Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Vanellope posted:

I don't trust Evernote (I think it's gonna die soon)

I've heard this sort of thing a lot lately, and it makes me worried, since I'm a big Evernote user :ohdear: I've thought about switching to Notes, but every time I get close to pulling the switch, it fails to do a sync in some big way that half the time makes me lose data, and that's just as bad.

What's a good Evernote replacement? I just want notes, sorted into folders, with some rudimentary styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

flosofl posted:

That was from the app ratings. If that's not the case, then cool.

Definitely not the case according to their site:

quote:

Your journal data is private and we do the following to help keep it that way:

All data, including entries and photos, are stored in encrypted form on our servers.

We use encrypted connections for all server communication to and from your devices over the Internet.

Access to data is limited to key operational employees. These employees keep the sync service running, but are strictly prohibited from ever accessing encrypted data unless required for technical support or when legally required to do so.

We help guard against breaches by requiring strong passwords and two-factor authorization for all administrative accounts.

So, it's encrypted, but it's that kind of encryption where they hold the key. I can see why it sets off alarm bells for a lot of people. It certainly does for me too, but there just isn't a better option as far as I know. Journey looks good, but it's not out for iOS.

quote:

Curious why you think Evernote is going to die? It is firmly entrenched in the business world, my work licenses the Pro version for everyone who wants to use it. The only real competitor I see is One Note. I'd have moved over if One Note's custom tagging wasn't pants on head idiotic. So, Evernote it is until that's fixed.
There's just been a lot of talk about it not being able to generate enough revenue. Very few people buy Evernote Pro, and apparently it's not sustainable. I seem to remember that a bunch of people were laid off recently too.

I also love Evernote, and hope that it sticks around, but it's not looking good.

vtlock posted:

I follow this app fairly closely, and I haven't heard anything about a subscription. I don't think you have anything to worry about on that front.

It's on their twitter

https://twitter.com/dayoneapp/status/696174294607396864

And if you read the rest of the thread they even say that it's hard to say how much the subscription will cost "until they have premium features". Not "if". It's gonna happen. Just a matter of time.

Vanellope fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 28, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

vtlock posted:

I follow this app fairly closely, and I haven't heard anything about a subscription. I don't think you have anything to worry about on that front.

I'll see if I can dig it up, but take it with a grain until then, but I thought I read that full res pics will eventually be part of a 'premium' service for a monthly or yearly fee.

Edit: yep. One post above me.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there an alarm app that lets you dismiss upcoming alarms without turning them off? This is one of the few features I really miss from my Android.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 28, 2016

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Vanellope posted:

It's on their twitter

Thanks for this. I hadn't seen it. Luckily, it sounds like 1) that's not coming up anytime soon and 2) it's only going to be for a certain set of features. As I'm reading it, the product will continue to work as-is for the foreseeable future.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

vtlock posted:

Thanks for this. I hadn't seen it. Luckily, it sounds like 1) that's not coming up anytime soon and 2) it's only going to be for a certain set of features. As I'm reading it, the product will continue to work as-is for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, my issue with it is that there was no mention of a subscription of premium features in the announcement and I upgraded because I thought I was getting all the features that were listed there. If they make some of those features "premium" I'm gonna be mad. If it's other stuff though, I don't really mind.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

dik-dik posted:

Is there an alarm app that lets you dismiss upcoming alarms without turning them off? This is one of the few features I really miss from my Android.
You mean to have it repeat the next day at the same time? The stock Clock app lets you set which days an alarm will repeat on so will leave it on for those days every time you dismiss it.

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

No, on Android if you say, wake up 5 minutes before an alarm, you can stop the alarm from going off without changing any of its settings or turning the alarm off.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Is there a Goon Consensus recipe tracking app? I've got cook books I cherry pick and it'd be nice to have those in a more centralized, less made of paper location.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Paprika.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Paprika is hands down the best cooking app I've ever used.

It's also the only cooking app I've really used.

(I also bought it for Mac so it all syncs and I can manage recipes on it which owns)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Thirding Paprika. In my opinion, it is the best - and Ive tried others.

Go with Paprika :chef:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 30, 2016

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I think Paprika is goon made. I recommended it to my mom - it is the only non-standard mac and iphone app she uses, after bouncing off of so many different apps. She's been using it for years. Good endorsement if you ask me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Another loyal Paprika user here. The latest update added natural language processing and can auto detect and add recipes from about any site, which solved my only real issue with it. Great software!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Paprika sounds great, but the application doesn't accurately predict weather in my area so the real question is what application should I use for weather. Don't say Dark Cloud because you can't store recipes in it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Paprika sounds great, but the application doesn't accurately predict weather in my area so the real question is what application should I use for weather. Don't say Dark Cloud because you can't store recipes in it.

Dashlane.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Overcast, or Downcast if you don't like Marco.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Emacs

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Wait, what am I missing here? I does one require the other?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eightysixed posted:

Wait, what am I missing here? I does one require the other?
Ummmmmmmm how else are you supposed to know what the weather will be when you pull your roast out of the oven?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

bobfather posted:

Another loyal Paprika user here. The latest update added natural language processing and can auto detect and add recipes from about any site, which solved my only real issue with it. Great software!

Have they added the ability to add arbitrary items to the pantry? That was my one missing feature last time I was using it heavily.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Endless Mike posted:

Ummmmmmmm how else are you supposed to know what the weather will be when you pull your roast out of the oven?

While I always enjoy the person who brings it back around to weather for shits n giggles, I have to say that it'd be amazing if a cooking app pulled in your altitude and did the math on cooking times/temps to more accurately reflect your location.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wattershed posted:

While I always enjoy the person who brings it back around to weather for shits n giggles, I have to say that it'd be amazing if a cooking app pulled in your altitude and did the math on cooking times/temps to more accurately reflect your location.

As someone that hosed up cooking rice the one week I spent in Breckenridge, CO that would actually be kinda nice.

loving high altitudes :argh:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
paprika? that sounds a bit too spicy for your average ios thread poster.

is there no app called 'white sliced bread with the crusts removed'?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I'm on board with location-based cooking. The next cooking app I buy must use Location Services to automatically convert recipes between glorious American freedom units and terrible Communist moon units as appropriate.

Tapping buttons to convert, ugh.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
There's actually a (app controlled) coffee maker that adjusts the brewing process based on altitude: http://behmor.com/

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
That's pretty strong consensus, thanks y'all.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there such a thing as an app which auto-scrolls for image sites (Imgr) or twitter? If not, why not? Seems a natural move for the lazy (me).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What are some good drawing apps to use with the Apple Pencil? Also I am curious on some good picross and jigsaw puzzle games on the app store?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rirse posted:

What are some good drawing apps to use with the Apple Pencil? Also I am curious on some good picross and jigsaw puzzle games on the app store?

Procreate

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Procreate for everything but sketching.

Notes is awesome for basic sketching, and Adobe sketchbook pro for sketching with layers and a bit more customizability.

I know pros who use sketchbook pro for sketching and procreate for inking and coloring, with a little finish afterwards in photoshop on pc.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 3, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO at work dunked his iPhone at the end of a three week safari in Africa and is bemoaning the loss of all the photos and videos he shot. He was under the assumption that Dropbox was autosyncing them along with iCloud's backup and photo library.

Is there a reliable method to keep his photos and videos synced that doesn't require any action on his part? He's a high level consumer of technology with low level comprehension.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Did he not turn on iCloud photos library? That has always been reliable for me.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 3, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dik-dik posted:

Did he not turn on iCloud photos library? That has always been reliable for me.

I'm pretty sure iCloud needs wifi to sync. Dropbox can use mobile data (it's an option you need to enable).

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm pretty sure iCloud needs wifi to sync. Dropbox can use mobile data (it's an option you need to enable).

Oh, right. For some reason I thought iCloud could be set to use mobile data. In any case, Google Photos has free unlimited photo storage and can be set up to back up both photos and videos over mobile data.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Google Photos doesn't do the originals though, does it? Just downscaled ones?

Might not be a dealbreaker for this dude if he'd even notice, but for other folks in general.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PFlats posted:

Might not be a dealbreaker for this dude if he'd even notice, but for other folks in general.

Unlimited downscaled for free, can use original size which will use whatever you have for storage shared between gmail/google drive etc

Also amazon and ms onedrive have apps that will auto backup photos/vids to their respective services. Tons of options (I use several for redundancy but I only backup via wifi)

priznat fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 3, 2016

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

PFlats posted:

Its only downscaled above a certain MP limit - 12 or 16, can't remember.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is tweetbot the only decent 3rd party twitter client? I'm fedup of the amount of sponsored tweets i'm getting with the official app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

track day bro! posted:

I'm fedup of the amount of sponsored tweets i'm getting with the official app.

yeah the jump in the amount of sponsored tweets i've been seeing lately is insane