Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Kind of worried that Civil War is going to be bloated. Seems like they're just shoe-horning everything in.

Eh, I don't really agree. The general story seems fairly straightforward. Introducing Black Panther and Spiderman might be a little much, but I doubt either of them will require as much screen time as Batman or Lex Luthor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snowman_McK posted:

No, it's just really self serious and completely loving self-indulgent.

HIJK posted:

Seriously, at one point Matt beats up a man for molesting his daughter, that's the exact opposite of light hearted.

Gyges posted:

I seriously have no idea what people are even talking about anymore with DC movies being totally dour and grimdark but Netflix Daredevil is lighthearted. Are we just randomly throwing out mood adjectives when talking about movies now?
I mean the show itself, not Daredevil as a character, who is absolutely dour.

The light-heartedness is pretty much gone in season 2 though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looking festive there, Mads.

Maybe he's playing Nightmare. The eyes look about right.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I mean the show itself, not Daredevil as a character, who is absolutely dour.

The light-heartedness is pretty much gone in season 2 though.

I knew what you were talking about.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Same.

What confuses people is, I think, the gap between the narrative and the economic side of things: "Superman is fighting Batman, and they reference like eight other heroes and villains, so obviously this is the most important movie ever!"

In actuality, they shoved all this viral marketing stuff into BVS because it's the unimportant one - guaranteed not to lose money. The studio let Snyder go hog wild with a hallucinogenic, three-hour R-rated director's cut based on his all-time favorite movie (1981's Excalibur). That's not what you do when your life depends on things.

Somehow I had never seen Excalibur before and decided to go watch it after reading this post. This movie is incredibly my poo poo (everything involving the first featurette with Uther Pendragon was incredible). I haven't seen BvS yet but this sounds like a pretty strong recommendation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Picard Day posted:

Somehow I had never seen Excalibur before and decided to go watch it after reading this post. This movie is incredibly my poo poo (everything involving the first featurette with Uther Pendragon was incredible). I haven't seen BvS yet but this sounds like a pretty strong recommendation.

I haven't seen BvS yet but I would have given Excalibur as one answer to "which movie have you seen more than 20 times" posted a while ago, so now I'm even more hype for BvS. Like, über-hype. Hüpe.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
So what is the deal with Darkseid? Because Darkside of literally planet Apokolips (laffo) sounds like the worst villain ever. I know that Thanos is a shameless Darkseid ripoff, but not only does that character not have an embarrassing name but also seems to have an interesting background with his obsession with Death. The only thing about Darkseid that has creeped into the public consciousness is the couch meme so I would be interested to hear if there is more to this guy than what sounds like a five year old's idea for a villain.

Wikipedia posted:

Kirby modelled Darkseid's character on that of Adolf Hitler and the world of Apokolips on Nazi Germany.

OH

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Rhyno posted:

Eh, one is a doughy giant baby. The other is roided to hell and back. If audiences can understand different Spider-men they can understand different Hulks.

I wanted to remind myself how bad Ang Lee Hulk looked and this was on the first page of search results.

Hello, old friend.

But yeah Ang Lee Hulk looks awful. Avengers Hulk is about 100 times better. Oh god and the hulkdogs... I think I need to watch that trainwreck again. The only part I enjoyed was Nick Nolte.

Ah yes, I am well acquainted with Hitler's love of penis-shaped helmets, black miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 4, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Man, the very deliberate visual style Ang Lee chose keeps getting cited as some kind of mistake. It's really weird.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Man, the very deliberate visual style Ang Lee chose keeps getting cited as some kind of mistake. It's really weird.

I think most are saying that it was a mistake he chose that style, not that stuff like the exploding Talbot just kind of showed up when Ang Lee didn't pay attention. I don't agree to that, but Ang Lee's Hulk is an acquired taste.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

It looks so bad that the only way our mind can cope is by convincing ourselves that it was a mistake and not a conscious decision by an otherwise pretty good director.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
To be fair, I remember that being a frame from a comic book panel transition. The explosion went as normal, the action froze and the comic book frames came up.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Flabby baby-face Stretch Armstrong Hulk with his neon purple pants, ridiculous Hulk poodle who explodes into green mist, and the awful attempts at comic-book-like transitions were all deliberate choices by the director. The were also mistakes in the same way that platypuses and gingko tree berries are mistakes by God. They were purposefully designed but are so hideous and absurd that they should have never existed.

As I said before the only things the movie have going for it are Nick Nolte playing a crazy old person (himself) and Jennifer Connelly, whose incredibly beauty is enough to slay any devil and redeem any sinner.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Flabby baby-face Stretch Armstrong Hulk with his neon purple pants, ridiculous Hulk poodle who explodes into green mist, and the awful attempts at comic-book-like transitions were all deliberate choices by the director. The were also mistakes in the same way that platypuses and gingko tree berries are mistakes by God. They were purposefully designed but are so hideous and absurd that they should have never existed.

As I said before the only things the movie have going for it are Nick Nolte playing a crazy old person (himself) and Jennifer Connelly, whose incredibly beauty is enough to slay any devil and redeem any sinner.

If you think the platypus of all animals is such a mistake, google 'naked mole-rat'. They are The Avengers to Ang Lee's platypus.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Hey guy, gently caress you.

Platypuses are awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It is not possible to make a serious movie about a team up of a guy who is really good at boomerangs, a guy who is really good at ropes, a juggalo, and a lizard man, who fight a clown. It's inherently not serious.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vicissitude posted:

To be fair, I remember that being a frame from a comic book panel transition. The explosion went as normal, the action froze and the comic book frames came up.

People watching a comic book movie don't want to be reminded it is a comic book, is probably the main problem. It's a movie, people want to pretend their favorite characters are real for two hours.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Everyone name a movie you've watched more than twenty times that wasn't something constantly on TV like Just One Of The Guys.

Evil Dead II

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I've seen Predator, Gojira and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles an absurd amount over the years. As fine a movie triplet as you'll ever see.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

My brothers and I watched Batman and the Super Mario Bros movie a poo poo-ton of times on VHS. My mother must had had the patience of a saint to watch that poo poo over and over again while ironing. Never got old for us kids, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm confused. All the Marvel movies are bad now in the light of BvS?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

You're confused because that's stupid.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Darkseid was super awesome in the Superman Animated series. Michael Ironside was phenomenal, and Darkseid was very threatening and well represented. Since then he's become Generic Bad Dude and it sucks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That was Clancy Brown, not Ironside.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nah, he's right, Ironside was Darkseid. Clancy Brown was Luthor.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Wuh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No, Clancy Brown was Lex Luthor, Ironside was Darkseid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double post

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Nah they were bad before that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh right. Goddamn it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Davros1 posted:

Yes correct that is the current CineD Hivemind, you must think this way or you will be banned.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In a twist unforeseen by anyone, Deadpool is now officially the highest-grossing X-Men movie

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Yes correct that is the current CineD Hivemind, you must think this way or you will be banned.

"All Marvel movies are really bad" joins "Michael Bay is really good" as CineD Hivemind opinions that most people in CineD don't actually hold

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 4, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Clancy Brown should play live action Darkseid, and by "Darkseid" I actually mean "just play his character from Carnivale."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Proposition Joe posted:

So what is the deal with Darkseid? Because Darkside of literally planet Apokolips (laffo) sounds like the worst villain ever. I know that Thanos is a shameless Darkseid ripoff, but not only does that character not have an embarrassing name but also seems to have an interesting background with his obsession with Death. The only thing about Darkseid that has creeped into the public consciousness is the couch meme so I would be interested to hear if there is more to this guy than what sounds like a five year old's idea for a villain.

He's Literally Satan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darkseid is basically evil incarnate. Which sounds kind of 'oh, yeah, a lot of things are' but the mythology of the New Gods really builds up the idea he is not merely a bad guy but the literal incarnation of corruption and evil. lovely writers make him a guy who is hard to punch, good writers express the idea of him being a metaphysical concept that can corrupt and influence things around him. BvS seems like they're looking towards the latter but we'll see if that pans out or if he just gets punched through a building and explodes .

Edit: The latter is not a reference to Zach Snyder but to lovely Darkseid writers, just to be clear.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 4, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jenny Angel posted:

"All Marvel movies are really bad" joins "Michael Bay is really good" as CineD Hivemind opinions that most people in CineD don't actually hold

Please do not undermine Our attempts to build a new film canon, it hurts Us very much

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

He's Literally Satan.

Thanos is a ripoff of Darkseid but they've done a good job differentiating them and both villains are real good when used correctly.

Darkseid is less about fighting people one on one like Thanos and more about sending his legions of parademons and underlings to just wash over and overwhelm his enemies (but obviously he is not above throwing down himself). Whereas Thanos's macguffin is the Infinity Gauntlet which gives him the personal power of a god and allows him to unmake reality and erase all life, Darkseid's path to destroying life is the anti-life equation, which removes all will and renders humanity as mindless slaves to Darkseid. He's less about total death in the physical sense than of removing everything that otherwise defines sentient life (free will, creativity, persontality, etc)

But yeah, they both have interesting backgrounds if you actually read them, right now their public perceptions are "scowly dude at the end of a few Marvel movies" and "the dude from that couch meme". Also Thanos is from thanatos and he courts a big tittied personification of death, this poo poo is all as embarrassing as you want it to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

He's Literally Satan.

I think he actually teamed up with Satan once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Davros1 posted:

• Locked thread