Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
I also need a re invite

ign

Tri_Fire_Two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
So I got a Drillneck and decided to vaal it because :science:

And I have no idea how to tell if this is good or if I made it worthless

Is the damage increased by pierce chance the point of the thing? Or is the weakness skill actually a good thing?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
You made it worse :toot:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Dramatika posted:

So I got a Drillneck and decided to vaal it because :science:

And I have no idea how to tell if this is good or if I made it worthless

Is the damage increased by pierce chance the point of the thing? Or is the weakness skill actually a good thing?

From the wiki: "This does not include the additional chance for enemies cursed with Projectile Weakness to be pierced."

It's not bad, just don't actually cast Proj Weakness. But you did lose the 10% pierce chance implicit.

edit: Question about damage conversion, if I use Lightning Arrow so 50% of its physical damage is converted to lightning, would the effect of another source of phys->something convert the other 50% to something else, or does that affect a portion of my damage before Lightning Arrow is taken into account? Basically, can I get LA to deal only lightning/elemental damage?

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 4, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think the only thing anyone actually wants on it is adds an extra arrow.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Safari Disco Lion posted:

edit: Question about damage conversion, if I use Lightning Arrow so 50% of its physical damage is converted to lightning, would the effect of another source of phys->something convert the other 50% to something else, or does that affect a portion of my damage before Lightning Arrow is taken into account? Basically, can I get LA to deal only lightning/elemental damage?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion

Lightning Arrow + Blackgleam, for example, would do 50% of your physical as lightning, and the other 50% as fire, leaving you with no physical damage left. (adding more conversions would change the values due to the scaling mentioned in the wiki page)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Magus42 posted:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion

Lightning Arrow + Blackgleam, for example, would do 50% of your physical as lightning, and the other 50% as fire, leaving you with no physical damage left. (adding more conversions would change the values due to the scaling mentioned in the wiki page)

Oh, I was reading that and totally missed they almost used exactly what I said. :v: Thanks.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

So, i started playing again for a bit on the weekend, followed some Scion Sparker build and while it's been fun to clear stuff, i suck at killing bosses.

Also i have to always be pressing the mana flask cause i keep running out of mana constantly. Might be my gear or the build or lack of ability but not having much fun.

Think i'll start a new character for now, maybe a trapper or archer maybe? Totems look nice but boring. (Don't really like the melee builds or rather the melee animations.)

if anyone has recommendations for builds like that for a relative new player, i wouldn't mind either!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

madstrike posted:

So, i started playing again for a bit on the weekend, followed some Scion Sparker build and while it's been fun to clear stuff, i suck at killing bosses.

Also i have to always be pressing the mana flask cause i keep running out of mana constantly. Might be my gear or the build or lack of ability but not having much fun.

Think i'll start a new character for now, maybe a trapper or archer maybe? Totems look nice but boring. (Don't really like the melee builds or rather the melee animations.)

if anyone has recommendations for builds like that for a relative new player, i wouldn't mind either!

trapper archer and totems are all nice options

ranked by gear requirement:
rf totems requires like no gear
trapper also needs like no gear
archer is pretty hefty with its requirements

survivability:
trapper / totems about even, you're not in melee range and can dance around dodging stuff
archer has a bit of dodge but can get wrecked easy

damage:
single target trapper wins
aoe archer wins
rf totems is somewhere in between both

personally I'm rf totems, I've touted its strength for a while now, and people have tended to agree

Manyorcas posted:

I've been using this on my second real character (Vornalg) and compared to the blundering experiment that was my first my power just feels staggering. I beat Cruel Malachai without even breaking a sweat (Cruel Labyrinth was a bit tricky but done roughly at level) whereas on my first character I had to suicide ~10 times into him to do enough damage. The damage is outrageous, It's easy to dodge AoE spam while still killing things, and I feel like I've learned a fair amount about totems and skill gem setups.

BUT if the gameplay doesn't look fun then don't do it. flame totem and spark totem are boring I will admit that, but rf totem is a big "gently caress off" circle of death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtFP8i3WoI
edit: the guy in the vid isn't even that good, a real build melts even elites the same time as white mobs

it's rad, the end

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I am a dumb and noob player but I've been having fun with my summoner build. I had a few low-level minion-improving items lying around so I don't know how a fresh start would be like, but from my experience it's rough in the first few levels, but really picks up as you get more minions, and they get better. I'll see how badly I fail well I do in Merciless (currently at act 3 cruel, will be trying the labyrinth).

For my dumb and noob build I grabbed every minion node in range and bled quite a bit into the Templar tree. Am grabbing every life node I can find, too, and I'll probably be bleeding into the Scion tree for the crunchy life nodes. I haven't grabbed a keystone yet, though I might consider getting Mind Over Matter or totem nodes.

E: my only gripe with the build is how socket-dependent it is. I eat Chromatics, Jeweller's, and Fusings like candy.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 4, 2016

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I'm at like 40k tooltip on earthquake with a 5L marohi, which doesn't include the aftershock which goes off after every swing since I have the hat enchant. The aftershock also does 79% more damage, so it's really like 111k dps as a RT build :stare:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pooncha posted:

E: my only gripe with the build is how socket-dependent it is. I eat Chromatics, Jeweller's, and Fusings like candy.

please don't waste fusings and jewelers on bad gear. Find new gear on poe.trade for 1c or less with 4 links in it
http://poe.trade/search/hunogenaniseyo

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Pooncha posted:

I am a dumb and noob player but I've been having fun with my summoner build. I had a few low-level minion-improving items lying around so I don't know how a fresh start would be like, but from my experience it's rough in the first few levels, but really picks up as you get more minions, and they get better. I'll see how badly I fail well I do in Merciless (currently at act 3 cruel, will be trying the labyrinth).

For my dumb and noob build I grabbed every minion node in range and bled quite a bit into the Templar tree. Am grabbing every life node I can find, too, and I'll probably be bleeding into the Scion tree for the crunchy life nodes. I haven't grabbed a keystone yet, though I might consider getting Mind Over Matter or totem nodes.

Generally summoners are bad at leveling.
Zombies are good meat shields, but you shouldn't need meat shields.
Skeletons take way too much time to keep up, and kill too slowly.
Spectre is bad unless you can guarantee constant access to appropriate mobs - and you can't do that while leveling. It's also highly reliant on links.
SRS is your best bet, but so much of its scaling comes from passive nodes interacting to generate exponential returns. It doesn't really start getting good until you start stacking up minion nodes, cast speed, spell echo, skill duration, etc. That's somewhere around level 40-60 depending on build.

Since you're probably pathing your tree through a bunch of intelligence and maybe even some spell casting nodes, you're generally better off leveling with spells until pretty late in the game. Probably A3 Merciless for a classic spectre summoner and around Cruel A3-A4 for an SRS build.

But hey, anything works, it just takes longer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm still having trouble in normal labyrinth at 40 - the bosses health is fine, but I'm still dying quickly and yesterday made it to the last phase and died. Is it just a matter of defenses at this point? In using the tornado arrow build on the forums.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Torrean/characters

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

I'm still having trouble in normal labyrinth at 40 - the bosses health is fine, but I'm still dying quickly and yesterday made it to the last phase and died. Is it just a matter of defenses at this point? In using the tornado arrow build on the forums.

My 86 evasion lightning arrow character still has trouble with merc lab. Some builds are just really bad at them. Your defenses do seem a bit low, but it should be doable in a level or two? Worst case scenario you come back at 55 with a 5L and decimate the place.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Evasion characters probably have it the worst in Lab since Izaro deals mostly bursty physical damage (which is great for all that not-armor you have). One poo poo RNG result = insta-death. Plus all of the traps minus one are physical based.

Unrelated question: are Essence Drain/Contagion as bad as the official forums make them out to be? I kinda want to roll an Occultist that uses Void Beacon and Blasphemy auras to weaken the poo poo out of enemies, but pure chaos skills are very scarce (my other idea involved a 2x Consuming Dark setup so I could use fire skills, but mana consumption turned out to be a problem).

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Essence Drain and Contagion are actually pretty great, they are just painful during the leveling process, especially on limited links. They get much better in maps with higher monster density.

Ghazzy has a great guide to a Trickster ED character, but you can adapt the basic ideas to an Occultist also.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1625254

A guild member of mine is playing a CI Occultist ED character with Xirgil's and doing amazing in the mid 90s, soloing anything up through T15 maps without issues. You can see his character here, Anom_Blasphemer

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/GDP/characters

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
raizQT has made a few RF ED/Contagion builds that clear super fast on his youtube channel

nugiyen is playing a non-RF ED/Contagion on his stream in this Solo Self Found Challenge in PHC and doing fine, he's even done it as a Champion - I think he's also 100% Pierce

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Cinara posted:

A guild member of mine is playing a CI Occultist ED character with Xirgil's and doing amazing in the mid 90s, soloing anything up through T15 maps without issues. You can see his character here, Anom_Blasphemer

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/GDP/characters

My LL Occultist/ED with Xirgil's is similar. It's pretty broken, I haven't had trouble with anything in the game, and the only thing I haven't tried is Uber Atziri.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Mr E posted:

The build's great, but you will have some issues with the spike damage from Izaro. Basically, don't stand still much. Couple of shots, move, couple of shots, move. If you keep running around it's a lot harder for his spike hits to actually hit. Also, he has tells for a couple of his moves, learn them and get the gently caress outta dodge when you see it.

Edit: Only having a 3-link is probably not helping you. You in the guild? There should be some better stuff in the guildstash you can loot.

Valle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 4, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Elerion posted:

Generally summoners are bad at leveling.
Zombies are good meat shields, but you shouldn't need meat shields.
Skeletons take way too much time to keep up, and kill too slowly.
Spectre is bad unless you can guarantee constant access to appropriate mobs - and you can't do that while leveling. It's also highly reliant on links.
SRS is your best bet, but so much of its scaling comes from passive nodes interacting to generate exponential returns. It doesn't really start getting good until you start stacking up minion nodes, cast speed, spell echo, skill duration, etc. That's somewhere around level 40-60 depending on build.

Since you're probably pathing your tree through a bunch of intelligence and maybe even some spell casting nodes, you're generally better off leveling with spells until pretty late in the game. Probably A3 Merciless for a classic spectre summoner and around Cruel A3-A4 for an SRS build.

But hey, anything works, it just takes longer.

My general workforce consists of 10 zombies (not sure if Montregul is worth losing 5 of them), 4 spectres, a stone golem, and an animated guardian. Curiously the guardian can wear higher leveled equipment than me so that was a good way to clean up high-leveled trash gear. If I need extra bodies I summon an SRS totem and/or Vaal Summon Skeletons. Currently, the zombies, golem, and guardian are linked to life+speed+damage, and the spectres are linked to damage.

Normally I would supplement with spells but I am doing a pacifistic challenge build so I am not attacking mobs directly. I direct the minions by casting curses (usually Enfeeble), Bone/Flesh Offerings, and sometimes the good old Lightning Warp+Convocation combo.

For auras, I currently have Wrath linked to Generosity. I'll see if I can get some mana reducing nodes so I can squeeze in another aura. I also have the whatsit head gear that gives a 15% damage boost to nearby allies and minions at the cost of me dealing 30% less damage.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

I started playing a couple weeks ago running the same build, ate poo poo on my first through fifth attempts at normal lab, can currently knock out merc lab in about twenty minutes, and have some advice. Some general, some specific to the lab:

*Spend some currency linking up that Death's harp. It's an incredible bow for leveling, I used it all the way through 66, and if it's well socketed and linked, you'll get the money back selling it when you outgrow it, that build is HUNGRY for links. 4l would be great, anything more than that is frosting
*If you've completed Act IV, go buy a Greater Multiple Projectiles gem from Petarus and Vanja and swap out the Lesser Multiple Projectiles on your TS. If you haven't, ask someone in your guild for one. If you're not in a guild, whisper me next time I'm on and I'll give you one(same name as here). If it's not causing you mana problems, stick a faster attacks on that open link
*That hat is terrible for the build you're doing, any mod that affects armor is effectively useless once you pick up acrobatics
*Try to find some boots with movespeed. Especially in the labyrinth, this build lives or dies by it's ability to not be where huge hits land
*If your mana situation is good, get Hatred or Herald of Ice. These will up your damage significantly, and provide a bit of defense through chilling. You'll want to run both, eventually.
*Try to get a 4l aoe skill and a 4l single target skill. Frenzy and blast rain are great for this and very comfortable to use. Blast rain+concentrated effect can put out some hilarious damage

Really though the thing that will help is just learning how to fight Izaro, and learning to get the hell out of the way of his big hits. Practice moving around with blink arrow. I'd take a break from trying for a little bit and level. You can grab blood drinker and fangs of the viper in the next six levels, and that will make things a whole lot easier.

If you're not in the goon guild, you should probably get there. There's plenty of gear in the guild stash that would also power you up.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Mr E posted:

You have a total of 60 +life and about 100 total resists on your gear. That is bad and it's the reason you are melting.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elerion posted:

You have a total of 60 +life and about 100 total resists on your gear. That is bad and it's the reason you are melting.

This right here. Only 45% on the tree, and barely any on gear.

Also Mr E you have some wasted points. The 2 +10 dex nodes that make a loop in the ranger start can go away. I would respec them and head up to blood drinker ASAP.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

This right here. Only 45% on the tree, and barely any on gear.

Also Mr E you have some wasted points. The 2 +10 dex nodes that make a loop in the ranger start can go away. I would respec them and head up to blood drinker ASAP.

I just noticed there's actually three he can get rid of, absolutely go respec those in the direction of blood drinker.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What should I do with my duelist here?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Arrath777/characters

I'm pretty drat tanky but my tooltip DPS for Ice Crash is only ~13k.

Obviously: 6l chest. Maybe switch to Earthquake or something if I can spec to do it. Would that take better advantage of my Varunastra?
Maybe: respec my first two skill points over to the Strength side from attack speed. Get 30% boots. Rings with more life. New belt?
Otherwise, keep churning gear and hopefully find some all-round upgrades? Also, reroll my burning potion away from sapping.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 4, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arrath posted:

What should I do with my duelist here?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Arrath777/characters

I'm pretty drat tanky but my tooltip DPS for Ice Crash is only ~13k.

Obviously: 6l chest. Maybe switch to Earthquake or something if I can spec to do it. Would that take better advantage of my Varunastra?
Maybe: respec my first two skill points over to the Strength side from attack speed. Get 30% boots. Rings with more life. New belt?
Otherwise, keep churning gear and hopefully find some all-round upgrades? Also, reroll my burning potion away from sapping.

switch to EQ
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1624198
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1619894

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cheers, I'll hamfist some twisted abomination together from my current build.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll look into repecing some points when I get home along with my gear. I may do another character now that I'm understanding more about defenses and stuff that I didn't with this character.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

That's the PoE spirit!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Mr E posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll look into repecing some points when I get home along with my gear. I may do another character now that I'm understanding more about defenses and stuff that I didn't with this character.

This is similar to something I learned on my first character - I knew from the OP I should shoot for a huge % of +life in the passive tree, but I didn't quite put two and two together and realize that that +%life includes the life from gear, not just base life, so you have to get both to get an effective pool of hp.

So in my slow, steady playing I've finally reached maps :toot: Every map so far I've found has been tier 1 though, and after a test run or two I'm still not finding anything higher. Should I just keep running tier 1 maps until I find better ones, stick with Dried Lake for a bit, or just trade for a decent few maps to skip a few rungs on the ladder (assuming high tier maps in turn drop more high tier maps).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Honestly, the start of my map pool was just from running Zana missions. You'll obviously need to get her into your hideout first, so if you can bum a mission or two off of someone else that'll help you greatly.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.
You can only get higher tier maps from inside maps, so if you have a few already you might as well start doing them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Manyorcas posted:

So in my slow, steady playing I've finally reached maps :toot: Every map so far I've found has been tier 1 though, and after a test run or two I'm still not finding anything higher. Should I just keep running tier 1 maps until I find better ones, stick with Dried Lake for a bit, or just trade for a decent few maps to skip a few rungs on the ladder (assuming high tier maps in turn drop more high tier maps).
Outside of maps you'll only find tier 1 maps. In maps you can get up to two tiers higher than the map you're in.

Seconding the advice to run Zana missions and join groups for dailies (or just ask if people want to form one). Soon you will end up like me, with a full tab of useless lovely low tier maps :smith:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theshim posted:

Outside of maps you'll only find tier 1 maps. In maps you can get up to two tiers higher than the map you're in.

Seconding the advice to run Zana missions and join groups for dailies (or just ask if people want to form one). Soon you will end up like me, with a full tab of useless lovely low tier maps :smith:
That's when you make chisels out of them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I can only find so many hammers!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just start running tier 1s. you will find zana sooner or later and she will start selling you higher tiers which will hopefully drop higher maps. im kind of stagnating around t10 right now. hard to get drops for higher maps even investing some chaos into iiq% but i am destroying everything i can get. might have to start buying some t11+ maps from trade or something. and i do have a complete set of atziri things....

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Manyorcas posted:

How are you rolling them? For t1, you should be transmuting then rolling Alts until it's +30% quality with mods you can handle. If you're feeling cheeky and/or flush with currency, alching lower tiers can get you quality in the 50-70% range and boost your pool. Although most folks recommend saving alchs for T9 or higher.

To get an unid Museum, can I sell 5 id'd alch'd ones? This is part of my 'too many low maps' problem, so perhaps I should be looking up chisel recipes instead.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

theshim posted:

Why not at least vendor those maps for a tier higher. Yeah you would probably find them if you actually ran the map, but it does save time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Vinktar Square is level 80, and has boatloads of trash and bosses. Getting the materials costs about 30-45c. That's a lot of potential high level map drops.

• Locked thread