. They probably saw other devs doing the floating browser thing and looked for a way to distinguish themselves. Good thing there's choice!

Liking flynx so far, but will try out chromer too.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you might say they confused bravery with stupidity :mrgw:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So, I have a One Plus One with stock OS and stock camera AFAIK, and a lot of the time when I'm in the camera app, and press the button, it just won't take a pictures. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it won't, and it seems to be entirely random. Anyone have a clue why this might be happening?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Dancer posted:

Anyone have a clue why this might be happening?

Dancer posted:

So, I have a One Plus One

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Hey man, it was cheap, I'm very happy with my hardware, and it's been working great for 15 months now, and this is basically the first major software glitch I'm experiencing. I'm also assuming that this bug is related to the camera app, which I would guess is not unique to the OPO (from what limited knowledge I have of Android things).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm looking for a free or one-time purchase SMS/MMS app. I want to essentially mirror the functionality of iMessage in that I can be texting from my phone, boot up my PC and text from that, and text from my Mac too and the conversations are essentially seamless.

I text a lot (like hundreds a day) and see that things cost subscriptions and have arbitrary monthly message limits?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I'm looking for a free or one-time purchase SMS/MMS app. I want to essentially mirror the functionality of iMessage in that I can be texting from my phone, boot up my PC and text from that, and text from my Mac too and the conversations are essentially seamless.

I text a lot (like hundreds a day) and see that things cost subscriptions and have arbitrary monthly message limits?

Join with Chrome extension.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Cortana to mirror Android notifications on Windows 10 PCs. I was wondering how long this would take.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-windows-10-anniversary-update-can-mirror-android-notifications/

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Anyone have any idea why me deleting Google Play Chrome extension from my laptop would cause Pushbullet to send "chrome.exe" to my phone?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uthor posted:

Cortana to mirror Android notifications on Windows 10 PCs. I was wondering how long this would take.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-windows-10-anniversary-update-can-mirror-android-notifications/

This sounds awesome. Looking forward to it.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does anyone have a working link for a download to all the webOS notification sounds? I used to be able to just Google and download one but looks like they all disappeared.

Lblitzer posted:

Oh man, I would love these too. It's been years since I've used Zedge, were they on there?

Enjoy :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc984erh74clxri/palmpre.zip?dl=0

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hey santa baby posted:

I'm not convinced they'll actually go through with it. It's just such so obviously a quarter-baked scheme that'll kill their user base.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

bunky posted:

Are there any decent Light Flow alternatives? I just got an S7 and the app is barely usable now.

Out of curiosity, what's the issue you're having? I gave up on LightFlow on my Note 5 running Lollipop because the only way to make to make it work was to enable the "Samsung workaround", which ended up breaking a lot of other things.

Since Marshmallow, I've been able to disable that workaround and it works right about 70% of the time (the other 30% I still just get a generic flashing blue LED). But it doesn't break anything, and without it I get the flashing blue LED 100% of the time, so I just go with it...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Uthor posted:

Well hello. When is this supposed to drop?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

When Redstone does, so sometime in July?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not bad, it's refreshing to see Windows doing cool things for android users and not stubbornly clinging to Windows Phones.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

brc64 posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the issue you're having? I gave up on LightFlow on my Note 5 running Lollipop because the only way to make to make it work was to enable the "Samsung workaround", which ended up breaking a lot of other things.

Since Marshmallow, I've been able to disable that workaround and it works right about 70% of the time (the other 30% I still just get a generic flashing blue LED). But it doesn't break anything, and without it I get the flashing blue LED 100% of the time, so I just go with it...

Basically the same. I was using the workaround and getting the dumb blue LED may of the time. Sometimes notification sounds would play partially. I just uninstalled it and set up in-app notifications.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's a good weather app, preferably one with radar? I was using the Weather Underground app but the notification frequently stops updating for long periods of time

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

flatluigi posted:

What's a good weather app, preferably one with radar? I was using the Weather Underground app but the notification frequently stops updating for long periods of time

I've been using Weather Timeline for about a year and I love it. I don't use its radar feature much but I did just fire it up and it seems radary enough I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

I've been using Weather Timeline for about a year and I love it. I don't use its radar feature much but I did just fire it up and it seems radary enough I guess.

Seconding this. My second choice would be Arcus.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Quick, someone ask about a podcast app

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Anyone have a recommendation for rss feeds?

I just want it to periodically check feeds and send me notifications when one updates. Anything beyond that is useless to me.

Or maybe point me to a service that pushes out emails when a feed updates.

Thank you nerds for doing the needful and please advised.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
If you want a good radar I'd recommend just buying Radarscope. It won't tell you temps or wind speeds but it's a fantastic radar program.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jeesis posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for rss feeds?

I just want it to periodically check feeds and send me notifications when one updates. Anything beyond that is useless to me.

Or maybe point me to a service that pushes out emails when a feed updates.

Thank you nerds for doing the needful and please advised.

I think you want gReader.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

LastInLine posted:

I think you want gReader.

Thank you, that seems to be exactly what I need

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

If you want a good radar I'd recommend just buying Radarscope. It won't tell you temps or wind speeds but it's a fantastic radar program.

:10bux: for a radar app? :homebrew:

1Weather is excellent and has a good radar.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

AnimalChin posted:

If you don't have a million survey bucks with nothing to spend them on you're not androiding right

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

AnimalChin posted:

Radarscope is a different type of radar app. It loads the raw data from the radars and associated products and renders those directly. If you don't understand why you'd want to look at velocity data across different tilts then you're not getting the most out of it.

That being said, I think it is totally worth the ten survey bucks I spent on it and the ten bucks a year I spend on pro. Tornado warning? Not getting out of bed, radar shows the most likely place on the other side of the highway moving away.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I guess I'm a huge weirdo, because I just glance at Google Now in the morning and that gets me through the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

XIII posted:

I guess I'm a huge weirdo, because I just glance at Google Now in the morning and that gets me through the day.

Depends on where you live I guess? I never look at radar anything because it always just looks like this:

Oh no weather today, great. :geno: