Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

One thing I'm still trying to make sense of is EightAce's latest confirmation of Derek's current information. It would seem they are in complete agreement on things - and yet at last count they held opposing views on CIG cash reserves, with Derek calling the cupboard bare and EightAce saying they had more than enough cash to weather the year.

Cash more than anything else is determines the health of the concern, and if they truly are facing bankruptcy, Chris and Erin certainly aren't doing themselves favors in any future class action lawsuit by talking up their forward projections.

I'm still inclined to assume their cash is healthier than we suspect. If it isn't, then I will have to revise my opinions of them downward, which would amaze me in Chris' case and disappoint me in Erin's.

It's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

So yeah, EightAce is real.

Duh. That's him in the wheelchair.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

It's not.

If they're that close, why aren't we seeing more sales and other desperate bids for additional income? Or are they seeking investors on the down low now to give the outward appearance of health?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i've said this many times, but really, close this thread and do not create a new one until something happens

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Once again, if this E.L.E is not something completely left-field then none of this poo poo from the past two weeks will have been worth it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Google Butt posted:

i've said this many times, but really, close this thread and do not create a new one until something happens

or just don't read it? :confused:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Google Butt posted:

got a blog to source for that, hotshot?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cmdr_vinman posted:

Thank you Skellybones, much appreciated!

I am more a 7 type.

So, try to keep up! o7

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chalks posted:

To be fair if you're a fan of spore you're probably going to really enjoy Star Citizen.

Not so much. At least in SC, you can be in space for at least 5 minutes before HAVING to return home, right?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

LowellDND posted:

Should check out SCP sometime

Star Citizen is a Keter-class AI in the making.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Serious post. Did anyone really crack it before the 3rd clue and if so, how?

I managed to stumble upon the answer about 24 hours ago after working out how LoB worked. Neat.

Sperg talk:
Assuming you figured out the Library reference and wanted to brute force while somehow managing to be as unlucky as possible:
Fourth clue points you straight to it.
Third clue gives you 410 pages to sift through(this is why we saw a sudden spike in 'got its!' after that clue, the threshold was much lower)
Second clue gets you to 13120 pages to sift through. People getting it here almost certainly did some sort of scripting.
First clue gets you to 65600 pages to sift through.
Beer's post alone would be 262400 pages.

I'd say pre third clue it was either being *very* bored at work, or writing a script to scan the anglicized pages for a certain amount of consecutive highlighted text.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Some folks blue balls might be outside the rgb gamut.

So more towards the green end of the spectrum? Maybe they should see someone about that. Or are we talking about needing alpha values, in which case they definitely should see someone.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

notoriousman posted:

got a blog to source for that, hotshot?

my post history, good luck.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

It's not.

Serious post Derek:

Your credibility is not as high as it once was, after you trolled the thread for days and are now claiming puppet master status.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

CubicalSucrose posted:

I like this one.

Also, hats off to the two-key-decoders.

Yeah I got it with the 3rd hint and brute force but dunno how people got it with just the first two.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
EightAce == Dr. Smart?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

D1E posted:

Serious post Derek:

Your credibility is not as high as it once was, after you trolled the thread for days and are now claiming puppet master status.

Stop sulking.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

D1E posted:

Serious post Derek:

so 8Ace is one of his puppets you think? i hope that doesn't come off as sarcastic

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D1E posted:

Serious post Derek:

Was the coded message Beer's idea? Seems like his style. Can Derek even claim pupper master status for something that wasn't even his own creation?

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

if people had listened when i said close the thread on page 1999 none of this would have happened

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i mean lets say it's all just a clever ruse. everything DS says is wrong. is CIG still in the clear? have they not wasted all their money? their sales graph seems to indicate they aren't generating revenue fast enough. do they have a benefactor of some kind?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Toops posted:

Here, have a weekly dev update to cheer you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnnRYfeyZo

This is loving awesome. I'm legit more excited to try your game than anything CIG could make.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Rhubarb94 posted:

Stop sulking.

LOL I'm not sulking.

Derek just needs to comprehend that this stunt may have unforeseen consequences.

If anything, it only helps the Cultist's argument that he is a troll with no actual insight.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

D_Smart posted:

It's not.

Obviously you know something we don't, but CIG seems to be acting as if everything is normal and business as usual. I mean they're still hiring people and making mouse pads sized for literal whales. Chris Roberts doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who keeps real cool under fire, he can't even hold back from spontaneously adding features when asked questions by his fans. He would be panicking and making all kinds of changes imo if money was running out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I feel safe boasting about my penis size since nobody else will ever see it :smug:

Boasting about that only really works in a monastery, though.

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I got it with the 3rd hint and brute force but dunno how people got it with just the first two.

As someone pointed out, at that point you can just download the search space and have the most basic editor go through it. I didn't get until the third one because I hadn't played around enough with the site to recognise they keywords that pointed the way until then. :(

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

jaegerx posted:

I'm of the opinion that Derek is full of poo poo. He keeps promising poo poo and never delivers because of legal.

Just loving post Derek.

Sorry man, "obstruction of justice" is the sort of poo poo I'd rather not deal with, let alone get involved in.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Dogstoyevsky posted:

:lol: @ anybody acting too cool for this thread or derek's troll, you post in a dead comedy forum from the 90s about a dying videogame that is fleecing money from nerds, please explain this to a normal person and they will try to have you committed involuntarily or give you swirlies until you die
never mention the forums to normal people

when explaining to my project manager how i know that the manufacturers' standards for installing NEMA 5 receptacles is for the ground to be on top so the 'upside down' look is correct, "i read it on a comedy forum on the internet" while true is not very convincing

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

All that needs to happen is the leavers actually leaving and everything in the thread will be fine again, we've been waiting for some high profile leavers now for more than a month now.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am the Neo Nazi that Derek first said "let me loving finish" to and gave him this idea for the masterful slowroll troll ruse.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Screams eeeEEE posted:

i mean lets say it's all just a clever ruse. everything DS says is wrong. is CIG still in the clear? have they not wasted all their money? their sales graph seems to indicate they aren't generating revenue fast enough. do they have a benefactor of some kind?

Were you not here when people figured out the meat ball connection?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

There was really no need to brute force it - for example, Derek's clues led me to the right site. Beer's hex plus the first two clues leaves you with 13120 pages to sift through. gently caress that noise, so I downloaded the 32 text files and let Windows search indexing do the heavy lifting. The hard part was zeroing in on keywords. In desperation I typed "gently caress". Enlightenment followed.

That's a cool approach. It also makes me think that doing the reverse would be viable to keep a secret. Give out the wall, shelf, volume, and page but keep the hex itself.

Ragequit posted:

Was the coded message Beer's idea? Seems like his style. Can Derek even claim pupper master status for something that wasn't even his own creation?

It was. Originally it was going to be an April Fool's Joke, but I decided that it would be too obvious if all the clues came in on the same day. Derek took the hints to 11. The biblical reference in particular was perfect.

D_Smart posted:

All the deserving credit goes to Beer. I just worked his fantastic idea into my narrative. That, coupled with my on-going E.L.E. narrative made the perfect storm for the best.troll.ever

Thing is, there's more to come. Just wait. Two weeks.

ps: There's some serious E.L.E. poo poo going down right now.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
imo start another thread that everyone can bookmark and then only update that thread with good, new, significant info and keep it locked otherwise. wading through all this garbage is getting tedious, especially since it feels like we're so close but also we may not be close to anything at all....

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eonwe posted:

there are a lot of goons who explicitly do not like me, lol

Of which, I am explicitly not one.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Of which, I am explicitly not one.

who doesn't like spinny ice cream elephant?

ban that guy

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

D_Smart posted:

It's not yours to protect or admonish anyone over. It's a meme. We all own it. We all use it as-needed.

Yeah cool and like every other meme it stops being entertaining when some egotistical moron just yells it in every post without understanding what makes it or anything else funny.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Truga posted:

Were you not here when people figured out the meat ball connection?

the what

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Sorry man, "obstruction of justice" is the sort of poo poo I'd rather not deal with, let alone get involved in.

It's deja vu all over again!

Edit: I'm starting to think that the ELE is in reference to Derek's own posting here. The two word responses with nothing to back them up got old six months ago.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

New ship sale.

Introducing the TRITON.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kilmers Elbow posted:

New ship sale.

Introducing the TRITON.

Looks like a ship used by some goddamn scooby doos

Time to call in the

SEA PATROL!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

now I know how Captain B'Tak feels when he sees another player in any game - I have felt grief untold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

D1E posted:

LOL I'm not sulking.

Derek just needs to comprehend that this stunt may have unforeseen consequences.

If anything, it only helps the Cultist's argument that he is a troll with no actual insight.

No one cares

• Locked thread