Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The only things you should put on your resume as "in progress" are your current job and a college degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

The only things you should put on your resume as "in progress" are your current job and a college degree.
Even then, college in progress only matters if you are in your last semester.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SaltLick posted:

I completely get what you're saying but would you think the same of someone still in college that has an expected graduation? I've seen plenty of resume advice mention to put expected graduation since it shows you are pursuing education in some manner so why not the same with certs?

What would be worse to see? Expected MCSA completion or seeing MCP certified since that's only 1 exam completed?
College I consider different - if you know when you're graduating, add that. For certifications, think of it this way. I am currently working on my 2012 MCSA (on its way to an MCSE), my VCAP, ITIL and CCNP.

What this means is that I am aware that 1) I'm going to have to learn a lot of Hyper-V to pass 70-410, that 2) I'd really like to buckle back down on VMware, 3) I should really sacrifice a weekend to collect a buzzwordy cert to get past more HR filters, and 4) I think networking is really cool, like super awesome.

Let me put it to you another way. For the purposes of an interview, a person is nowhere near close enough to done with a cert for it to go on their resume. If you are truly working on a cert, to the point where you feel that it is something you want brought up in an interview, 9 out of 10 people are going to finish that certification before the interview. What I mean is that if you are far enough along in your study for your VMware VCP certification that you can actually speak confidently about it, most people are going to delay their job hunt by those extra couple of days to formally knock that certification out. If you aren't this close to passing it, it isn't "in progress" enough to go on your resume. For this reason, and again I am accusing no specific person of this, when I see that a certification is "in progress", to me this is just "here's a list of popular certifications which I wish I had".

To use myself as a real example, the next certification I want really is my 2012 MCSA. My resume will never state that it is "in progress", because unless I get laid off, no one is going to see my resume until I have that knocked out. I don't need to tell anyone I am working on it. They'll see it on my resume when I have it.

e: Hell, after all of that typing, we can simplify it even further. A certification is "in progress" once you've scheduled the test. If you haven't scheduled the test, it's just knowledge you wish you had.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 2, 2016

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

Well if I get fired for it I can at least sue for retaliatory discharge right?

In the US (except Montana) you can get fired for any reason legally, except a few legally protected statuses. If you were fired for making a sexual harassment claim, or refusing to do something illegal you would have a good claim. EEOC has a good article on this. http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/facts-retal.cfm

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I would put that you're working in your n+ since it shows you're trying to learn and can probably reasonably regurgitate that info. Especially if you have no other real qualifications. The worst that can happen is it doesn't get past the HR filter, which is what is already happening.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Edit: Wrong thread

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't put certs you're working toward unless there are multiple tests involved

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

Well if I get fired for it I can at least sue for retaliatory discharge right?

I don't know what your state has to say about workers rights, but the short answer is "no." You will likely be able to collect unemployment, but what tort against you have they caused? "My boss refuses to let me upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10" is just a lovely place to work, "My boss refuses to let me wear a back brace while lifting heavy servers, I refused to lift more than N-lbs without it, and was fired" is actionable.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Another vote for not going to HR ever, besides sexual harrasment.

Even at the most reputable companies, HR will gently caress you in the rear end without lube

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

LochNessMonster posted:

Even at the most reputable companies, HR will gently caress you in the rear end without lube

:v: "I'm here to report sexual harassment"

:byodame: "Prepare your anus" /equips 18" strapon

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

I would put that you're working in your n+ since it shows you're trying to learn and can probably reasonably regurgitate that info. Especially if you have no other real qualifications. The worst that can happen is it doesn't get past the HR filter, which is what is already happening.

Probably and here's an edited resume again: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVSnBmWXpaeENPS00/view?usp=sharing

I added more details and changed some of the format this time. I'm going to leave off my WIP certs since overall opinion is that it's awkward.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alder posted:

Probably and here's an edited resume again: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVSnBmWXpaeENPS00/view?usp=sharing

I added more details and changed some of the format this time. I'm going to leave off my WIP certs since overall opinion is that it's awkward.
What's on your GitHub, is your work experience only at one place or are those two headings for Business 1, why is there both a Technical Skills and a Relevant Skills section

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

anthonypants posted:

What's on your GitHub, is your work experience only at one place or are those two headings for Business 1, why is there both a Technical Skills and a Relevant Skills section

1. Github has a few of my coding experiments and my site
2. I only worked at one place but I did multiple roles/jobs there under the Business
3. I figured it might be relevant but not sure if I should add it to Hobbies/Interests?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Alder posted:

Ok so you've been at 1 place for 5 years. Cool. Looks like you've done both Customer Service work and also Web Development / IT Support. What do you want to do? Highlight that.

I know it's hard to pad out your resume with limited experience. Rather than nitpick everything line by line I'll say these things for overall cleaning up.

Your verb tenses are all over the place. Some lines are past tense, some are current, some are left out entirely. Example: in the bullet points under Desktop Support Technician you are all over the place. You even have "provided" followed immediately by "provide". Does this mean you actively do the latter and don't do the former any more? What did you do with the Windows XP, Vista, and 7 OS's?

Holy poo poo, under Customer Service Representative you have "Coordinated work scheduling for". For what?

Why don't you have "HTML/CSS & Javascript" listed under your Web Developer/IT Support? You have "Created and maintained site for small businesses", that would be a perfect place to put that in there.

"Installation and maintenance of web server hosted on AWS" is probably one of the more impressive things on your resume. You should highlight that, and maybe go into detail on that part. Take some words away from the stuff you don't want to any more, like proprietary scheduling software or gift card stuff.

Make your verbs actionable. "Responsible for" is too passive. Google "resume responsible for" and you'll see countless examples of how not to do this, so I won't repeat it here.

Didn't think I'd be typing this much about it but things keep popping out at me.

"Diagnostic software utilities." Cool. What's that? What tools? What'd you do?

I understand that a large part of your job is/was customer service and that's fine. Put that at the bottom. Your resume is to highlight what you have done in the areas that you want do more stuff in. In other words: Less words about customer service, more words about the web dev / AWS / web server / actually important stuff.

I'm done. Good luck!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

high six posted:

yeahhhh. Same here. It got to be where I just dreaded coming into work in my windowless office and just having nothing to do all day.

something-something... linux joke.

LochNessMonster posted:

pretty much. I've watched people get hosed over super hard by "HR" at every job I've had.
Thankfully I learned that lesson through the mistakes of others.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 23, 2018

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
To reiterate: HR is meant to serve the business, not you. They will go to the ends of the Earth to gently caress you over it it means exonerating the business from any legal consequences.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

pretty much. I've watched people get hosed over super hard by "HR" at every job I've had.
Thankfully I learned that lesson through the mistakes of others.

I wish I could say the same. At least it learned me some valuable life lessons (and HR hosed up big time so my lawyer ate them for breakfast).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Potato Alley posted:

Ugh, yeah she totally is. The common name is Frisco, and if you don't call it Frisco everyone will basically laugh at you as soon as you open your mouth. Don't be another idiot going around saying "San Fran" and revealing your ignorance.

This has to be a troll. No one calls it 'Frisco who lives in the area. It's the City.

Not Frisco, not San Fran.

Just the City.

Also joining late to salarychat:

I was making $30k as an intern in the Bay Area and this was a poo poo job working for city government. when I graduated I bumped to $60k. Then my next job was in the private sector at $90k. I broke six figures about four/five years into my career and haven't looked back.

I don't understand how some of you are working in large metropolises and tech hubs and have careers that are stagnating as bad as they seem. What are you guys doing or not doing that keeps you guys anchored to these poo poo jobs?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

This has to be a troll. No one calls it 'Frisco who lives in the area. It's the City.

Just the City.

Also joining late to salarychat:

I was making $30k as an intern in the Bay Area and this was a poo poo job working for city government. when I graduated I bumped to $60k. Then my next job was in the private sector at $90k. I broke six figures about four/five years into my career and haven't looked back.

I don't understand how some of you are working in large metropolises and tech hubs and have careers that are stagnating as bad as they seem. What are you guys doing or not doing that keeps you guys anchored to these poo poo jobs?

I would guess risk aversion factors into it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I make 44k before overtime with 24/7 on call weeks in healthcare as desktop in L.A :eng99:

I'm looking jump soon.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

Just the City.

Yes, it was. Not a great one, I'll admit, but I figured if he were dumb enough to believe someone saying it should be San Fran he might take the bait.

But then he revealed his thing was all a troll anyway and he's making the princely sum of $15/hr so I guess we're the idiots. :jerkbag:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm pretty sure last time I was there, everyone called it "my rent sucks".

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Agrikk posted:

What are you guys doing or not doing that keeps you guys anchored to these poo poo jobs?

Having families and buying houses? That and you start to top out at some point. I'm making 4x what I did starting out, but to go much higher I would have to go sales engineer or consultant, which I don't want to do right now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He's still looking for people to help him with his resume though, in case you're feeling charitable.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Lol I think your post outing a troll days after he was established as a troll is, itself, a troll.

If true, good for you, but your post is either more bullshit or unbelievably smug. I'm not sure which I'd hate you for more.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Lol I think your post outing a troll days after he was established as a troll is, itself, a troll.

If true, good for you, but your post is either more bullshit or unbelievably smug. I'm not sure which I'd hate you for more.

Pity. Cost of living makes the salary not as impressive as it looks.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Bob Morales posted:

I did that one time and even fixed their website's lovely resume uploader (it didn't handle duplicates correctly). Included my thought process and 3 different ways to fix it blah blah.

They never called :lol:

I applied to a job asking for someone with good attention to detail. I used my cover letter to point out the mistakes in the position advert.

Yours is interesting because you basically solved a problem for them, for free, as a way of applying. That seems like a good way to demonstrate your sutiability for the job.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Welp, boss said I didn't need to work my two weeks, so, yay two weeks vacation.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

high six posted:

Welp, boss said I didn't need to work my two weeks, so, yay two weeks vacation.

Paid vacation?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Said he'd pay me for this week and pay out the rest of my vacation days too, so effectively yeah.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Having families and buying houses? That and you start to top out at some point. I'm making 4x what I did starting out, but to go much higher I would have to go sales engineer or consultant, which I don't want to do right now.

I think I've started to top out what I can reasonable expect in salary without some additional certifications, degrees, experience. As I'm out looking for jobs now the quick and easy $10k pay jump just isnt as readily available. Most of the new requirements I see out there for SysAdmins are emphasizing Citrix WAY more than I can ever remember. Maybe it's just a fluke thing with this job hunt but it seems like everyone wants Citrix experience.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think I've started to top out what I can reasonable expect in salary without some additional certifications, degrees, experience. As I'm out looking for jobs now the quick and easy $10k pay jump just isnt as readily available. Most of the new requirements I see out there for SysAdmins are emphasizing Citrix WAY more than I can ever remember. Maybe it's just a fluke thing with this job hunt but it seems like everyone wants Citrix experience.

It's a big thing in the healthcare industry. Seems like a ton of facilities use Citrix poo poo to host their medical specific applications.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

high six posted:

It's a big thing in the healthcare industry. Seems like a ton of facilities use Citrix poo poo to host their medical specific applications.
Yeah, it's real big in regulated industries. But it's also easy enough to learn outside of That Dedicated Citrix Admin Role that if you get past the bullshit HR screen, nobody will hold your lack of experience against you.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
If by easy enough, you mean make me want to tear my hair out, then sure. One of the main problems I had when dealing with it was simply finding documentation on how the hell that poo poo works.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Citrix is easy. A good six months is all you need to be good enough to admin a farm on your own. Bonus with the later versions is there's a lot of PowerShell under the hood so you can script yourself to boredom.

Edit: this is assuming you're already proficient at everything microsoft.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 4, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah I'm hesitant to spend much time learning Citrix. Really what this job hunt has taught me is that $75k is the upper limit for general sysadmin jobs in the Minneapolis area and I'm hitting that wall now. If I want to make more money I either need to pick something or specialize in it or go back to school get my degree and get into management.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah I'm hesitant to spend much time learning Citrix. Really what this job hunt has taught me is that $75k is the upper limit for general sysadmin jobs in the Minneapolis area and I'm hitting that wall now. If I want to make more money I either need to pick something or specialize in it or go back to school get my degree and get into management.

Are you working for a VAR/MSP/Partner?

Either way that sounds about right but I've heard of senior-level consultants pulling in around $100k/y with top-tier certs in the Midwest.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I've seen various posts here about CDW reps, but can anyone here chime in about working for them? I'm getting the ball rolling on the application process for positions like these and just curious on what to expect. I keep noticing lower than average starting salary on Glassdoor :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

air- posted:

I've seen various posts here about CDW reps, but can anyone here chime in about working for them? I'm getting the ball rolling on the application process for positions like these and just curious on what to expect. I keep noticing lower than average starting salary on Glassdoor :ohdear:

I think the salary you're seeing is because it's a sales job, not an IT job. Your just selling IT related stuff. I don't think many skills transfer over from IT to sales engineering, it's just matching up subject knowledge.

The CDW reps we work with haven't actually touched tech or troubleshooting in a very long time. All they know is how to extract money by saying "Best Practice" over and over.

Speaking of which, I have a 3 hour marathon with our CDW rep this afternoon to argue why his 50k Server Distribution Layer Switch solution doesn't fit in to our Hyperconverge server project this year, and we're either going forward without it or we're nixing the entire project. Of my main points, one is that they designed the switch infrastructure last year without the server distribution layer and if they say it's required now, they made a huge mistake and we're not paying this year to cover their fuckup.