Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

keykey posted:

ATF/acetone works well too, that's my goto for getting rid of rust on bolts if I don't have a parts cleaner handy. The shelf life of a bottle is limited though because the acetone kills the spray mechanism.

This is why I use one of those little oiler cans. Seems to be holding up after 1.5+ years. You can't spray with it but it does what I need it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

literally a fish posted:

If any of you remember the time lapse test thing I did in mid-February, I've made it a youtube channel and posted all months up to March now;

Here's march;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A680uCliB-E

Forgot to say, thank you for this.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
April chat thread?

Are we sure its April?

Needless to say I was not able to drive it to work today. I attempted driving on my street, but 315mm in the rear (:thatswhatshesaid:) and hockey puck summer tires in the front do not make for a comforting ride.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Jared592 posted:

I've been researching sheds lately and most seem to have an option to build one for you in a custom size of your choosing.

I've looked at this, but I can get a 10x13 metal shed for £280, I doubt a custom build of a smaller shed would come close to that :(

Quality doesn't have to be great as it will only be temporary.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

so apparently the hot new trend is texting while skateboarding. right as I was about to pass between a pair of bollards, this dipshit not paying attention decided he had to pass through the exact same opening, even after finally looking up and making eye contact with me. if id been a couple mph faster I would have plowed over him, as it was I had to swerve while the two of us were in a 2-3 foot space; i lost balance and had to stop, and he fell forward and walked off the board which rolled downhill into the back of my ankle.

i'm loving looking everywhere when i'm moving even slightly faster than foot traffic how the gently caress do you just check out while on something where you actively have to maintain balance

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cage posted:

April chat thread?

Are we sure its April?

Needless to say I was not able to drive it to work today. I attempted driving on my street, but 315mm in the rear (:thatswhatshesaid:) and hockey puck summer tires in the front do not make for a comforting ride.

Fuckin' :lol:. Woke up to the same bullshit on Saturday but not quite as much. We had some loving bonkers weather all drat day. It was like Spring storms that like to roll through and pour rain for 5 or 10 minutes, but it was snow instead. It'd go from bright and sunny to about 1/8th mile visibility through blowing snow and then back to bright and sunny. Did that poo poo all day Saturday and then Sunday was a loving peach with lights winds and about 70 degrees. We're back in the 30s and 40s today.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Enourmo posted:

so apparently the hot new trend is texting while skateboarding. right as I was about to pass between a pair of bollards, this dipshit not paying attention decided he had to pass through the exact same opening, even after finally looking up and making eye contact with me. if id been a couple mph faster I would have plowed over him, as it was I had to swerve while the two of us were in a 2-3 foot space; i lost balance and had to stop, and he fell forward and walked off the board which rolled downhill into the back of my ankle.

i'm loving looking everywhere when i'm moving even slightly faster than foot traffic how the gently caress do you just check out while on something where you actively have to maintain balance

You didn't hurt yourself when you stomped his board in half, did you?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Its one reason I like old Audis, the transmission are overbuilt as hell, which is one reason you can basically attach whatever engine you want without worrying about blowing it with power mods. You'll break the engine before you shred the transmission.

I've always wondered why no one puts Audi AWD manuals into subarus. Shouldn't be too too hard, since they're both the same longitudinal setup with the front diff behind the engine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

April chat thread?

Are we sure its April?

I do not miss western NY at all gently caress that poo poo.

Well I miss going to Bills games but that's about it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bills suck sabres suck just stay home and drink labatts.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QuarkMartial posted:

You didn't hurt yourself when you stomped his board in half, did you?

Yeah cause if there's one thing we've established lately it's that I'm quick to act on my temper

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I've always wondered why no one puts Audi AWD manuals into subarus. Shouldn't be too too hard, since they're both the same longitudinal setup with the front diff behind the engine.

That'd be interesting for sure. Only issues I can think of would be starter location, but I suspect you could easily resolve that with an adapter plate that moves it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

kastein posted:

Because Subaru already made a bolt up solution: the STi 6-speed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just had the police knock on the door. I am told that there were 9 garages broken into at our old complex over the weekend, one of them being my old unit so of course that makes me suspect since we moved out of there a loving year ago. They asked me a bunch of unrelated questions, got irritated that I had an airtight alibi and then told me they needed to take me to the station for my statement. Having been through this same bullshit with the previous management at that complex I declined to go with them. One of them said my attitude made me look guilty and I just shrugged and asked if I was under arrest. They said no so I told them to have a good day and closed the door.

gently caress da police yo.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

Just had the police knock on the door.

Damnit meatpimp

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bucephalus posted:

Damnit meatpimp

That's hosed up. :eng99:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Just had the police knock on the door. I am told that there were 9 garages broken into at our old complex over the weekend, one of them being my old unit so of course that makes me suspect since we moved out of there a loving year ago. They asked me a bunch of unrelated questions, got irritated that I had an airtight alibi and then told me they needed to take me to the station for my statement. Having been through this same bullshit with the previous management at that complex I declined to go with them. One of them said my attitude made me look guilty and I just shrugged and asked if I was under arrest. They said no so I told them to have a good day and closed the door.

gently caress da police yo.

Post pics of the sweet loot you scored during your successful burglaries.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I guess it is, sorry. Just trying to stay jovial.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll be honest, I did ponder making that joke.

They said some other poo poo about me not being cooperative but since I am 100% innocent and not involved I pretty much blew it off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bucephalus posted:

I guess it is, sorry. Just trying to stay jovial.

:lol: , you don't think I'm that thin-skinned, do you? I mean, you should know from watching through my windows that I keep it :woof:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

You can be as cooperative as you drat well please if you had nothing to do with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

You can be as cooperative as you drat well please if you had nothing to do with it.

Pretty much my thoughts on it. I just reached out to a cop buddy of mine, we'll see what's up.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Bucephalus posted:

Damnit meatpimp

:drat:

Hope they don't try and gently caress you Rhyno. I loving hate being accused of poo poo I didn't do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hope they don't try and gently caress you Rhyno. I loving hate being accused of poo poo I didn't do.

They have absolutely nothing to go on. The only thing that they're using to try and blame me is our bad move out 13 months ago.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Does it really...PISS you off?

Yeah, it was bad.

But in all seriousness, that's bullshit Rhyno. Not much they can do if your alibi is good, though. But reaching out to a cop buddy never hurts.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I don't blame a police department checking on leads that the victim of a crime might think would have a (stupid) reason to break in, but that "your attitude makes you look guilty" poo poo makes my blood boil.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ok serious advice time re fall class registration

do i take electives that seem cool now, or do i take ones that would fulfill prereqs for a master's track in case I decide to go that route?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Siochain posted:

Does it really...PISS you off?

Yeah, it was bad.

:vince: Nice.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Enourmo posted:

ok serious advice time re fall class registration

do i take electives that seem cool now, or do i take ones that would fulfill prereqs for a master's track in case I decide to go that route?

Do electives that seem cool now. In all likelihood, you'll graduate, start working, and then go "gently caress getting a Master's."

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Considering how rough your semester has been all around maybe you should chill with some easier classes?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

keykey posted:

Can't find kroil? Obviously you've never heard of Amazon. Also liquid kroil is worth its weight in gold vs aerosool. I'm still on my original bottle that I got about 13 years ago from my wife's uncle who was given 10 gallons or some such poo poo after finishing a hydroelectric dam cylinder refurbishment job. Apparently kroil has been in use in the industrial sector for at least 2 decades.

Because Amazon will deliver on a Saturday evening when I run out... Don't get me wrong, I order from Amazon almost religiously, but Amazon is not always the answer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

Do electives that seem cool now. In all likelihood, you'll graduate, start working, and then go "gently caress getting a Master's."

Yeah this. Also, if you do an engineering masters, it will probably be in a narrow, specific field that you are interested in, and you won't know what that is until you're there. I don't see the value in a non-specialized masters degree.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I don't blame a police department checking on leads that the victim of a crime might think would have a (stupid) reason to break in, but that "your attitude makes you look guilty" poo poo makes my blood boil.

The victims do not know me or anything about me. Neither does the current complex managers. The only lead they have that connected me to this was that I used to rent that garage and my move out was lovely because they surprised inspected us before I could have the carpeting cleaned.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno posted:

The victims do not know me or anything about me. Neither does the current complex managers. The only lead they have that connected me to this was that I used to rent that garage and my move out was lovely because they surprised inspected us before I could have the carpeting cleaned.

Well in that case gently caress them for wasting your time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Considering how rough your semester has been all around maybe you should chill with some easier classes?

In all seriousness, most of the issue has been the living situation, and I've already committed to changing that before summer is over. I realize i bitch about the course work a lot, but I really am getting the work done, and having peace and quiet will only make that easier.

Over summer there's only 2 classes (6 credit hours total) I can take anyway, so that's already 1 semester breather compared to this one.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

In all seriousness, most of the issue has been the living situation, and I've already committed to changing that before summer is over. I realize i bitch about the course work a lot, but I really am getting the work done, and having peace and quiet will only make that easier.

Over summer there's only 2 classes (6 credit hours total) I can take anyway, so that's already 1 semester breather compared to this one.

High 5 gettin poo poo done buddy. Keep on gettin poo poo done. There's a light at the end of that tunnel for both of us. Proud of you for sticking it out, yo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

High 5 gettin poo poo done buddy. Keep on gettin poo poo done. There's a light at the end of that tunnel for both of us. Proud of you for sticking it out, yo.

:respek:

well i'm all registered. fluids and measurements over summer; vibrations, heat transfer, cad/cam and engineering practices in fall. the last two i feel pretty good about (eng practices used to just be called "solidworks" which I'm pretty familiar with, and cad/cam should be easy enough to pick up), leaving just two real hard hitters per semester. should be at least somewhat easier than this semester with two real hard courses and one that's way harder than any of us anticipated.

now i just have to schedule counseling, and a physical as a follow-up to my last doc appt, and get my oil changed, and find time to keep applying for internships, and the apartment hunt...

E: poo poo, i'm looking now and I could start senior design 1 as soon as next spring, which puts me graduating summer or fall depending on lab course availability and the internship situation, instead of may '18 like i've been thinking.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 4, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Raluek posted:

Yeah this. Also, if you do an engineering masters, it will probably be in a narrow, specific field that you are interested in, and you won't know what that is until you're there. I don't see the value in a non-specialized masters degree.

And to add to this, you might find an employer who will pay for your tuition on a masters.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

:respek:

well i'm all registered. fluids and measurements over summer; vibrations, heat transfer, cad/cam and engineering practices in fall. the last two i feel pretty good about (eng practices used to just be called "solidworks" which I'm pretty familiar with, and cad/cam should be easy enough to pick up), leaving just two real hard hitters per semester. should be at least somewhat easier than this semester with two real hard courses and one that's way harder than any of us anticipated.

now i just have to schedule counseling, and a physical as a follow-up to my last doc appt, and get my oil changed, and find time to keep applying for internships, and the apartment hunt...

I struggle with that too. Currently there's 3 non-running cars in my backyard calling my name but I have to prioritize here. Two classes seems like a mistake right now with all the bullshit going on this week, but it'll be awesome once I get through it. If you're going through hell, keep going. This is non-mindful Adiabatic that really needs to get back to mindful Adiabatic. See? I do it too.

Back to one class in the fall, and I may end up taking a break since I'm beginning to get disillusioned and just reached the halfway point. We'll see how I feel after a break during the summer.

What's measurements? Fluids feels weird with the crazy applications of equations, but if you try to keep your eye on the big picture and why you're using it the way they're teaching you, it helps a bunch. Or at least it helped me.

Make sure to have a light load when you take heat transfer. That class is a killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

And to add to this, you might find an employer who will pay for your tuition on a masters.

Yeah wait for this. And for goodness sakes take the fun classes. A BSME is a BSME is a BSME.

• Locked thread