Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
It really does start to blend together, which is why after playing through this I don't recommend people play this game on hard. I don't think I'm going to play the other ones on hard either. I feel like it just makes for a worse viewing experience overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
That was an excellent LP of Turok. As a kid, even with cheats I couldn't get past most levels cause of the jumping puzzles and the maze-like maps. I even picked up the cartridge recently and could only get to the middle of (I think) level 3. Were I just couldn't put up with the jumping puzzles along with losing my way constantly.

I didn't even know there were Crab-type enemies. I've never seen that part of the campaigner's stronghold.

Really looking forward to Turok 2.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Turok 2 is one my my best gaming memories, and something I actually like to go back to from the N64 shooter era. Can't wait to see your take on it.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

PSWII60 posted:

It really does start to blend together, which is why after playing through this I don't recommend people play this game on hard. I don't think I'm going to play the other ones on hard either. I feel like it just makes for a worse viewing experience overall.

That's kind of the impression I got. Hard may be more interesting to play (or may not) but it makes the videos a bit more tedious to watch. I think a lot of LPs decide the same thing unless hard/crazy hard provide an insane extra challenge that is itself interesting.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
I can't wait for you to get to the Lair of the blind ones, because that level, even with a walkthrough makes me feel so :negative:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Nice job finishing Turok! I never completed the game as a kid, only played with the cheats a lot and had a fair amount of fun that way.

I'm super excited to see you get to Turok 2, however. That game was so cool.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Fatcat214 posted:

I can't wait for you to get to the Lair of the blind ones, because that level, even with a walkthrough makes me feel so :negative:
That's the one. I walked into that level with full health, full ammo, and all the lives I could stand.

I got a game over, and couldn't keep going. :(

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

One last Turok 1 video before we go into Turok 2. A stroll back down better times when cheats were freely available, and fun.

Bonus 04 - CHEATS!!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Pretty sure Quack mode is mocking Quake's janky animation and less-fancy particle effects.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What was the obsession with big head modes around this time in gaming? Most FPS games in particular seem to have this as an option, i guess because 3D technology was new and most programmers had fun messing with values? Why was it usually called DK mode as well? Donkey Kong doesn't have a particularly huge head or anything.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What was the obsession with big head modes around this time in gaming? Most FPS games in particular seem to have this as an option, i guess because 3D technology was new and most programmers had fun messing with values? Why was it usually called DK mode as well? Donkey Kong doesn't have a particularly huge head or anything.

In Goldeneye, DK Mode gave enemies giant heads AND giant arms. It makes sense in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7MGT6pLpMM

It doesn't make any sense to use it as shorthand for big head mode in other games, but there you go.

e: That video gets loud as gently caress, so heads up.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 4, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
God! I miss when games came with cheat codes and poo poo like that.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I admit I only watched half the video, so forgive me if it got mentioned: we know (plenty) how the Infinite Lives Cheat is unlocked in-game (by getting max number of lives). I assume that a good portion of cheats are Nintendo Power/the internet only, but what about the rest? Do you get infinite ammo cheat for having, at one point, all weapons' ammo maxed out?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Pneub posted:

Pretty sure Quack mode is mocking Quake's janky animation and less-fancy particle effects.

Holy crap I didn't realize just how much like Quake it looks. Makes perfect sense.

Zain posted:

God! I miss when games came with cheat codes and poo poo like that.

I think the GTA stuff still does cheats, but otherwise the last game I remember having cheat codes was DMC3 special edition on PS2.

Simply Simon posted:

I admit I only watched half the video, so forgive me if it got mentioned: we know (plenty) how the Infinite Lives Cheat is unlocked in-game (by getting max number of lives). I assume that a good portion of cheats are Nintendo Power/the internet only, but what about the rest? Do you get infinite ammo cheat for having, at one point, all weapons' ammo maxed out?

I haven't tried it but maybe? You get infinite lives by maxing out your lives and Lifeforce tokens, but you don't get all weapons from picking up one of each weapon. I'll try it and see what happens. I really hope this doesn't mean that you get infinite health for maxing out your health and armor.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Simply Simon posted:

At the very end of the credits, it gives you a list of cheats, which I think changes depending on the difficulty you beat it on. In the video it listed Spirit Mode, All Weapons, and Inf. Ammo.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Great LP! Also concerning the Campaigner's energy shield, you CAN actually take it down/wear it out, all you'd have to do is shoot at him endlessly with the plasma rifle. But it DOES eventually wear out (it actually changes colors as you shoot at it) and he'll start taking damage from energy weapons.

Also in the remake, the chronoscepter was really, really, REALLY buffed against the final boss, I killed him in two shots.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Big Head Mode looks better in arcade sports games like NBA Jam and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey than it does in FPS games. I miss cheat codes and those kinds of sports games. :(

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Watching the cheat video just made me wish for fun awesome cheats in modern games. Tiny enemy mode and disco mode are fun and hilarious.

Also props on finishing Turok! It kicked my rear end as a kid without cheats. I beat Turok 2 legit though! Blind ones can sure go straight to hell though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I can't wait for you to start Turok 2. That was my favorite game of the series, and still is, even with the goofy voice acting and stupidly long levels.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Turok 2 is here, horrible children included.

Episode 01 - The Port of Adia

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
I rented turok 2 once when it was new. I remember only two things about it. One is a gun that we haven't seen yet that does awful, awful things to people, and the other is the loving awesome music in the first stage, port of Adia.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
HOLY poo poo! :staredog: those children are loving creepy!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It begins :getin:

My recent attempt at this game culminated in me spending an hour and a half going through the first level only to realize i missed a kid and a distress beacon and upon seeing i had to start over i just nope'd out of that immediately.

Not that i didn't enjoy the time playing, but it will certainly be a better expierence when the remake comes out in who knows when.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The way they cried while still having that face got to me even back then.

"Thank you Turok, I̦͕͍'͠l͉̗͓̦l̵͎͎̤ ̸͉̝͓b̪͇̀e̮͈̭̫͖ ̲̮͕̞̖̜̬w̙̩̫̗͎̬͞ͅa͠t̡̯͙͔͈̼c̲h͍̤i̜̝͕̘̫̟͟ń͓͉̬̤g̖̠͎͕ ̭ỵ̻͘o̠̳͍̝͚̱͕ú̱̹̣͎ ̝̪s҉̼le͈͙̭̗͙͡e̟͔͟p̣̙."

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It begins :getin:

My recent attempt at this game culminated in me spending an hour and a half going through the first level only to realize i missed a kid and a distress beacon and upon seeing i had to start over i just nope'd out of that immediately.

Not that i didn't enjoy the time playing, but it will certainly be a better expierence when the remake comes out in who knows when.

Totally didn't miss a child myself this play through that I had to go back for, nope nope. :downs:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, this game. I remember me and my brother blowing up the dead bodies in this level? I think they can get blown up. Other than that I think we mostly played multiplayer

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie

Crigit posted:

I rented turok 2 once when it was new. I remember only two things about it. One is a gun that we haven't seen yet that does awful, awful things to people, and the other is the loving awesome music in the first stage, port of Adia.

Level 4 may be satan incarnate, but it all becomes worth it once you get "That" gun :unsmigghh:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Oh, this game. I remember me and my brother blowing up the dead bodies in this level? I think they can get blown up. Other than that I think we mostly played multiplayer

I didn't try, I'll have to check on the return trip through the level.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

"That" gun still has best sound effect of any gun in any game ever. Also ludicrous gibs. Finally new "I AM TUROK" owns, don't be a hater.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope you know that spoiler tags can cover images so that we don't have to see such a horrifying thing.

I'm not nearly as familiar with Turok 2 as I am with its predecessor, but I do know of a couple of weapons and one of the cheats that was the basis of a Nintendo Power contest.

Joshua Fireseed's "I AM TUROK" doesn't sound as good as Tal Set's, but he certainly does say it with more enthusiasm.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
I started playing Turok 2 when the LP took off in an effort to finish what I never could when I was a stupid kid. I wound up making it to Lair of the Blind Ones and then gave up when I got stuck on a puzzle and haven't picked it back up again. I'd also like to say that River of Souls can go gently caress itself.

Crigit posted:

the loving awesome music in the first stage, port of Adia.

Hell yes it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1A4dlQy0ko

Y-Hat posted:

Joshua Fireseed's "I AM TUROK" doesn't sound as good as Tal Set's, but he certainly does say it with more enthusiasm.

Y'all are just a bunch of haters. :colbert:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

River of Souls can indeed go gently caress itself, I died a bunch as a kid until I accidently discovered how to glitch one of the main enemies.

I think Tal'Set sounded proud, Joshua does not. Maybe that's the point since Joshua definitely seems younger, or maybe I'm overthinking it. I think it sounds like his voice is cracking, and it sounds funny to me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I always thought those yellow dinosoid enemies were called "Fireborn".

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Fireborn are the badass looking black and red version of entrails you see in level 4.

Frankly i didn't think the enemies had names other than YOU FUCKER or GODDAMNIT WHY

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Oh god drat it Nintendo Official Magazine UK you lied to me AGAIN

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I had forgotten how much better Turok 2 looks.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

I didn't try, I'll have to check on the return trip through the level.

Include a run through the level if you miss an objective, to show the real Turok 2 experience.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Dzhay posted:

I had forgotten how much better Turok 2 looks.
Funny thing about that, actually. Turok 2's graphics are so good the N64 can't really handle them well. Even without 'Hi-Rez' enabled, this game will absolutely chug hard whenever stuff is actually happening. It's a fantastic game, but I feel like if they dropped the admittedly superb graphics (it is very much the best-looking game on the platform from a purely technical standpoint) down a notch or two, the game would run far more smoothly. It might just be optimized poorly, but I'd lean towards the former. I'd be surprised if they didn't use every ounce of memory on the cartridge. The saying 'ahead of its time' applies here, but in a bad way. There was a PC port, but I haven't spent enough time with it to really tell you if that fixes those issues or not.

I'm also going to disagree with PSWII60's dislike of the melee weapon. I always used it against Raptors since it's far easier to land hits, and would frequently kill or decapitate in one, two hits. But I might be remembering that the War Blade upgrade instead, which murders the gently caress outta trash-melee enemies like Not-Leapers, Raptors, and Entrails when up-close.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I will try the Talon more in the River of Souls, though I will absolutely use that other weapon you mentioned on most stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I just remember the bad framerate and the evasiveness of the enemies pissing me off something fierce. I don't think I got past level 2.

Multiplayer, on the other hand, was a blast. THAT GUN is so OP.

• Locked thread