Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm really confused how CD has escaped a mod purge and replacement by some FYAD posters for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tiberius Christ posted:

everyone one should read the threads on CineD it's a fabulous meltdown

edit:
lol somebody mad

I sure learned my lesson about talkin poo poo bout batman v superman

I need to talk way more poo poo.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

why did you get rid of that av it was good

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The Schadenfreude Clock is currently 4 minutes to midnight...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

why did you get rid of that av it was good

I never touched it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CD is really especially bad when I post in it

Just like gbs

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Found the comic they based the movie on,

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Young Freud posted:

I know Devin Faraci gets a lot of poo poo here, but he posted an article on how the original comic and the 1978 Christopher Reeve Superman was born to reflect the anxieties of their time and assuage them with a superhero that could overcome them and how Snyder kinda killed Superman for this generation with his renditions of a Supes that is overwhelmed by the zeitgeist. Anyway, he included this quote that Synder said during the press tour:

To Snyder, Supes can't be a hero anymore because heroics have been regulated to death. I wouldn't be surprised if the next paragraph had him talking about "moochers" and "looters".

Isn't that the premise of the not-grim and probably not-incoherent Pixar superhero movie?

edit: The Incredibles, I'm a dope

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 4, 2016

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Isn't that the premise of the not-grim and probably not-incoherent Pixar superhero movie?

that was a great movie :)

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

he did it. He topped steel he can truly call it an accomplishment.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"heroes regulated" was also a plot point of a major marvel arc, and The Watchmen, which he also cribbed the character of dr manhattan from and reskinned as super man.

i would be well pleased if somehow snyder gets shitcanned from justice league and they get george miller on it

snyder should be freed up to make his passion piece about a rich rapist who blows up low income housing

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

gender illusionist posted:

that was a great movie :)
And yet CD will go on and on how its a movie about how great Libertarians are

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Batman v Superman has been out 10 days now, if you compare its domestic box office to Deadpool's first 10 days it had a really great Friday/Saturday and Tuesday but Deadpool actually beat it and made more money on the other seven days.

Superman and Batman can't keep up with Deadpool.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Batman v Superman has been out 10 days now, if you compare its domestic box office to Deadpool's first 10 days it had a really great Friday/Saturday and Tuesday but Deadpool actually beat it and made more money on the other seven days.

Superman and Batman can't keep up with Deadpool.

Deadpool is practically an indie film when it comes to comic book movie budgets, and it's a runaway success while BvS may end up losing money when you consider its dropoff in foreign and domestic box office and the expense of the ENORMOUS ad campaign.

This is such a wonderful shitshow and I hope Snyder gets his $8,000,000 to direct The Fountainhead, it makes $6,000 at the box office, and then we never hear from him again.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
When Supermechagodzilla posts his forty thousand word essay on how this movie is actually great and we're just not autistic artistic enough to "get it" can someone post it so I don't have to read all the other trash posts? Thanks!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This is such a wonderful shitshow and I hope Snyder gets his $8,000,000 to direct The Fountainhead, it makes $6,000 at the box office, and then we never hear from him again.

Weren't there already a bunch of huge Randian films that bombed terribly? I thought they'd done this already.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Weren't there already a bunch of huge Randian films that bombed terribly? I thought they'd done this already.

That was Atlas Shrugged.

The invisible hand of the free market made the first one bomb, then the second was made cheaper and it bombed.

Then the third one turned to kickstarter because an objectivist message film is not financially viable and it can only survive on charity, and it was still a flop even though it was made for pennies.

And now, once again, with BvS a libertarian is forced to realize that libertarian beliefs are so disgusting that they can't turn a profit even if you put a coat of Batman paint on it.

Suck on that throbbing free market dick, Snyder.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well the only way to really get the message out is to hide it in plain sight with a new title and characters with different names and a new setting.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Zombie Boat posted:

When Supermechagodzilla posts his forty thousand word essay on how this movie is actually great and we're just not autistic artistic enough to "get it" can someone post it so I don't have to read all the other trash posts? Thanks!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Aight I finally saw this.

Batman V Superman is a fascinating, insane clusterfuck. And I think it's pretty good.

I'm actually no longer surprised that people hate it. I expected that it to be a Man Of Steel sequel, but this film is actually extremely different - and the half hour of footage from the director's cut is very missing. This is a movie that's been edited down to the bone, and not in a good way.

But it mostly works. The film is told almost entirely from Batman's point of view, and it's distorted by such things as Snyder's trademark slow-motion. Half the film - the part that's actually shown in the ads - is about Bruce Wayne losing his goddamned mind. I mean all bets are off when he starts flying in the first three minutes.

The parts that aren't spoiled in the trailers provide the context: Ma Kent sneering at Nancy Grace and turning the TV off in disgust, Anderson Cooper immediately speculating that a science experiment is a terrorist attack. Wonder Woman's biggest scene involves her literally sitting at her computer and browsing through a series of viral videos. And here's the big thing: whenever Clark Kent is at a low point, he does a Superman photo op. If Batman's insanity is the heart of the narrative, there's the explanation. All that stuff about the media being fundamentally broken is central to the film - the satirical focus. Clark asks: "don't poor people buy newspapers?" Well, don't poor people buy movie tickets?

What you get is this idea that all the anti-immigration subtext that we expected was a smokescreen. The narrative itself is obsessively fixated on Superman, kitten-saving celebrity, while Clark Kent's obituary gets relegated to page 10 of a newspaper with dwindling readership. Wonder Woman's line about how people only know how to honor Superman as a soldier compounds the sadness. Bonus punchline: Luthor's arrest is also on page 10.

We have a scene where people are literally taking bets on an underground boxing match. We were sold the ultimate battle between Batman and Superman, but that was Lex's plan to deceive everyone. The viral videos that interrupt the film are explicitly brought to us by evil Lex Luthor's corporation. He even created little flash-animated logos for the individual heroes. Brands! Like Batman's brand! Clark Kent is crushed under the weight of the Justice League franchise event, and there's Lex delivering quips while it happens.

I'm psyched for the director's cut.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

holy poo poo ahahaha

I think D&D, Book Barn and CD seem to attract the lion's share of passive aggressive weirdos.

Well I guess their angry red letter purchases help keep the lights on at Lowtax's house.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxBNlcf0AzI

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I haven't seen Sucker Punch when I heard it was all dream sequences I was like "nah"

Sucker punch was a movie about female empowerment by a man that loves women.

The heroine and other ladies are screwed over by fate and forcibly imprisoned in an insane asylum run by leering rapists. The fight scenes in the trailer, where the women do kick-rear end feminism stuff with cleavage and upskirts everywhere, are only symbolic dream sequences, done during the short time bought from their captors by the heroine doing some erotic dance that literally hypnotizes the men into unconsciousness.

At the end, the heroine is lobotomized, just as a bunch of male cops come in and rescue all the women.

--

“Who Honors those we love for the very life we live? Who sends monsters to kill us...and at the same time sings that we'll never die? Who teaches us what's real...and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend? Who chains us...and who holds the key that can set us free? It's you. You have all the weapons you need. Now fight!”
― Zack Snyder

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 5, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Sucker Punch was also a literal walk through the hero's journey checklist, which is telegraphed and lampshaded the entire way. The downer ending is, I assume, supposed to be the titular Sucker Punch.

E: as is the misogyny on display in what is ostensibly a female empowerment film.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Dawn of the Dead > Sucker Punch > Watchmen > Owls of Ga'hoole > 300 > Man of Steel

Haven't seen BvS yet.

Sucker Punch is a mess, but least it's an interesting mess.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Dawn of the Dead > Sucker Punch > Watchmen > Owls of Ga'hoole > 300 > Man of Steel

Haven't seen BvS yet.

Please stop giving this rear end in a top hat money.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zack Snyder is a mess, Zack Snyder is a big fat mistake

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked half of Zach Snyders movies so he's okay in my book

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Haven't seen BvS yet.

id put watchmen over sucker punch. im the retard that likes watchmen a lot

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Watchmen was okay I thought. The characters were just so stiff

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I was going to say "How can Snyder be an Objectivist when Superman continually brings up his class-consciousness in this movie?" and then I remembered that, in BvS, Superman is a dumb idiot who is stupid and whose heroics are filmed like horror scenes.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

poisonpill posted:

I was going to say "How can Snyder be an Objectivist when Superman continually brings up his class-consciousness in this movie?" and then I remembered that, in BvS, Superman is a dumb idiot who is stupid and whose heroics are filmed like horror scenes.

i love how snyder's superman is an objectivist ubermensch

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A building is on fire and Superman extremely slowly saves one person and leaves the building burning (no super breath or anything super-heroic).

People gather around to praise him.

A moment later he stands by as hundreds of people are blown up because he didn't want to save the people who were being mean to him by questioning his motives. As the ashes of the dead swirl around him he looks annoyed by them.

People gather outside to praise him.

Lex kidnaps his mom and says kill Batman or my goons will kill her. Superman agrees because he can't use his super vision, his super hearing, his super strength, or his super speed to just zip over to the warehouse and save mom and come back to Lex in under a second.

To add insult to injury, one scene later Batman IS capable of finding her, is capable of fighting the goons, and IS capable of saving her, which Superman couldn't do.

So, if you just take what's in this movie, people love and worship a stupid hero that either can never remember he has superpowers, or he refuses to use them because he is an incredibly stupid prick that just enjoys human suffering and death.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zzulu posted:

Watchmen was okay I thought. The characters were just so stiff

Yeah, Watchmen was the moment I realized he had no idea how people actually behave.

The biggest example is the line "well what do you expect, the comedian is dead"

Its supposed to be this line that suggested just total emotional and moral exhaustion. This summary of the burdens the characters are feeling.

In the movie its delivered as a half-hearted one-liner with all of its emotional weight removed from the performance.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
welp

thescience
Jul 18, 2006
I'm kinda interested in if the season 2 of daredevil is affecting how bad this movie is doing. I watched the first three episodes before I watched BvS and it's almost funny how much more I like the people on an internet tv show than a major motion picture in the same genre.

A tv show on the internet was able to set up a conflict between two comic book characters and resolve it, with a chance of sequels, better than a movie. I'm working my way through the season now and even this investigation poo poo flows better with the superheroics compared to bvs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wtf

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

thanks to whoever recommended the weird elsworlds justice league: gods and monsters cartoon.

20 minutes in and i already find this son-of-zod mexican superman guy more relatable, grounded and likable than frownie sundae superman was after two more feature films

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, Watchmen was the moment I realized he had no idea how people actually behave.

The biggest example is the line "well what do you expect, the comedian is dead"

Its supposed to be this line that suggested just total emotional and moral exhaustion. This summary of the burdens the characters are feeling.

In the movie its delivered as a half-hearted one-liner with all of its emotional weight removed from the performance.

Also giving Sally loving Dr. Manhattan's "it never ends" rejoinder to Veidt's "the end justifies the means" comment.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Would it be an improvement if Superman was played by Danny Trejo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol

• Locked thread