Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

COOL CORN posted:

So you're GMT? I have so many questions for you. When will I get my ADP reprint? When is Cuba Libre being reprinted? How is Falling Sky?

Volko said shipping end of April for all three. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

EotS question: Is there any way of avoiding taking attrition losses on turn 2 as the Allies? You effectively only have 1 commonwealth HQ so either the aussies or the guys in Burma/India are going to be without an HQ.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

So you're GMT? I have so many questions for you. When will I get my ADP reprint? When is Cuba Libre being reprinted? How is Falling Sky?

https://twitter.com/volko26/status/710401223564902400

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

:gasp:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

So close... can almost taste it...

Fire in the Lake is my favorite solo board game of all right now, so two variations that both play faster has got me ridiculously hyped.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

wins32767 posted:

EotS question: Is there any way of avoiding taking attrition losses on turn 2 as the Allies? You effectively only have 1 commonwealth HQ so either the aussies or the guys in Burma/India are going to be without an HQ.
Nope, and 9 times out of 10 you want to place the HQ in Burma. The steps in Burma are too valuable to lose unless the Japanese player is going for a crazy Port Moresby turn 2 attack into a follow up invasion of Australia.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Nope, and 9 times out of 10 you want to place the HQ in Burma. The steps in Burma are too valuable to lose unless the Japanese player is going for a crazy Port Moresby turn 2 attack into a follow up invasion of Australia.

You also usually don't have any other steps to spend your turn 3 infantry replacements on other than the 2 Aussie corps that will be flipped because they're OOS.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CaptainRightful posted:

Fire in the Lake is my favorite solo board game of all right now, so two variations that both play faster has got me ridiculously hyped.

Does it also have multiplayer? If so.. :shepspends:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tias posted:

Does it also have multiplayer? If so.. :shepspends:

Up to 4! COIN games are best against human players, but the AI bots are very sophisticated if you're patient.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CaptainRightful posted:

Up to 4! COIN games are best against human players, but the AI bots are very sophisticated if you're patient.

Wait, are we talking cardboard or computer games, here :confused:

I thought they were putting out the tabletop edition, you see.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Tias posted:

quote:

In addition to providing four highly interesting factions that each present distinct strategic problems, the game offers one of the most involved and technically satisfying solo rule sets I’ve ever encountered. The solo system is comprised of “bot” decision trees for each faction which are built upon a complex algorithm developed by the extremely talented Oerjan Ariander. Each side can be controlled by these AI decision trees such that a game can consist of any number of bots and run smoothly (you could technically run a game entirely of bots if you’re that kind of person). The detail and scope they provide is astounding, particularly when you view the U.S. bot which actually performs differently depending on the policy of the President in Office (JFK, LBJ, or Nixon). That may be one of the most interesting and stellar details I’ve seen in a game design.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1245201/all-wrong-people-remember-vietnam

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tias posted:

They are board games that come with flowcharts you can use to play by yourself. Or don't use the flowcharts and play with real people.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah, all of the COIN games have flowcharts to allow you to have a 'bot' play one or more of the factions. (Andean Abyss doesn't have an official government bot, and Cuba Libre's bots are designed in the expectation a human is the government or M26.) In addition to the rules for playing solo, there are modules for VASSAL that allow you to play the games on your computer, but have little rules enforcement and certainly no automatic AI players.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah, all of the COIN games have flowcharts to allow you to have a 'bot' play one or more of the factions. (Andean Abyss doesn't have an official government bot, and Cuba Libre's bots are designed in the expectation a human is the government or M26.) In addition to the rules for playing solo, there are modules for VASSAL that allow you to play the games on your computer, but have little rules enforcement and certainly no automatic AI players.

But the VASSAL modules DO automate all the scoring/card handling.

Which annoys me to no loving end with the PBEM game of LOD I'm playing right now, because every single person is trying to manually move the cards around and move the score track markers around, and it screws up all the calculations :argh:

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

COOL CORN posted:

But the VASSAL modules DO automate all the scoring/card handling.

This is really the best feature of those modules. No thanks to remembering to move total support/opposition manually all the time.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/220177

Operation Dauntless for $33.50 until April 10th

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Thankfully, Volko Runkhe seems to understand the wargamers dilemma so although they are designed for four players the games support 1-4 with bots filling in for the missing people. The scripts work best for the 'simpler' insurgent factions because they don't have the options the counter-insurgents have. That being said, FitL is definitely playable as the insurgents or counter-insurgents and is a good deal of fun in my opinion (although there are things I still love to grouse about). Keep in mind it's not really possible to write a one page script that will handle all the situations you would encounter.

As for Cuba Libre I just finished a game last night as M26. Tied with Syndicate in final prop round so I consider that a victory (gently caress DR and their Subvert action. As the literal last play of the game the bot marched 8 guerrillas into Las Villas and Subverted it to neutral bringing me from +3 to -1). If you play solo it's going to feel as if the bots are ganging up on you and they will happily let each other win which is the big difference between them and playing with real people. On the other hand, they will often miss 'optimal' plays that a player wouldn't. In the end it balances out. It's funny that in my last two solo plays of Cuba Libre as M26 my enemy list both times has been the Directorio, the Syndicate, and then the Government.

If there were real AIs programmed for the COIN series I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Heartzbane
Apr 8, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

What's this about two variations for Fire in the Lake?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Heartzbane posted:

What's this about two variations for Fire in the Lake?

Cuba Libre and Falling Sky - two games coming out (one's a reprint) that are both smaller than FITL.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tight (not my picture)

Also here's the back, you can see the map a bit.

edit-- 3 different control counters is interesting (Aedui / German / Roman)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 4, 2016

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Foehammer posted:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/220177

Operation Dauntless for $33.50 until April 10th

lmao gently caress I just bought that on amazon

Ah well, if I'm going to buy more game before having even cracked the rules on most of my last bunch, might as well go for broke and pay too much too :getin:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

I'm GMT and pretty much free tomorrow and Tuesday, but asym might work, we'll see.

Sorry, but my wife has come down with the flu. Taking care of her plus work equals I don't get to play any games this week. Maybe some other time?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Thinking of picking up For the People, but a little concerned about play time. It's listed as 6 hours on BGG, but it looks like there are three scenarios in the rulebook. About how long are the three scenarios?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Caedar posted:

Thinking of picking up For the People, but a little concerned about play time. It's listed as 6 hours on BGG, but it looks like there are three scenarios in the rulebook. About how long are the three scenarios?

I haven't actually played this yet, but there's essentially victory conditions for the end of every year and the spring of 1865. This means that you can start the full campaign and just end it sanely at the end of any year if you feel it's running too long. Dunno if that helps you :shrug:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Ithle01 posted:

If there were real AIs programmed for the COIN series I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Surprised there isn't one on iOS yet tbqh. Unofficial of course.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

SavageMessiah posted:

I haven't actually played this yet, but there's essentially victory conditions for the end of every year and the spring of 1865. This means that you can start the full campaign and just end it sanely at the end of any year if you feel it's running too long. Dunno if that helps you :shrug:

Oh, that's really interesting! And really motivates me to get it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

sonatinas posted:

I've seriously considered building one for Android. The tough part is that the user would still need to enter a lot of input as pieces move, enter or leave play, and also tell the app which event card was revealed each turn. I'll wait until Cuba Libre arrives and take a crack at that before diving into the deep end with FITL.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

hhnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

COOL CORN posted:

hhnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg

Jealous. I P500'd it, but no word from GMT yet about it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Athaboros posted:

Jealous. I P500'd it, but no word from GMT yet about it.

Not my copy - the designer just got his copy and is posting pics of it on Facebook.

Glow Sticks
Feb 26, 2009
Hey thread, just wanted to thank you all for recommending Conflict of Heroes a while back. My roommate and I have greatly enjoyed playing the game, getting in a game at least once a week.

It does seem as though the rest of the Academy Games COH range is perpetually in preorder though, which is less then ideal.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

COOL CORN posted:

hhnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg

Whoa whoa whoa, there are player mats now? Why is this releasing all kinds of happy chemicals into my brain? :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Caedar posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, there are player mats now? Why is this releasing all kinds of happy chemicals into my brain? :getin:

It's really a great solution to the big chunks of map devoted to forts / available units / etc. Makes the actual map way more condensed.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

sonatinas posted:

Well I guess we have to ask ourselves how many people actually play these games who have the skill, time, and dedication to do this? Falling Sky looks like it's going to be a hugely popular installment in the series and there's less than 2000 individual orders for it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Sorry, but my wife has come down with the flu. Taking care of her plus work equals I don't get to play any games this week. Maybe some other time?
That should be fine.

Also, is anyone interested in running a Empire of the Sun co-LP? I'm really hankering to do one.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

That should be fine.

Also, is anyone interested in running a Empire of the Sun co-LP? I'm really hankering to do one.

What are you thinking about doing?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

That should be fine.

I don't know that I'm skilled enough to play against you, but I've be super down for reading along, or maybe it could be a Tekopo vs. The Voting Audience kind of thing? (Like the Liberty or Death game)

edit-- hm, there would need to be a moderator for card hiding.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I did something similar for Pursuit of Glory: we play through a turn/half a turn, immediately write up the turn report, then post it in the thread (obviously not reading the post of the other side). I'd rather not do a voting audience thing since they tend to get bogged down.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I did something similar for Pursuit of Glory: we play through a turn/half a turn, immediately write up the turn report, then post it in the thread (obviously not reading the post of the other side). I'd rather not do a voting audience thing since they tend to get bogged down.

That sounds fun. I was thinking of making a "Goons vs Erasmus bot" game using a simple voting system (first plan to get two votes is implemented), but this sounds better. I'm not all that great at EOTS, but I'd be willing to give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Taran_Wanderer posted:

That sounds fun. I was thinking of making a "Goons vs Erasmus bot" game using a simple voting system (first plan to get two votes is implemented), but this sounds better. I'm not all that great at EOTS, but I'd be willing to give it a go.
Cool, do you want to take the part of the Japanese? Might make it easier. You'd have to do Operation Z/IAI though, since I do want to showcase it.