Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Larrymer posted:

Have you tuned for your intake? Isn't it a really bad idea to put them on Subarus without tuning your MAF curve?

Can't remember what the stock turbo and injectors are capable of, but I'd trust Jamal.

Yeah I've done maf scaling and my AFRs are spot on with my targets (both OL and CL). Frankly it runs quite well outside of not hitting boost targets. I probably shouldn't gently caress with it. I'd just like a bit more go if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Are you using the stock boost control solenoid and pill or a 3-port? Stock solenoid could also be part of your problem.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

jamal posted:

Are you using the stock boost control solenoid and pill or a 3-port? Stock solenoid could also be part of your problem.

Stock BCS and the pill. I'll have to look into a BCS

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My clutch was that gone that with the new one, I'm between 2-500rpm lower at a given speed.

lol what was I wating for no wonder my fuel usage was getting so terrible towards the end there. That dead afr sensor probably didn't help either. I was expecting it to be a little bit better but I'm halfway through a tank and I'm going to get 100-150km more than last tank did. I just thought something big in my engine had given up after 220k km, I'm keen to see if I can get back to 7.7 highway with new sparkplugs too.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 1, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Sadi posted:

Stock BCS and the pill. I'll have to look into a BCS

We used to have little bits of bronze and a precision drill bit set and make our own replacement pills. But if you're ever going to put a different turbo on there you might as well get a 3-port. I've always gone with the prodrive/hoa solenoid. Only down side is you'll have to completely re-do your BCS mapping.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 1, 2016

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think I plan on swapping turbo. I mostly use the car for rallycross so a quick spool is more important than big numbers to me. That's part of the reason I've been considering carberry and e85.

I do have a drill press and access to a lathe so I may try making my own pill as you suggest.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

saint gerald posted:

My 2007 STI decided to lunch a rear wheel bearing in spectacular fashion on the way into work this morning.

Replace with OEM or parts store garbage (which appears to be "National Wheel Taper Bearing")? Cost is not an issue, but time without the vehicle is a bit more of a problem.

Imagine my surprise when, upon attempting to break loose my axle nut, it turns out to be not even hand tight. Like, I removed it without even a wrench. I guess that accounts for the failure, the rapid and catastrophic nature of the failure, that odd clunking sound I thought was struts, and maybe even the abs light being intermittently on recently. gently caress.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
On reflection, that's not so bad. It means that as long as the other axle nut is tight (it is) then no need to replace the bearing on that side immediately.

I have the hub/housing assembly off now. It actually isn't as much of an abortion as I thought it would be. The bearing is still in one piece which considering the noise it made is quite a surprise. I take it any play between the hub and the housing indicates bad bearings?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Sadi posted:

I don't think I plan on swapping turbo. I mostly use the car for rallycross so a quick spool is more important than big numbers to me. That's part of the reason I've been considering carberry and e85.

I do have a drill press and access to a lathe so I may try making my own pill as you suggest.

A good polished/ported turbo sized like VF48 or 16g will probably make better numbers at all equivalent RPMs. However you need new injectors, fuel pump, all that jazz to support.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So in our 2016 wrx premium with 750 miles: opened the passenger door today after some rain and maybe a 1/4 cup of water drained out the bottom of the door. To the dealer for warranty?

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So in our 2016 wrx premium with 750 miles: opened the passenger door today after some rain and maybe a 1/4 cup of water drained out the bottom of the door. To the dealer for warranty?

Yeah, that's really odd. So the rain seeped in through the window and collected in the doorframe? And then when you opened, it drained out the door itself? Or was it inside your car?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My parents have been complaining about that very same thing in their crosstrek.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Seems like an electrical problem waiting to happen.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That's weird, same thing just happened this week on my 2012 Impreza. First time after 4 years though.

I moved recently and my new driveway is on an incline if that matters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

I moved recently and my new driveway is on an incline if that matters.

My parents' driveway is also on an incline.

si
Apr 26, 2004
FWIW - not really a new thing. My dad had a 1999 Legacy that had this issue, and a 1989(?) XT6 which also had it. Never caused any issues on the XT, but the Legacy eventually rusted a support and the bottom of the door and caused the electric controls in the door to fail.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I'm back with video of the weird sound from a few weeks ago. Right after I posted someone ran into my fender in a parking lot so my car was in the body shop for a few weeks. I also installed a boost gauge to try and correlate what was happening. Listening to it more I don't think it's compressor surge but I don't really know.

You may need to turn up the audio to really hear the noise. It's a lot louder in the car compared to the video.

This first video you can hear it pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5j8IywixQI

In the second I grab the boost gauge as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7n2CW0kNos

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
My 16 Base WRX does the same thing. Southern California so it won't dribble water very often or very much... I am curious now if this is something to get fixed or working as expected?

Bogatyr fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 3, 2016

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

pctD posted:

spooky noises

All I can hear is road noise and exhaust drone picked up by your camera :confused:

barracudal
Apr 1, 2016
I've had the front fender liners sag and get ripped out on my 2010 STI from water collecting. The long plastic body piece below the door also collects quite a bid of water. Same thing happened on my old RS although with that one every once in awhile the water would make its way inside to the carpet. Didn't have issues with rust or anything at the time but it was annoying. Who knows now though if that thing is still on the road.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

McSpatula posted:

All I can hear is road noise and exhaust drone picked up by your camera :confused:

It specifically happens after lifting off the throttle. It's kinda faint in the video but it's there. Sort of like a high pitch whistle/rattle.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Saw an XV yesterday, all blacked out, with one of those enormous [HOONIGAN] decals across the entire rear.

There somethin going on with these or was this pure rice? Reviews seem super lukewarm across the board. i'm still new to the subie world and don't really get why these exist

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hoonigan is the new Monster as far as fanboism goes.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Just make sure your drain holes aren't blocked like mine were (on my 05). I'm going to need a new passenger door at some point because the bottom of its rusty as hell.

If you are on an incline, there's a chance the water probably couldn't drain properly. Also don't make mdf speaker mounts like my PO did.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

Saw an XV yesterday, all blacked out, with one of those enormous [HOONIGAN] decals across the entire rear.

There somethin going on with these or was this pure rice? Reviews seem super lukewarm across the board. i'm still new to the subie world and don't really get why these exist

Well an XV is pretty much just a lifted Impreza, so it's possible it could have had some legitimate performance mods, but probably just rice and "COBB STAGE 1 BRO"

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My favourite is seeing that poo poo on the new foresters. They just look so boaty, like they are going to capsize at the thought of a track day.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
As a prior XV owner I have to say the whole partial batmobile look was definitely a factor in purchasing it. Having said that, even as a 5 speed, that thing has absolutely zero balls.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

literally a fish posted:

Well an XV is pretty much just a lifted Impreza, so it's possible it could have had some legitimate performance mods, but probably just rice and "COBB STAGE 1 BRO"

They're NA only in the US, so unlikely.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

nm posted:

They're NA only in the US, so unlikely.

Worst, only get the 2.0l so extra neutered.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The XV is the logical successor to my old Impreza Outback Sport.

Take Impreza, add ride height, drive over curbs and small jersey barriers to take a few minutes off your daily commute. Put a skid plate on it and thrash with impunity.

Best car I ever owned.

barracudal
Apr 1, 2016
The Crosstrek is fine until you start comparing it to what else is out there for a similar price considering it's just an impreza that sits higher up.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The XV is the logical successor to my old Impreza Outback Sport.

Take Impreza, add ride height, drive over curbs and small jersey barriers to take a few minutes off your daily commute. Put a skid plate on it and thrash with impunity.

Best car I ever owned.

If they released an XV WRX with a six-speed and about 250-ish horsepower, I'd buy one tomorrow. Cash.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

If they released an XV WRX with a six-speed and about 250-ish horsepower, I'd buy one tomorrow. Cash.

Yeah, Subaru needs to do a new version of the Gravel Express.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Me also.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, count me in as well. It would be something different and would match the use case of when I drive the WRX over the BRZ better.

I've been watching to see if they make a hot version of the Renegade for similar reasons.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

um excuse me posted:

So I've decided to upgrade my 2015 WRX's head unit.

I just upgraded the stereo in my '15 Forester XT to a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. Wiring etc is identical. I've got two little issues right now and I'm curious to see how you've fared with these things.

1). Reverse Camera: I want to get the picture from the little 4" Multi-Function Display (MFD) to appear on my Pioneer unit. This is easily achievable by piggybacking off the video signal pins from the MFD - this gives me the picture but I have to select it manually. So what I'm having difficulty with is the reverse signal - the pin referred to in the link below doesn't output anything I've been able to detect with a multimeter. I am really wanting to avoid running a signal wire all the way back to the reverse lamp if I can avoid it - so if anyone knows a way to find a reverse signal that can be located from behind the dash of a 2012+ Impreza platform Subaru I'd really appreciate it.

I'll take some photos of my piggybacking today so you can at least get the camera signal to an RCA and connect it to the video input.

All of the information I found about the reverse camera is from this thread on subaruforester.org. The poster got his RCA hookup connected by wiring directly into the pins on the MFD, which is something I don't particularly want to do.

e: I did try using a fuse tap on fuse #18 (reverse lights). It just provided power all the time.

2). Hiss: I have a very slight (barely noticeable) hiss emanating from my speakers at all times, so I'm sure I have to re-check my grounds. What's strange though is that I am using the same ground as the factory stereo did. Are you having any hiss issues?

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 5, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't touch the reverse camera. To me, the OEM location is better than putting it where the head unit is. You can still see out the front of the vehicle in your periphery. I also try not to make a habit to use it for actual reverse driving because "check your surroundings, etc". However I found this video which would probably be useful for such a conversion. This guy bought harnesses to adapt everything. It includes a reverse switch wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L7vRqlAkuE

I do not have a hiss in my speakers. I would take a multi meter to your connections and make sure everything has a nice low resistance path. Ground should have absolutely no resistance.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

"
If you receive a customer concern of a creak or popping-type sound heard when depressing the clutch pedal, there is a possibility the spot weld(s) attaching the clutch pedal bracket to the bulkhead and / or a pedal bracket mounting tab may be broken. The result is increased flexing of the pedal bracket and / or bulkhead which can cause the sound to occur. Our investigation has revealed that although the condition is infrequent, it typically occurs as a result of vehicle modifications (e.g. aftermarket racing clutches), competitive driving or vehicle abuse. The photos below show examples of broken cowl area spot welds and a cracked pedal bracket mounting tab spot weld."

gently caress you, Subaru. I am in none of those categories and I was able to confirm that I've got popped spot welds today and likely have for about 80,000 mi. Looks like I'll be bolting the bracket while my wife recovers from foot surgery so I can use her car to get around. Also, there's a TSB about timing belt tensioners failing and seeping oil. I wonder if that's where my just-under-threshold amounts of oil have been disappearing for 100k mi.

Are there any brick and mortar stores that might carry the T70 torx bit for gear oil changes? Home Depot and Lowe's don't have them, but I haven't checked car places.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Harbor Freight may have a T70. I think I got mine from amazon prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Harbor Freight may have a T70. I think I got mine from amazon prime.

gently caress, I always forget to check there. I should get a metal bit for drilling the spot welds, too. Does anyone happen to have a link handy for one of the photo guides for replacing the welds with bolts? I had found a few when I first heard about this issue, but I can't find any now. Found it.

carticket fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 8, 2016