Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAD/CAM and Solidworks are decent choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's literally just called "mechanical engineering measurements", from what I understand it's basically learning how to instrument experimental setups and use various measuring devices (beyond the basic micrometers or whatever)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh that sounds fun!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds boring as gently caress, taking something else.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

It's literally just called "mechanical engineering measurements", from what I understand it's basically learning how to instrument experimental setups and use various measuring devices (beyond the basic micrometers or whatever)
Hey kids, and welcome to another episode of "Is it calibrated?". On today's show, Billy is going to tell us about his new favourite book, titled "Yes, I know you're in a hurry, but you still need to cool the loving parts down to room temperature before measuring a four-tenths tolerance."

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

InitialDave posted:

Hey kids, and welcome to another episode of "Is it calibrated?". On today's show, Billy is going to tell us about his new favourite book, titled "Yes, I know you're in a hurry, but you still need to cool the loving parts down to room temperature before measuring a four-tenths tolerance."

Make sure to stay tuned after "Is it calibrated" for a new episode of "Where Are They Now?"! Tonight: the Mars Climate Orbiter!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Larrymer posted:

Sounds boring as gently caress, taking something else.

If only it wasn't core curriculum for my degree

almost like engineers have to know how to measure things

e: bikechat, I've graduated from severe leg burn to pounding cardio after my rides, so I'm making progress somewhere. It's too the point where the cap on my top speed is the chain slipping in top gear.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 4, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That'd peg you about 20~mph on a standard geared bike. Good work!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

88h88 posted:

That'd peg you about 20~mph on a standard geared bike. Good work!

Strava says 26 but that was with legs moving really fast on a slight decline so

I really do need to get the gears checked out though now that I've got a little free time

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You're doing an engineering degree, bikes are the simplest pieces of engineering. Park Tools' website has guides for EVERYTHING bike related and their tools are pretty sweet too. Definitely worth a look.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Worn chain, and a worn cassette will cause slipping. Or maybe just your high limit adjustment is a bit off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say make sure your gears are set right and derailleurs are aligned with the gear selected first, but also check the wear in your chain.

Get a normal straight rule of some kind and measure the chain against it. 24 pins should be precisely 12". Up to 1/16" over that is probably fine, then up to 1/8" over is a good indication you should replace it, and more than 1/8" over means you're likely looking at enough wear to justify replacing the rear cassette also, as it may not play nicely with a new chain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

CAD/CAM and Solidworks are decent choices.

Solidworks is the bomb

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cassette = free hub, right? I've got a freewheel.

Didn't think about measuring the chain, I'll go check that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah you're right there, cassettes slide onto the freehub assembly, freewheels are their own beast and are cogs and mechanism in one and screw onto a hub.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, but the same logic as to condition applies.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
OMG I got kudos bombed big time. Thank you, that utterly made my day :D

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just saw three crashed cars during my 10 minute highway ride home. How the gently caress do New Englanders not know how to drive in half an inch of snow? It was two trucks and a Subie too. :psyduck:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This worked WAY loving better than expected:

+

=

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I adjusted the derailleurs as best I could a few weeks back, but the rear especially is a bit tricky, hard to check alignment while adjusting without a stand.

Chain is borderline, it's hard to hold both chain and tape measure taut but it's right on the edge of 1/16 over. 7th gear on the rear wheel definitely looks worn to my untrained eye, some of the teeth are shark fin shaped. I paged a picture somewhere, I'll repost it here once I'm off mobile.

The crank also has some slop, if you grab the pedals and rock it perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

Actually I just remembered the school has a group that does free bike repairs, I'll see if they can take a look at it in the next few days, see what's urgent or not.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Made it to Oregon and back in one piece, god I love road trips. My 01 V70 has 180k miles on it now, and it didn't use a drop of oil or coolant after my recent re-seal of the top end. I got terrible mileage due to blasting into a headwind at 85 mph the whole way but I made great time. They closed Wyoming on my way back so I had to hit a hotel in Ogden for a night but it cleared the next day.

This was my 13 year old's first road trip longer than 6 hours, she took it like a champ. She only slept for around an hour and a half on the way there, didn't complain at all, and had fun documenting the drive by texting with her friends and sending photos whenever she had signal. She and 3 of her friends found these little bear finger puppets and all took them on vacation over spring break.

Approaching the Wyoming state line:

Approaching Idaho:

Coming out of the Eastern Oregon mountains:

One of her friends' puppets unfortunately went overboard while whale watching in California. The other 3 will have a little memorial today.

Almost everyone on this trip had fantastic lane discipline, only one major idiot in Idaho who wouldn't move for anything, and one minor idiot in Wyoming who would get over to let you pass but jump immediately back into the left lane for no reason.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

If two people had the day off of work due to snow you would think they'd maybe shovel pr clean the pig sty pf a kitcheb and living room while the other 2 had to go work 10+ hours.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

literally a fish posted:

If any of you remember the time lapse test thing I did in mid-February, I've made it a youtube channel and posted all months up to March now;

Here's march;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A680uCliB-E

This is not getting enough love. It's beautiful. This is the kind of stuff I need to look at when I feel like the planet's gone to poo poo. Nothing like a 22K mile view to get perspective.

Rhyno posted:

I'll be honest, I did ponder making that joke.

They said some other poo poo about me not being cooperative but since I am 100% innocent and not involved I pretty much blew it off.

I can tell you from personal experience that "cooperating" with the police is the quickest way to get poo poo on I have seen short of actively assualting them.
gently caress the police, and gently caress your prior landlord.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If two people had the day off of work due to snow you would think they'd maybe shovel pr clean the pig sty pf a kitcheb and living room while the other 2 had to go work 10+ hours.

That's crazy Talk! Snow days are for playing video games.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
January and February snow in New England. "We're hardcore, we got this..."

Anywhere out of those 2 months = :supaburn:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Enourmo, taking some easy/fun classes while in Heat Transfer is a good idea. I don't know how your school will be, but my class average was in the 30s or 40s (and luckily we had a curve).

I got my Blipshift F40 poster in, so take a look at this bad picture of it:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I'll thnk about it, I've still got plenty of time to drop a class (it'd probably be vibrations & controls) before fall semester hits. Heat transfer is in the longest prereq chain leading to senior design so i need to get it out of the way asap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3gZISoOUV8

IT WORKS! IT loving WORKS! I'm so loving ecstatic!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Now that I own a farm I have this NEED. This NEED to buy lovely riding lawnmowers and put tiny pulleys on them so they go way too fast.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

Now that I own a farm I have this NEED. This NEED to buy lovely riding lawnmowers and put tiny pulleys on them so they go way too fast.

The need for speed?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cage posted:

April chat thread?

Are we sure its April?

Needless to say I was not able to drive it to work today. I attempted driving on my street, but 315mm in the rear (:thatswhatshesaid:) and hockey puck summer tires in the front do not make for a comforting ride.

your house is exactly the kind of house i want to grow old in

craftsmen/bungalow supremacy

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I am partsman, guardian of the auto parts. Never fear citizen, for I will find that weird obscure part for you!

Yes, even spark plugs for your 1915 Studebaker Four. And we even have a new 6v battery in stock too. :getin:

Still looking for a sediment filter for a 1949 ford sedan with a flathead V8 though. I did find an inline, but that involves cutting into a likely non replacable original rubber fuel hose with brass fittings.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 4, 2016

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

The need for speed?

I don't know if it's speed, more like dying horrifically after my lovely lawnmower hits a bump going 40mph.

NEAI 2016 is gonna have some lawnmower races if I have my way, however.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

I don't know if it's speed, more like dying horrifically after my lovely lawnmower hits a bump going 40mph.

NEAI 2016 is gonna have some lawnmower races if I have my way, however.

I was actually curious, because I have a drive from a self-propelled walk behind lawnmower, I wonder if it would make a fun little car for my kid.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I found out subaru makes lawnmower motors and immediately started trying to find out if I could make a go-kart out of it. With rally blue paint, gold wheels, a gently caress off huge spoiler and sti badges ofc. Its not a boxer engine though. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

I am partsman, guardian of the auto parts. Never fear citizen, for I will find that weird obscure part for you!

Yes, even spark plugs for your 1915 Studebaker Four. And we even have a new 6v battery in stock too. :getin:

Still looking for a sediment filter for a 1949 ford sedan with a flathead V8 though. I did find an inline, but that involves cutting into a likely non replacable original rubber fuel hose with brass fittings.

An original rubber fuel hose from 1949 sounds like a stellar thing to preserve.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Darchangel posted:

I can tell you from personal experience that "cooperating" with the police is the quickest way to get poo poo on I have seen short of actively assualting them.
gently caress the police, and gently caress your prior landlord.

Yeah, "cooperation" leads to sentences or plea bargains. There have been too many studies that show that the style of questioning most police departments use can lead even completely innocent individuals to believe that they are guilty of something and confess.

You did good, Rhyno. Unless you are under arrest, you're under no obligation to answer their questions and if you are under arrest, you have a right to have an attorney present during the questioning.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm not sure if its the original 1949 rubber given how nice of condition its in (probably not given it would be 70 years old at this point), but its definately an oddball piece with its brass fittings and I'd like to preserve it as much as possible. I've got some more options to explore. And if nothing else, we found a possible reproduction sediment filter on ebay, but he wants to buy them from us just out of loyalty. :3:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 5, 2016

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I was actually curious, because I have a drive from a self-propelled walk behind lawnmower, I wonder if it would make a fun little car for my kid.

If it's a horizontal transaxle you have your choice of horizontal drive motors and you can definitely turn that thing into a little car/go kart for your kid. Get a little 5hp Briggs and go to town!

Man, It's crazy how fast chickens grow. I got a dozen chicks a month ago from TSC and they're full on goddamn chickens now! Can't wait for fresh eggs.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

My boss's dad recently got that exact filter for his flathead. I'll ask him where he got then let you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I'll thnk about it, I've still got plenty of time to drop a class (it'd probably be vibrations & controls) before fall semester hits. Heat transfer is in the longest prereq chain leading to senior design so i need to get it out of the way asap.

:siren: :siren: DO NOT TAKE VIBRATIONS & CONTROLS AND HEAT TRANSFER AT THE SAME TIME. :siren: :siren:

• Locked thread