Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tunga posted:

The 6P doesn't have QuickCharge. Are you talking about some other device?

(You're not, because you're Smythe.)

sory I guess i got it confused with Rapid Charging. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Hoss: Eh yea hussler you done got the QuickCharge?
Rustler: Yeap I done got it rih hea
Hoss: PLug that bad bitch in *fishes USB-C cable over the saloon bar*
*now charging rapidly* text appears on lockscreen
Hoss: Boy dadgummit that aint no QuickCharge
Rustler: *eyes dart around room before diving behind a round saloon table as Hoss empties his revolver into everywhere*

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Sort of not android related but...

What's going to be my best replacement for Google Wallet since Google is killing the physical card in June? I'm pretty bummed about it and want something as close as possible. I used the card so my girlfriend could do the grocery shopping with a set budgeted amount and I could also control and monitor my kid's allowance via the card.

I need a physical card I can instantly send money to with my phone from a linked checking account.
I need said card to deny a transaction if there is insufficient available funds.
Purchases with the card need to trigger an alert email or notification to my phone.

Is there anything out there that fits my requirements?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sort of not android related but...

What's going to be my best replacement for Google Wallet since Google is killing the physical card in June? I'm pretty bummed about it and want something as close as possible. I used the card so my girlfriend could do the grocery shopping with a set budgeted amount and I could also control and monitor my kid's allowance via the card.

I need a physical card I can instantly send money to with my phone from a linked checking account.
I need said card to deny a transaction if there is insufficient available funds.
Purchases with the card need to trigger an alert email or notification to my phone.

Is there anything out there that fits my requirements?

Directly from the email they sent out to all Wallet Card users:

...If you’re interested in finding a replacement for your Wallet Card, both American Express and Simple offer debit accounts with similar features, including a card...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

amenenema posted:

Directly from the email they sent out to all Wallet Card users:

...If you’re interested in finding a replacement for your Wallet Card, both American Express and Simple offer debit accounts with similar features, including a card...

Oh, well I'll be damned. Guess I should have read the entire thing instead of rage quitting it immediately. :v:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'll vouch for Simple because it's pretty awesome and I use them as my bank. Doesn't seem like you could do what you're asking with it though, tbh though I don't use Simple the way you used Wallet so it might be there and I just don't know.

----

In other stuff, I just found out Android has a beta program similar to what Apple did with iOS 9.3. Went ahead and enrolled and installed N and it's just really dang cool.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

Rustler: *eyes dart around room before diving behind a round saloon table as Hoss empties his revolver into everywhere*

You really are the google equivalent of the Apple Fanboi. You even mimick the bad fanfluff. But ill be damned if you arent considered the treasure this thread needs to stay amazing. Thank you for being Awesome.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Smythe posted:

E P I L O G U E :
Rustler got shot for using the wrong charger in the android thread

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Smythe posted:

This is amazing. Honest to god love this post.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

deong posted:

I'm sure its just wishful thinking, but I thought it had to do with a metal body not being good for inductive charging?

I'm sure it'll switch back in the next revision, you know, just after you sell all your QI pads.

The S6 is metal and QI charges as well as a plastic nexus 5 (slowly.)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

grimcreaper posted:

You really are the google equivalent of the Apple Fanboi. You even mimick the bad fanfluff. But ill be damned if you arent considered the treasure this thread needs to stay amazing. Thank you for being Awesome.

Some say he's parked outside that best buy with his megaphone to this very day.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

uPen posted:

The S6 is metal and QI charges as well as a plastic nexus 5 (slowly.)

If I'm not mistaken, Samsung didn't introduce wireless quick charge until the S6E+\Note 5.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Best Buy is now selling unlocked Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge without all the carrier bloat.

Note that this is believed to be the Exynos processor / GSM version, not the Snapdragon 820 / US Carriers version.

Also, I tried to reproduce this:

on my Galaxy S7 but I was not able to.

I assume the original person installed a stupid "performance enhancer" app or something and then decided to blame Samsung.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

Best Buy is now selling unlocked Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge without all the carrier bloat.

Note that this is believed to be the Exynos processor / GSM version, not the Snapdragon 820 / US Carriers version.

Also, I tried to reproduce this:

on my Galaxy S7 but I was not able to.

I assume the original person installed a stupid "performance enhancer" app or something and then decided to blame Samsung.

Wonder if Samsung Pay works? And a US warranty? These two things have generally been downsides of imported devices.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Smythe posted:

A billion times faster. It's epic. My 6P lasts 2 days on 1 charge and goes from sub 15% to full in like a half hour or something. it's epic, and for the win.

You should see my S7 charge, it's like the stars align.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Wonder if Samsung Pay works? And a US warranty? These two things have generally been downsides of imported devices.

The item listing says

quote:

This device is not warrantied through the manufacturer. This device has a limited 1 year warranty provided by CCR Warranty.
so yeah, sounds like Best Buy is selling import devices.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I just got a Nexus 6P after drowning my OnePlus One. While I was doing all the initial setting up and fiddling about, I swiped into Google Now and at the bottom of my cards it said something like 'know what's going on around you with local info' (or events? something like that). There was a link that said either 'learn more' or 'get started', I forget which, but when I pressed it the message disappeared and nothing happened. I think I probably have it turned on anyway but just in case I don't, does anyone know what settings/features this was referring to?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've got a Vodafone UK Galaxy S7. I'm still sitting on the February security patch level. Has anyone received the March update? I heard the S7 Edge was receiving it. I also contacted Vodafone who said it comes directly from Samsung, not through them.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I hear notification sounds through the external speaker on my s6 (marshmallow), even when headphones are plugged in. Is this a Samsung and/or Android bug? I don't know a scenario in which you'd be listening to some sort of media via headphones and want notification sounds to go through the phone speaker.

I feel like this is a new issue since I updated to marshmallow a couple weeks ago. I'm not positive, but I feel like I would have noticed sooner. Now I'm getting paranoid that I've been the rear end in a top hat in a quiet room listening to music while email/text/messenger notifications are going off for the past several months.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

The item listing says
so yeah, sounds like Best Buy is selling import devices.

Oh, well hope Best Buy is ready for confused people to return it because "Samsung Pay doesn't work properly." You can get imported S7's on eBay, new, for much less all day long. Strange move by Best Buy, IMO.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
does anyone know of a quick meal tracking app where it has breakfast/lunch/dinner, you hit a 'add meal' button and just take a picture..?

I'm trying MyFitnessPal but it seems you need to enter in all the meal information.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Danith posted:

does anyone know of a quick meal tracking app where it has breakfast/lunch/dinner, you hit a 'add meal' button and just take a picture..?

I'm trying MyFitnessPal but it seems you need to enter in all the meal information.

Personally, I'd use OneNote for that task. Evernote would work too if I was still using EN.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

chippy posted:

I just got a Nexus 6P after drowning my OnePlus One. While I was doing all the initial setting up and fiddling about, I swiped into Google Now and at the bottom of my cards it said something like 'know what's going on around you with local info' (or events? something like that). There was a link that said either 'learn more' or 'get started', I forget which, but when I pressed it the message disappeared and nothing happened. I think I probably have it turned on anyway but just in case I don't, does anyone know what settings/features this was referring to?

Location services for Google Now, basically. I haven't been on Android for a minute but IIRC it'll add cards to Google Now specific to your location and :tinfoil:search history:tinfoil: -- nearby restaurants/attractions, upcoming local events, where you parked your car, etc. It's basically what makes Google Now really cool and handy, instead of just being a news aggregate of sorts.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Mr Executive posted:

I hear notification sounds through the external speaker on my s6 (marshmallow), even when headphones are plugged in. Is this a Samsung and/or Android bug? I don't know a scenario in which you'd be listening to some sort of media via headphones and want notification sounds to go through the phone speaker.

I feel like this is a new issue since I updated to marshmallow a couple weeks ago. I'm not positive, but I feel like I would have noticed sooner. Now I'm getting paranoid that I've been the rear end in a top hat in a quiet room listening to music while email/text/messenger notifications are going off for the past several months.

That's a Samsung feature. Android will play your incoming call sound through the speakers too, but not random notifications.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
My S7 finally arrived, this thing is sleek. Samsung's smart swap system or whatever it's called makes device migration really easy too. I think I'm gonna enjoy having a smaller phone again, phablets don't fit in my pocket very well.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

enojy posted:

Location services for Google Now, basically. I haven't been on Android for a minute but IIRC it'll add cards to Google Now specific to your location and :tinfoil:search history:tinfoil: -- nearby restaurants/attractions, upcoming local events, where you parked your car, etc. It's basically what makes Google Now really cool and handy, instead of just being a news aggregate of sorts.

I figured it was probably that stuff. I always had it turned on on my old phone, so I presumed the preference would be saved to my google acount. I can't see anything specific in the Google Now settings that says 'suggest stuff based on my location' - does anyone know which settings I need to make sure are on?

It's showing a card for my parking location, so I guess location stuff must be on to at least some extent.

e: Ah don't worry, I got it. It's in 'Customize', not 'Settings'.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The external speaker on my LG G3 stopped working about half a year ago. I cracked the screen, so I stopped by a cell phone repair place and had them fix it while I was at work. I got it back with a new screen, but the speaker didn't work anymore. All the search terms I can figure out for "LG G3 speaker not working" isn't getting me anywhere, and I can't tell if it's a software problem or a hardware problem. The earpiece works fine, which means that the phone works, and headphones work fine as well - it's just that the external speaker doesn't work, and therefore neither does speakerphone.

Has anyone had a problem like this? I keep hearing something about build.prop and some people no longer getting sound with that, but I don't know if that's the problem in my case. Is something physically broken, or is a setting just screwed up somewhere?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

The external speaker on my LG G3 stopped working about half a year ago. I cracked the screen, so I stopped by a cell phone repair place and had them fix it while I was at work. I got it back with a new screen, but the speaker didn't work anymore. All the search terms I can figure out for "LG G3 speaker not working" isn't getting me anywhere, and I can't tell if it's a software problem or a hardware problem. The earpiece works fine, which means that the phone works, and headphones work fine as well - it's just that the external speaker doesn't work, and therefore neither does speakerphone.

Has anyone had a problem like this? I keep hearing something about build.prop and some people no longer getting sound with that, but I don't know if that's the problem in my case. Is something physically broken, or is a setting just screwed up somewhere?

I'd put my money on something going wrong during the screen replacement, it's not that uncommon.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Physically broken is my vote too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Danith posted:

Are you talking about taking a picture and it magically figures out what the food is and what the nutritional content is, or just taking a picture so you can remember what you ate?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I stuck my phone into a plate of spaghetti but I believe the chemical sensor might not be working because it didn't identify my meal immediately. Please send help.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tsyni posted:

I stuck my phone into a plate of spaghetti but I believe the chemical sensor might not be working because it didn't identify my meal immediately. Please send help.

Did you remember to calibrate it with a two-week organic gluten-free diet first?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tsyni posted:

Samsung hosed up their implementation of it on Touchwiz, you need to feed the spaghetti into the headphone jack.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Samsung hosed up their implementation of it on Touchwiz, you need to feed the spaghetti into the headphone jack.
On Samsung phones it only works with S-Paghetti.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
You guys laugh, but, apparently that actually is a thing.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/information/new-phone-app-computes-calories-by-taking-a-picture-of-your-meal.htm

I have no idea how well it works though, and it's iOS only.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
The wires of my ear buds are a bit damaged and when I use them with my 6P they seem to mess with the volume when the cord wiggles around, I assume because it's triggering the sound/playback controls through the headphone jack. Is there any way to turn that off?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If this is the one I'm thinking of it turned out they were putting them all on Mechanical Turk and it wasn't actually AI-based at all.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 6, 2016

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm thinking of buying one of these $30 VR headsets on Amazon just to dip my toe in the bleak future that is virtual reality. Is there one that is goon approved? There's a million of them, reviews are all over the place, and random ones say they aren't compatible with the Google Cardboard app for some reason.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SebAndSeb posted:

The wires of my ear buds are a bit damaged and when I use them with my 6P they seem to mess with the volume when the cord wiggles around, I assume because it's triggering the sound/playback controls through the headphone jack. Is there any way to turn that off?

If you're rooted, Autostarts by Michael Elsdorfer (on the Play store) can deny the media key pressed event to any app you like, so you can just keep anything from happening that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Any recommendations for the Nexus 6P? I was going to go with my usual Diztronic TPU (or similar) + tempered glass combo, but the one on the Play Store actually looks quite nice (https://store.google.com/product/adopted_case_n6p). Does anyone have it? My only concern is that it might not be all that protective.

e:Oh, there's this one as well. https://store.google.com/product/adopted_protective_case_n6p And this. https://store.google.com/product/speck_candyshell_grip_case_n6p And it's cheaper. Anyone able to compare them?

chippy fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 6, 2016