Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cingulate posted:

That sounds like morphogenetic fields and neurolinguistic programming to me - maybe it helps you personally conceptualize something you experience in your personal life, but it does not seem any more connected to actual science than yoga.

I hope I can elucidate this for you: It is a common Neoreactionary tactic to take some unsupported bias of their own and align it with some actual scientific phenomenon, usually biological, to better pretend their bias is a fact of nature. That is what Virtue Signalling is, rhetorically - taking "I don't think you're REALLY a good person" and aligning it with "you only act good because :biotruths: makes you more likely to reproduce if you do."

That is what people are trying to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LordSaturn posted:

I hope I can elucidate this for you: It is a common Neoreactionary tactic to take some unsupported bias of their own and align it with some actual scientific phenomenon, usually biological, to better pretend their bias is a fact of nature. That is what Virtue Signalling is, rhetorically - taking "I don't think you're REALLY a good person" and aligning it with "you only act good because :biotruths: makes you more likely to reproduce if you do."

That's actually one of the least elucidating posts I've read so far. It's okay though, don't worry, I'm fine!

Anyways, I was trying to respond to this:

pookel posted:

Anyone here have insight into the real-world existence/relevance of so-called "virtue signalling?" Same friend seems to think it's accepted psychological theory, and I have, to put it mildly, doubts.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

LordSaturn posted:

forget it LordSaturn; it's cingulatetown

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Cingulate posted:

Then you should have just stopped here:

Cingulate posted:

Can't say anything about 'virtue signalling'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I like how that first link starts out with an example of Whole Foods and then says that the British do it too but they're more sophisticated about it :allears:

The Spectator is a British magazine entirely devoted to conservative nationalism. If someone's a right-wing 'intellectual' they read The Spectator. It is entirely for repugnant shitbags who tongue the Conservative Party's collective anus.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Tesseraction posted:

The Spectator is a British magazine entirely devoted to conservative nationalism. If someone's a right-wing 'intellectual' they read The Spectator. It is entirely for repugnant shitbags who tongue the Conservative Party's collective anus.

Is this the British equivalent of the National Review or Chronicles?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Curvature of Earth posted:

Is this the British equivalent of the National Review or Chronicles?

A bit like Chronicles, but imagine if Chronicles was required reading by the Republican Party.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Cingulate posted:

That's actually one of the least elucidating posts I've read so far. It's okay though, don't worry, I'm fine!

Lord Saturn actually addressed what I was talking about, though, whereas you .... didn't really.

Time to update my ignore list I guess.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

LordSaturn posted:

See also: R/K selection

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Vosgian Beast posted:

See also: R/K selection

How big are these guys into Alpha-/Beta-/Omega-/Lambda-/Omicron Persei VIII-males these days?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

Lord Saturn actually addressed what I was talking about, though, whereas you .... didn't really.

Time to update my ignore list I guess.
Won't work, Small Frozen Thing quotes everything I post.

GoonDanton: IMO the discussion was mostly devoid of content. It was just different ways of saying, "I don't like Neodorks". Which is I guess a relevant point ITT, but it says little about the scientific validity of signalling. Now this may sound a bit dorky, but alas.
I didn't start out like this, but over the past few months, I've come to appreciate particularly Scott* to an extent that I consider him more interesting and informative than e.g. the vast majority of stuff said ITT about NRx. So I guess he's truly my fav DE-associated person now; it's simply a, to me, more productive and enjoyable mode of conversation than what's mostly going on here - repetitively mocking fascists, and mocking non-fascists by lumping them in with fascists.
I like Judith Butler more still, but she makes much fewer nerdy jokes so.

* and, actually, exclusively Scott - I still hate his commenters, I don't even know who this Wesley guy for example even is, and even the moderates, like Yud, just make me feel like yelling.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

GoonDanton: IMO the discussion was mostly devoid of content. It was just different ways of saying, "I don't like Neodorks". Which is I guess a relevant point ITT, but it says little about the scientific validity of signalling. Now this may sound a bit dorky, but alas.
I didn't start out like this, but over the past few months, I've come to appreciate particularly Scott* to an extent that I consider him more interesting and informative than e.g. the vast majority of stuff said ITT about NRx. So I guess he's truly my fav DE-associated person now; it's simply a, to me, more productive and enjoyable mode of conversation than what's mostly going on here - repetitively mocking fascists, and mocking non-fascists by lumping them in with fascists.

* and, actually, exclusively Scott - I still hate his commenters, I don't even know who this Wesley guy for example even is, and even the moderates, like Yud, just make me feel like yelling.

Now I would like to address this Arts Funding issue. Now this all reminds me of a humorous story of a travelling salesman. Let's say that the taxpayer is a farmer, and the government is a salesman. Well, the farmer says "You can spend the night in my barn, but do me a favor and don't stick your willy into any of the three holes in the wall." Well in this case, the salesman's willy represents the taxpayer's money, you understand. Well, the government, like the salesman, can't help himself. Sticks his willy in the first hole, it feels good. Sticks his willy in the second hole, it feels even better. Sticks his willy in the third hole and it hurts like hell and it won't let go! Well in the morning the farmer comes out and he explains: "Behind the first hole was my wife, behind the second hole was my daughter, and behind the third hole was a milking machine that don't let go 'till it gets 50 GALLONS!" HAHAHAHA! Gentlemen, I propose that this Arts Funding is like a milking machine, and unless we SHUT IT DOWN it's gonna RIP our DICKS right off!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Thank you for pointing this out, I have come upon a solution that should help pookel not be exposed to your posting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Cingu-chan despite the thread opinion I actually like reading your posts, but this kind of thing is beneath you and way too passive-aggressive for my liking. Leave the in-thread sniping for more egregious poo poo like someone calling you a paedophile or reminding you of that time you hosed a refrigerated chicken.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Cingu-chan despite the thread opinion I actually like reading your posts, but this kind of thing is beneath you and way too passive-aggressive for my liking. Leave the in-thread sniping for more egregious poo poo like someone calling you a paedophile or reminding you of that time you hosed a refrigerated chicken.

Okay so tell us about that time you hosed a refrigerated chicken then :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not Cingulate. :c00lbutt:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never had intercourse with that chicken.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

I never had intercourse with that chicken.

That's exactly what a frozen poultry fucker would say.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cingulate I think you need to break your addiction to playing devil's advocate in this thread. Go cold turkey.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Let's check back in on Mr. Mean-Spirited, a man so edgy, he would have a case against the lead guitarist of U2 if he ever pursued it in court. He has thoughts on poverty and life after death that are sure to be well-thought out, well-justified, and enlightening.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cingulate posted:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Goon 1: Is that a duck?

Goon 2: Well it looks like a duck, it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...

*Cingulate kramers into thread*

Cingulate: Whoa whoa whoa, have you considered that this green-headed, yellow-beaked, brown-bodied waterfowl might have once talked about preferring certain geese in elections?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Can't say anything about "quacking".

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Uh, cool? I have never read Scott's stuff and have no opinions there, which is why I didn't talk about him at all. You saw people posting about "virtue signaling" and decided to respond with a defense of signaling in biology, which is a bit like seeing people attack Social Darwinism and responding by pointing out how well respected evolutionary theory is. It makes you look like an idiot, and I want you to understand that.

If you want to play devil's advocate, that's fine, but at least try to defend the position people are actually attacking.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Goon Danton posted:

Uh, cool? I have never read Scott's stuff and have no opinions there, which is why I didn't talk about him at all. You saw people posting about "virtue signaling" and decided to respond with a defense of signaling in biology, which is a bit like seeing people attack Social Darwinism and responding by pointing out how well respected evolutionary theory is. It makes you look like an idiot, and I want you to understand that.

If you want to play devil's advocate, that's fine, but at least try to defend the position people are actually attacking.

+1

Cingulate, the above is an explanation of why your posting is mostly just annoying and why people keep getting pissed off at you. I urge you to read and reread until you understand, take it on board and do that a lot less.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Who What Now posted:

That's exactly what a frozen poultry fucker would say.

Someone who fucks frozen poultry, or someone who is frozen and fucks poultry?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/alicemazzy/status/716366833465430016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Is that meant to be a joke?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drat, left-wing politics has been bested by such destructive wit. Back to the drawing board folks, we're gonna have to find a new way to Stalinise the world.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Goddamnit, I hate it when lovely people share my name.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Goddamnit, I hate it when lovely people share my name.

For what it's worth Alice is a p cool name :shobon:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

For what it's worth Alice is a p cool name :shobon:

Yeah, for a GIRL!

And a boy. It's a v. versatile name.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Wait what? No, Alice isn't a boy name. Unless you're trying for a "boy named Sue" thing.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

Wait what? No, Alice isn't a boy name. Unless you're trying for a "boy named Sue" thing.

Alister is possibly what he means?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Maybe they mean Alice Cooper.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Y'all never heard of Alice Cooper or something? :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Post-Rationalist Penny: Boy, it sure is unfair that people automatically equate everyone on the right to nazis. There are many degrees of political affiliation over here!

Post-Rationalist Penny: Anyway, Bernie Sanders is Josef Stalin

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Who's this?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Who What Now posted:

Is that meant to be a joke?

This was after I posted to @rationalwiki about ClarkHat's right-wing affinity fraud delivery of a valiant blow in the culture war, just please send money.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Virtue Signalling

It boils down to, they basically believe everyone in the world is as insincere and heartless as they are.

https://twitter.com/Quinnae_Moon/status/717139839846653952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
In case you were wondering what Rationalist Tumblr thinks of Status 451 backing LambdaConf.