Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

vandalism posted:

They used to have books that corresponded to sets. I liked the ones I read. They do that anymore?

No, it's all online now: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/magic-story-archive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

They used to have books that corresponded to sets. I liked the ones I read. They do that anymore?

Mostly it's fanfic quality fiction published online now. Maro once wrote for Roseanne therefore it makes sense for internal WotC people to write Magic Fiction

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

vandalism posted:

you liked the old ravnica block books :stare:

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
unban ponder

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The Real Foogla posted:

The books truly put the "fat" in fat pack :colbert:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Henron posted:

unban ponder

This but unironically and only once I buy 1000 Ponders.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GimmickMan posted:

Something else happened between Sorin and Nahiri to make things worse during the timeskip. She was missing for hundreds of years, including the Zendikar and BfZ storylines, and turned into an insane cultist in the meantime. It can't just be the Eldrazi thing since Sorin has demonstrated more initiative in stopping the Eldrazi after RoE (even though he didn't do much more than contact Ugin and tell him 'we should find Nahiri, btw she hates me now') than Nahiri herself.

Well she is running around with Red mana now along with her regular white. Which is exactly how Avacyn works now going from a White Angel to a Red one. Related? Coincidental? It might be about the Vampires that were on Zendikar, since Zendikar hadn't seen Vampires since forever until those ones showed up.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I played around 2001 and read the Urza stuff. There was one about a guy called Kerrick who got stuck in a big time rift and built up an army. I seem to remember also reading one from the invasion cycle with Gerard and the weather light getting owned.

Rip magic books.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I gotta say I liked the previous sealed format better. This one feels super swingy. Hopefully draft is better.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

I gotta say I liked the previous sealed format better. This one feels super swingy. Hopefully draft is better.

Can you think of a set where the sealed format was better than the draft format?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Can you think of a set where the sealed format was better than the draft format?

M15. But the same things that make the sealed format swingy here are going to also be in draft like Heir into Youths and you just die.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
It seems like a very synergy-based set, which will inherently make sealed boring / disappointing and draft likely to be a blast. Core sets are probably the only sets that lend themselves to being decent sealed environments thanks to the pure vanilla stand-alone quality of the cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

It seems like a very synergy-based set, which will inherently make sealed boring / disappointing and draft likely to be a blast. Core sets are probably the only sets that lend themselves to being decent sealed environments thanks to the pure vanilla stand-alone quality of the cards.

Right but the thing that made the last set fun was that there was so much play to it because there wasn't really any good beatdown decks. That isn't the case here.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Friendly reminder that very shortly the B&R lists get updated.

I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Real Foogla posted:

Agrus Kos was the best main character of any mtg book because he was so rightfully pissed off at everyone else on the plane being a complete moron.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I hear they are doing a B&R update today. This is just a reminder. It is weird that nobody else is talking about this.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Yawgmoth posted:

Agrus Kos was the best main character of any mtg book because he was so rightfully pissed off at everyone else on the plane being a complete moron.

I thought that book series was good enough. Fantasy setting buddy cop story

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I expect that modern will be ruined/saved/kept the same due to spite.

People will bitch about it no matter what.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

And all he got for trying to fix it was dead.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I predict that my beloved Fish will remain untouched and continue to be tier 1.5 because It Is Known.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

I hear they are doing a B&R update today. This is just a reminder. It is weird that nobody else is talking about this.

Because everyone already knows eldrazi is dead.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Because everyone already knows eldrazi is dead.

Well yeah Chandra burned them.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Molybdenum posted:

I thought that book series was good enough. Fantasy setting buddy cop story

They were basically just knockoff Discworld books, which means they were all right, really.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Sickening posted:

There's not really anything to say beforehand.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mehall posted:

I will be very surprised if there is a banning for a card that is premier in a non-Eldrazi deck.
I mean it's the most glaring example of the silver bullet problem most people have with Modern. It's probably not really that much less powerful than Eldrazi other than the fact that it scoops instantly to certain cards out of the board.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

There's not really anything to say beforehand.

I thought the sarcasm was obvious but goons say things like this. :wtc:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I can't wait until they finally fix modern!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Logicblade posted:

I can't wait until they finally fix modern!

This is what people actually believe.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I predict that my beloved Fish will remain untouched and continue to be tier 1.5 because It Is Known.

Playing decks in modern that aren't tier 1 is the best way to play modern imo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

And all he got for trying to fix it was dead.
And they couldn't even get that right because he stuck around as a ghost!

I hope he comes back just to hang around Jace, constantly telling him he sucks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

And they couldn't even get that right because he stuck around as a ghost!

I hope he comes back just to hang around Jace, constantly telling him he sucks.

He's like a vengeful spirit except he's just grumpy instead.

Agrus Kos: Grumpy Ghost.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Yawgmoth posted:

I like the concept behind Tibor And Lumia well enough but the main takeaway from those books for me was that Wiz had a strong plot justification for making a legendary UR cyborg goblin lady card and deliberately chose not to. Though we did get a card of a significantly less important character from the same book in 2015, so I guess there's still a chance.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Eye of Ugin is banned.

Ancestral Vision is unbanned.

Sword of the Meek is unbanned.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sickening posted:

Eye of Ugin is banned.

Source? It's not up on the mothership.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-04-04

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-04-04

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sickening posted:

Eye of Ugin is banned.

That is a very aggressive format shift if true, two never-before-seen cards into the pool at the same time? We still haven't even seen what Modern would've been like without Twin.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
...Okay I did not see the Ancestral Visions unban. I mean, it makes sense - the card doesn't do anything, since you're probably dead by the time you get to cast it, but still.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Jenx posted:

...Okay I did not see the Ancestral Visions unban. I mean, it makes sense - the card doesn't do anything, since you're probably dead by the time you get to cast it, but still.

It's probably mutually-exclusive with Bloodbraid Elf, when you can't cast it for free it's a lot less powerful. This also means that if the unbanning works out for them, BBE is gone for good. :(

Edit: I actually kind of hope this jacks up the price of Vision so Shardless becomes less popular and I can pick up judge foil Agents. I shouldn't be thinking that! #mtgfinance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Holy poo poo let's make Thopter Sword real again.

The Visions unban might bring about some more blue decks. Hopefully.

Edit: lol SCG is already sold out of Sword of the Meek.

• Locked thread