Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
What is this thread about?

Love,
Vitalis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
being a man, which means get a job and pay bills. anyone can be a man

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Being a man means that once you start growing pubes, people stop giving a gently caress about your birthday and you should expect no further joy from this world

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

JiveHonky posted:

being a man, which means get a job and pay bills. anyone can be a man

Wow, I'm there! I have a job and I pay bills! The bill-paying thing is menial, though, because I don't like to acquire a lot of stuff. I do enjoy shopping around and whatnot because of the people interaction, but I don't buy many things because I don't need many things.

And that makes me think about the burden of possessions. I think the more stuff you own, the more burdened you are . . . because, in so many ways, the stuff you "own" actually owns you. You are burdened with the need to store that stuff, protect it, move it, repair it, clean it, keep it out of the way, step around it, what have you. So I try and throw stuff away frequently. My wife isn't like that, and she likes keeping stuff because "it might be worth something someday," or "we might use this." That's bullshit in my world, though. If it's not worth my effort now, I'm not going to dedicate any of my time making it worth more in the future. I prefer to keep things simple.

Philosophically, freedom can only be experienced by the man that owns nothing.

Thoughts?

Love,
Vitalis

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Thoughts?

Love,
Vitalis

Sounds like maybe you should crawl back in to your clay jar there, Diogenes, and let the rest of us cook this tasty ribeye

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

Sounds like maybe you should crawl back in to your clay jar there, Diogenes, and let the rest of us cook this tasty ribeye

I'm fine with the ribeye, ElGroucho, because I don't have to take care of it through possession. I just eat it and poo poo it out. And don't get me wrong--I have possessions that make me happy, and I keep those. But I'm picky. I don't have time to gently caress around with burdensome stuff that doesn't serve my needs.

Love,
Vitalis

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Wow, I'm there! I have a job and I pay bills! The bill-paying thing is menial, though, because I don't like to acquire a lot of stuff. I do enjoy shopping around and whatnot because of the people interaction, but I don't buy many things because I don't need many things.

And that makes me think about the burden of possessions. I think the more stuff you own, the more burdened you are . . . because, in so many ways, the stuff you "own" actually owns you. You are burdened with the need to store that stuff, protect it, move it, repair it, clean it, keep it out of the way, step around it, what have you. So I try and throw stuff away frequently. My wife isn't like that, and she likes keeping stuff because "it might be worth something someday," or "we might use this." That's bullshit in my world, though. If it's not worth my effort now, I'm not going to dedicate any of my time making it worth more in the future. I prefer to keep things simple.

Thoughts?

Love,
Vitalis

I know what you mean, my PC owned me the other week by killing the motherboard with a bad PSU! I did some digging but apparently I bought a warranty for it back when I bought it so the jokes on you, causality! Now I'm getting a motherboard for free (or at least $10 from 2012)

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I know what you mean, my PC owned me the other week by killing the motherboard with a bad PSU! I did some digging but apparently I bought a warranty for it back when I bought it so the jokes on you, causality! Now I'm getting a motherboard for free (or at least $10 from 2012)

I dunno, that sounds stressful as poo poo. You should have thrown out that old PC and bought a new one instead of buying a warranty and keeping track of it all this time. See how much worry that caused?

Love,
Vitalis

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Vitalis, if I ever ever suspect you have stopped loving me...

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
My phone is from 2009. it's an LG.

I was told today it was cute.

Don't know how to feel about it tbh.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Thanks for all the advice. I agree that it wouldn't be healthy to put a lot of pressure on my boyfriend to change for me, so I'll just tell him my concerns and offer to cook with him. If he learns to cook, it will be because he wants to and I support that decision; if he doesn't learn, that will be on him.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I agree that it wouldn't be healthy to put a lot of pressure on my boyfriend to change for me, so I'll just tell him my concerns and offer to cook with him. If he learns to cook, it will be because he wants to and I support that decision; if he doesn't learn, that will be on him.

What is this perfectly rational opinion doing on these boards?!?!?

MODS!!!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Pththya-lyi posted:

Actaully you should use psychological and sexual torture to manipulate him into becoming your food cook slave imho

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
my wife bought me cooking lessons for christmas last year and that was a nice way of saying "i wish you were a better cook" without nagging or giving me weird ultimatums or pressuring me. turns out i had a great time and now im cooking leg of lamb and all kinds of poo poo u see on tv its great

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

now im cooking all kinds of poo poo u see on tv its great

I watch the cat from hell and the worlds cutest puppies on animal planet, monster

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
wheres this notion coming from that you shouldn't try to change your partner

if your partner is garbage, you should try to chagne it

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

ChairmanMeow posted:

I watch the cat from hell and the worlds cutest puppies on animal planet, monster

kitten meat is by far the most succulent, sorry not sorry

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zzulu posted:

probably easier to change partners.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Zzulu posted:

Yeah change..... It?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've only ever had relationships with anime

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I've only ever had relationships with anime

Checks out

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

an animorph book cover but it's a fat goon who can't cook a steak turning into dwayne "the rock" johnson wearing a chefs hat

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

8 track betamax posted:

Actaully you should use psychological and sexual torture to manipulate him into becoming your food cook slave imho

Your ideas are intriguing to me

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8 track betamax posted:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Digital Fingers posted:

an animorph book cover but it's a fat goon who can't cook a steak turning into dwayne "the rock" johnson wearing a chefs hat

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
other bands play, manowar kills

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is Vitalis a loving Math Debater rereg? Good god

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

Is that the autist who Capitalized Every Word?

What have we done.....

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Sheep Goats is German, have some empathy, his English is better than 99% of the American's

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEeQZhJh9Nw

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho posted:

Is that the autist who Capitalized Every Word?

What have we done.....

I don't even know where to start with Math Debater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dCI3usqXsM

raton fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 4, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ChairmanMeow posted:

Sheep Goats is German, have some empathy, his English is better than 99% of the American's

Hola frawlien

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hello fellow men. What are we chatting about today?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Dicks.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

GWAR will kill you and rape your corpse, so who wins here

definitely not me

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Zzulu posted:

we have evolved past even the gentlest pushes towards mild self-improvement

these are truly star trek times

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hard counter posted:

we have evolved past even the gentlest pushes towards mild self-improvement

these are truly star trek times

But Star Trek humans were all about self-improvement.

In fact it was one of the only things they were about since it's not like you're gonna get paid for doing any work lol

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sheep-Goats posted:

it's weird but it's a good, wholesome kind of weird, let 'im alone

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

you don't see picard going back to earth to try and motivate the billions of humans who've opted to live vain lives of gross indulgence thanks to the elimination of scarcity

he respects their life choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

it's weird but it's a good, wholesome kind of weird, let 'im alone

I can't put up with the post signing man

• Locked thread