Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They say "lifetime", I believe, and not unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Have they actually pulled the plug on any car's supercharger privs though? Until they set a cap, saying just "there's a cap" doesn't mean there's a cap

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I promise somewhere in the fine print they're allowed to tell you to gently caress off if every day you're parking your car daily for 8 hours at a supercharger while you work and it's preventing other people from being able to charge or some other super dick move like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Typically, deposits like this are not allowed to be treated as recognized revenue and are held in escrow.

Apparently when you put down the deposit they say that it will be used operationally and not kept separated from general funds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Apparently when you put down the deposit they say that it will be used operationally and not kept separated from general funds.

I'd have to imagine this means "we're not going to literally put it in a separate bank account, but we still are going to consider it a $115M liability on our books", not "lol we're spending the money and it's gone." I think a sixth-grader could figure out why you shouldn't spend money that you might have to pay back in its entirety at any time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush posted:

I think a sixth-grader could figure out why you shouldn't spend money that you might have to pay back in its entirety at any time.

Yeah, but that sixth grader isn't doing venture capital in the valley.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

I think a sixth-grader could figure out why you shouldn't spend money that you might have to pay back in its entirety at any time.

Why should banks be the only ones doing fractional reserve?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Oh man. I just took a Model X for a spin in Ludicrous mode. I think it's a combination of the size of the thing and the huge panoramic windshield, but to me it feels
faster than the S (though to be fair I've only driven P85D/P90, not Ludicrous). Autopilot was great, it's really come a long way from the adaptive cruise control. I'll be excited to see where it goes in the future as development continues.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I'll have to go back and check my previous years taxes to be sure I can leverage that full tax credit. Maybe I'll adjust my withholding a bit in 2017 (2018?) to owe a little more if necessary. Thanks for that pro-tip, I was totally in the ignorant camp of "thought I was getting some kind of check". My record tax return year involved a solar tax credit so I was thinking the same thing as that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sagebrush posted:

I'd have to imagine this means "we're not going to literally put it in a separate bank account, but we still are going to consider it a $115M liability on our books", not "lol we're spending the money and it's gone." I think a sixth-grader could figure out why you shouldn't spend money that you might have to pay back in its entirety at any time.

Actually Tesla is known for engaging in some shady financial shenanigans

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OldPueblo posted:

I'll have to go back and check my previous years taxes to be sure I can leverage that full tax credit. Maybe I'll adjust my withholding a bit in 2017 (2018?) to owe a little more if necessary. Thanks for that pro-tip, I was totally in the ignorant camp of "thought I was getting some kind of check". My record tax return year involved a solar tax credit so I was thinking the same thing as that.

Adjusting your withholding won't change your tax liability.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Model S vs a 737:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFtJR5yhutU
(Mad Max 1 was filmed (in part) right beside that airport)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Model S vs a 737:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFtJR5yhutU
(Mad Max 1 was filmed (in part) right beside that airport)
That is ridiculous.

e: some good info here on the ventilation (one single slot across the whole dash it looks like) and other things on the 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbDG1_AvN9c

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 3, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Some interesting tweets.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Video of the Model 3's trunk being opened around 3:25 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SWVS56aZU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Ola posted:

Some interesting tweets.

There's also this:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716729420078133248

A lot of people commented that the steering wheel looked cheap, so I guess it makes sense now to learn it was basically just a placeholder. Makes you wonder what's gonna be so great about the real thing, though. Maybe virtual gauges integrated into the steering wheel somehow?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah I figured they must be going to announce more about their vision for the thing in order to explain the lack of dash. If there's actually a whole different steering solution etc. then that will be interesting. I'd actually totally forgotten he said this was just 'part 1' of the reveal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AWD option confirmed.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716745282394976257

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716745898202685441

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Cawd Rud posted:

Video of the Model 3's trunk being opened around 3:25 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SWVS56aZU

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to wait for the crossover version unless we see some big changes.

What's dumb is that from a distance, the car looks like it was meant to be a hatchback, but someone decided that the one piece glass roof was more important than respectable cargo capability.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that seems like an odd design choice.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
There was a Musk tweet on this point too. He said it was because they moved the front seats forward, a supporting pillar had to move too, which made a hatch impossible on the M3. I'm probably garbling his explanation but it was something like that.

Presumably Model Y is the CUV built on the M3 base, so will address this market. But you might be waiting a while.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Any speculation on when Part 2 of the reveal will be?I don't like waiting :(

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I just helped someone move a 60" tv in a tiny 2 door hatchback and man that 3 trunk looks flat out retarded after doing that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

A lot of people commented that the steering wheel looked cheap, so I guess it makes sense now to learn it was basically just a placeholder. Makes you wonder what's gonna be so great about the real thing, though. Maybe virtual gauges integrated into the steering wheel somehow?

Projected images on the dash space? Would be tricky to get the perspective right for all size drivers and seat positions.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Michael Scott posted:

Any speculation on when Part 2 of the reveal will be?I don't like waiting :(

msny months

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

blugu64 posted:

"Lifetime free supercharging"

"Acceptable Usage Policy applies"

E:F;B

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

kimbo305 posted:

Projected images on the dash space? Would be tricky to get the perspective right for all size drivers and seat positions.

Eh, projecting that info on the bottom of the windshield is the new hotness and not nearly that hard to get right enough.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

duz posted:

Eh, projecting that info on the bottom of the windshield is the new hotness and not nearly that hard to get right enough.

If they projected a GPS map onto the dash over the driver, that would be an awesome gimmick.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
All cars come with Glass/Hololens style headsets with all the pertinent information overlaid in your vision.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Pryor on Fire posted:

I just helped someone move a 60" tv in a tiny 2 door hatchback and man that 3 trunk looks flat out retarded after doing that.

You're supposed to stick the 60" tv to the dashboard with bluetack or whatever, like they did.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

El Grillo posted:

That is ridiculous.
The takeoff speed of a loaded 737-800 is only about 150mph and even less if it's empty. I'm pretty sure the Tesla driver was holding back in that video.

It's a neat video, but it's not really an impressive demonstration.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

You're supposed to stick the 60" tv to the dashboard with bluetack or whatever, like they did.

The EV/OLED anticipation / speculation / discussion electrothread.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

D C posted:

All cars come with Glass/Hololens style headsets with all the pertinent information overlaid in your vision.

And like the AR headset in the F35, it gives you motion sickness due to lag, is so bulky you can't turn your head, and is so heavy it gives you whiplash.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, that seems like an odd design choice.

Every Tesla has had a stupid design gimmick that has needlessly complicated production and not created any benefits for the end user of the car.

Model S: Retarded door handles
Model X: Retarded door design
Model 3: Retarded roof design

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Doesn't the three have those door handles too?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kimbo305 posted:

HUDs have been a thing since the 90s. It isn't actually that hard to make one work; just usually need a dial to adjust the projection angle to match driver height.

Might not even be a HUD; the interior could be radically different than what was in part 1 with part 2 covering the finalized interior. I'm still having fun posting the pic of no speedometer and no air conditioning for my friends who ordered a 3 though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The cost of the extras like auto pilot, super charger port, onboard charger options, AC and speedometers is going to be hilarious. The melt downs are going to be glorious. When does official pricing get released?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
"Model S: Retarded door handles"

Bu..but I like those handles :ohdear:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fordan posted:

HUDs have been a thing since the 90s. It isn't actually that hard to make one work; just usually need a dial to adjust the projection angle to match driver height.

I've had cars with it, and it's not perfect, even with adjustment. If you're trying to use the whole plastic dash as a screen instead of just the glass, there's more problems to solve, chiefly how much more warped the dash is, but also how to get enough reflected light without using a high power projector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The HUD in my M4 has absolutely ruined me. I don't think I would buy another car that can't at least display speed and nav info in the HUD.

• Locked thread