Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just finished After the Saucers Landed and I, uh... didn't "get it". I mean I knew I wouldn't get it going in, but I especially didn't get what was probably the most coherent and straightforward part of the narrative: why did Ralph Reality bother to change places with George Bush?

I thought the entire point of the book was that the aliens destroyed human worldview, not human society, but then it takes an abrupt shift into politically "Body Snatcher" rather than the ridiculous mindfuck life-swapping things that they had been doing previously and continue to do after. I don't know, it felt somehow dissonant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anilEhilated posted:

Makes one appreciate the attitude of Steven Erikson, whose response on people asking how to pronounce his multi-apostrophed monstrosities was "however the hell you want".
When I was in middle school, one of my friends passed me my first Drizzt novel by Salvatore.. He quietly insisted "you can read this but you have to remember - his name is pronounced, 'Dritts'".

I still think of the name that way even though I'm fully aware that the author has told people how to pronounce it (Drist). :laugh:

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's always been "drizzit" for me

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

xian posted:

It's always been "drizzit" for me

Same here.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I totally get that as well - I just think it's a cute anecdote about how you can totally gently caress up pronunciation for something in a SF/F novel because *reasons* and do fine, but never ever change your mind no matter how absolutely silly it may be in hindsight.

Not as silly as the author forgetting/changing up the gender of the protagonist's pet no less than twice (after the first six novels were consistent,) before going back to the original, but still silly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

coyo7e posted:

When I was in middle school, one of my friends passed me my first Drizzt novel by Salvatore.. He quietly insisted "you can read this but you have to remember - his name is pronounced, 'Dritts'".

I still think of the name that way even though I'm fully aware that the author has told people how to pronounce it (Drist). :laugh:

To 'drist' means to diarrhea in Russian, so, uh, he's Dzirt in Russian translations. D'Urden is also a sound away from Russian for 'moron' but they decided to keep it.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 1, 2016

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Apostrophe fantasy in 2010's, hell no

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

WarLocke posted:

God drat Please Undo This Pain hit me right in the gut.

Fuuuuuck.

Please Undo This Hurt? The short story?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

mallamp posted:

Apostrophe fantasy in 2010's, hell no

Your superfluous apostrophe in 2010s is pretty ironic

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Sorryfor not being born in USof A

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flosofl posted:

Let's get back to our roots!

Only men in space-suits with bubble helmets shooting ray guns at tentacled aliens stealing our women

No spacesuits needed. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Grimwall posted:

Please Undo This Hurt? The short story?

Shows me for not double-checking the title before I post. :negative:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just finished Baru Cormorant, and I'm tempted to start reading it all over again, because I know I missed some stuff the first time through, especially little hints at the really good twist at the end. Good job, Battuta.

Edit: It just occurred to me that it's going to be really tricky writing a review of this book without spoiling it.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 2, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Whoever recommended Count to a Trillion was not wrong - if you liked the Golden Age trilogy and want more John C. Wright that is tolerable but also definitely more batshit crazy, it's pretty good. I just... sort of ignored all the weird biotruths poo poo, because the main character is an unlikeable motherfucker from postapocalyptic Texas raised by a sociopathic mother so it was fantastically accurate worldbuilding, even if I knew that the author actually believed it all.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
John Ringo's zombie quadrology...

In general, I'm not a big fan of zombie fiction because apocalypses are so depressing, but the can-do spirit of these books convinced me.

I'd say that they are pretty great for what they are, especially when theSarah Palin-esque vice president literally saves the world in the fourth book. I laughed for several minutes after I realized what, knowing Ringo, was going to happen.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Thanks to whoever recommended The United States of Japan, it's a very entertaining book. It can be way over the top in certain areas, but in a good way that fits with it's very fast, never-a-dull-moment pacing, and even though it has those aspects, it still manages to have some gravitas, with well thought out world building and history bolstering the setting with an oppressive and menacing atmosphere. It also has some great characters, with the bonus of having such a great original main character that you can't help but love, even though he has some character traits that you would hate in other characters not presented so well, and you still hate him at times when said traits come to the fore in the beginning. I'm not finished with it yet,but the place I'm at in it right now reminds me a lot of Escape From New York, I look forward to having time to finish the rest in one go.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

cultureulterior posted:

John Ringo's zombie quadrology...

In general, I'm not a big fan of zombie fiction because apocalypses are so depressing, but the can-do spirit of these books convinced me.

I'd say that they are pretty great for what they are, especially when theSarah Palin-esque vice president literally saves the world in the fourth book. I laughed for several minutes after I realized what, knowing Ringo, was going to happen.

I read them last year and while I liked the premise of a maritime zombie story, I thought there was no real danger after book 1 and they gained the military gear. What was it, a total of one secondary character died? At least there was only a little underage grossness with the girls going topless on their smaller boats and the enlisted military guys ogling over them. Also complete Mary Sues in both the daughters, really one of them becomes the baddest zombie fighter out there and recruited into what is left of the Marines at 13, and the other some ship captain at 15.

The indifference of people when a zombie attacked someone in the first book was pretty bad as well. IIRC it was chalked up to people in NYC not getting into other people's business.
And what happened to the father's brother who was protecting those rich guys? That storyline was completely dropped after they got onto the water.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Whoever recommended Count to a Trillion was not wrong - if you liked the Golden Age trilogy and want more John C. Wright that is tolerable but also definitely more batshit crazy, it's pretty good. I just... sort of ignored all the weird biotruths poo poo, because the main character is an unlikeable motherfucker from postapocalyptic Texas raised by a sociopathic mother so it was fantastically accurate worldbuilding, even if I knew that the author actually believed it all.

Yeah, it really does have a lot going for it, despite the eye-rolling moments. It took me a while to get into it, actually, but by the end of the first novel the cool poo poo was stacking up and The Hermetic Millenia is nuts in the best possible way.

As to maintaining the pretence that the main character is not a John C Wright mouthpiece: there are some differences, like the fact Menelaus is an atheist and Wright is an avowed Catholic, while some of the antagonists are Catholic (though Menelaus still respects the church because John C Wright couldn't bring himself to go THAT far).

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 3, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think this is the thread where the Forge of Gods series by Greg Bear was recommended. Figured I would put this comment in here. The whole part in the second book where the leader of the human crew literally suggests and then acts on loving a woman to 'set her straight' was pretty hosed up also the suggestion that it worked. It made me want to put the whole book down and was pretty lovely. Made me look closer at the first book and realized there were absolutely no strong female characters what-so-ever, they are almost entirely sex objects and/or useless. Makes me not like this author much.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The ToC is out for the Vandermeers' The Big Book of Science Fiction. It is insane.

Yoshio Aramaki, “Soft Clocks” 1968 (Japan) – translated by Kazuko Behrens and stylized by Lewis Shiner
Juan José Arreola, “Baby H.P.” 1952 (Mexico) – new translation by Larry Nolen
Isaac Asimov, “The Last Question” 1956
J.G. Ballard, “The Voices of Time” 1960
Iain M. Banks, “A Gift from the Culture” 1987
Jacques Barbéri, “Mondo Cane” 1983 (France) – first translation by Brian Evenson
John Baxter, “The Hands” 1965
Barrington J. Bayley, “Sporting with the Chid” 1979
Greg Bear, “Blood Music” 1983
Dmitri Bilenkin, “Crossing of the Paths” 1984 – new translation by James Womack
Jon Bing, “The Owl of Bear Island” 1986 (Norway) - translation
Adolfo Bioy Casares, “The Squid Chooses Its Own Ink” 1962 (Argentina) - new translation by Marian Womack
Michael Bishop, “The House of Compassionate Sharers” 1977
James Blish, “Surface Tension” 1952
Michael Blumlein, “The Brains of Rats” 1990
Jorge Luis Borges, “Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius” 1940 (Argentina) – translation by Andrew Hurley
Ray Bradbury, “September 2005: The Martian” 1949
David R. Bunch, “Three From Moderan” 1959, 1970
Octavia Butler, “Bloodchild” 1984
Pat Cadigan, “Variations on a Man” 1984
André Carneiro, “Darkness” 1965 (Brazil) – translation by Leo L. Barrow
Stepan Chapman, “How Alex Became a Machine” 1996
C.J. Cherryh, “Pots” 1985
Ted Chiang, “The Story of Your Life” 1998
Arthur C. Clarke, “The Star” 1955
John Crowley, “Snow” 1985
Samuel R. Delany, “Aye, and Gomorrah” 1967
Philip K. Dick, “Beyond Lies the Wub” 1952
Cory Doctorow, “Craphound” 1998
W.E.B. Du Bois, “The Comet” 1920
Jean-Claude Dunyach, “Paranamanco” 1987 (France) – translation by Sheryl Curtis
S. N. Dyer, “Passing as a Flower in the City of the Dead” 1984
Harlan Ellison, “‘Repent Harlequin!’ Said the Ticktock Man” 1965
Carol Emshwiller, “Pelt” 1958
Paul Ernst, “The Microscopic Giants” 1936
Karen Joy Fowler, “The Lake Was Full of Artificial Things” 1985
Sever Gansovsky, “Day of Wrath” 1964 (Ukraine) – new translation by James Womack
William Gibson, “New Rose Hotel” 1984
Angélica Gorodischer, “The Unmistakable Smell of Wood Violets” 1973 (Argentina) – first translation by Marian Womack
Edmond Hamilton, “The Star Stealers” 1929
Han Song, “Two Small Birds” 1988 (China) – first translation by John Chu
Alfred Jarry, “The Elements of Pataphysics” 1911 (re-translation by Gio Clairval; France)
Gwyneth Jones, “The Universe of Things” 1993
Langdon Jones, “The Hall of Machines” 1968
Kaijo Shinji, “Reiko’s Universe Box” 1981 (Japan) – translation by Toyoda
Takashi and Gene van Troyer
Gérard Klein, “The Monster” 1958 (France) – translation by Damon Knight
Damon Knight, “Stranger Station” 1956
Leena Krohn, “The Gorgonoids” 1992 (Finland) – translation by Hildi Hawkins
R.A. Lafferty, “Nine Hundred Grandmothers” 1966
Kojo Laing, “Vacancy for the Post of Jesus Christ” 1992 (Ghana)
Geoffrey A. Landis, “Vacuum States” 1988
Tanith Lee, “Crying in the Rain” 1987
Ursula K. Le Guin, “Vaster Than Empires and More Slow” 1971
Stanisław Lem, “Let Us Save the Universe” 1981 (Poland) – translation by Joel Stern and Maria Swiecicka-Ziemianek
Cixin Liu, “The Poetry Cloud” 1997 (China) – translation by Chi-yin Ip and Cheuk Wong
Katherine MacLean, “The Snowball Effect” 1952
Geoffrey Maloney, “Remnants of the Virago Crypto-System” 1995
George R.R. Martin, “Sandkings” 1979
Michael Moorcock, “The Frozen Cardinal” 1987
Pat Murphy, “Rachel in Love” 1987
Misha Nogha, “Death is Static Death is Movement” 1990
Silvina Ocampo, “The Waves” 1959 (Argentina) – first translation by Marian Womack
Chad Oliver, “Let Me Live in a House” 1954
Manjula Padmanabhan, “Sharing Air” 1984 (India)
Frederick Pohl, “Day Million” 1966
Rachel Pollack, “Burning Sky” 1989
Robert Reed, “The Remoras” 1994
Kim Stanley Robinson, “Before I Wake”1989
Joanna Russ, “When It Changed” 1972
Josephine Saxton, “The Snake Who Had Read Chomsky” 1981
Paul Scheerbart, “The New Abyss” 1911 (Germany) – first translation by Daniel Ableev and Sarah Kaseem
James H. Schmitz, “Grandpa” 1955
Vadim Shefner, “A Modest Genius” 1965 (Russia) –translation by Matthew J. O’Connell
Robert Silverberg, “Good News from the Vatican” 1971
Clifford D. Simak, “Desertion” 1944
Johanna Sinisalo, “Baby Doll” 2002 (Finland) – translation by David Hackston
Cordwainer Smith, “The Game of Rat and Dragon” 1955
Margaret St. Clair, “Prott” 1985
Bruce Sterling, “Swarm” 1982
Karl Hans Strobl, “The Triumph of Mechanics” 1907 (Germany) – first translation by Gio Clairval
Arkady & Boris Strugatsky, “The Visitors” 1958 (Russia) – new translation by James Womack
Theodore Sturgeon, “The Man Who Lost the Sea” 1959
William Tenn, “The Liberation of Earth” 1953
William Tenn, “Ghost Standard” 1994
James Tiptree, Jr., “And I Awoke and Found Me Here on the Cold Hill’s Side” 1972
Tatyana Tolstoya, “The Slynx” 2000 (Russia) – translation byJamey Gambrell
Yasutaka Tsutsui, “Standing Woman” 1974 (Japan) – translation by Dana Lewis
Lisa Tuttle, “Wives” 1979
Miguel de Unamuno, “Mechanopolis” 1913 (Spain) – new translation by Marian Womack
Élisabeth Vonarburg, “Readers of Lost Art” 1987 (Canada/Quebec) – translation by Howard Scott
Kurt Vonnegut, “2BRO2B” 1962
H.G. Wells, “The Star,” 1897
James White, “Sector General” 1957
Connie Willis, “Schwarzschild Radius” 1987
Gene Wolfe, “All the Hues of Hell” 1987
Alicia Yánez Cossío, “The IWM 1000” 1975 (Chile) – translation by Susana Castillo and Elsie Adams
Valentina Zhuravlyova, “The Astronaut” 1960 (Russia) – new translation by James Womack
Yefim Zozulya, “The Doom of Principal City” 1918 (Russian) – first translation by Vlad Zhenevsky

Taken from this io9 article.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Holy poo poo. 1,200 pages, and if the stories I don't know are half as good as the ones I do, that's going to be a memorable collection.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well that's going to be a pretty drat big book, all right.

,..hey, a Jon Bing story? Translated to English? (Bing (pbuh) was basically a living saint of SF in Norway, his 1970s stuff was the earliest genre books I can remember reading for certain.)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cool to see so many non-Anglophone stories, especially two from :finland:.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chrisoya posted:

Holy poo poo. 1,200 pages, and if the stories I don't know are half as good as the ones I do, that's going to be a memorable collection.

Yeah that's the first anthology I've seen in a while that looks like it could compete with the old "Hall of Fame" volumes. That one looks like a buy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's also a great argument for e-books. I prefer paper but 1200 pages in one volume is a lot.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Quinton posted:

Book two is a "going to sorcery school" book that avoids the common tropes and involves vast works of magical civil engineering. Self-published, but not available on Amazon (annoying), they are downloadable drm-free from Google Play Store, and available from various other ebook services.

Book three is out, and appears to pick up right where book two left off (there is some amount of time that has passed, but the characters are still in "sorcery school" etc.).

http://dubiousprospects.blogspot.com/2016/04/another-instance-of-committing-book.htm

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so Player of Games is wonderful.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

holocaust bloopers posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet, wait til you get to Use of Weapons.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

I should probably space-move onto this after I've finished struggling through The Quantum Thief. Liked UoW and Excession, loved The Algebraist. What's your take?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Koesj posted:

I should probably space-move onto this after I've finished struggling through The Quantum Thief. Liked UoW and Excession, loved The Algebraist. What's your take?

My last and only Banks novel was Consider Phlebas, which I found to be a good time.

Player of Games is a simple story told well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neurosis posted:

Yeah, it really does have a lot going for it, despite the eye-rolling moments. It took me a while to get into it, actually, but by the end of the first novel the cool poo poo was stacking up and The Hermetic Millenia is nuts in the best possible way.

As to maintaining the pretence that the main character is not a John C Wright mouthpiece: there are some differences, like the fact Menelaus is an atheist and Wright is an avowed Catholic, while some of the antagonists are Catholic (though Menelaus still respects the church because John C Wright couldn't bring himself to go THAT far).
I figured Menelaus was just pre-stroke JCW (or whatever he claims it was, in my book it's the same thing PKD had before he wrote VALIS) in that sort of fundamentalist "I was damned but now I'm saved!" way. It's easier for him to write because he knows how he used to be, or something like that.

Good to hear the sequel is even nuttier, I am holding out hope all four will be readable because I really did enjoy the world.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Look to Windward has to be my favourite Culture novel. I started it first but couldn't get into it. Then came back to it years later, having demolished the rest of the books.

It's a really good one to end on IMO. Something felt really profoundly sad about it, without things getting overly cynical or mean.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Look to Windward is amazing. Surface Detail is amazing. Matter is amazing. Inversions is Amazing. Use of Weapons is amazing. Excession is amazing.

I haven't read the Hydrogen Sonata yet but I'm assuming it's gonna be amazing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I only read one culture novel and it was about a shapeshifter and was kind of boring.l

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sounds like Consider Phlebas, which is probably the least unique of them

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So anything good coming out in the next few months?

I saw last night that the next Locke Lamora book is pegged for June/July.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

There's nothing showing up for it on Locus:
http://www.locusmag.com/Resources/ForthcomingBooks.html

For me personally I'm not seeing a lot exciting on a quick glance-through, there's a print edition of Bujold's "Penric's Demon", and then the new N.K.Jemisin in August. Past that there's a new Reynolds in September and the new Abhorsen book from Garth Nix in November. (But there's a bunch of stuff from thread-favorites?)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Death's End by Cixin Liu is coming in September. I thought it was sooner, and that link above me says August. I wonder if they delayed it by a month.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

This doesn't seem like the worst list? http://io9.gizmodo.com/40-science-fiction-and-fantasy-books-that-will-rock-you-1749950897

They do monthly ones as well but April isn't up yet it looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fritz posted:

There's nothing showing up for it on Locus:
http://www.locusmag.com/Resources/ForthcomingBooks.html

For me personally I'm not seeing a lot exciting on a quick glance-through, there's a print edition of Bujold's "Penric's Demon", and then the new N.K.Jemisin in August. Past that there's a new Reynolds in September and the new Abhorsen book from Garth Nix in November. (But there's a bunch of stuff from thread-favorites?)

Other interesting stuff includes Stella Gemmell's sequel to The City, Mike Carey's new solo novel, the latest in the Rivers of London series, what I believe is the next Laundry novel, and the finale of the Long Earth series.