Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When I was in high-school I worked part time as a partsperson at Crappy. Motomaster tires were pretty much all re-branded General tires. They really did nothing well but they weren't terrible either(Turbo-Lazer 4 performance tires :haw:). I suspect now they have agreements with other manufacturers but as long as they aren't Chinese (which I wouldn't be surprised if they were) I don't think they're going to be awful.

e:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1991-chevrolet-sprint-hatchback/1147483520

A sub $1000 boring as hell deathtrap, but looks to be in shockingly good shape.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There have been a bunch of mint Metro/Swift/Sprints for sale lately all with amazing condition bodies.

I have no loving idea why.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have absolutely no idea why, but I have a desire to look at it :ohdear:

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
People probably bought them to save on gas, and now don't care.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nomex posted:

People probably bought them to save on gas, and now don't care.

We should buy them all and store them on the empty lot next to my place. Sell them in 2-3 years when gas is over a dollar again.

This will also keep people from buying that empty lot while we tie it up in squatter's rights claims in the courts.

It's total win win.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

Sell them in 2-3 years when gas is over a dollar again.
Hahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Look at this guy, he thinks the gas companies will let it stay under a dollar for 2-3 years. We'll see it well over a dollar within 2-3 months.

:smith:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Quicker return on investment then :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

A lot of those cars are just getting up in age to the point where the owners have either saved up enough cents over 20 years of driving them to afford something nicer or are just getting sick of maintaining something that old.

It is hilarious the number of people who got rid of their cars for SUVs or trucks as soon as gas hit 60 cents at my building though and now we're just under a dollar again.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

A lot of those cars are just getting up in age to the point where the owners have either saved up enough cents over 20 years of driving them to afford something nicer or are just getting sick of maintaining something that old.

It is hilarious the number of people who got rid of their cars for SUVs or trucks as soon as gas hit 60 cents at my building though and now we're just under a dollar again.

I was laughing at this as well.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

I was laughing at this as well.

I was going to laugh, but then I remembered I own four v8 engines :saddowns:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Slung Blade posted:

I was going to laugh, but then I remembered I own four v8 engines :saddowns:

Twin turbo V6 and as of yesterday 1.5 rotaries. All I need to do is even think about using the loud pedal and I can watch the fuel gauge move. :gonk:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Saw that BMW i8 in Edmonton today by my building, those things look really good in person

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

neckbeard posted:

Saw that BMW i8 in Edmonton today by my building, those things look really good in person

It really bugs me that the wheels don't swish the same way. What's up with that? Careless wheel rotation?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Twin turbo V6 and as of yesterday 1.5 rotaries. All I need to do is even think about using the loud pedal and I can watch the fuel gauge move. :gonk:

That ecoboost mileage is awesome though. I'm desperately hoping I'll still be able to grab one for my truck when we sell the Lincoln.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

None of you know the pain of owning a 30 year old hatchback that VW geared so badly it actually gets better mileage in the city versus the highway.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

neckbeard posted:

We have one of these in Lethbridge in a dark grey. Almost drove off the road rubbernecking it. The guy owns a hot tub/geothermal energy place in town. Business must be good.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Oh as an aside, Slidebite the bearings fit perfectly for the kart. I ended up just going with the RB Tech for now since there was a metric ton of sand and dirt in the old ones and I don't want to ruin good bearings the first time I go off track. There is a bit more drag to them than the old ones, do they loosen up over time?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, they should. The "drag" is a combination of the new full grease pack and the contact lips of the seals. As the grease gets heated up and the seals get broken in it'll get lighter. Do not grease them for some time, if ever (if you even can). Those bearings are often used in direct drive applications where they'll be turning at 1800-3600RPM for months or even a year or more without any additional lube to the factory load.

Keep in mind though, you're talking literally ounces of torque on something that weighs hundreds of pounds so it's not going to make a practical difference. Taking a big poo poo before you race would probably have a bigger impact.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah in my mind I don't think I'd ever re-grease them as I completely destroyed the seals on the old ones trying to get them off and these ones seem a little more robust. Might be worth it if I step up to some higher quality ones down the road.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently old beat up utility trailers are the new gold.

I have a steel frame sled deck and loading a side by side on it isn't as practical as I envisioned. I think I'll cut the legs off, get one of those Rockwell 3000lb trailer axles, fab up a tongue and turn the deck into a trailer.

Off to princess auto to look at trailer poo poo.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

jonathan posted:

Apparently old beat up utility trailers are the new gold.

I have a steel frame sled deck and loading a side by side on it isn't as practical as I envisioned. I think I'll cut the legs off, get one of those Rockwell 3000lb trailer axles, fab up a tongue and turn the deck into a trailer.

Off to princess auto to look at trailer poo poo.

A buddy of mine is building one from scratch and I'm super jealous. It looks like a lot of fun.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The real fun is guessing if my weld will come out nice or blow right through the material. I am really bad at welding.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/rare-1990-toyota-celica-alltrak-turbo/1151809676

What's it realistically worth? Looks potentially clapped out but close enough to stock it might be savable.

I was more than mildly surprised it's Canadian spec.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If it drives, the body looks good and the undercarriage isn't made of pure rust I'd say close to $4k, I'd try and shoot lower though.

Couple of things would scare me though, there weren't too many of those imported here so parts are going to be had to come by and that mileage is kind of low. Slungblade and SSS could probably comment better but I would assume there's close to zero mechanical crossover with something like a GTS of the same era.

Working on that RX7 I'm now convinced that mileage doesn't matter, I just want a car that was worked on in the past decade so everything isn't seized in place.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Balls expensive, not much we can use off of it - judging from RockAuto there are many cases where the 4WD car diverges from the FWD.

We have gotten a bunch of RHD ST185s in the country over the last ten or so years, so maybe there is a junkyard full of them somewhere. I remember in university a few guys had RC editions and crashed them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They're amazingly sweet cars, I've been totally impressed with the one we have and it's been through the fuckin war.

Awd and a turbo would make it nearly perfect.

But yeah that seems like a little much.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's a similar white one for sale in Edmonton.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1990-toyota-celica-alltrac-turbo-gt4-lhd/1152390246

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The gift that keeps on giving, The theives who stole my truck got a $320 photo radar ticket with it at 87 in a 50.

If i didn't get the truck back, i wouid be losing my loving mind right now.

If it was a cop sitting there instead of a cash machine, i would have gotten the truck back the day after it was stolen without all the spraypaint or burnt crack smell.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 6, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ugh, that sucks man. RCMP loves elbowing people in the face while they're down :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's got to be fightable, especially if you have a police report that it was stolen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

That's got to be fightable, especially if you have a police report that it was stolen.

It absolutely has to be fightable. It should be thrown out with 1 phone call, but i can't seem to get anybody on the phone about it.

If i even have to go into court for this garbage, then we have a serious loving problem in this province.

The more i try to deal with this, the angrier i get. It's not a ticket from the RCMP, it's from "red deer city traffic services" so it's not even as if the revenue from a legitimate ticket contributes to any actual sort of law enforcement effort.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm surprised it's only $320 for 37 over. No wonder you Albertans speed like mofo's all the time.

Pretty sure here in Manitoba the speed camera would have made a loud ka-chink noise if you flew by it that much over.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
You'll have to go to a courthouse to fix it, unfortunately. Find out which day the traffic prosecutor will be in, and see them during their office hours. It doesn't have to be the date on the ticket. And yes, for those who don't know: almost every photo radar operation in Alberta is conducted by non-police agencies or contractors. So it isn't an issue of traffic police officers being displaced by photo radar. They operate independently. Still extra lovely for you though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got a call back from them, and they are putting a request to the crown to have it cancelled, but said they might still go after it because the ticket was at night on the 7th and i reported it stolen on the 8th. She mentioned that they will have the police report though, where i specifically noted that the last time i saw the truck was the 5th, and only noticed it missing on the 8th, so they would have to be massive cocks to push it. so it's worth being extremely detailed on the police report.

I was reading an article a while back about when the city of edmonton took over the photo radar from the police, the number of tickets for doing less than 10 over jumped like 2000%, and i'd believe it. they park their loving photo radar trucks in a lane of traffic on the overpasses aiming down the anthony henday. Nothing says traffic safety like parking a pickup at a pinch point on a busy road.

Also, the reflective strip on the tailgate almost washed out the plate number

That must be why telus has a bright white one on the back of all their trucks, they know they all drive like dinks.

I was going to do a pile of wiring on it, i picked up a breakered switch panel out of a starcraft van from the pick-n-pull for like $4, sold as "window switches" a while back. It's all aluminum with eally heavy clicky switches and 8-12 amp breakers. Always worth checking out those bitchin old vans.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 6, 2016

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
There's a guy on Reddit Calgary looking for literally that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Nomex posted:

gently caress him, he's already on Reddit, wallowing in the cancer mud at Pick N Pull is a step up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nomex posted:

Well, if you're a poop toucher, tell him to check skeezy rapevans at the pick-n-pull. there were 3 or 4 at the one on 52nd the last time i was there. one also had a whole bunch of pop-out sunroofs. I was going to grab them but they want something like $30 for a sunroof whether it's 1 square foot or 10.

Things like this go for $80 on ebay. It really is a substantial piece of kit.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

I got a call back from them, and they are putting a request to the crown to have it cancelled, but said they might still go after it because the ticket was at night on the 7th and i reported it stolen on the 8th. She mentioned that they will have the police report though, where i specifically noted that the last time i saw the truck was the 5th, and only noticed it missing on the 8th, so they would have to be massive cocks to push it. so it's worth being extremely detailed on the police report.

I was reading an article a while back about when the city of edmonton took over the photo radar from the police, the number of tickets for doing less than 10 over jumped like 2000%, and i'd believe it. they park their loving photo radar trucks in a lane of traffic on the overpasses aiming down the anthony henday. Nothing says traffic safety like parking a pickup at a pinch point on a busy road.

Also, the reflective strip on the tailgate almost washed out the plate number

That must be why telus has a bright white one on the back of all their trucks, they know they all drive like dinks.

I was going to do a pile of wiring on it, i picked up a breakered switch panel out of a starcraft van from the pick-n-pull for like $4, sold as "window switches" a while back. It's all aluminum with eally heavy clicky switches and 8-12 amp breakers. Always worth checking out those bitchin old vans.

Holy poo poo that switch panel is amazing

I've never seen the photo radar trucks parked in traffic lanes. They're always on the extra large shoulders on those overpasses. We were looking at the new 41 Ave SW overpass the other day and wondering if they spent an extra few million to make it extra wide so they could fit their photo vehicles on there for all the lanes.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Well that was a short riding season. My baby was stolen out of the garage last night :(

I got some security camera footage of the assholes though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well that loving sucks. Looks like typical baggy pants 20 year olds but were smart enough to wear gloves. What did the cops say? They rode it away?

Do any neighbours have cameras too?