Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Norns posted:

Nico having a possibility at the WDC is loving shameful. Lewis should be ashamed.

I hope that Rosberg wins the next two WDC so Lewis' record can be 3/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mrfart posted:

So did any of the drivers show up in the Panama Papers already?
Reddit or someone said Montezemolo and Trulli were in it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Nico is going pull a Makh Webba by leading the WDC until the final 5 races when Lewis wins them all in succession, there that's the 2016 F1 season.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

El Hefe posted:

Nico is going pull a Makh Webba by leading the WDC until the final 5 races when Lewis wins them all in succession, there that's the 2016 F1 season.
That would be the F1 we deserve. That or Super Seb moves to Mercedes and then a german wins the next 5 WDCs in a German car.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
he lives

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/716978977768873984

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

El Hefe posted:

No I really want to read more stories of racing mom.

My mothers stories are all about rallycross in a mini and later a Ford Capri I'm afraid, I can't find footage from her era because it wasn't shown on TV. These are from 5-10 years later if you want to know how crazy they all were back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGqADxBTvfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv_qOeOLYMg

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
That second video is loving great, props to your mom if she actually raced with those maniacs.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

mi pregunta es McLaren es una mierda

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

track day bro! posted:

mi pregunta es McLaren es una mierda

that's not a question buddy

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Dr. Wang posted:

I hope that Rosberg wins the next two WDC so Lewis' record can be 3/5.

Wow

Please add this to the OP for Are Glorious Haas
https://twitter.com/circuitamericas/status/717066060059385856

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

learnincurve posted:

My mothers stories are all about rallycross in a mini and later a Ford Capri I'm afraid, I can't find footage from her era because it wasn't shown on TV. These are from 5-10 years later if you want to know how crazy they all were back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGqADxBTvfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv_qOeOLYMg

Did she ever meet John Button?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

gret posted:

Did she ever meet John Button?

Nope, sorry, John Button was racing in the late 70s and 1980s. Footage of his famous crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha0JoWz4EaM

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Haas is the hero this sport needs.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
But not the one it deserves

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bring back Jacques

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Stoffel was pretty impressive in the McLaren. Shame they don't have a real car to put him in.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

Bring back Jacques

Zoran GP is coming, any season now with lead driver their jacks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
God bless him gosh darn it - Gene Haas said "heck" 4 times in one breath when talking to the press about the Race

Formula 1 2016 - I'm a heck of a Haas man.

e: too soon.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 4, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seriously who do I need to PM to get the title changed to "I'm a Haasman"?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I only like Frenchmen in my Haas.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

I did my best to push it.

Sports Argument Stadium > Formula 1 2016: I'm a Haasman

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Haas is the hero this sport needs.

it's obvious they've done something right considering how pissed off many of the other midfield teams are

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

I only like Frenchmen in my Haas.

:golfclap:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

can Gigi Gali do it?

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

mrfart posted:

So did any of the drivers show up in the Panama Papers already?

Yep: German TV news tonight is running with the story that Rosberg has been named.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

be nice wicka posted:

it's obvious they've done something right considering how pissed off many of the other midfield teams are
Yeah they just bought Ferrari parts. Seems like a sensible thing to do. Maybe someone should buy Mercedes parts? They'd be 2nd in the WCC easy.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Romain Grosjean has more points than Vettel right now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah they just bought Ferrari parts. Seems like a sensible thing to do. Maybe someone should buy Mercedes parts? They'd be 2nd in the WCC easy.

No but you see then they wouldn't be "constructors" :qq:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

keevo posted:

Romain Grosjean has more points than Vettel right now.

I'm okay with this.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Toro Rosso beating themselves for not doing the Haas thing for years.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Riso posted:

Isnt that how they pretty much started out sharing redbulls chassis until they closed that loophole and Haas only managed it because they werent technicly a team?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

That's presumably why they switched to Renault power.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Europeans don't like it when an American team comes in and does it better than they do right off the bat? You would think they would be used to that by now.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

daslog posted:

Europeans don't like it when an American team comes in and does it better than they do right off the bat? You would think they would be used to that by now.

The Haas-Lola, which wasn't really a Lola, was the last one and results were very mediocre. Penske did fairly well though.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

track day bro! posted:

Isnt that how they pretty much started out sharing redbulls chassis until they closed that loophole and Haas only managed it because they werent technicly a team?

Originally they were just assembling stuff delivered by the main team until the rules change. They apparently didn't buy everything they could wholesale from the main team afterwards though.

The Haas loophole is not buying everything they can, but the shenanigans with Ferrari engineers working on their car in the wind tunnel.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

appendix 6 listed parts:

Monocoque
Survival cell
Front impact structures
Regulations
Roll over structures
Bodywork as defined in Article 1.4 of the F1 Technical Regulations and regulated by Article 3 of the F1 Technical Regulations with the exception of airboxes, engine exhausts and any prescribed bodywork geometries
Wings
Floor
Diffuser

the aforementioned article 1.4: All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras, camera housings and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are considered to be part of the bodywork.

all of the above is what haas has to manufacture themselves. anything else they can buy from ferrari or another competitor. article 3 details bodywork dimensions, btw, and that exception is why the haas car can legally be the exact same measurements as the ferrari (and i think it is). what's fascinating about this is that the suspension components are considered unsprung, and considering how crucial the forward suspension geometry is to downstream airflow, they have effectively designed parts of the bodywork around the suspension. which is totally bizarre.

this is why all the other teams are mad. conventional wisdom suggests this shouldn't work. F1 components are bespoke because they each influence the design of other components; it's a give and take. buying off the shelf parts should greatly compromise the performance of their car, but somehow it didn't, and now you've got a lot of people (myself included) feeling like dummies.

fyi: this isn't a loophole and these rules weren't changed. anyone can still do this.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

Good management, good forsight, I'm impressed by them totally above what I expected

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather see new teams do it this way than spend millions being eternal backmarkers like Caterham and plucky Manor.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Can anyone buy this stuff from manufacturers, or do they have to agree to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

track day bro! posted:

I'd rather see new teams do it this way than spend millions being eternal backmarkers like Caterham and plucky Manor.

Yeah and its infinitely more entertaining for us the fans, Williams and Toro Rosso probably feel differently though, if Haas keeps it up they'll finish the season ahead of them too.

• Locked thread