Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this might be true if BvS is the final nail in the coffin of super hero movies, but then batman and supes should be pouring gas on themselves too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

Movie was super clunky trying to work all the Justice League poo poo in,

*DRUMS GO WILD, GUITARS WAIL!*
KAL DROGO THE MERMAN FLOATS AROUND FOR 30 SECONDS AND STABS AT A CAMERA LIKE A CRAB
GUITARS GO CRAZZZZY

Are you hyped!?

Rutibex posted:

this might be true if BvS is the final nail in the coffin of super hero movies, but then batman and supes should be pouring gas on themselves too

People who keep saying this are either:
A) Trying to be super cool and predict the death of the genre
B) Hoping if they say it enough times it'll be true

Fact is, a lovely terribly reviewed DC movie is not going to sink the Marvel movies and the death will actually come when Marvel puts out a few pieces of poo poo in a row. Civil War will make all the money most likely while most people saying this will still trying to be holding BvsS as the death of it.

PS: People love to keep comparing to Westerns but I should remind people that Westerns were heavily made until the 80s, went through about a 15 year lull and then have started to come back; and they never truly went away. The bubble will burst but the genre, at this point, won't be killed in your lifetime.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 4, 2016

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That merman scene was really perplexing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I'm an underwater caveman! Technology frightens me!

He could have just had a whale swallow the loving thing or whatever.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

its that onion cartoonist kelly. parody of a weird right wing curmudgeon.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

aquaman is the stupidest loving character. really all dc heroes are the stupidest loving character except for batman i guess

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
i feel like this is a metaphor for BvS's underwhelming box office results in 10 days

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
His bindle should be an entire shipping container hanging from an ibeam.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

EorayMel posted:

i feel like this is a metaphor for BvS's underwhelming box office results in 10 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uKbIkYGsIg

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

EorayMel posted:

So many amazing things here. His Hobo Beard. The hat. His left shoe has fallen apart and he has one tiny patch sewn into his cape.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I keep seeing these wonderfully bizarre DC covers and I just know the actual comics can't match them.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

I keep seeing these wonderfully bizarre DC covers and I just know the actual comics can't match them.

Golden Age comics were loving hilarious and DC should give up and make a Superdickery movie

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

WampaLord posted:

So many amazing things here. His Hobo Beard. The hat. His left shoe has fallen apart and he has one tiny patch sewn into his cape.
And his left foot is drawn as a right foot. He really is an alien!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Having Supes look like a dick on the cover must have been a running gag.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

If Snyder wanted Supes to destroy Metropolis THIS how he should have done it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Supes is too busy loving himself with the nut on top of the hydrant to help.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Same

I tweeted Zack Snyder that picture of jimmy and robin digging their own graves. No response yet.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fact is, a lovely terribly reviewed DC movie is not going to sink the Marvel movies and the death will actually come when Marvel puts out a few pieces of poo poo in a row. Civil War will make all the money

This. Civil War is being made by competent people who understand their characters and their audiences. It will make a shitload of money unless they somehow completely manage to gently caress it up, and I sincerely doubt the Russo brothers decided to spontaneously change Captain America into a bloodthirsty psycho or Iron Man into a beer-bellied drug addicted racist.

The Marvel movies aren't exactly great films, and I agree that the comic book trend needs to slow the gently caress down, but loving LOL if you think BvS being a massive piece of poo poo is in any way going to hurt Civil War.

e: how can the idea that comic book movies are trending downwards even enter your head after the minor character Deadpool just made a shitzillion dollars and has people begging for a sequel with another minor character and a spinoff movie?

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm really excited for Civil War.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Even if Batman and Robin "killed" the superhero movie genre, it was not dead for very long, X-Men came like 3 years and was a huge success. I doubt superhero movies will die out anytime soon.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I find the marvel movies don't take any risks which is why I have become tired of them. At least BvS is different in a way, as was MoS.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oldpainless posted:

I'm really excited for Civil War.

same

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Laderhan posted:

Even if Batman and Robin "killed" the superhero movie genre, it was not dead for very long, X-Men came like 3 years and was a huge success. I doubt superhero movies will die out anytime soon.

Blade was a year later, X-Men was 2 after that, and Spiderman was 1 after that. Then the floodgates opened and it's not going to stop until studios have 6 or 7 flops in a row and audiences almost unanimously quit going.

Hell, we still have X-men running strong at 8 films in the franchise and they still haven't technically used their reboot card, which Batman has cashed in 3 times, and Superman and Spiderman have used twice.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Batman & Robin was a love letter to the goofy 60s Batman and other cheesy schlock and is actually an excellent superhero film. Everyone was just expecting more serious Batman stuff like the previous movies. Joel Schumacher knew what he was doing. :colbert:

Note that being an excellent superhero film does not necessarily make it a good film.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

VAT KILLED THE DINOSAURS???? THE ICE AGE

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

a happy snowman posted:

Sucker punch was a movie about female empowerment by a man that loves women.

The heroine and other ladies are screwed over by fate and forcibly imprisoned in an insane asylum run by leering rapists. The fight scenes in the trailer, where the women do kick-rear end feminism stuff with cleavage and upstarts everywhere, are only symbolic dream sequences, done during the short time bought from their captors by the heroine doing some erotic dance that literally hypnotizes the men into unconsciousness.

At the end, the heroine is lobotomized, just as a bunch of male cops come in and rescue all the women.

--

“Who Honors those we love for the very life we live? Who sends monsters to kill us...and at the same time sings that we'll never die? Who teaches us what's real...and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend? Who chains us...and who holds the key that can set us free? It's you. You have all the weapons you need. Now fight!”
― Zack Snyder

This is easy. If one understands that one is free within one's mind, no mortal shackles can bind you. In the end, it is only the death of the mind that is the death of the self. The self is all that there is. The lobotomy is a Christ allegory, but a secular one. The heroine sacrifices her mind to liberate the bodies of those within. She no longer needs liberation, because she's always been free or...something...something...the flesh is a tawdry distraction and sex is the ultimate weakness of the male, women are his ultimate nemesis, and man desires to lock them away for depraved use.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sylink posted:

I find the marvel movies don't take any risks which is why I have become tired of them. At least BvS is different in a way, as was MoS.

people who use this argument are retarded.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

people who use this argument are retarded.

Oh come on. Aren't you glad they took a risk with Indiana Jones 4, Die Hard 5, The Godfather part 3, and Terminator Gynosus?

Those movies that shook up the formula paid off in spades and were way better than the previous films which stuck to convention.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Shaocaholica posted:

Having Supes look like a dick on the cover must have been a running gag.

It was the 1960s version of clickbait, to feature something improbable and/or game-changing and then write it off on page 15

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Oh come on. Aren't you glad they took a risk with Indiana Jones 4, Die Hard 5, The Godfather part 3, and Terminator Gynosus?

Those movies that shook up the formula paid off in spades and were way better than the previous films which stuck to convention.

i am glad about all of those things because they are just movies. also arnold is a t1000 now so thats cool going forward

namste

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Lol goddam I love Kelly

"You're just a marvel fan boy" is the worst loving complaint. A bad movie is a bad movie, regardless of the retarded "not my superman" poo poo.

Hell I'd be happy to see an Affleck batman if the story was good and Jeremy irons hanging around being bitchy

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tiberius Christ posted:

Lol goddam I love Kelly

"You're just a marvel fan boy" is the worst loving complaint. A bad movie is a bad movie, regardless of the retarded "not my superman" poo poo.

Hell I'd be happy to see an Affleck batman if the story was good and Jeremy irons hanging around being bitchy

i might have posted this already but my big takeaway from bvs is that were in for a pretty solid batman movie here in a few years

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tiberius Christ posted:

"You're just a marvel fan boy" is the worst loving complaint.

Ah yes, that well known group of people that hates Batman: comic book nerds.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Otisburg posted:

thanks to whoever recommended the weird elsworlds justice league: gods and monsters cartoon.

20 minutes in and i already find this son-of-zod mexican superman guy more relatable, grounded and likable than frownie sundae superman was after two more feature films

You're welcome, don't forget to watch the shorts as well. The Batman one was the best IMO.

Zzulu posted:

Would it be an improvement if Superman was played by Danny Trejo

Yes but only because Danny Trejo improves everything he's in.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Batman The Brave and the Bold had an amazing Batman Vs Superman episode that even great cutaway gags based on the Superdick covers

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 5, 2016

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Zach Snyder wants to make adaptations of Ayn Rand novels? :laffo:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Ah yes, that well known group of people that hates Batman: comic book nerds.

this but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Immortan posted:

Zach Snyder wants to make adaptations of Ayn Rand novels? :laffo:

Every director wants to make his "Pearl Harbor".

• Locked thread