Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just found out there's a new Daniel Clowes OGN out next week. Holy poo poo!
http://www.fantagraphics.com/patience/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The new Injection took me by surprise and I got a good solid laugh out of it.

HAIL DONGZILLA

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Wanderer posted:

The new Injection took me by surprise and I got a good solid laugh out of it.

HAIL DONGZILLA

Injection is coming along nicely.

In other news, Jonesy continues to be loving delightful.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just read the third trade of Wicked + Divine, and it felt almost entirely pointless? Which is a shame after two really good trades, but none of the characterizations really felt impactful, and a lot of it really felt kinda hilarious. Like Baphomet and Morrigan being textbook goth kids, and Sakhmet's issue felt like a good 5 or so pages were missing, since it basically went from "I'm aloof like a cat" to "cannibal" in like no time at all. Tara's moment would have been impactful and poignant if there was any sort of lead up to it, or if we had known Tara as anyone other than "loving Tara" throughout the rest of the series.

Did anyone else get this impression when they read through this "arc"?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah I agree. It felt very much like filler, especially after the second arc ended on such a strong note. The Tara and Morrigan issues were great I thought, but overall the look into these characters backstories doesn't make them feel very whole. If anything they come off far more shallow. The artists they chose were also kind of hit and miss.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I thought the Tara issue was really drat good, especially with what this series is doing with the whole "celebrities = gods" thing. We don't know much of anything about Tara other than she is a punchline for over a year. When we find that she is a real person who has to live with the constant 'loving Tara' jokes, and see the infamous two page spread, it is a punch in the gut. It forms a strong 'anti-internet shaming' message, and makes me really hate the bandwagon culture the internet has turned into.

The whole arc doesn't really move the plot, but that issue more than makes up for it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Anyone reading Starve?

It's the post-apocalyptic future and a renowned chef who started the cooking challenge show Starve has been forcibly un-retired, and is dealing with an ex-wife and the show manager trying to ruin him.

It is dumb as hell but I like the art and it's interesting.

Here's some pages:

In issue 4, the show's challenge is to take over kitchens at restaurants and run them:

like I said, dumb as hell but I'm enjoying it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 22, 2016

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Firstly I want to add my 2p and say I also loved the Tara issue of Wik+Div though I do agree some of the guest artists were a bit hit and miss (the way they did the Woden issue was cool, the but there was one that I didn't like the looks of, may have been Morrigan and Baphomet).
Second: I got issue 1 of Wytches for free as part of a promotion on Comixology and enjoyed it, does it stay good? I'm also a little worried it might be a little too like Clean Room meets Revival even though I like both.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is Wytches any good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Firstly I want to add my 2p and say I also loved the Tara issue of Wik+Div though I do agree some of the guest artists were a bit hit and miss (the way they did the Woden issue was cool, the but there was one that I didn't like the looks of, may have been Morrigan and Baphomet).
Second: I got issue 1 of Wytches for free as part of a promotion on Comixology and enjoyed it, does it stay good? I'm also a little worried it might be a little too like Clean Room meets Revival even though I like both.

McKelvie's art is a huge draw for me so the guest artists pretty much put me into trade mode for the book.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought Wytches was decent, not great. The series does stop on a "to be continued " but could sorta stand on its own. Art was pretty good, the witches were decently horrific, but without spoiling I didn't get a sense of why things were the way they were other than "because", and that's a bit of a tough sell given what's revealed.

I would have said similar albeit a bit more positive things if the first American Vampire trade was all there was. Both read like setup.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zachack posted:

I thought Wytches was decent, not great. The series does stop on a "to be continued " but could sorta stand on its own. Art was pretty good, the witches were decently horrific, but without spoiling I didn't get a sense of why things were the way they were other than "because", and that's a bit of a tough sell given what's revealed.

I would have said similar albeit a bit more positive things if the first American Vampire trade was all there was. Both read like setup.

Ah okay I will wait for season 2 and I am sure it will be on sale again then.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone read Mind MGMT? I just got the first hardcover from the library, and while I didn't expect to like it in the beginning due to the "crudeness" of Matt Kindt's art, I really like it, about five issues in. It has a nice slow burn mystery with sci-fi stuff going on in the background.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really liked it, which was surprising cause he was writing some really awful comics for DC at the time (outside of some neat Verigo anthology stories.)
I guess he does well at Valiant.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 3, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

His Valiant stuff is amazing. I really like Past Aways too. He and Venditti are amazing at Valiant and apparently suck at DC. Maybe the problem wasn't with them. Maybe they're just better when not writing within a big company's constraints and given freedom to go where they want with a story.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mind MGMT is the bomb, Kindt is the bomb, agreed that he and Venditti are somehow forced to suck by DC (even if I like Venditti's Green Lantern).

Early Tynion at DC burned me too, but The Woods and his more recent DC have turned me around on him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, The Woods is good poo poo. I've heard it's been in talks to go to TV and it would make a great show.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Yeah, The Woods is good poo poo. I've heard it's been in talks to go to TV and it would make a great show.

So's just about every indie comic. I'm waiting for my disappointing Letter 44 pilot :mad:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

So's just about every indie comic. I'm waiting for my disappointing Letter 44 pilot :mad:

That would be a hard one to make, but yeah it's great too. The Woods, Letter 44, The Sixth Gun, Wasteland, and Revival are my top picks for shows I want to see based on comics. I'm not sure anyone would watch Wasteland though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

These days, if a semi-big name has an indie comic coming out, it feels like there's a 70% chance it's been optioned before the first issue hits.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Letter 44 would be too terribly difficult to make. Focus more on the earth-bound politics, and save your effects budget for a few episodes set in space.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Letter 44 is being made, I thought? Though given what happens later on, I am struggling to imagine it all on a modest TV budget.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Mind MGMT is really good, my only issue is kindt loves to s t r e t c h things out. like if you read it all in one go now it will seem fine but month to month was rough sometimes never bendis levels tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah MGMT was great. I'm having trouble remembering a comic I was reading at the same time, it was as almost Miyazaki like, but way more adult, written and drawn by a dude that used to do reeeeaally adult comics. It involved a dude with a werewolf netherparts? It really is better than my description sounds.

Also well did Prophet wrap up? There was so much amazing build-up in that comic.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Yeah MGMT was great. I'm having trouble remembering a comic I was reading at the same time, it was as almost Miyazaki like, but way more adult, written and drawn by a dude that used to do reeeeaally adult comics. It involved a dude with a werewolf netherparts? It really is better than my description sounds.

Also well did Prophet wrap up? There was so much amazing build-up in that comic.

It sounds like you are thinking about multiple warheads?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Hurt posted:

It sounds like you are thinking about multiple warheads?

That's the one, thanks.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

trashbuilder posted:

Mind MGMT is really good, my only issue is kindt loves to s t r e t c h things out. like if you read it all in one go now it will seem fine but month to month was rough sometimes never bendis levels tho

I read the first few issues of Mind MGMT and then decided to stop reading but keep the sub. Now I've got the whole stack and need to just binge it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Prophet Earth War #3 of 6 comes out this week.

Multiple Warheads is running in Island now, and the next issue is supposed to be out next month. I'm not sure if 8house is still going though.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 4, 2016

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I just finished The Fade Out by Brubaker and Phillips. I was already a huge fan of their work, but drat, that was a great, if depressing, story.

They both did an amazing job of the real actor cameos, and Breitweiser absolutely killed it on the coloring everywhere.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

Prophet Earth War #3 of 6 comes out this week.

Multiple Warheads is running in Island now, and the next issue is supposed to be out next month. I'm not sure if 8house is still going though.

8house comics are still coming out, but they're dropping the branding/main series thing. Mirror #2 came out last week or so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Letter 44 is being made, I thought? Though given what happens later on, I am struggling to imagine it all on a modest TV budget.

I don't think the latter stuff is really difficult on a TV budget. It certainly wouldn't cost more than a typical Star Trek episodes, and likely a lot less since you don't have to custom design and construct all the costumes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rainbow coloured metal stuff is very expensive.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I don't mean the aliens, chums, that's the easy stuff. I mean World War loving Three! Reducing all of it to scenes of dudes muttering to each other and staring at screens in the Presidential bunker would feel kind of lame.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Letter 44 would almost make a better cartoon, if only for the sake of the effects budget.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What are people's thoughts about Saga? I just burned through everything in a week or so and I love it. It's so bizarre and strange but very fun to read (is there a thread for it?).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

WicDiv is back, and there won't be any more hiatuses until the end of the book. :getin:

Also: there are lots of explosions and thank God the pacing is back, and goddamn there's a lot that we need to be caught up on

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a thread but it hasn't been posted in since July.

I'm keeping up with it, but I think it lost something somewhere.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Image Expo dropped some real great sounding titles coming.

New books from Azzarello/Risso, Brubaker/Phillips, Hickman, Remender/Opena, Fletcher/Stewart/Tarr(!) plus a return to comics from Karen Berger.

Here's a breakdown of the announced titles:
http://comicsalliance.com/image-expo-2016-all-the-news-and-announcements/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The first issue of The Fix was great. I love the way Spencer and Lieber work together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

WicDiv is back, and there won't be any more hiatuses until the end of the book. :getin:

Also: there are lots of explosions and thank God the pacing is back, and goddamn there's a lot that we need to be caught up on

Laura's back and pissed