Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Im praying they dont nerf jhin too hard because hes so much fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

The Mash posted:

And yet they're filling the exact same roles (roles as in tasks rather than positions on the map) and get picked on the exact same comps in pro play. They supplement eachother well because they supply fundamentally similar things to a team: zone control, long-range CC and physical damage poke. Varus is a better opener and Jhin is a better closer and they have different power spikes, but the Jhin/Varus/Gragas comp will only get more common until one of the three (probably Jhin) eats a nerf.

You just described Ashe. Is she "basically the same" as Jhin and Varus too?

Jhin doesn't even have particularly noteworthy poke anyway, his damage is pretty average in terms of range, ult aside.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Varus is played in the mid lane a lot because he has excellent wave clear and like half his damage output is magic as opposed to physical. I think Jhin could be a midlaner but I don't think he's all that similar to Varus.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The Mash posted:

pro click

Did you shave yet?

No.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
:nms:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Varus built for poke does far more physical damage than magic. I wouldn't be surprised if dft does more magic damage than his w does in a typical Varus mid game.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

Varus built for poke does far more physical damage than magic. I wouldn't be surprised if dft does more magic damage than his w does in a typical Varus mid game.

You're right, actually. I looked at the stats and Varus does like 8x more physical than magic damage. I thought he did a lot more.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

I'd like to have a second champion to play when Volibear gets picked/banned but nothing I've tried has really seemed to click with me. I only play jungle and top and I prefer to play champs that are relatively to really tanky. Udyr feels like a strong choice, but he gets banned in about 85-90% of Bronze/Silver games. Same with Jax and Mundo. Anyone willing to toss out some ideas? Here's my op.gg if you want to look at all the champions I've tried and failed to play.

do not take cinderhulk on amumu please. runic echoes is way better. my early game build on amumu is runic echoes, boots, and haunting guise. gets you relatively tanky but makes you hit like a truck to assist in easy ganks. this lets you transition into more main line sunfire abyssal pretty easily or you can go for an ap ryliandries type of thing. aside from that look into gragas, zac, nasus, and malphite. poppy is also pretty good right now.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
On any champ where you have to choose between Cinderhulk and Runic Echoes, always take the latter. The absurd power spike you get from Runic alone warrants taking it on Gragas Amumu Zac etc.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
As someone who has played hundreds and hundreds of Jhin games so far and even wrote a loving Jhin guide with almost 2 million views,

No, he's not like Varus.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Bholder posted:

Sometimes I'd rather play with drunk duos playing yasuo bot than with tryhard Riven mains who lose their level2 all in then blame jungler.

And honestly, ranked have their own share of fucktards who don't actually play nonstandard because they want something else but because you banned his Zed and now he is trolling.

That's a reasonable response. That is the problem with ranked, especially at lower levels. Everyone is way too loving intense, because they all believe they should be climbing to Challenger, but for their irritating teammates. The irritating teammates who somehow force them to wander around alone in unwarded jungles, who force them to shove under the opponent's tower without wards, who force them to try to all-in a fourth time top when the first three times didn't work, etc. Then whenever they die, it is somehow always because a teammate did or did not do something.

But overall, that is easier for me to tune out than Soraka jungle kind of poo poo. That being said, you are also right, in that ranked is getting worse with people who must play Zed/Yasuo/Vayne going apeshit when their character gets banned.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the only champ i really dread having on my team is draven. most people in plat/diamond can play zed or yasuo or whatever well enough but theres so many tanks right now that can gently caress draven up so badly they're almost destined to feed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AHH FUGH posted:

As someone who has played hundreds and hundreds of Jhin games so far and even wrote a loving Jhin guide with almost 2 million views,

I just bought Jhin and am trying to learn him.

Please link that guide. Or type words about Jhin here. Whatever, I'll take anything.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I've played a lot of Jhin as well, and he is fun and cool and while I haven't made a guide with almost :siren: two million :siren: views I can give you two cents as well. Is there something you wanna know in particular?

Man I'm so glad too that I could say a character that has a long range root is similar to another character that has a long range root and pro players are using said long range pokey guy that was normally an ADC a midlaner. I'm so goddamned smart and cool and handsome and I hope everyone wants to kiss me.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 4, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/site/taric-comic/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

:allears:

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why is it impossible for people to stay the gently caress away from the turrets when we have baron and minions are whittling down the inhib turrets?

Like, what is the strange attraction that walking into a Blitzcrank that my idiotic Galio midlaner has? I mean, really? Why do people just not stay the gently caress back and clear waves and let the minions do the work?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

if i had to guess... the plays

So wait, Taric is going to be some soulless shell like Pantheon is now a god wearing a human as an outfit? He probably won't care about being functional or stylish anymore :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder just how frigging huge this change is.

Edit:

This is apparently his new splash art

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
After we got 4 for 0 and another baron, he decided it would be a great idea to split push their inner bot turret for some unknown reason knowing that their team was all about to spawn

Like, it really boggles the mind how some people even get to this elo when they make decisions that are so obviously wrong

Yeah I'm salty

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

Servaetes posted:

So wait, Taric is going to be some soulless shell like Pantheon is now a god wearing a human as an outfit? He probably won't care about being functional or stylish anymore :(

FABULOUS.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

holy poo poo he's Fabio with a cape and world of warcraft shoulders i can dig this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Servaetes posted:

holy poo poo he's Fabio with a cape and world of warcraft shoulders i can dig this

I just want to see how his pink skin looks now.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Servaetes posted:

I've played a lot of Jhin as well, and he is fun and cool and while I haven't made a guide with almost :siren: two million :siren: views I can give you two cents as well. Is there something you wanna know in particular?

Sorry, I only take advice for my Bronze Adventures from people who have at least 250k hits on mobafire.

ImpAtom posted:

This is apparently his new splash art

I mean, sure, it's fabulous, but could it be more fabulous?

Eagerly awaiting Fifth Age Taric is what I'm saying.

Servaetes posted:

Seriously though, he's only the 4th ADC I'm giving a serious try, and the others (trist, Jinx, Ashe) all play similarly and sorta unexciting. How aggressive should I be looking to be in lane with Jhin? Should i be leveling bloom third, or just ignore it until I have to? Champion.gg has mixed feelings on this. Thoughts on the popular itemization I'm seeing on that site?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Servaetes posted:

Nah he's still fab af.

edit too slow

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
that sure doesn't look like a hammer he's carrying :colbert:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Boxman posted:

Sorry, I only take advice for my Bronze Adventures from people who have at least 250k hits on mobafire.

Seriously though, he's only the 4th ADC I'm giving a serious try, and the others (trist, Jinx, Ashe) all play similarly and sorta unexciting. How aggressive should I be looking to be in lane with Jhin? Should i be leveling bloom third, or just ignore it until I have to? Champion.gg has mixed feelings on this. Thoughts on the popular itemization I'm seeing on that site?

I'd say you can go either way in terms of aggression or passiveness. He can do both, but your biggest bit of aggression are going to be on your fourth shot OR the grenade bounce. The grenade's kind of a tricky thing, but once you get a feel for it you can do pretty respectable harass. For example, poke at the ranged minions, set up a grenade bounce to chain to the ADC trying to last hit melee minions and is chilling next to his ranged creeps, boop boop boop hits him fourth shot. He's not an all in kind of champ though from a single well done catch in lane, you must chip them down a bit first so the fourth execute shot will be really meaningful. Also he CSes pretty poorly under turret, so if you're going to be passive, try to keep the creeps from crashing into your tower because between the CDs on grenade and spaghetti root and trap and your goofy reload you will miss a few creeps if not a lot under turret. Hopefully that clarifies that bit.

As for bloom, I assume you're talking about his traps, but no, you shouldn't ignore them completely. Take a point of it at 3 or 4 (if paranoid you're gonna get ganked, level 3--otherwise another point in grenade and trap at 4). It's an excellent "oh gently caress the enemy jungler is coming!" alert for yourself and the slow may buy you time to get the hell out. You can poot out two in pretty fast succession and they last a good while too. Two of them can create a choke point at most points in the jungle--you can choke off the tribrush or the path from tri into blue side bot turret, stuff like that. Won't always save you, and frankly seldom does, but the warning is very helpful. Plus if you land your spaghetti blaster shot you get a movespeed boost and the trap triggers it, so no, definitely don't ignore it.

Itemization for me is probably gonna be standard as a lot of folks that play Jhin. IE is paramount, like try to get that above all else, a zeal item of any particular flavor (I like RFC and PD, but a lot of folks suggest Shiv and it's a fine pickup), Lord Dominik's whatever Last Whisper Thing, Essence Reaver, lifesteal item of some description, swifties. Some folks recomend ghostblade but I think it's a loving stupid item but that's maybe due to my own ignorance and hatred of the item since it was that weird crit/pen item that was fun on Olaf but nobody else, but flat pen is very good, CDR is also very good on him, and though I think it's wasted due to his reload mechanic it may be of value to you as well. So something like Dorans+Pot > BFS + boots > IEdge > Zeal Item > Swifties > Evaluate (Lifesteal? Last Whisper? More damage) and go from there.

OH! One last thing because I now remembered--you can hold onto your shot for a VERY long time. He reloads his weapon regardless of shots remaining after 10 seconds of not auto attacking, but this can be extended further with grenade tosses, spaghetti blaster shots, and tossing out traps which all refresh the reload countdown. Hypothetically you could threaten the critical shot for a 10-30ish seconds and this can intimidate laners, but obviously don't hold onto the shot so long as that you prevent yourself from last hitting.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 4, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Tariq... my body... is ready

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Truly

Truly

Truly.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Servaetes posted:

I'd say you can go either way in terms of aggression or passiveness. He can do both, but your biggest bit of aggression are going to be on your fourth shot OR the grenade bounce. The grenade's kind of a tricky thing, but once you get a feel for it you can do pretty respectable harass. For example, poke at the ranged minions, set up a grenade bounce to chain to the ADC trying to last hit melee minions and is chilling next to his ranged creeps, boop boop boop hits him fourth shot. He's not an all in kind of champ though from a single well done catch in lane, you must chip them down a bit first so the fourth execute shot will be really meaningful. Also he CSes pretty poorly under turret, so if you're going to be passive, try to keep the creeps from crashing into your tower because between the CDs on grenade and spaghetti root and trap and your goofy reload you will miss a few creeps if not a lot under turret. Hopefully that clarifies that bit.

As for bloom, I assume you're talking about his traps, but no, you shouldn't ignore them completely. Take a point of it at 3 or 4 (if paranoid you're gonna get ganked, level 3--otherwise another point in grenade and trap at 4). It's an excellent "oh gently caress the enemy jungler is coming!" alert for yourself and the slow may buy you time to get the hell out. You can poot out two in pretty fast succession and they last a good while too. Two of them can create a choke point at most points in the jungle--you can choke off the tribrush or the path from tri into blue side bot turret, stuff like that. Won't always save you, and frankly seldom does, but the warning is very helpful. Plus if you land your spaghetti blaster shot you get a movespeed boost and the trap triggers it, so no, definitely don't ignore it.

Itemization for me is probably gonna be standard as a lot of folks that play Jhin. IE is paramount, like try to get that above all else, a zeal item of any particular flavor (I like RFC and PD, but a lot of folks suggest Shiv and it's a fine pickup), Lord Dominik's whatever Last Whisper Thing, Essence Reaver, lifesteal item of some description, swifties. Some folks recomend ghostblade but I think it's a loving stupid item but that's maybe due to my own ignorance and hatred of the item since it was that weird crit/pen item that was fun on Olaf but nobody else, but flat pen is very good, CDR is also very good on him, and though I think it's wasted due to his reload mechanic it may be of value to you as well. So something like Dorans+Pot > BFS + boots > IEdge > Zeal Item > Swifties > Evaluate (Lifesteal? Last Whisper? More damage) and go from there.

OH! One last thing because I now remembered--you can hold onto your shot for a VERY long time. He reloads his weapon regardless of shots remaining after 10 seconds of not auto attacking, but this can be extended further with grenade tosses, spaghetti blaster shots, and tossing out traps which all refresh the reload countdown. Hypothetically you could threaten the critical shot for a 10-30ish seconds and this can intimidate laners, but obviously don't hold onto the shot so long as that you prevent yourself from last hitting.

Pretty much all you need to know.

Also, don't play Jhin with a Janna. If your support picks Janna, just dodge. God-loving-awful lane. Just get a Nautilus or Braum and auto-win the lane

Peakay
Jun 29, 2013

Stealthy Simian of Trickery

Kashuno posted:

that sure doesn't look like a hammer he's carrying :colbert:

Apparently, Taric wields a three pronged mace now. :colbert:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Janna is actually real good with Jhin

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

^ Bond, Jhin Player http://plays.tv/video/56e982ad5e60bbad76/-good-

Yeah, that fourth shot + shield thing is about all Janna offers it feels like to me.

I've had extremely good success with Nami (mostly because the Nami I play with is really drat good) with the whole temp speedup fourth shot + bouncing heal or waterhands or bubble > root, Leona also really good, Alistar really good. Naut and Braum I've not played with but I totally can see how it'd be legit. Basically anyone that can set you up a root on demand and block some heat for you to do your ~*art*~ is a great pick with you. Anyone else is just uncivilized uncouth idiot moron scum trash.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Literally the most beautiful thing I've seen in League

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Peakay posted:

Apparently, Taric wields a three pronged mace now. :colbert:

jungle taric inc

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NTT posted:

Janna is actually real good with Jhin

Don't listen to this man

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Janna is great pairing with Jhin and any other ADC who can't escape fights. Trying to argue that you should dodge a Janna pick in solo queue is one of the most asinine things I've ever read, considering that Janna has been a permanent solo queue high tier pick for her entire existence.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

AHH FUGH posted:

If your support picks Janna, just dodge.

without context, agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Place your bets! Is new Taric going to end up a top laner? A jungler? Somehow filling the ADC niche? Or will, again all odds, he somehow be designed and remain as a support?

• Locked thread