Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krazysigmarite
Jun 18, 2011

Grimdark.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Given Elminister's dumb lesbian shapechanging adventures and the dumb sex changing belt, I always imagined that transgender issues in Forgotten Realms would be one slightly awkward conversation with your local cleric away form being immediately fixed.

Hey cleric thanks for the creepy unsolicited life story, but why didn't you just buy a loving potion of sexchange? If my time during my teen years on Bioware's Neverwinter Nights multiplayer 'social' servers taught me anything...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, sorry, my rant about writing was about the novel. I am salty about SoD breaking the EE mods, but I am still going to buy it, just not install it until they are sorted out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

krazysigmarite posted:

The real question is if you kill the tranny cleric, does she drop the girdle of masculinity/femininity and how much xp does she give

edit: apparently no to the first question, and 2,000 XP to the second with no alignment penalties :smuggo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6nFM5GER8

"Tranny", nice

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Given Elminister's dumb lesbian shapechanging adventures and the dumb sex changing belt, I always imagined that transgender issues in Forgotten Realms would be one slightly awkward conversation with your local cleric away form being immediately fixed.

Not quite. Ed has gone on record as saying that there are plenty of queer characters in his Realms, and that editorial has prevented him from publishing anywhere near as many as he would like. That includes trans characters. Ed and the other long-time Realms writers have snuck in what they can. For example, Eric Boyd hid a trans character in Faiths and Pantheons.

We don't have details of transitioning in the Realms. We know it's a thing, and we know it takes some time from the above example, but we don't know how it happens. Neither the belt (a puerile transmisogynistic joke that isn't actually from the Realms) nor Elminster's time as Elmara (specifically echoing the myth of Tiresias) are representative of actual trans lives.

Personally, as a trans person, I think it's something a deity fixes for their worshippers. We know that deities do take steps to protect the health of their church, and deific intervention in people's lives is rare but not unheard of. I don't think you talk to a priest, you just pray to your patron deity hard enough, and it happens.

No matter what the answer is, the character in SoD is perfectly fine and canonically appropriate. It's an example of good representation and a good addition to the series.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Booyah, finished Durlag's Tower before the Nashkel Mines :D

Cheated my way through the chess match (SCS makes it ridiculous) but killed the demonknight legitimately. Weird that he's easier than chess :v:

When I go to Ulgoth's Beard, can I just hand off the dagger and go to Ice Island? That ambush is vicious when I don't have my buffs.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Apparently a beamdog dev released a tool to fix the mod issues.

Tried it, reinstalled things like bg1npc mod (hey, nonjoinable npcs with avatars is neat), and it seems to be working fairly well. The inevitable patch will probably break everything AGAIN but this seems to fix many issues.

http://www.scottbrooks.ca/modmerge/

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One of the main themes of the series is the struggle between how you identify yourself vs. how others perceive you.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pwnstar posted:

One of the main themes of the series is the struggle between how you identify yourself vs. how others perceive you.

I think the main themes are Murder/Death and Imprisonment.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

An interesting theme that was never touched upon in the series.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Actually the main theme is BGTHEME.acm

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Woolie Wool posted:

This is not the mod's fault. 2.0 will adjust difficulty down if you reload a save you've loaded a couple of times before because it's stupid, thinks you're frustrated, and wants to "help" you. If you were playing on Easy, this means Story Mode. Turn it off, be prepared to do so again (and again, and again). This is the worst thing they did for 2.0 and I hope they get rid of it.

When you load a save, watch the character portraits for the invulnerable icon. If it appears, the game auto-enabled Story Mode and you'll have to turn it off.

FYI everyone:

quote:

No, there is no Adaptive Difficulty system in Siege of Dragonspear.

The behavior that people are describing is caused by a bug which can lower the difficulty setting under certain circumstances, mostly related to loading an old, pre-SoD savegame. This bug is being investigated by our programming team and will be fixed.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50502/adaptive-difficulty

Happy to hear this because it was the one "change" that would have actively pissed me off.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 4, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

We can't talk about themes here, goons don't understand themes and they get angry about things they don't understand.

Bholder posted:

An interesting theme that was never touched upon in the series.

Did you like read a single line of dialogue when the word "Bhaalspawn" came up? Maybe things are different if you play an evil character but for a good character the tension between what people assume a Bhaalspawn is and what you actually are is constantly apparent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

We can't talk about themes here, goons don't understand themes and they get angry about things they don't understand.

Do they? I guess it depends where you post

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Holy poo poo the new Dragonspear UI is beautiful. Actually readable fonts! Clean lines with right angles! I hope someone ports it to BG2:EE.

Speaking of Dragonspear, now that Scott Brooks fixed SoD mod support, I'm wondering how I should play it, whether to install the very limited set of mods I played BG1 with and fill in the last gap in my old character's playthrough, or go mod crazy with BWS and roll a new character? I was actually going to do that in 1.3 and did the Candlekeep bit but the IWD2/Dragon Age/Pillars style weapon switching automatically makes 2.0 better.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So a question about SoD area: In the Temple of Bhaal you go to for some wardstone (or, in my case, because you were running around the wilderness exploring and happened upon it) there's a protruding wall just before the end-boss of the place with three interact-able alcoves with masks. What's the right order to click these in or whatever? I haven't noticed any hints to it anywhere and whatever order I try the third press always ends up with 'Nothing happens'. Since there's an obvious fake wall next to it I assume that's supposed to open when I get it right...

Man, I've found so many interactable objects so far I'm constantly paranoid about missing some. Especially since the interact cursor is so similar to the 'can't go here' one.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Insurrectionist posted:

So a question about SoD area: In the Temple of Bhaal you go to for some wardstone (or, in my case, because you were running around the wilderness exploring and happened upon it) there's a protruding wall just before the end-boss of the place with three interact-able alcoves with masks. What's the right order to click these in or whatever? I haven't noticed any hints to it anywhere and whatever order I try the third press always ends up with 'Nothing happens'. Since there's an obvious fake wall next to it I assume that's supposed to open when I get it right...

Man, I've found so many interactable objects so far I'm constantly paranoid about missing some. Especially since the interact cursor is so similar to the 'can't go here' one.

Did you find the secret note in the first dungeon? It tells you the code. Also are actually six spots you can interact with. You have 123 along the top row and 456 along the bottom.

If not: The code is 314.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Woolie Wool posted:

Holy poo poo the new Dragonspear UI is beautiful. Actually readable fonts! Clean lines with right angles! I hope someone ports it to BG2:EE.

Speaking of Dragonspear, now that Scott Brooks fixed SoD mod support, I'm wondering how I should play it, whether to install the very limited set of mods I played BG1 with and fill in the last gap in my old character's playthrough, or go mod crazy with BWS and roll a new character? I was actually going to do that in 1.3 and did the Candlekeep bit but the IWD2/Dragon Age/Pillars style weapon switching automatically makes 2.0 better.

It's in bg2ee already.
Can you go straight into SoD? I'm not sure I can be bothered with slogging through bg again.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

gender illusionist posted:

It's in bg2ee already.
Can you go straight into SoD? I'm not sure I can be bothered with slogging through bg again.

Yeah, you can jump straight in.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

Did you find the secret note in the first dungeon? It tells you the code. Also are actually six spots you can interact with. You have 123 along the top row and 456 along the bottom.

Mix your inspirations, make a mod to make it be 451.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Woolie Wool posted:

My dream list would be this one, going from bg1 to ToB. So if you do this soon, you should keep a record, Ill prolly want to follow your route :D

bg1 unfinished business
bg1 npc project
sc stratagems
bg1 romantic encounters
bg tweak anthology
house of sim tweak pack
super ultimate portrait pack

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I feel pretty stupid now because I thought it was just 3 alcoves :saddowns:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I had the same problem, its not very clear.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

gender illusionist posted:

It's in bg2ee already.

It's not, it's still using the lovely beta 2.0 record screen, black outlines (actually don't know if its my eyes but the outlines in SoD are much better and less blurry)

None of the SoD UI textures are there either, but that poo poo is easy to mod into bg2 unless they changed something, just make sure all the CHU files and the relevant UI MOS files are in the bg2ee override folder.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
There's a container right at the end of SoD...

in the part just when you're leaving baldur's gate, the tunnel area with slimes and a couple of crawlers. There's a rock with a keyhole. Presumably a key you would've gotten earlier in the game? What's in it? Where do you get this mysterious key?

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 4, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Siege of Dragonspear ending:
Oh gently caress off game, the villain is Belhifet from Icewind Dale, really? I kind of thought of the possibility, but I didn't expect it to actually happen.
And then the last part of the game is just Irenicus setting you up and gloating.

SoD would be so much better if Beamdog had just kept it as something that stands on its own, instead of, well this. Pretty sure Irenicus gets at least twice as much face time as Caelar, too, and there is never a reason to him revealing himself to you at all.
e: And Caelar's not a bad character, she could definitely stand among the other antagonists of the series if they'd just, you know, let her.

I still think SoD is okay overall, the fights are fun, the companions range from okay to good, but drat the main story can get dumb.

Another bitch on the way out, I placed the Barrel of BWOOSH right where you told me to game, acknowledge the loving barrel-placing and let me blow some poo poo up. :arghfist::mad:

Pwnstar posted:

I had the same problem, its not very clear.
I didn't even find the alcoves and just didn't bother with it.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 4, 2016

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
I haven't played SoD yet, but I'm curious about Minsc's infamous line. Can somebody post a screenshot or transcribe it? Thanks.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, attempt one. Ran the modmerge in the BGEE folder, no problems. Ran Unfinished Business in the same folder, and it said it couldn't find BG. Guess Ill wait and see what develops.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Nycticeius posted:

I haven't played SoD yet, but I'm curious about Minsc's infamous line. Can somebody post a screenshot or transcribe it? Thanks.

link

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Actually, anything that dunks on bitchbaby gamergaters is automatically good and extremely funny.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
The bad review score crowd have lost their minds over the wrong piece of writing. The trans cleric isn't the problem. The vampire hunters are the problem.

Their master plan is to wait until nightfall to attack the vampire they've been hunting. The vampire that's currently sleeping in a coffin 10 meters away. You can poke the sleeping vampire in his coffin all you want, but if you wanna kill it you gotta sleep until night and talk to the hunters to start an epic battle so you can chase the vampire back to the lair you were just standing in, so you can stake it in its coffin.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, that was dumb. At the time I had both Safana and Glint in my group, it's not like the traps were a problem. I guess finding a stake at short notice was impossible. In the forest.

Nycticeius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIw7VUCmpk
(Thanks, Codex weirdos.)

I never heard it throughout the entire campaign.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Wow. Dank stuff, indeed.

Thanks! That's the one? I thought it was something directed at the new trans character. That's an extra line, which you get in some IE games if you click the same character more than 10 times in a row.

Nycticeius fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 4, 2016

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

armoredgorilla posted:

Actually, anything that dunks on bitchbaby gamergaters is automatically good and extremely funny.

That's the thing, it doesn't "dunk" them or mention them at all, it just says the word "ethics" like it's instant comedy gold.

And I honestly wouldn't care if it weren't already done the exact same lazy way a million time already.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's 100% fitting and appropriate to have an overused meme on the overused meme character imo

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Nycticeius posted:

Thanks! That's the one? I thought it was something directed at the new trans character. That's an extra line, which you get in some IE games if you click the same character more than 10 times in a row.
Yeah, I figured it was either a rare select sound or some easter egg thing.

The trans cleric issue is just bizarrely blown out of proportion. Like, even if the existence of a trans character in a setting where magic can take care of that (just ask Edwin) offends you, the full extent to which it ever comes up is one line of character backstory you get when you ask her about her name. Mizhena, the character in question, is involved in two quests. I think. Maybe three? I don't remember, but she never plays a major role. None of these quests are even tangentially related to LGBT issues.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

quote:

If you're a writer at a game company and not the CEO or in any other executive position, and you still get to decide what to write about, there's something wrong with that company.

"You don't understand the real world" people always seem to be hilariously ignorant, I WONDER WHY

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bholder posted:

That's the thing, it doesn't "dunk" them or mention them at all, it just says the word "ethics" like it's instant comedy gold.

And I honestly wouldn't care if it weren't already done the exact same lazy way a million time already.

They are very mad about it to the point of flooding sites with lovely reviews. It was a hugely successful dunk whether you cared for it or not.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
There are so, so many recycled IWD assets. I don't mind terribly but it does kind of lend itself the xpac's whole "fan conversion with high production values" the game has.

Wizard Styles posted:

Siege of Dragonspear ending:
Oh gently caress off game, the villain is Belhifet from Icewind Dale, really? I kind of thought of the possibility, but I didn't expect it to actually happen.

This is extremely unsurprising given the above. Disappointing, but unsurprising nonetheless.

Also the controversial minsc line is an easter egg? Ofc i didn't hear it lol. It would have annoyed me to see a dumb meme that would get dated real quick as part of ingame dialogue, but as one of the selectable easter eggs? Those things are already non-canon, otherwise Jaheira's "Yes, omnipresent authority figure" and all of Tiax's simpsons quotes would raise some serious questions about the metaphysics of the world.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 4, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

insanityv2 posted:

There are so, so many recycled IWD assets. I don't mind terribly but it does kind of lend itself the xpac's whole "fan conversion with high production values" the game has.

This is extremely unsurprising given the above. Disappointing, but unsurprising nonetheless.
Yuuup. I was hopeful because they added the Neothelid sprite, and that was a cool boss, but no dice. It's fan service all the way to the end.
At least killing Belhifet in hell means that cockroach is stomped out for good. At least as far as my understanding of D&D lore goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Dear Infinity Engine Thread:

I was gifted the BG:EE games over the holidays and now with SOD/2.0 out I'm feeling like doing a FULL TRILOGY RUN.

For reference:
I am passingly familiar with the engine, I've played PST & BG2+TOB, but it's been a few years. I've never played BG,SOTSC.

Given that I'll be with the character a while i'm just curious if there are *obvious* things to avoid.

For instance, I read somewhere that archers are tremendous until TOB, where suddenly there is limited +3 ammo and basically no +4, so they become a 'clean up the summons' class?

That Wizard Slayer, despite the name, is actually pretty bad despite the mage-heavy nature of BG2/TOB?

I'm so out of touch with these games.