Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Unicorns are out, cockroaches are in

http://uk.businessinsider.com/cockroach-tech-startups-unicorns-venture-capital-2016-4

quote:

Last year was the year of the "unicorn" — private technology-driven startups that reached a valuation of $1 billion or more.

But tech and startup investment is going to be defined by a very different beast in 2016 — the cockroach.

"Everything is about resiliency now to weather the storm," says Tim McSweeney, a director at technology-focused merchant bank Restoration Partners. "Unicorn, it's a mythical beast, whereas a cockroach, it can survive a nuclear war."

A unicorn is characterised by superfast growth, fuelled by VC money. They're not profitable but the idea is that the business will reach "scale" first, before concentrating on making money once it's won plenty of market share. Uber is a prime example.

Startups that joined the unicorn club last year include TransferWise, Lyft,Zenefits, SoFi, Hellofresh, Prosper, Oscar, and Farfetch, according to venture-capital-data tracker CB Insights. There were many more.

A cockroach, by contrast, is a business that builds slowly and steadily from the get-go, keeping a close eye on revenues and profits. Spending is kept in check so that it can weather any funding storm.

"For the investment side, it's minimizing the risk. Let's find a company that can survive a nuclear war and then come back to fight another day or pivot and do something different — it has the right team, the right customer base etc.," McSweeney said.

Sounds like a great space for some creative accounting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Party Boat posted:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/cockroach-tech-startups-unicorns-venture-capital-2016-4

Eh, cockroaches aren't sexy. It sounds like bears shining up their blue chips again. As long as shareholder value is the thing, they will try something else to milk.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Huh, looks like I'm working for a cockroach then.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I work for a cockroach. I call it a "real business".

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Party Boat posted:

Sounds like the perfect description of a company that won't go anywhere because it's afraid to spend money on anything.

I've worked with some "cockroaches". CEOs got burnt in the past, playing it hyper-safe. Their general fate is to amount to nothing and slowly fizzle out due to never doing anything that interests anyone.

It's a terrible business model because it's a kneejerk rejection of everything that makes a unicorn.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Huh, looks like I'm working for a cockroach then.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I work for a cockroach. I call it a "real business".

I doubt it. What they're describing isn't a business, it's a tarpit for VC money. It doesn't go away fast like a unicorn, but it still slowly goes down the drain.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

asdf32 posted:

The idea that a fart app can't be engineered because its a fart app is obviously stupid. Engineering is a discipline, not a specific medium, and clearly applies to a range of things including many stupid startup ideas.

Here's what texas thought of that idea last time silicon valley tried to float it there back at the tail end of the last bubble

quote:

Rigsbee said the high-tech problem mostly involves computer programmers whom the industry likes to call computer engineers.

Rigsbee said the industry holds out its products as having been "engineered." And he said there is a belief that the computer companies are in a better position to win contracts if they can say they have 150 engineers on staff instead of 150 programmers.

"What we have a problem with is a graduate of a two-year computer programming school or some technicians ... holding themselves out as engineers when they clearly are not," Rigsbee said.

The computer industry had been happy to function under an exemption in state law that allowed a company to call in-house personnel whatever it wanted to so long as the engineering title was not held out to the public.

yes yes you can use the verb "engineer" to mean many things

but real engineers perform work designing the built world that directly impacts public safety which confers actual professional liability - this is a legal definition btw

see also software development's adoption of the term "architect"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I just don't understand people who claim software can't "directly impacts public safety".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm a sanitation engineer

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The Real Foogla posted:

I just don't understand people who claim software can't "directly impacts public safety".

more that software "engineers" are wholly untrained and unprepared for such responsibility

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Software developers could theoretically have the same standards as real engineers, but they don't. The tech industry is a singularity of priviliged wealthy white manchildren, without even a shred of the public duty or discipline associated with traditional engineering fields. OG engineers were part of the army for fucks sake, remember? Can you imagine the average 26 year old tech bro working at a Silicon Valley startup in the army?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 4, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Harik posted:

I doubt it. What they're describing isn't a business, it's a tarpit for VC money. It doesn't go away fast like a unicorn, but it still slowly goes down the drain.
I've got this great idea for novelty doormats. Our flagship model would be "Jump to conclusions" with different "conclusions" on the mat!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Software developers could theoretically have the same standards as real engineers, but they don't. The tech industry is a singularity of priviliged wealthy white manchildren, without even a shred of the public duty or discipline associated with traditional engineering fields. OG engineers were part of the army for fucks sake, remember? Can you imagine the average 26 year old tech bro working at a Silicon Valley startup in the army?

Not sure why being in the army should be a yard stick for public duty considering the war crimes American soldiers and engineers commit but OK. Maybe drone operators?
And I don't think I can imagine the average 26 yo in the army.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You know what we need? An app where people can vote on their favorite term for a person who specializes in the development of software. The first vote is free, but each subsequent vote requires a micro-transaction. This way the market can decide whose right! The idea can is an incredibly sound and versatile way to generate profit. No one else is doing it, and it can be applied to other linguistic debates.

I'll just need a 75k kickstarter and another 1.5 million in venture capital.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

RandomPauI posted:

You know what we need? An app where people can vote on their favorite term for a person who specializes in the development of software. The first vote is free, but each subsequent vote requires a micro-transaction. This way the market can decide whose right! The idea can is an incredibly sound and versatile way to generate profit. No one else is doing it, and it can be applied to other linguistic debates.

I'll just need a 75k kickstarter and another 1.5 million in venture capital.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You know something, "The idea can" was a proofreading error, but that sounds like a great name for the app. "The Idea Can". And it makes deciding on a logo much easier.

Edit: I just checked and that isn't trademarked. The Idea Can can be registered for a scant $150.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 4, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

RandomPauI posted:

The Idea Can can be registered for a scant $150.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Josh Lyman posted:

I've got this great idea for novelty doormats. Our flagship model would be "Jump to conclusions" with different "conclusions" on the mat!

Hardie har har har.

If you can't read between the lines of what a financial firm is trying to sell, you're gonna get ripped off. Yeah, there may be some slow-growth companies out there that are worth investing in, but they're not being given the nickname "cockroach". There's some great warning signs there too - "ability to pivot" is a jazzed-up way of saying "has no focus or long-term strategy". "Weather nuclear winter" means "we're dumping everything, expecting another financial meltdown shortly."

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Here's what texas thought of that idea last time silicon valley tried to float it there back at the tail end of the last bubble

yes yes you can use the verb "engineer" to mean many things

but real engineers perform work designing the built world that directly impacts public safety which confers actual professional liability - this is a legal definition btw

see also software development's adoption of the term "architect"

The US doesn't try to certify all engineers so it's criteria isn't really relevant. It probably should. But it doesn't.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
If we're going to start holding every engineer up to the same certification and vetting standards as the people whose job it is to make sure the chemical plant doesn't explode, then I'd rather we start with "FinTech" or something more likely to actually harm people than a fart app...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Emacs Headroom posted:

If we're going to start holding every engineer up to the same certification and vetting standards as the people whose job it is to make sure the chemical plant doesn't explode, then I'd rather we start with "FinTech" or something more likely to actually harm people than a fart app...

You're operating under the mistaken assumption that programmers are engineers. They aren't.

Programmers calling themselves engineers is an attempt to co-opt the cachet of someone else's title. No more, no less.

Apr 7, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Lots of engineers are not PEs, I'm an Electrical Engineer and I know a lot of other engineers and none of us are PEs. I'd only have to get it if I were going to work in the power distribution field or something. I agree that the whole PE fetishization thing is stupid, whether or not you're a PE is mostly dependent on what field or subfield you're in.

You're talking about the industrial exemption, which will hopefully go away if abused enough.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol at the devs itt melting down about the term engineer. Developers aren't engineers. Code monkey or janitor comes to mind

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I wouldn't say all software jockeys aren't engineers. I've worked alongside software engineers who've developed the code for embedded systems as part of multidiscipline teams. That's definitely closer to engineering than writing a fart app.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Lol at the devs itt melting down about the term engineer. Developers aren't engineers. Code monkey or janitor comes to mind

:yeah:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How many disciplines have some sort of legal requirement in order to call yourself an [X]. Engineer, lawyer, Doctor?

I'm fairly certain there is no such oversight oversight for fields like chemistry and physics and anybody could call themselves a chemist or physicist if they wanted to. No PE or Bar equivalent for them.

Apr 7, 2003

Here's a really cool article about how fart app "tech" firms that hire "engineers" are going to get in trouble for applying the same creative words they apply to their employee positions, to their financial situation. I can't wait for prison terms to come down.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-18/sec-goes-unicorn-hunting-regulator-scrutinize-how-funds-value-tech-startups

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Y'know, this always annoyed me too. I had to branch out from computer science in university because I always understood that software carries a very weighty social context, yet the curriculum seemed completely averse to even considering the idea. We had only one cyber-ethics course offered, but because it lacked any programming or mathematical component, actual computer science students were barred from taking it. ("Bird course," they'd say.) I had to jump between various courses in the liberal arts just to pick up the pieces, and while there are some improvements like surveillance studies gaining traction, all of it still seems to be happening outside of the labs. ... and considering they're part of the humanities now, you can imagine how little sway they're getting.

In Canada, engineering schools have a ring bareing ceremony where new university graduates take an engineering equivalent of the Hippocratic Oath. It's a thing born out of 100 years of tradition. Sadly, because computer science is still relatively new, they're still acting like it's the lawless frontier they're departing to. I don't see that changing at this rate, as much as I might wish otherwise.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 4, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

please, i'm a code esquire you pleb

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

I'm not totally opposed to the title of "Software Engineer" although it's hard to define what exactly that is, but programmers calling themselves "Computer Engineers" is just dumb. Computer Engineering is an actual thing you can major in and it's basically EE with some supplementary CS classes added in, aiming to give you a full understanding of computers systems and how they work. Your typical Computer Engineer works on things like embedded systems or writing firmware where you typically need more than just high level knowledge of how to write software.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

shrike82 posted:

While we're at it lets rename surgeons and doctors to body mechanics

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Why is it so hard to use the standard bullshit title "expert" anyway?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

Why is it so hard to use the standard bullshit title "expert" anyway?

Because it's already completely meaningless, while "engineer" has yet to reach that point (but soon will if sufficiently diluted).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

To my certain knowledge, people have been calling themselves "software engineers" since the 1980s. That train has not only left the station, but been worn out, scrapped, and recycled into a shiny new Tesla.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

To my certain knowledge, people have been calling themselves "software engineers" since the 1980s. That train has not only left the station, but been worn out, scrapped, and recycled into a shiny new Tesla.

There was a software engineering conference sponsored by NATO in the 60s, I think. Maybe early 70s?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DOOP posted:

How many disciplines have some sort of legal requirement in order to call yourself an [X]. Engineer, lawyer, Doctor?

The ones typically considered "Professional" careers are those with legal certification. The three you named are the classic and most common examples.

The reason why most engineers don't have PEs is what's known as the "industry exemption". Basically the logic is that if you're working for a private company, you're not really affecting public welfare so you don't need a professional certification. The problem with that is that most private enterprises do something that does effect the public (for example, making the car you drive in).

That's why for certain jobs, it's actually been mandated that a PE is required. For example, after Deepwater Horizon there's now a law that says the development of that sort of pipeline must be signed off by a PE.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have a friend who makes $200k/yr as a "client support engineer" so it's probably time to dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
More talk about Silicon Valley being poo poo, less talk about "I'M DA REAL ENGINEER"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Radbot posted:

More talk about Silicon Valley being poo poo, less talk about "I'M DA REAL ENGINEER"

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/12/the-silicon-valley-suicides/413140/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Engineering works differently from law and medicine in that every field of engineering is separately certified-or not certified. The US cert structure for engineers is really messy and inconsistent as a result- it's actually a bunch of entirely separate professional systems. The word "engineer" in itself, isn't particularly meaningful and isn't regulated unless it's got a specific term in front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aliquid posted:

i have a friend who makes $200k/yr as a "client support engineer" so it's probably time to dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
How do I get THAT job?