Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Denzine posted:

Vulkar/Vulkar Wraith are the best snipers because they have syndicate mods and the best zoom levels and scoped bonus.

Yeah the Vulkar Wraith is really best in show for snipers atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Fish Noise posted:

Can you record the sound?
Ok, got the sound:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190786/warframe_1.mp3

It happens at the same time i found the capture target in that sample, but i've also had it happen way after that, sometimes loud, sometimes quiet, sometimes played multiple times at once.

Here's also another one i'm curious about :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190786/warframe_2.mp3

I really wish there was a page detailing the meaning of the many little sound queues the game gives.

Unrelated: Does the Seer have a hard time hitting targets right in front of you or am i just aiming poo poo?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The first one is those weird frontier regulator things I think.

The second is what plays when someone puts a power cell in an extractor.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cascade Failure posted:

I really like the Grinlok, it's easy to make (clantech), has an insanely good syndicate mod (+200% crit chance) and it's zoom is pretty low which makes it suitable for short-to-medium range as well, an area where the other snipers are lacking. Also love the look and general handling, definately worth a try.

Grinlok isn't a sniper rifle.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

mrmcd posted:

Their spawn sound?

Also, interesting, apparently they're supposed to scramble the minimap? I've never had that happen to me. Removed feature, or graphics quality too low?

mrmcd posted:

Oh. :shobon:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

acumen posted:

Just getting into this game on PS4 now. Am I right in saying it's some crazy grindy third-person Diablo 3 on speed sort of thing? I don't even know what's going on yet but my Excalibur frame is up to level 25.

I'm getting to the point where I'm looking at new weapons - are any of these trap choices or can I freely pick whatever seems cool?

Its as grindy as you want it to be really. You can totally sperg about getting everything asap and min-maxing the hell out of everything or you can be pretty relaxed and get things as they come. Warframe's really not a hard game and despite what you will see from pubbies you don't need a perfectly optimal group where everyone has 5 forma in everything. Any halfway decent setup and being reasonably aware to your group composition will get you through 99% of the game just fine. Starting out the things you need to be most aware of are
1) Only spend plat on item slots and possibly reactors/catalysts starting out. Slots are the only gameplay thing that you cannot get without plat, and while you can get reactors and catalysts through alerts and events they are pretty rare so its not a terrible idea to buy em. Buying weapons or frames or just about anything else when you are space-poor is a terrible idea. Eventually you can make plat selling parts you don't need to pubbies and buy your pretty princess dressup or whatever but starting out without throwing cash at the game your plat is precious.
2) Join a goon clan asap. Then tell them you are new and were told you should beg for starter mods. I think the console ones are somewhat less active than pc but they'll still hook you up. Most mods are common enough that by the time you are established you will have a few copies of the important ones, but rare enough that trying to get them on your own sucks. Especially since mods are the main way you actually get more powerful so you are a gimped baby without the important ones. They will probably also help you unlock the planets if you ask.
3) Even if a weapon/frame is terrible and you hate it its still worth leveling to 30 since that's how you get xp and level up. Once its to 30 you can sell it (but check the wiki and make sure its not needed to make something else) and try something else. And leveling gear through regular missions kinda takes forever and sucks which is why you see so many people talking about Draco. Draco is mid-high level interception and if you capture 3 points you can farm 25+ levels on a weapon in 1 game (4 rounds) and then go play more fun missions without having to use an unranked gun.
4) Make a carrier asap. Its sentinel (a little robot that floats by you) that will hoover up all the loot you get near. The blueprint is in the market. It costs 100k credits which might be a bit of a stumbling block for you right now but if you ask in clan you should be able to find a goon to help you make money by running Akkad.

Frames take 72 hours to build so get em cooking before you want em. A good starter frame is Rhino which you get the parts from killing the boss on Venus.

The wiki is surprisingly helpful too.

I think that's carrier's vacuum sound.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

mrmcd posted:

Correct!

Mithaldu posted:

Their spawn sound?

Also, interesting, apparently they're supposed to scramble the minimap? I've never had that happen to me. Removed feature, or graphics quality too low?
It is indeed their spawn sound, but their scrambling has a rather limited range, while the spawn sound has a gigantic footprint.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

LtSmash posted:

Unless NPCs can have carriers, i doubt it. :)

You can try getting the sound yourself by playing the Earth Capture mission on Pacific.

Fish Noise posted:

Correct!

It is indeed their spawn sound, but their scrambling has a rather limited range, while the spawn sound has a gigantic footprint.

Ah, thank you for confirming! :haw:

What kind of limited range? Like, rubbing myself into them? I've literally never seen the scramble.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Maybe not that short a range, but it's still drat tiny. I've only seen it a handful of times myself.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 3, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

They also explode if you so much as fart on them too. I've seen it, but I didn't even know they did the scrambling thing until after like 6 months of playing.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Since they spawn in the same zones as other enemies and are basically limited to floating up in the air for movement, they can wind up in some incredibly pointless places too.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Confirmed. V Hek is fun as hek :v:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

LtSmash posted:

Its as grindy as you want it to be really. You can totally sperg about getting everything asap and min-maxing the hell out of everything or you can be pretty relaxed and get things as they come. Warframe's really not a hard game and despite what you will see from pubbies you don't need a perfectly optimal group where everyone has 5 forma in everything. Any halfway decent setup and being reasonably aware to your group composition will get you through 99% of the game just fine. Starting out the things you need to be most aware of are
1) Only spend plat on item slots and possibly reactors/catalysts starting out. Slots are the only gameplay thing that you cannot get without plat, and while you can get reactors and catalysts through alerts and events they are pretty rare so its not a terrible idea to buy em. Buying weapons or frames or just about anything else when you are space-poor is a terrible idea. Eventually you can make plat selling parts you don't need to pubbies and buy your pretty princess dressup or whatever but starting out without throwing cash at the game your plat is precious.
2) Join a goon clan asap. Then tell them you are new and were told you should beg for starter mods. I think the console ones are somewhat less active than pc but they'll still hook you up. Most mods are common enough that by the time you are established you will have a few copies of the important ones, but rare enough that trying to get them on your own sucks. Especially since mods are the main way you actually get more powerful so you are a gimped baby without the important ones. They will probably also help you unlock the planets if you ask.
3) Even if a weapon/frame is terrible and you hate it its still worth leveling to 30 since that's how you get xp and level up. Once its to 30 you can sell it (but check the wiki and make sure its not needed to make something else) and try something else. And leveling gear through regular missions kinda takes forever and sucks which is why you see so many people talking about Draco. Draco is mid-high level interception and if you capture 3 points you can farm 25+ levels on a weapon in 1 game (4 rounds) and then go play more fun missions without having to use an unranked gun.
4) Make a carrier asap. Its sentinel (a little robot that floats by you) that will hoover up all the loot you get near. The blueprint is in the market. It costs 100k credits which might be a bit of a stumbling block for you right now but if you ask in clan you should be able to find a goon to help you make money by running Akkad.

Frames take 72 hours to build so get em cooking before you want em. A good starter frame is Rhino which you get the parts from killing the boss on Venus.

The wiki is surprisingly helpful too.

Thanks for the pointers. Already spent my PS+ bonus and starting plat on the Carrier and a colour palette because I like pretty princess dressup.I had $3 in my PSN wallet already so I shelled out another $5 for the Dendra Armour Pack (170 plat, which I'm saving for these fancy potatoes).

I'm currently working towards the Rhino frame but it's got a couple components I don't have access to yet. I guess my main question was for guidance on any trap frames/weapons or what I should be spending my time on. The survival missions have been getting me shittons of exp/loot but I think I need to finish all the planets in order to have access to more components so I can finish building whatever I get blueprints for (so far only the Rhino systems/helm and a Heat Sword).

If there are PS4 clan officers on here I'm on PSN as mo-unit1

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Fish Noise posted:

Since they spawn in the same zones as other enemies and are basically limited to floating up in the air for movement, they can wind up in some incredibly pointless places too.

Well they are literally balloons.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Well they are literally balloons.
And yet, this does not stop sensor regulators from going on parade to extraction!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Warframe update: Ignis with Sinister Reach, Firestorm, Combustion Beam, and Heavy Caliber is kind of funny.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Lanka is the best sniper rifle.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tonkor is the best sniper rifle.

Actual post: Can someone recommend a good shield polarize build? I've noticed Mag can single-handedly curbstomp any sortie focused on Corpus and I want to be that guy.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015

Chocobo posted:

Lanka is the best sniper rifle.

This. If you can live with the charge fire mechanic you've got a railgun with huge innate punch through and damage

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

mrmcd posted:

They also explode if you so much as fart on them too. I've seen it, but I didn't even know they did the scrambling thing until after like 6 months of playing.

My experience is that higher level ones actually do the jamming. I don't think I've seen one on earth actually do it, they just seem like balloon radios. They DO give nearby Grineer stat boosts though, so if you're brand new, killing those things first is probably not a terrible idea.

VVV I've taken a zen approach to jumping into the void. Expect nothing and you may never be disappointed.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 4, 2016

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
15 runs of T2 Exterminate and I'm drowning in Nova and Forma BPs with no Saryn parts to show for it at all. The desire sensor is painfully real.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

sitchelin posted:

Actual post: Can someone recommend a good shield polarize build? I've noticed Mag can single-handedly curbstomp any sortie focused on Corpus and I want to be that guy.

Far from any sortie, but definitely the augmented shields ones. My Mag tanks Duration, since Shield Polarize doesn't care about that, and focuses on Efficiency and Strength and Range. I don't think I'm using Transient Fortitude, because I don't want to run out of Shield Polarizes and get completely boned, but it might be better if I did.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

sitchelin posted:

Here's how I roll:

No critical forma, Transient Fortitude probably doesn't need to be immediately maxed like I did, and on low-energy missions where you NEED to be on point with the shield polarizing (I'm looking at that Sortie 1 Europa Intercept from the other day), switch out a Drift mod for Flow.
edit: A Greedy Pull will probably work too.

And of course, you still want to exercise SOME caution around Nullifiers, Techs, Fusion/Anti Moas, certain Ospreys, and Bursas.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 4, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fish Noise posted:

No critical forma, Transient Fortitude probably doesn't need to be immediately maxed like I did, and on low-energy missions where you NEED to be on point with the shield polarizing (I'm looking at that Sortie 1 Europa Intercept from the other day), switch out a Drift mod for Flow.

Zenurik will take care of that.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sitchelin posted:

It's insane on Enhanced Shield sorties. If no one else brings a Mag I do 90% of the damage. That being said why am I the only person bringing Mag on those?!?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

KDdidit posted:

It's insane on Enhanced Shield sorties. If no one else brings a Mag I do 90% of the damage. That being said why am I the only person bringing Mag on those?!?

You only really need one Mag for most of them?

b00n
May 8, 2007
More than one Mag has the too many cooks problem.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Fish Noise posted:

Here's how I roll:

edit: A Greedy Pull will probably work too.

And of course, you still want to exercise SOME caution around Nullifiers, Techs, Fusion/Anti Moas, certain Ospreys, and Bursas.

I don't know why you're going hog wild on range. Just throw in the usual stuff, plus Blind Rage and Fleeting Expertise. I don't see the point of working in Overextended unless it's a defense/interception mission on that really huge square-shaped map.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Maxwell Adams posted:

I don't know why you're going hog wild on range. Just throw in the usual stuff, plus Blind Rage and Fleeting Expertise. I don't see the point of working in Overextended unless it's a defense/interception mission on that really huge square-shaped map.
Because when I see my teammates aim at something, I think: "No. That's MY kill."

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Nalesh posted:

What's the best sniper rifle nowadays now that the snipetron vandal is back? Best as in during real play, not the theoretical wankfest.

Opticor, because it's an exploding laser that uses rifle ammo and punches through anything and everything with innate punch through and massive puncture damage.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Maxwell Adams posted:

Thanks to damage falloff on the explosions, range translates into more damage. In my experience you get more mileage of boosting range and getting cross-kills than boosting damage and having a bunch of powerful explosions detonate harmlessly with no one in their radii.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

Opticor, because it's an exploding laser that uses rifle ammo and punches through anything and everything with innate punch through and massive puncture damage.

Pretty sure opticor is actually the best bow.

Lex prime is the best sniper rifle.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

Mithaldu posted:

What kind of limited range? Like, rubbing myself into them? I've literally never seen the scramble.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Maybe not that short a range, but it's still drat tiny. I've only seen it a handful of times myself.
I stood on a few of them today and got no scramble, so if the normal stationary ones have any scramble range, it is less than "rub on them". Maybe that's about the moving ones in Spy missions.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

LtSmash posted:

About gaem

Thanks for this. Just started last week and am having fun. Three days out from my Rhino frame.

Where is the goon Clan, anyone know who to talk to?

PSN: HeroVonBismark

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Pretty sure opticor is actually the best bow.

Lex prime is the best sniper rifle.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

quote:

Scrambling
Propaganda drones scramble your minimap, not anything else. Is that where you're looking?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

Propaganda drones scramble your minimap, not anything else. Is that where you're looking?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Technically that's a full-size map.
EDIT: Or just a zoomed-out minimap? Can you do that?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, just press M. It isn't terribly useful, though.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sortie Excavation :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

BeAuMaN posted:

Sortie Excavation :smithicide:
Try Ash and Frost as the team foundation. The elemental enhancement on the enemies significantly reduces the effectiveness of the magnetic Shield Polarize explosion.

Mithaldu posted:

I stood on a few of them today and got no scramble, so if the normal stationary ones have any scramble range, it is less than "rub on them". Maybe that's about the moving ones in Spy missions.
Sensor Regulators don't scramble. Normal and Frontier Regulators are supposed to have a buff for nearby Grineer and a minimap scramble. Investigating this myself on Earth, I observed no scramble or buff aura. Either something is broken, or some aspect of their effects varies with level since Earth is mostly newbietown.