Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tome is really good but for some reason I play like one character a month and then put it down again. I guess I get tired of having to do all the same dungeons in roughly the same order every time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VideoGames posted:

Man Vulcan Raven was tough. I got run over so many times. And what the heck where was the mine detector. I must have missed something. Also running through those beams was tough as nails. I'm glad I figured out what the cigarettes did.

they reveal lasers w/ smoke yo

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Man Vulcan Raven was tough. I got run over so many times. And what the heck where was the mine detector. I must have missed something. Also running through those beams was tough as nails. I'm glad I figured out what the cigarettes did.

The mine detector is surprisingly well hidden, I've never found or used it on a regular playthrough w/o a guide. It's not really necessary, you can get around the mines by crawling IIRC.

As for that boss, the tank fight is initially going to be the hardest boss ever, but on subsequent playthroughs the "trick" is pretty basic; you throw a chaff, which stops it from using its main gun. While it tries to manually aim at you, you run past, tap the grenade button and toss it. Once you figure out the basic range, you'll be able to bomb it pretty easy, and you can actually kill the tank in two hits by hitting the guys dead on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man Whore posted:

It actually worked out because I really hated the song that started to play in mexico so I just got off my horse.

mods???????

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Also good morning chat thread, I got unexpectedly dinged for $500 on my taxes this year and now I'm sad and broke. I hope you all are doing better!

(except that Man Whore guy. Bad taste, that)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

VideoGames posted:

The mine detector is on the right side of the upper level of the tank hangar past a lvl 2 door. The game is pretty short and pads itself a bit by making you go back to old areas with a new key to grab some important item, so anytime you get a new card you might want to run through old areas (or make a note of what level each door you run into is). If you have the thermal goggles you can see the mines and the lasers, and mines only pop up in a few areas. I don't know no one ever told Meryl that you can pick up mines by crawling over them, but keep that in mind in case she tries to show off later on.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Where are the thermal goggles? They sound useful but I don't have them either. I just ran around as a box in the nuclear warhead room and I'm surprised how well that worked.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

VideoGames posted:

Where are the thermal goggles? They sound useful but I don't have them either. I just ran around as a box in the nuclear warhead room and I'm surprised how well that worked.

Also in the second floor of the hanger. The door is open the first time you enter the area, but if you didn't grab them the door closes and needs the lvl 4 key to be opened.

Here's a video of a speedrun to help show where I'm talking about, hopefully queued to the right time (5:30)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU8Yws8XY7I&t=330s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
mgs1 is a cool fuckin game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yesterday I rolled a sorcerer and soul arrow'd my way through the first few areas of DS2 before getting repeatedly murdered by No Man's Wharf and losing a bunch of souls. Now I'm a cleric with a mace and it's much better.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I like thinking about MGS 1 after playing through The Phantom Pain. It's not a perfect loop, but I love Miller and Ocelot and I'm glad that their relationship is fill out in a meaningful way over a decade after they were first brought up.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yesterday I rolled a sorcerer and soul arrow'd my way through the first few areas of DS2 before getting repeatedly murdered by No Man's Wharf and losing a bunch of souls. Now I'm a cleric with a mace and it's much better.

e: I love the Souls series but I've never played as a magic user. I think the combat is tight and using a sword and board or a two-handed weapon feels really good. Even when I start as a wizard or w/e I start picking up weapons as thinking "Oh, a few levels in Str and Dex and I'll be able to use this so I can save some spells" and whammo I'm a fighter who can cast magic missile. I know the late game spells are nothing to sneeze at, but getting there is so much easier when I can wear good armor and smack things.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 4, 2016

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

I agree and would like to thank those people who told me to soldier on. I'm really awful at it, but I am having fun and thats always important to me. As long as I'm enjoying it, then I'll just keep sucking till things glacially improve.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I agree and would like to thank those people who told me to soldier on. I'm really awful at it, but I am having fun and thats always important to me. As long as I'm enjoying it, then I'll just keep sucking till things glacially improve.

I sucked my way through that whole game and still enjoyed it. Sure there were lots (and lots and lots) of attempts made at some of even the most simple or basic areas/bosses but it was still fun. :shobon:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bagPyvhg21c

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mgs1 is a masterpiece. here's some other games you may like, at random, from the top of my head, that i just thought of for no reason: snatcher, policenauts, zone of the enders, boktai

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mx4RE3jrTs

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'[ve still only played Twin Snakes but I have MGS1 on my PS3 and should play it at some point I guess. I'll miss Snake Matrix-jumping over missiles like Dante though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
hello friends, I hoep verybody is having a good day today, and if you are not, I sincerely hope it gets better soon :)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Whoa, the doot-doot-doot from the Konami logo is from Policenauts? :aaa: Those doot-doots have a real special place in my heart.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I should watch Slowbeef's LPs for Not Blade Runner and Lethal Weapon in Space.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

Whoa, the doot-doot-doot from the Konami logo is from Policenauts? :aaa: Those doot-doots have a real special place in my heart.

yeah the nation's supply of sick basslines apparently came from there too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Gillian posted:

If you're not stopping your Bethesda game to bloat with mods every five minutes, you're doing it wrong.

That's all well and good but I mean I considered actually creating such mods, due to there not really being anything worth discussing out there.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
MGS 1 is seriously a masterpiece. What are your favourite scenes? I like the part where sniper wolf first gets a bead on you and Meryl. It's so intense prob the first true wtf moment in the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like when Snake looks at the girly poster and it's Alex Roivas on there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The ninja fight and everything leading up to it is good

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The very serious story scenes punctuated by loud poops.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Oh wow Hyper Light Drifter is such an easier game to play with a controller.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

this guy doesnt care at all that he's catching a baseball atm

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That looks like it's a screen grab from some Angels in the Outfield remake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sports games that don't have kunio-kun or fire power-ups in them are not real games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
FROM DOWNTOWN!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to buy a crazy JRPG today. My choices are Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy or Eternal Sonata, both for the PS3, both for the same price.

Which do I choose?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm going to buy a crazy JRPG today. My choices are Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy or Eternal Sonata, both for the PS3, both for the same price.

Which do I choose?

Persona 4

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
NIER.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Which do I choose?

Super Mario RPG on the virtual console.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Parasite Eve 2

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Like I don't already own all of those get on my level

this is serious guys I gotta decide by the time I finish eating this bowl of rice

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

Sports games that don't have kunio-kun or fire power-ups in them are not real games.
:agreed:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Which do I choose?
From what I have heard Eternal Sonata is unwashed rear end so get Lightning Returns. That said I have both and played neither so if it was the wrong choice I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

It's true, the last great baseball video game was Baseball Simulator 1.000

• Locked thread