Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not object to this becoming the Gen Con Megathread since it would not exactly be very mega. But I could also just basically copy/paste the opening post into a new thread with things appropriately updated.

On one hand I feel like the thread could be intimidating to new people if it is ongoing, but on the other...I could just say in the first page where the 2016 discussion starts and it is not like anyone minds answering repeated questions. So unless we have like STRINGENT OBJECTIONS that sounds good to me. Are any mods reading this to just take the 2015 out of the title? Obviously I can just ask one if not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Gen Con 2016: Join the Groupme

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Gen Con 2016: Join the Groupme

I'm not empty quoting this or anything. Just make sure you include in the OP mentions of bacon-sweats, and CARCREW.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Join the Groupme. Do it. Do it now

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Anyone else running events this year? I'm going to host some panel discussions - already submitted on one on using the crowdfunding site Patreon as a creator.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

Anyone else running events this year? I'm going to host some panel discussions - already submitted on one on using the crowdfunding site Patreon as a creator.

I'm running MAD MAX FURY ROAD in Gamma World. While dressed as a Warboy.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm running MAD MAX FURY ROAD in Gamma World. While dressed as a Warboy.

I have an amazing rpg crew that would be down for this soooo loving hard. Post the event info when its up?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I have an amazing rpg crew that would be down for this soooo loving hard. Post the event info when its up?

Will do. If you all sign up and miss some spots we can just do what we did last year and fit a few more folks on the table.

When events go up, this is mine: https://www.gencon.com/events/86959

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 7, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I might run a couple of scheduled sessions of Harnpocalypse again this year, but if people are interested I'll do pick-up games of that or stright-up Apocalypse World or something similar.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm running a Starting a Podcast seminar again this year.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The JW Marriott is open right now but its just there mega suite for 1127 a night.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The JW Marriott is open right now but its just there mega suite for 1127 a night.

too bad this is gone we could have pooled for a pretty suite room

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Fellis posted:

Boo this man

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fellis posted:

Boo!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I think someone may have had their eye on it for a suite of pretties.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

fordan posted:

I think someone may have had their eye on it for a suite of pretties.

ban this sick filth

there is only boardgames

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The 2 days I spent programming something that can check the Housing portal regularly paid off! $200/night Deluxe King at the Alexander! Thats soooo much better for the 4 people I'm going with than the airport hotel we got.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
D&D is officially starting to move out of the convention center. Practically this makes sense, but sucks symbolically. I wonder if this is how wargamers felt when gen con shifted away from them to rpgs.

Baldman game posted:

We are happy to announce our relocation to the attached Hyatt hotel and the Regency Ballroom on the 2nd floor (immediately in front of you when cross over the sky-bridge into the hotel). The entire ballroom will be dedicated to D&D tabletop games. We will have a separate area for our D&D eXPerience program @ Gen Con as well as a main hall area for our normal 4-hour games.

Some, I am sure, will express concerns regarding our move. The change is not requested by Gen Con nor is it due to Wizards of the Coast changing their convention presence. Continuing to be in Hall D was an option if we wanted it. We requested Gen Con Events to present us with options on how we could reduce noise levels and general chaos around our play space. After carefully reviewing those options, this move was by far the best choice. Our desire to give you, the players, a quality gaming experience far outweighs the visibility brought to us by remaining in the main hall.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Their location last year was awful, way too loud to play something like d&d. So it's great news for current players. As for gaining new players, if hasbro/wotc cared about that they should show up to gencon.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned they'd pay for instant alerts whenever a downtown hotel popped up, is anyone still interested in that? The tool I made still works and there's been loads of downtown hotels showing up recently.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not Gen Con talk but anyone in here been to Origins recently? I've never been, but am thinking of going this year if I can get my hotel covered by DMing enough D&D. Thoughts on the con or any must do/avoid things at it? Internet seems to have less info on Origins than I was expecting.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Not Gen Con talk but anyone in here been to Origins recently? I've never been, but am thinking of going this year if I can get my hotel covered by DMing enough D&D. Thoughts on the con or any must do/avoid things at it? Internet seems to have less info on Origins than I was expecting.
Yeah Origins seems like the biggest convention out there that has a SILENCE 15' RADIUS :smug: cast over it on the Internet. I assume it has something to do with its reputation as being the Serious Gaming Convention That Is Saving The Hobby From Magic: The Gathering...yes, as in, the people who attend stopped liking gaming in the early 1990s, and are hardly the most prolific Internet Users(tm). But there are worse reputations to have than "the convention far more focused on actual gaming than on the ephemera associated with gaming." (Though for me it is precisely the "Gaming Penumbra" that attracts me to Gen-Con so much)

ANYWAY THAT SAID

I am totally planning to go this year as a bizarre conflux of events means I need to go to Columbus at some point this summer anyway, so I might as well go then! Otherwise, thus far, my total attendance consists of precisely one day in 2008, and I doubt my recollections from then will help any questions you might have.

...Other than...dude. DUDE. Downtown Columbus is DEAD on the weekends, and I needed actual help figuring out where nearby was open to get food since I wanted something other than what was available in the convention center. Though that might have changed in subsequent years.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I can see that being an issue. The 3 Gen Con newbies I took with me last year had the same observation of Indianapolis during the day on Saturday and especially Sunday. Took us an hour to find somewhere open to eat breakfast before we went back to clean out our rooms. Not surprised to hear that about Columbus as well.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Sunday you go to Harry and Izzy's and get steaks for brunch c'mon man that's how it do

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dr. Quarex posted:

...Other than...dude. DUDE. Downtown Columbus is DEAD on the weekends, and I needed actual help figuring out where nearby was open to get food since I wanted something other than what was available in the convention center. Though that might have changed in subsequent years.

Used to live in Columbus for a little bit, and attended Origins a few additional times after that. The Arena District is a small, strange blend of tourist spots and semi-hidden bars sandwiched between downtown proper and the arts district, which is why it seems deader than the rest of town on the weekend, but there's a fair bit of eating around.

Other than the foodcourt in the Hyatt Regency's basement (attached to the convention center), you can go outside to the left of the convention center, cross the street from the Hyatt, and Nationwide Blvd has a few slightly pricier places to eat (I think there's a Buca, a mongolian BBQ (good for lunch), and a brazilian steakhouse).

Directly across from the convention center proper, next to the Hampton Inn, is Barley's Brewpub (good for food and drink alike) and behind that is North Market, an excellent place to get nearly anything to eat, though they close earlyish on the weekend. Go to North Market, seriously. Behind/surrounding North Market in basically a semicircle is assorted bars&grille&pubs (I'm only familiar with Bar Louie there, which has good food, but that area of bars is fairly active during the college season for weekend nightlife).

If you go right from the convention center and go up a block past the fancy-looking storefronts with the steak restaurant and coffeeshop/lounge and other stuff, you enter the Short North, which is full of assorted cafes, bars, coffee shops, and eclectic restaurants alike, varying from fancy dining to comfort food. The more you walk up that way, the more you'll find (or default by running into the eventual White Castle :v:)

COTA, the columbus metro bus system, runs a free circulator bus that goes through a limited route of that general region, dipping further downtown, if you don't feel like walking.

Protip: If you're a beer fan, Barley's releases a firkin cask of some sort fresh-brewed ale every Friday. It's usually gone by that evening or early Saturday, if you want to plan your visit around that.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 29, 2016

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sigma-X posted:

Sunday you go to Harry and Izzy's and get steaks for brunch c'mon man that's how it do

ALSO SHRIMP COCKTAIL

Mensa as a sponsor seems juuuuuuust about right, tbqh

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This might be contentious, but on the subject of food, skip the RAM. They're a perfectly fine and serviceable bar, but you're gonna be waiting an hour for a table then another 45 mins for food and drink. It's always ultra packed and I've never found the wait to be worth it. Others may disagree though.

My personal recommendation is Flaveli, the indian buffet place that's on S Meridian. Its very chill and has great food and is cheap as heck.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 2, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My personal recommendation is Flaveli, the indian buffet place that's on S Meridian. Its very chill and has great food and is cheap as heck.

I'm seconding this.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm seconding this.

Thirding this, this is exactly what happened to us last year.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Haveli is the name of the place. Flaveli is Flava Flave's lovely imitation.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah what that guy said. Google Street view isnt the best way to get a businesses name I guess

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

For the third year in a row, I will probably eat 2/3 of my meals at Loughmillers.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Ego Trip posted:

For the third year in a row, I will probably eat 2/3 of my meals at Loughmillers.

I really want this year to be the year I make it to Fogo de Chao. Stupid vegan friends.

But based on prior experience I will probably spend most of my time asking Backno where to eat and what to eat and following his advice to the letter. TO THE LETTER I SAY. Yats' etouffee still haunts my dreams, although sadly it is nowhere near downtown.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Backno should just open a Gencon menu service. Like :10bux: for a complete set of instructions for tasty food.
He already knows where the good food is, so he just needs a random number generator.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This might be contentious, but on the subject of food, skip the RAM. They're a perfectly fine and serviceable bar, but you're gonna be waiting an hour for a table then another 45 mins for food and drink. It's always ultra packed and I've never found the wait to be worth it. Others may disagree though.

I usually go to the ram at a friend's insistence, but i usually pick the time so it's an 11 AM lunch when you can snag a table right away. I sort of wish they weren't bought out by privateer press every year though.

For sure they get busy as gently caress since they're right on the main drag, it makes me wonder why the steak place - st elmos - across the street is usually empty though, maybe the preconception of a pricey meal?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm a fan of the RAM, mainly because of proximity and I like their beer and the atmosphere there during the con. I usually go by myself though or at really odd times with a group so 90% of the time I can grab a seat at the bar without a wait. I dunno, given Scotty's a try and some of the others place around and the RAM just says Gen Con to me in a way the other places don't. I imagine Steak and Shake is like that for many other attendees that don't drink.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

There are two Yats downtown. Not near convention land, but not terribly far if you wanna bike.

Indiana Ave. and Massachusetts Ave.

The new hotness though might be Clustertruck. It's a "food truck conglomerate" that has free delivery.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

saint gerald posted:

I really want this year to be the year I make it to Fogo de Chao. Stupid vegan friends.

But based on prior experience I will probably spend most of my time asking Backno where to eat and what to eat and following his advice to the letter. TO THE LETTER I SAY. Yats' etouffee still haunts my dreams, although sadly it is nowhere near downtown.

Don't worry, I will get you to a Yats when you get here.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sloober posted:

I usually go to the ram at a friend's insistence, but i usually pick the time so it's an 11 AM lunch when you can snag a table right away. I sort of wish they weren't bought out by privateer press every year though.

For sure they get busy as gently caress since they're right on the main drag, it makes me wonder why the steak place - st elmos - across the street is usually empty though, maybe the preconception of a pricey meal?

Trying to get a group of like 6 people, one of whom doesn't shower, and one of whom only drinks mountain dew, means it will be difficult to get those 6 people to all agree to be seen and order in a place where a meal starts at like $30 when you can go to Noodles & Co and eat for like $8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I need a good survival guide for GenCon, this is me and my friends first year going.

• Locked thread