Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Welp, after trading it in, that Eagle cost me all of -25,000 credits! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Sorry to double post, but now that I can actually afford the more expensive weapons, is there a guide on the subject anywhere?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I had a random thought earlier, what would the night sky look like from the inhabited planets in Elite? Would it be a sky of constantly moving lights? I mean there's a poo poo ton of traffic in occupied space.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I had a random thought earlier, what would the night sky look like from the inhabited planets in Elite? Would it be a sky of constantly moving lights? I mean there's a poo poo ton of traffic in occupied space.

I don't you'd see much except the way the stars look from that particular planet. Let's take Earth for example, as we have a real life basis to compare it to. That being of course Earth.
The space stations are much bigger than the ISS, and you can see the ISS with a naked eye as it zooms across the sky. I haven't sat on a station looking outside long enough to see if a station orbits the planet in any meaningful way.

The stations orbit quite a far distance away from Earth. Assuming a clear sky devoid of any light pollution, you wouldn't see much. Maybe just a bright object that looks like a star. You wouldn't see the ships in supercruise as they aren't in regular space. When they exit supercruise, they are too far to be discernible to the naked eye. Chances are there would just be an extra "star" in the sky. You probably wouldn't be able to tell if anything smaller than a capital ship was around.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

I don't you'd see much except the way the stars look from that particular planet. Let's take Earth for example, as we have a real life basis to compare it to. That being of course Earth.
The space stations are much bigger than the ISS, and you can see the ISS with a naked eye as it zooms across the sky. I haven't sat on a station looking outside long enough to see if a station orbits the planet in any meaningful way.

The stations orbit quite a far distance away from Earth. Assuming a clear sky devoid of any light pollution, you wouldn't see much. Maybe just a bright object that looks like a star. You wouldn't see the ships in supercruise as they aren't in regular space. When they exit supercruise, they are too far to be discernible to the naked eye. Chances are there would just be an extra "star" in the sky. You probably wouldn't be able to tell if anything smaller than a capital ship was around.

You can see other ships in supercruise, though- they look like small, very bright comets. I imagine those would be visible from the ground, although at the speeds they travel they'd probably look like meteors- visible for half a second and then gone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Luneshot posted:

You can see other ships in supercruise, though- they look like small, very bright comets. I imagine those would be visible from the ground, although at the speeds they travel they'd probably look like meteors- visible for half a second and then gone.

Do those still turn up when your canopy is busted? I've always wondered if those were UI embellishments like being able to "see" stations as clear points of light while in supercruise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do the stations and planets actually orbit or do they just sit in the same spot all the time?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
They orbit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cojawfee posted:

Do the stations and planets actually orbit or do they just sit in the same spot all the time?

With a suitable amount of google-fu, you can find tons of timelaps videos of systems (to say nothing of binary stars) in motion. Hell, in some cases with close binaries, it's not even that much of a timelapse.

First hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EzfqeFgKw

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luneshot posted:

Those are only visible when in supercruise, though - not when out of SC.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Cojawfee posted:

Go to a little place called Mitterand Hollow and you'll see them orbit. Boy will you see them orbit.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Natsuumi posted:

Go to a little place called Mitterand Hollow and you'll see them orbit. Boy will you see them orbit.

Seriously do this, it owns.

Or if you don't mind spoilers check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC98rYDvj04

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Okay, after picking up and kitting out an Eagle, it looked like I had alot of cash left (200k or so) so I went ahead and upgraded again to a Viper Mk III.

This time I had a little trouble, couldn't upgrade everything as high as I wanted and afford a good FSD. But! I think I've got a good weapon loadout planned.

Right now I've got four gimballed muilticannons. Two rinky-dink 12k ones, and two slightly bigger 35k ones. What I think I'll do, once I get some cash, is replace the 12k ones with fixed burst lasers, which seems to be a good combo build from what I've read.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tippis posted:

With a suitable amount of google-fu, you can find tons of timelaps videos of systems (to say nothing of binary stars) in motion. Hell, in some cases with close binaries, it's not even that much of a timelapse.

First hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EzfqeFgKw

This is really cool. For some reason I just assumed all that poo poo in space (in Elite) just stayed in the same place despite it all having orbit lines, upon viewing of this video it's now very apparent how stupid that assumption was.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Natsuumi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aukc7gky9ik
Mitterand Hollow is fantastic.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

tooterfish posted:

Because after more than a few weeks out you forget how to dock your ship.

I just got back into the game after not touching it for 6+ months, and found this out the hard way. Last thing I'd done was explore in an Anaconda, but stupidly stopped playing before actually parking it somewhere. So first thing I had to do was try to pilot that drat thing through the mail slot, with the smallest shields you can fit on a Conda. Landed with about 30% hull, which is better than I expected.

Since I couldn't remember by joystick keybindings, I of course managed to hit boost instead of landing gear just above the pad. Should have destroyed the ship, but I lucked out because the distributor was too small and I couldn't actually boost with it.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

BenRGamer posted:

Okay, after picking up and kitting out an Eagle, it looked like I had alot of cash left (200k or so) so I went ahead and upgraded again to a Viper Mk III.

This time I had a little trouble, couldn't upgrade everything as high as I wanted and afford a good FSD. But! I think I've got a good weapon loadout planned.

Right now I've got four gimballed muilticannons. Two rinky-dink 12k ones, and two slightly bigger 35k ones. What I think I'll do, once I get some cash, is replace the 12k ones with fixed burst lasers, which seems to be a good combo build from what I've read.

Keep in mind that multicannons are great against hulls but lousy against shields. It's often a good idea to load a combination of lasers and mc's in order to take them down efficiently. Also, remember that smaller weapons have a damage penalty against larger ships. You should really hop on discord and get realtime advice from goons. Someone might be willing to take you out and show you the ropes, as well.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

nippythefish posted:

Also, remember that smaller weapons have a damage penalty against larger ships.
The penalty only applies to ship hulls though, not their shields.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Halsey has felt the "presence of the real caretakers of the galaxy". Has the former fed prez been thargoided?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

She saw the d-t.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I haven't played this game inight about a year but a friend just picked it up and I plan on playing with him. I mainly did trading last time I played and want to just do combat this go around and was planning on getting a vulture, will 10 mil be enough to get it reasonably equipped or am I better off going with a cheaper ship and fully kitting it with A level gear right away?.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I made up a build for you:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04B5C4C3A5C4C3C1e1e0200000nB25d2o2567.Iw19kA==.IwBj4zWI

You can afford a bit better components than this if you shop at Yongmart.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you're building a new ship and want to save money, buy the stuff at Yong controlled/exploited systems. eddb.io helps you find those easily, and you can find ships and modules that you might want by searching there in the station finder. There is the chance that items might be sold out, but that's an acceptable compromise. The only reason to not shop at a Yong controlled system is to get a hauler taxi to get to a yong controlled system. The 15% discount can save you quite a bit of money.

The alternative is if you have access to the founder's system. Then buy everything there for a 10% discount. The advantage of the founders system is that every single part is sold at Jameson Memorial, so you don't need to fly around looking for parts. You just need elite ranking in something to get that insane discount.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Thanks a bunch guys.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
How do you actually hunt targets down for the contracts that require it? I can't figure out how to do that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Go to the target system, they'll appear* in supercruise there after a while. You can either follow them until they drop out on their own, or use an interdictor to politely but firmly get them to pull over.

*they might not appear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

*they might not appear.

One upside of the whole open/solo split is, if something you want doesn't appear, switch. It'll reset instance and should get new spawns quicker :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

A Water Giant. The description makes me guess it's a water world that has water with vacuum above it? Looks more like Jupiter.

Brown dwarf in a black hole system with pristine metallic rings. Not that it will do anyone much good ~15,000ly from the bubble.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

tooterfish posted:

Go to the target system, they'll appear* in supercruise there after a while. You can either follow them until they drop out on their own, or use an interdictor to politely but firmly get them to pull over.

*they might not appear.

I tried that on something before, but dunno how to get the interdictor to work

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You need to put it in a fire group. Then get behind something and pull the trigger.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

A Water Giant. The description makes me guess it's a water world that has water with vacuum above it? Looks more like Jupiter.

Brown dwarf in a black hole system with pristine metallic rings. Not that it will do anyone much good ~15,000ly from the bubble.

No, a water giant is just a gas giant with a lot of water in it's atmosphere. Maybe there are some exotic gas giants out there with layered bands of water inbetween other stuff, I don't know.

Also really cold water giants are probably better described as ice giants, like Uranus and Neptune.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BenRGamer posted:

I tried that on something before, but dunno how to get the interdictor to work

You put it in a fire group. If it says out of range, get closer. If there's a bar there, hit fire and play the mini game.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Cojawfee posted:

You put it in a fire group. If it says out of range, get closer. If there's a bar there, hit fire and play the mini game.

Yeah, I meant I'm terrible at the minigame >_>

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, it looks like you're closing in on a SPACE CUBE there in the lower left.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Also, it looks like you're closing in on a SPACE CUBE there in the lower left.

Yeah, I assume those are spots where a survey has been done? Or are they just artifacts of Stellar Forge doing it's thing? They are actually quite common near the core. I can't find the screenshot of it, but I found a spot where three or four of them came together.

I also found this thing. It was red nebula when I got inside, but looked like some huge, alien superstructure as I approached. This was from ~50ly out:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Near the core, the Space Cubes are due to the granularity of the star-generating algorithm. Anywhere else, especially if they have names that don't look like the randomly generated ones, are a result of real-life targeted star surveys.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I still want someone to give me a scientific explanation for that (actually catalogued) huge mess of B-stars near the Omega nebula. Bonus points if there's a proper reason why they so often come in pairs.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Is the Horizons Season Pass (on steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/441340/) just the unlock for any horizons content and nothing more?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ded posted:

Is the Horizons Season Pass (on steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/441340/) just the unlock for any horizons content and nothing more?

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
drat. They are trying to rope people with the 'season pass' bit to make it look like it's for any expansions.

• Locked thread