Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Business Gorillas posted:

idk what the hell you're going to do with fantasy though because they so completely and entirely poisoned the well on that one idk how you even begin to start repairing the damage you've done to your own brand.

This right here is the problem. People are actually leaving 40k because of how badly AoS was botched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

This right here is the problem. People are actually leaving 40k because of how badly AoS was botched.

Not to mention what do you do with all the round based models? They won't exactly rank into regiments.

The new sculpts don't look like they will work well in tight formations either. Only so many T-Pose slayers can go base to base.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

im wondering if it would be worth it to make a new hams thread for all of the jabronis that'll come over to this thread when total war comes out

"What would be the point? It is known: video-gamers never convert over to table-top games. Now release another box of golden man-babies!"

- Kevin D. Rountree, yesterday

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i'd actually commit to making a seriouspost OP about barbies in their current state if we wanted to make a new thread to warn off the video game babies

edit: i think i was going to do this before but then the Great GBS Shitposter Purge happened and i stopped posting for like 3-4 months

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

i'd be willing to argue that everyone who wouldn't tolerate it already got chased away by the inclusion of superheavies, flyers, and ballooning army size in the first place.

That's why I stopped, so, yeah.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Penny Arcade is probably the prime example of two guys who had no idea what they were doing at the birth of a new industry who got insanely lucky because someone who actually knew what they were doing took over. Imagine if an honest to god business manager had approached Gary Gygax, told him he wouldn't gently caress with the content, but would happily make sure it got marketed to the right people. Games Workshop has even less of an excuse because as someone mentioned, the people running the company actually do have business credentials. How they're running the company is absolute madness.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

Penny Arcade is probably the prime example of two guys who had no idea what they were doing at the birth of a new industry who got insanely lucky because someone who actually knew what they were doing took over.

I remember that they very nearly literally signed the rights to their comic over to some gaming news aggregate back in the day, GameSpy or something like that.

As for TSR, well:

quote:

Gary Gygax, co-inventor of the role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons and partner in the company TSR, had been sent to Hollywood in 1982 to work on licensing the Dungeons & Dragons brand, leaving the day-to-day operations of TSR to his fellow board members, Kevin and Brian Blume. While in Hollywood, he was involved in the making of the Dungeons & Dragons animated television show and exploring the possibility of a film adaptation of the game. In the course of his work, Gygax met Flint Dille, with whom he collaborated on a series of choose-your-own-adventure-type novels and a script for an unmade Dungeons & Dragons film. In 1984, Gygax was alerted to the fact that TSR was $1.5 million in debt and the Blumes were looking for a buyer. In an attempt to bring new investment money into the company, Gygax asked Flint Dille to arrange a meeting with his sister, Lorraine Williams.

Although Williams turned down Gygax's invitation to invest in TSR, Gygax did hire her, on the basis of her management experience, to manage TSR. Williams was able to deal with TSR's creditors and get money flowing back into the company again. Gygax subsequently engineered the removal of Kevin Blume as CEO and the removal of three of Blume's friends from the board as well but, in an act many saw as retaliation, the Blumes soon sold their stock to Williams, making her the majority shareholder. Gygax tried to fire Williams and replace her with his future wife, Gail Carpenter, but was advised not to. Gygax tried to have the sale of stock declared illegal; after that failed, Gygax sold his remaining stock to Williams and left TSR at the end of 1985. Williams formally took over TSR in 1986.

So to his credit, Gygax was apparently savvy enough to look to hire someone on to handle the business side of things, however Gygax was apparently also prone to being a big stupid rear end in a top hat (see also him loving Dave Arneson out of royalties by claiming that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons was "significantly different" enough to not merit the promised payments) and so the moral of the story is that you can have all the right ideas and still make terrible decisions. Unfortunately Games Workshop doesn't have the right ideas and they routinely make terrible decisions.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

quote:

Games Workshop once had this to say regarding Warhammer:

quote:

The Warhammer world is rich with history and legend, aeons of bloodshed and conflict have shaped both its surface and its denizens into a world of relentless battle. It is the battleground between the forces of Order and Destruction, where vast armies clash in mighty battles with the fate of the world hanging in the balance.

Many races wage war upon the face of world, each fighting for a different cause or purpose. Some fight for freedom and the safety of their citizens, some for the joy of slaughter or to slake an insatiable thirst for carnage. Others do battle for the entertainment of the Dark Gods, seeking the enslavement of all mortals.

Warhammer is the Game of Fantasy Battles, a thrilling test of tactical skill and strategy. Warhammer is far more than just a game though, it's also an absorbing hobby where you can collect, model and paint armies of exquisite miniatures.

Getting started in the Warhammer hobby might seem daunting, but you'll quickly find that after a game or two, and a little while painting it's a compelling and enjoyable pastime - a sociable and engaging hobby. To find out more, and learn how to get started for yourself, read on.

While Warhammer had its faults, it was a game we played. Maybe we played it because we were deep into the setting complete with decades of world-building, were too stubborn to abandon the game of our youths, preferred the "crunch" and randomness of unpredictable moments, or simply uninformed as to what else was out there. The only thing that matters now is that Warhammer on the tabletop is dead. After being the premiere fantasy battle game for decades, it died a brutal death full of bad rules and worse writing.

This thread is less of a gaming thread and more of a memorial to things that once were with lots of bitter grumbling to what things have become.

WHAT HAPPENED?
(Short explanation of what happened during the end times goes here)

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
(The army snapshots from the original OP would go here as well as some explanation as to what happened to them in the End Times and where they are now in AoS)

FINDING A FANTASY GAME THAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU
(Links to other threads, the 9th Age, etc)

idk its pretty bare bones but i'll put some effort into it if we want to make it an actual thing

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

That's why I stopped, so, yeah.

We've actually progressed to a point where people are warning prospective players to get out before it's too late.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Budget anklosaur here:
https://omgtech.com.au/collections/games-workshop
45 bucks

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Avenging Dentist posted:

We've actually progressed to a point where people are warning prospective players to get out before it's too late.

I used to have a fairly regular group of eight or so people who'd play 40k and Fantasy.

No one's played or even talked about it since AoS dropped.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

i'd actually commit to making a seriouspost OP about barbies in their current state if we wanted to make a new thread to warn off the video game babies

edit: i think i was going to do this before but then the Great GBS Shitposter Purge happened and i stopped posting for like 3-4 months

I don't think there's that much demand for a new OP, the Total Warhammer thread warns people about the current state of Warhammer regularly enough.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

While Warhammer had its faults, it was a game we played. Maybe we played it because we were deep into the setting complete with decades of world-building, were too stubborn to abandon the game of our youths, preferred the "crunch" and randomness of unpredictable moments, or simply uninformed as to what else was out there. The only thing that matters now is that Warhammer on the tabletop is dead. After being the premiere fantasy battle game for decades, it died a brutal death full of bad rules and worse writing.

This thread is less of a gaming thread and more of a memorial to things that once were with lots of bitter grumbling to what things have become.

WHAT HAPPENED?
(Short explanation of what happened during the end times goes here)

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
(The army snapshots from the original OP would go here as well as some explanation as to what happened to them in the End Times and where they are now in AoS)

FINDING A FANTASY GAME THAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU
(Links to other threads, the 9th Age, etc)

idk its pretty bare bones but i'll put some effort into it if we want to make it an actual thing
[/quote]

I'd say put the "FINDING A FANTASY GAME THAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU" at first. It's clearly the most important one and should be on the starting screen.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TKIY posted:

Not to mention what do you do with all the round based models? They won't exactly rank into regiments.

The largest Fantasy tournament in South Australia has this year turned into the largest KoW tournament in South Australia, it was announced today, I don't think the round bases are going to survive.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 4, 2016

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is "not bad" compared to other Mantic stuff? I'm almost afraid to look around:

I meant compared to the other elves (the shittiest models they make) :v

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I still don't know how this gets released.

It's better to not have anything at all than that since all it does is make people associate your entire company with trash. When Fantasy was still actually a thing about six years ago, I talked to people about Kings of War and models like these were always brought up as one of the reasons that they didn't want to start and honestly who can blame them? Who wants to spend money on a product that ugly and when you are an up and coming company you don't have the benefit of people knowing that the rest of your stuff looks better.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
those drags are cute :3

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They're out of production, but Mantic still managed to send me one on accident.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
why is the middle dragon wearing a beret?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

those drags are cute :3

:agreed:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The rider is holding his helm.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Radish posted:

I still don't know how this gets released.

It's better to not have anything at all than that since all it does is make people associate your entire company with trash. When Fantasy was still actually a thing about six years ago, I talked to people about Kings of War and models like these were always brought up as one of the reasons that they didn't want to start and honestly who can blame them? Who wants to spend money on a product that ugly and when you are an up and coming company you don't have the benefit of people knowing that the rest of your stuff looks better.

Those look fine for 15mm models. They are 15mm, right?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Because it is very cultured, that's why.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Mantic are also charging more for their lame big demon guy than GW do for their awesome plastic kit. Those drakons are apparently not so bad in a different colour scheme but their dwarfs and elves in general are just loving terrible, I really like some of their other armies though - ogres, goblins and some of the Abyssal stuff especially. the new naiads look like they might be great with a less awful colour scheme too.

Loving the KoW battle reports, they've got me jonesing to finally play it. One day.

V why is he trying to slam dunk his helmet?

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 4, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's a terrible model. Why did he take his helmet off? The world may never know.

But it did inspire me to make my own take on a Drakon Rider.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Saint Drogo posted:

Mantic are also charging more for their lame big demon guy than GW do for their awesome plastic kit.

Resin isn't cheap, and Mantic don't have the demand to make anything other than mass line infantry in hard plastic. That's why they don't make a lot of really big kits, just that, and the dual use Greater Obsidian Golem/Greater Earth Elemental. Even the new Dragon is primarily meant for Dungeon Saga, with alternate head options so it can be used in Basilean, Elf, or Abyssal Dwarf armies for KoW, and it's made in boardgame plastic (PVC). They've pretty much accepted that most people are either going to buy cheap but effective Reaper Bones, or expensive boutique stuff like Mierce, Creature Caster, etc for the big monsters.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I like that demon model

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm all for the new thread, but I don't think anyone coming here from Total Warhammer would possibly be interested enough in Age of Sigmar to fork over the dough/energy/time for it. At least I hope not.

I kind of want to go to the dollar store, buy a bunch of cheap cheap toys, and build a tabletop gaming experience around it using nothing but six sided die and imagination.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I like that demon model

It was made to fit the tails and pitchforks aesthetic of the Mantic abyssals, as most of the alternatives out there are either in the style of GW Demons, or something else. The Abyssals aren't really my thing, but I can see how it fits with the rest of them. Greater Obsidian Golem was created for much the same reason, it's a scaled up cousin to their existing Lesser Golems. Getting dual useout of the body with arm and head swaps as an elemntal was just a bonus.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 4, 2016

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Saint Drogo posted:

Those drakons are apparently not so bad in a different colour scheme but their dwarfs and elves in general are just loving terrible, I really like some of their other armies though - ogres, goblins and some of the Abyssal stuff especially. the new naiads look like they might be great with a less awful colour scheme too.

I have a bunch of their dwarfs from the old two-player box set and they're acceptable, if a bit plain. They don't have the more distinct "dwarfy" look like GW has/had for their line, but they also aren't walking beards with helmets. I wouldn't call them hideous or anything, unlike the elves which are just terrible.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I like that demon model

Same. It reminds me of TSR-era devils Baatezu, which has a certain old-school goofy charm.

Edit:

quote:

Mantic are also charging more for their lame big demon guy than GW do for their awesome plastic kit

Which plastic kit are you talking about? Because the GW Bloodthirster is $115, whereas Mantic's is $50. For the size you get it's the cheaper option by more than half.

Comparatively, you can get two different kinds of winged devils from Reaper for almost a fifth the cost of Mantic. Heck, you could even get this guy who would be roughly the same size as the Abyssal Fiend, minus a pair of wings.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 4, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I like that demon model

same he looks like diablo :D

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I'm really impressed with their Undead stuff too, they're really nice looking with my only issue being that most of the torsos having the heads and arms pre-attached makes repetition a problem. The skeletons have more possible combinations but the Ghouls and Zombies have very few possible variations.

Same problem with the Dwarves and even though they can be easily mixed with the other Dwarf sprues in the range most of the heads and torsos are the same across the different units.

Luckily there are a lot of other decent miniature manufacturers these days that seem to have sprung up during my last few years absence that can be easily thrown into the mix e.g. Wrath of Kings, Avatars of War, Frostgrave, Godslayer etc... all make some nice 28mm-30mm miniatures that bring a bit of nice variation to armies and usually for a lot less :10bux:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Plus Reaper makes good centerpiece models. I don't mind having a bunch of boring rank and file stuff if I can have a few things to stand out.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

Comparatively, you can get two different kinds of winged devils from Reaper for almost a fifth the cost of Mantic. Heck, you could even get this guy who would be roughly the same size as the Abyssal Fiend, minus a pair of wings.

Yeah, but then you're working with a material with a very real chance of completely ruining your model if you end up using the wrong varnish on it. The number of times I've seen this brought up in the painting thread makes me extremely hesitant to put any real effort into a Bones model. I'd rather spend more money in exchange for having a better material to work with. (Besides, the Mantic demon looks like he's about the same size as a GW Lord of Change. The GW Bloodthirster's gotta be like twice the size, so that's not really a fair comparison.)

I honestly don't get why people like Mantic models. A few of their undead are ok, but everyone and their mother can do decent undead. Even if you suck at sculpting you can just say, "Oh well they're undead so that's why they look lovely and expressionless and kinda melty." People always bring up their necromancer as an example of a really great mini:

And while they're right, it's not a bad mini, I don't see why I'd rather have it than this dude, who costs £1 less but has £10 more character:

For that matter, why not roll with this awesome demon which you can buy for £25 (£5 less than Mantic) without the accessories:

Ok, sure he doesn't have wings, but who would argue with that dude? He rules!

About the only thing that Mantic does well is providing large numbers of basic infantry in a decent material for a low price. That's not nothing, but there's no good reason to buy their character models.

(Both the non-Mantic figures above are from Otherworld Miniatures if you want to buy some.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 4, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I am pretty sure that's based on cover art from a 2ed D&D cover :3:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, but then you're working with a material with a very real chance of completely ruining your model if you end up using the wrong varnish on it. The number of times I've seen this brought up in the painting thread makes me extremely hesitant to put any real effort into a Bones model. I'd rather spend more money in exchange for having a better material to work with. (Besides, the Mantic demon looks like he's about the same size as a GW Lord of Change. The GW Bloodthirster's gotta be like twice the size, so that's not really a fair comparison.)

I honestly don't get why people like Mantic models. A few of their undead are ok, but everyone and their mother can do decent undead. Even if you suck at sculpting you can just say, "Oh well they're undead so that's why they look lovely and expressionless and kinda melty." People always bring up their necromancer as an example of a really great mini:

And while they're right, it's not a bad mini, I don't see why I'd rather have it than this dude, who costs £1 less but has £10 more character:

For that matter, why not roll with this awesome demon which you can buy for £25 (£5 less than Mantic) without the accessories:

Ok, sure he doesn't have wings, but who would argue with that dude? He rules!

(Both the non-Mantic figures above are from Otherworld Miniatures if you want to buy some.)

Totally agree on the character models and one off monsters but their plastic line troops are pretty decent and a total bargain compared to anything else I've come across. For 49 of the queens finest pounds I managed to get 20 skeletons, 20 zombies, 20 ghouls, 30 dwarves, 1 cannon, a rulebook and a metal necromancer (a different one than the one you posted and I can't find him on Mantic's site).

While they're not super amazingly detailed and as you say a skeleton, zombie and ghoul are pretty standard fantasy fair they're at least on par with GW's equivalents, the dwarves not so much.

I hate to think how many vital organs it would take to get that much stuff from the Vampire Counts range let alone the "Free Dwarf's/Dwarves". Like you say there are a lot of companies making better looking miniatures but for rank and file plastic blocks I've not seen anything close to the same $ per model at that quality.

GW plastic fantasy Zombies are 17.50 (http://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/warhammer-fantasy/vampire-counts/zombie-regiment) for 20 and look like this:

Mantic's are 22.50 ( http://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/fantasy-miniatures-games/kings-of-war/undead/zombie-swarm-40- ) for 40 and look like this:

Neither are amazing models but I'd take the mantic ones over the GW ones and you get twice the amount for a similar price which I think is why people are raving about them, especially when coming from a history of GW purchases.

The character models are pretty meh and for the same price most companies make better versions. In fact I grabbed the AoW Vampire for that reason.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I am pretty sure that's based on cover art from a 2ed D&D cover :3:

Yeah, it's intentional (although it's actually first ed AD&D). Otherworld does old-school D&D figures. They even do pig-nosed Orcs!

richyp posted:

Totally agree on the character models and one off monsters but their plastic line troops are pretty decent and a total bargain compared to anything else I've come across. For 49 of the queens finest pounds I managed to get 20 skeletons, 20 zombies, 20 ghouls, 30 dwarves, 1 cannon, a rulebook and a metal necromancer (a different one than the one you posted and I can't find him on Mantic's site).

While they're not super amazingly detailed and as you say a skeleton, zombie and ghoul are pretty standard fantasy fair they're at least on par with GW's equivalents, the dwarves not so much.

Yeah, their line infantry are serviceable and in the case of undead, they're clearly the better choice, especially if you need a lot of them. I'm not too keen on their other factions, but I also don't need a ton of minis since I like skirmish stuff.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 4, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Slimnoid posted:

I have a bunch of their dwarfs from the old two-player box set and they're acceptable, if a bit plain. They don't have the more distinct "dwarfy" look like GW has/had for their line, but they also aren't walking beards with helmets. I wouldn't call them hideous or anything, unlike the elves which are just terrible.

Same. It reminds me of TSR-era devils Baatezu, which has a certain old-school goofy charm.

Edit:

Which plastic kit are you talking about? Because the GW Bloodthirster is $115, whereas Mantic's is $50. For the size you get it's the cheaper option by more than half.

I assume he talking about the Demon Prince

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Daemon-Prince-2016

It's actually a pretty good kit for the price. Plus there's a decent amount of options so that with $5 a bitz from eBay will actually hook you up with two demons for less than Mantic's.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Avenging Dentist posted:

I honestly don't get why people like Mantic models.

You are mostly correct. They do make a great game though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like the Mantic Archfiend a lot, but the Bones not-Balrog scratches the same itch and comes in much, much cheaper.

• Locked thread