Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tesseraction posted:

*opens wallet and sadly watches the moths fly into the sunset*

You shouldn't have spent so much on moths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was thinking more of external crowdfunding, followed by transition of the village to a temporary planning committee who will implement 12 page arguments about the best form of communism for a small village.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You shouldn't have spent so much on moths

Especially without tethering them down i mean for god's sake get some better security on your investments

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Today seems to be a day of

quote:

There is nothing inherently illegal with offshore companies

Whole lot of businesses coming forward to say that what they did was entirely legal. Also we're number 2 to Hong Kong for being an intermediary for perfectly legal tax avoidance. The gently caress UK, we have to settle for number 2 in financial corruption? What has this country come to?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
#1 in founding other countries purely for financial corruption.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the Privy Council is a sort of constitutional prophylactic so the Crown and Her Majesty's Government can get down and dirty without actually mixing body politic fluids.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciated this sentence.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tesseraction posted:

*opens wallet and sadly watches the moths fly into the sunset*

You need to take control of your mothly outgoings

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

baka kaba posted:

get your moth-eaten coat

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

baka kaba posted:

:golfclap:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This page reminds me why British comedy is #1 :britain:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Lovely stuff.

Oberleutnant posted:

get your moth-eaten coat

poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
well this is a barrel of laughs

Today in the UK, a woman was sentenced for the crime of an abortion - yet we act outraged at Donald Trump

She desperately tried to save up enough money to travel to England to have an abortion, but wasn’t able to. Her housemates reported her to the police

Today, in the United Kingdom, a woman has been found guilty of having an abortion. It’s a horrifying idea – one which should have been long relegated to the annals of history, but which is sadly still the reality for a woman living in Northern Ireland in 2016.

The 21-year-old woman was found guilty at Belfast High Court today and given a three month sentence, suspended for two years. She was convicted under ancient laws which were passed under Queen Victoria and have sat untouched on Northern Ireland’s statute books for over 150 years.

The abortion ban makes it a criminal offence, carrying a sentence of anything up to life in prison, even if you have been raped or if the foetus is so severely disabled that it has no chance of surviving outside the womb.

The details which the court heard about this woman’s ‘crime’ reveal a heart-breaking nightmare. She was 19 when she experienced an unwanted pregnancy. She desperately tried to save up enough money to travel to England to have an abortion, but wasn’t able to. Left with no other choice and trapped in Northern Ireland, she bought abortion pills online and performed a DIY abortion on herself at home. Her housemates found blood-stained items and foetal remains in a bin and reported her to the police.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...t-a6968356.html

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

Her housemates reported her to the police
the gently caress

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I imagine discovering a bunch of foetal remains in a bin when you're throwing out some rubbish is a bit of a shock but really your house mates should have your back.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

Her housemates found blood-stained items and foetal remains in a bin and reported her to the police.

:stare: Who in their right mind sees the aftereffects of what must be a pretty harrowing and traumatic procedure and thinks "What this person needs right now is for the police to come round and arrest them"?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
well you know there are quite a few people who believe that abortion is murder and what would you do if you found the body of a murder victim in your bin?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I can understand why somebody who considers abortion to be wrong might feel moved to contact the authorities when confronted with such visceral evidence that it had taken place.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Oberleutnant posted:

the gently caress

:stonk:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also I think she put it in the regular bin and not the recycling bin which is a definite no-no

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MikeCrotch posted:

:stare: Who in their right mind sees the aftereffects of what must be a pretty harrowing and traumatic procedure and thinks "What this person needs right now is for the police to come round and arrest them"?

there's a fuckload of blood in the bin, of course you ring the police

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah my first thought when reading that article was why the gently caress the housemates shopped her. Did they even ask what happened? Like whether she had a miscarriage or needed a ride to the hospital.

JFairfax posted:

well you know there are quite a few people who believe that abortion is murder and what would you do if you found the body of a murder victim in your bin?
Maybe this is the part that needs changing before trying top down change, although that's easy to say as someone who would not be inconvenienced in the interim. Maybe both need to change.

Or maybe we need to teach people to be better at covering up evidence. :v:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah my first thought when reading that article was why the gently caress the housemates shopped her. Did they even ask what happened? Like whether she had a miscarriage or needed a ride to the hospital.

I don't think I'd recognise a foetus in a bin as anything other than fleshy remains and that would set off alarm bells

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Update:

This page has reminded me why anti-choice is loving terrifying. :gonk:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JFairfax posted:

Also I think she put it in the regular bin and not the recycling bin which is a definite no-no

It goes in the biodegradable bin you loving savage

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Reminder that Labours "sister" party the SDLP, who they encourage people to vote for, recently voted against legalising abortion in cases of fatal foetal abnormality, rape and incest. :tipshat:

Oh, and that Northern Irish women are not entitled to abortions on the NHS in England and have to pay fees for private clinics.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

Oh, and that Northern Irish women are not entitled to abortions on the NHS in England and have to pay fees for private clinics.

I've honestly on more than one occasion wondered what's so expensive about the ferry to Liverpool but now I actually understand the issue, thank you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Reminder that Labours "sister" party the SDLP, who they encourage people to vote for, recently voted against legalising abortion in cases of fatal foetal abnormality, rape and incest. :tipshat:

Surely if you believe abortion is murder you should be against all abortions

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

I'll give them points for consistency

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

I presume they are but that the bill being proposed was specifically trying to unfuck it in those ways.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What was Sinn Fein's position?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Pro babby death

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

I presume they are but that the bill being proposed was specifically trying to unfuck it in those ways.

i'm not sure why this is a response to what i posted

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

The leadership denied claims of direct involvement in any abortions. :can:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The leadership denied claims of direct involvement in any abortions. :can:

They demanded ultrasounds but the British government prevented the mothers from seeing the screen to deny the foetus the legitimacy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pro babby death

Sinn Fein supporting the murder of children, colour me surprised.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

SF only adopted a position backing legalisation of abortion in cases of fatal foetal abnormalities last year and it was very reactive after it became a big issue down south, SF are still officially an anti abortion party and oppose extending the abortion act to NI - people like Martin McGuinness are very much in the pro-life camp

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They demanded ultrasounds but the British government prevented the mothers from seeing the screen to deny the foetus the legitimacy.

What?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988%E2%80%9394_British_broadcasting_voice_restrictions

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SF only adopted a position backing legalisation of abortion in cases of fatal foetal abnormalities last year and it was very reactive after it became a big issue down south, SF are still officially an anti abortion party and oppose extending the abortion act to NI - people like Martin McGuinness are very much in the pro-life camp

That's more like what I'd expect of a tacitly-Catholic sect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUeauLWEaE

• Locked thread