Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Finalized my Spain itinerary. Madrid - Valencia - Barcelona - Seville - Granada - Madrid in 15 days. Hope it's not too much jumping around. I'm cutting down on my travel time by flying from Barcelona to Seville. All together I think its 13.5 hours of travel plus the time to get to the stations and go through security, which doesn't seem that bad, but we will see.

That's not very much time at all to spend in any one place, but if you're okay with that I think it's doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

PT6A posted:

That's not very much time at all to spend in any one place, but if you're okay with that I think it's doable.

Yeah I know, it's worse than I wanted originally because I squeezed in Valencia so we could do the Tomatina festival. But I will still have 4 days in Madrid and 4 in Barcelona, which isn't bad.

It's less crazy than Rick Steves' suggested itinerary at least.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah I know, it's worse than I wanted originally because I squeezed in Valencia so we could do the Tomatina festival. But I will still have 4 days in Madrid and 4 in Barcelona, which isn't bad.

It's less crazy than Rick Steves' suggested itinerary at least.

I'd limit time in Granada, if you're looking for where to shave some days off. Get in, see the Alhambra, get drunk and eat tapas on Calle Navas, sleep and go back to Sevilla. That's partially my own prejudice, though, since I didn't really enjoy Granada that much and other people seem to like it much more than I did.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
When over in Europe, is there an "EU wide" sim card to use in my iphone, or do I just buy a new SIM every time I enter a new country?

Really just need it for the data to find things/get around.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

ddiddles posted:

When over in Europe, is there an "EU wide" sim card to use in my iphone, or do I just buy a new SIM every time I enter a new country?

Not until 2017.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

ddiddles posted:

How long are you going for? I know my Italisn Vodafone sim had a passport feature that was 2-3 euro per day in other countries. Not great, but if you go between a lot of countries it may be cheaper than picking up a sim in each.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

asur posted:

How long are you going for? I know my Italisn Vodafone sim had a passport feature that was 2-3 euro per day in other countries. Not great, but if you go between a lot of countries it may be cheaper than picking up a sim in each.

Lol, that feature costs $10/day on my Canadian plan. Even European ripoff fees are less severe than ours when it comes to cellphones...

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

asur posted:

4-6 months across northern and eastern europe.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Even this kind of thinking is unnecessary and might preoccupy you without adding to your security. I think only one bombing this year fit this scenario.

Eh, my definition of 'if you have to' is loose. I have to see the sights, and crowds aren't going to stop me. Basically if I have nothing to do I'm not gonna just stand around in a crowd (though I really think I won't have any free time to stand around, I'm gonna see the poo poo outta that city).

Also I'm def. gonna go to the markets and get some coffee. I need coffee.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 24, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm not going to give these coward pieces of filth a second goddamned thought. I'm going to take the metros, go to airports, go to whatever crowded places I want, and I'm most especially not going to even look twice at an Arab-looking person or someone wearing a headscarf, which is obviously not an uncommon or suspicious thing.

These ISIS fuckers are trying to scare us, trying to change our lives and our choices, and especially trying to drive a wedge between decent Muslims and immigrants and everyone else. You're a coward and a collaborator if you give into their bullshit and fear.

Edit: Sorry to be so, uh, emphatic about it, but I feel very strongly about this. We cannot allow terrorism to succeed, and everyone who gets scared, and either perpetuates racism or runs scared is just playing into their hands.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 24, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Gawd drat, dude. I'm going to Istanbul and staying in the center of Beyoglu. Y'know, the place that was literally just bombed.

Do you want me to run around the streets screaming, "I'M NOT SCARED! I'M NOT SCAAAAAAAARED!"? If you want to argue some nuance like "well, the probability decrease vs annoyance from being paranoid ratio is pretty low" then cool, we can talk about that.

E: I do see and agree that we can't let terrorism deter us. I'm still going, and it's not going to affect what I see in the city. But if the opportunity arrives to have a bit of prudence, it may behoove one to show some prudence.

It's the same thing with thieves and pickpockets. Should you let them scare you into not going out at night? No. Should you maybe not walk with your face buried in your phone and pay attention to your surroundings, or maybe put your wallet in a zipping/buttoning pocket if you have one? Yeah, why the hell not.

E2: It's the difference between paranoia and pragmatism, in my book. Cancelling/altering trips? Paranoia. Taking small, easy measures to decrease some probabilities? Pragmatism.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 24, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Gawd drat, dude. I'm going to Istanbul and staying in the center of Beyoglu. Y'know, the place that was literally just bombed.

Do you want me to run around the streets screaming, "I'M NOT SCARED! I'M NOT SCAAAAAAAARED!"? If you want to argue some nuance like "well, the probability decrease vs annoyance from being paranoid ratio is pretty low" then cool, we can talk about that.

E: I do see and agree that we can't let terrorism deter us. I'm still going, and it's not going to affect what I see in the city. But if the opportunity arrives to have a bit of prudence, it may behoove one to show some prudence.

It's the same thing with thieves and pickpockets. Should you let them scare you into not going out at night? No. Should you maybe not walk with your face buried in your phone and pay attention to your surroundings, or maybe put your wallet in a zipping/buttoning pocket if you have one? Yeah, why the hell not.

E2: It's the difference between paranoia and pragmatism, in my book. Cancelling/altering trips? Paranoia. Taking small, easy measures to decrease some probabilities? Pragmatism.

Oh, I didn't mean to say you were doing the wrong thing at all, just adding to what you said. Sorry if I didn't make that clear (I didn't and that was my fault). You're doing the right thing, along with me, and every single other person who doesn't let fear dictate their lives. Apologies; the way I phrased things probably made me seem like a real cock.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

PT6A posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to say you were doing the wrong thing at all, just adding to what you said. Sorry if I didn't make that clear (I didn't and that was my fault). You're doing the right thing, along with me, and every single other person who doesn't let fear dictate their lives. Apologies; the way I phrased things probably made me seem like a real cock.

No worries bro, I know how text sometimes doesn't get the ideas across well in this fast-paced typing age~

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, it's not aimed at anyone in this thread, just many things that I've heard, with schools cancelling class trips and whatnot. As much as anything, I want to stand by those who don't let their fear control them. I won't lie: I think there is a greater risk of traveling in Europe compared to staying in Canada. But I cannot and will not allow that to affect my decisions or the way I lead my life. I applaud all those who feel and act the same, and I'd encourage anyone who's hesitating to book that trip, just to metaphorically piss in the face of a bunch of terrorist bastards.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Getting caught in a bombing is like winning the nega-lottery. Like, it happens, but come on.

Anywho, [/end derail]

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If any goon here gets caught in terrorist attack im gonna toxx myself. Scamming? Not so much

The only reason why I can see people not going to these places is seeing how somber/sad/depressing the mood is.

And honestly guys safety radar is relative. Lots of folks get scared of Asia Africa and god knows where but some places in USA is crazy filled with meth heads and gun shots and what not.

It's all perspective and relative to your background and comfort level so arguing about it is kind of moot.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

poo poo, just remembered my Cousin is going to university in Brussels, should probably send an email or something.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah. A month ago I (in Orange County, CA) heard like 30 gunshots. From an auto rifle. A street away.

That was a fun time.

*Come out of room*

"That ... that wasn't fireworks, was it."

"Nope."

"Whelp, time to call the cops."

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Saladman posted:

Tourism and Travel: The How Can I Benefit Financially From a Terrorist Attack? Edition

Honestly, it's a valid strategy. Ticket prices crater, everything has the best security, there are no lines. It's the best time to visit as the cow-eyed tourists have vacated the area in a 500 mile (800km?) radius.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

ddiddles posted:

4-6 months across northern and eastern europe.

I was in Europe for 6 months last year, spending about 4 weeks in a given country, and got a new local sim in each place. These are the current pan-European options.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I'd just buy a local sim at each place too. Usually they're basically free, as in you get the purchase value in credit.

Struensee posted:

mobby_6kl you haven't got PMs.
Yeah I know :smith: You can email me at mobby.6kl@gmail.com. Kutna Hora is nice. A bit closer is Karlstejn. Between these and all the stuff Prague you should probably have enough for your short stay.

As for the bars, some people like Lokal, it's not super divy but an interesting experience. There was a more sketchy one I used to go to right in the center somewhere but I don't remember what it was called :v: I like the atmosphere of underground rock clubs like Kain but they're really all over the place so you can safely go anywhere that doesn't look too expensive and get an authentic experience.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Saladman posted:

I'd be a lot more worried about your one hour layover, if that means exactly 60 minutes anyway (unless you're not going through customs and changing terminals either arriving or departing?). 90 minute layovers are about the minimum for being pretty much assured to make your flight for international transfers.

Well,, 90 minutes layover on my outward trip and 60 minutes on my return trip, both in Brussels.
I'll be flying with the same airline on both flights and from the same terminal.

Worked fine when i changed Lufthansa flights with a 50 minute layover in Munich a few months ago.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

spoof posted:

I was in Europe for 6 months last year, spending about 4 weeks in a given country, and got a new local sim in each place. These are the current pan-European options.

That answers my question, thanks!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Since my Brussels transfer paranoia has subsided, I have an actual on topic question regarding my trip to Portugal this summer.

Anybody familiar with any good options for a prepaid SIM card for calls and data for internet?

I'm going to be there little more than a month, I have wifi were I'm staying but when I'm out and about it might be the cheaper option in the long run. Also I go there once or twice a year so it's good to have a Portuguese SIM in the future too.

I'm also curious about locations where to find bugs and sea/lake invertebrates in Portugal, but that may be too specific and something I will have to find on my own. I know some spots of shallow sea in mind, but freshwater and land bugs I have to go and scout natural sites.

Bird watching is also on the list, but fortunately there are already good resources of where to go.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have maybe 15 days in mid-May where I'm traveling from West Africa to California via Europe and wanting to take some time along the way for some sightseeing.

I don't know where in Europe I'll be arriving, whatever's cheapest that week from Liberia, probably Paris, Brussels, or Barcelona. I already booked my tickets out of Europe, leaving Oslo on 17 May to Los Angeles since I found a $270 budget flight with Norwegian Air.

As much as it sounds cool to "draw a line along the map" by traveling overland, it's really just not practical or affordable compared to air, right? Like I was thinking if I land in Paris I could spend a few days there, take a train to Amsterdam for a couple days, overnight train to Copenhagen, and ferry-boat to Oslo. But the Amsterdam-Copenhagen train is probably like $100 and takes 11 hours (albeit 8 of those sleeping) and the Copenhagen ferry is like $115 and 17 hours overnight.

I realize ultimately it's a personal call, but from an outside perspective does it sound fun and a hotel-defraying technique to go Paris-Amsterdam-Copenhagen-Oslo (considering sleeping hours mostly I'm just losing one half-day in Copenhagen), or would it just be more practical to just go Paris-Oslo and get plenty of chill time to enjoy Norway after a year in Africa?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I have maybe 15 days in mid-May where I'm traveling from West Africa to California via Europe and wanting to take some time along the way for some sightseeing.

I don't know where in Europe I'll be arriving, whatever's cheapest that week from Liberia, probably Paris, Brussels, or Barcelona. I already booked my tickets out of Europe, leaving Oslo on 17 May to Los Angeles since I found a $270 budget flight with Norwegian Air.

As much as it sounds cool to "draw a line along the map" by traveling overland, it's really just not practical or affordable compared to air, right? Like I was thinking if I land in Paris I could spend a few days there, take a train to Amsterdam for a couple days, overnight train to Copenhagen, and ferry-boat to Oslo. But the Amsterdam-Copenhagen train is probably like $100 and takes 11 hours (albeit 8 of those sleeping) and the Copenhagen ferry is like $115 and 17 hours overnight.

I realize ultimately it's a personal call, but from an outside perspective does it sound fun and a hotel-defraying technique to go Paris-Amsterdam-Copenhagen-Oslo (considering sleeping hours mostly I'm just losing one half-day in Copenhagen), or would it just be more practical to just go Paris-Oslo and get plenty of chill time to enjoy Norway after a year in Africa?

This probably depends on how well you sleep on the train. In theory, train links are quick and easy (especially for Paris -> Amsterdam -> Germany), but the train ride to Copenhagen drags on a bit. The airport in Copenhagen is also fairly central, so you wouldn't save much on travelling time upon arrival. For the Oslo leg, CPH to Gardermoen is a really, really quick flight, but it takes a bit to get into Oslo; on the other hand, the ferry is actually quite nice (does that price already include a cabin?). If you can sleep decently on the train, there is nothing wrong with the overnight train; if you cannot, I'd suggest staying in a hotel and just flying. One of the cooler trainlinks is the ICE (Deutsche Bahn/German Railways) from Hamburg to Copenhagen, by the way, since they shove the whole train onto a ferry (there is one that goes over bridges as well, which is the same route as the overnight train), so you get to be on the train, leave on the ferry, then get back on and have a fairly quick trip to CPH.

edit: Flying with Norwegian from CPH to Oslo should be really cheap, at least it was last time I did, so that might handily beat the price for the ferry.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Falukorv posted:

Since my Brussels transfer paranoia has subsided, I have an actual on topic question regarding my trip to Portugal this summer.

Anybody familiar with any good options for a prepaid SIM card for calls and data for internet?

I'm going to be there little more than a month, I have wifi were I'm staying but when I'm out and about it might be the cheaper option in the long run. Also I go there once or twice a year so it's good to have a Portuguese SIM in the future too.
I've not been to Portugal, but I use this wiki for prepaid SIM cards. It's usually pretty up to date and accurate.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hollow Talk posted:

One of the cooler trainlinks is the ICE (Deutsche Bahn/German Railways) from Hamburg to Copenhagen, by the way, since they shove the whole train onto a ferry (there is one that goes over bridges as well, which is the same route as the overnight train), so you get to be on the train, leave on the ferry, then get back on and have a fairly quick trip to CPH.

YES! This is the coolest ferry/train ride ever and is totally worth it just for the mindfuck of getting off the train and being on a ferry for a while.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah I took that once and I did not know that was going to happen.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So has Taksim Square been intentionally ruined in the past couple years, or did it always suck? It's a bunch of scrubby trees, a couple ugly statues, and it's surrounded by a ton of traffic. There was literally no one actually inside the park yesterday when I went, at noon on a Saturday (admittedly quite cold and windy for April). There were lots of bare trees and no flowers.

Compared to the other parks in Istanbul, like Topkapi, it's awful. I don't know why anyone would object to replacing it with a shopping mall, but I guess one day as a tourist doesn't really expose me to the issues.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

So I'll be visiting Europe in July on a separate trip, and I have a couple of months to fill in (end of July, all of August) before meeting someone in Slovenia and moving on to Italy. I'm looking for somewhere interesting and reasonably cheap - any suggestions?

I'm interested in eastern Europe and particularly the Balkans, but I've never been to Europe and I'm a bit paralysed by choice. I'm a woman traveling alone.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Here's an entirely subjective proposal. Start with Istanbul. It's now probably cheaper due to political problems but those should have no effect on you. Fly to Athens, then Dubrovnik, then take a boat to one of the islands (Mljet, Korcula, Hvar), then continue by boat to Split. Take a bus to Bosnia, see some locations recently discussed in this thread, maybe Sarajevo. Back to Split. From there bus to Plitvice lakes and then Zagreb. OR a plane from Split to Prague, Budapest or Vienna. That's not Balkans any more but you might like seeing a major mittel/eastern European city.

The proposal is sea-oriented and you could instead go Belgrade and Bulgaria or Romania. I would prefer to stay on the seaside in the middle of the summer but maybe you'd prefer cool mountains and forests. Can't help you much there.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks, that gives me a lot of ideas! I'll post more in this thread as I firm things up.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
2015 was a record year for tourism in Istanbul, after a previous record year in 2014. Tourism in the country as a whole is down a little bit, but I'd be surprised if the bombings in Istanbul make much impact. I was on Istiklal street this past week and I couldn't even tell where the suicide bombing happened, and the street was still packed at all times of day. Unless there's a terrorist attack that kills more people in Istanbul than a day's worth of car crashes, I'd be surprised if the tourism numbers are affected enough to really change prices or anything practical, just like with Paris.

For some reason, certain countries are far more affected by similar-scale terrorist attacks (see: Tunisia).

Edit: actually, Turkey shooting down the Russian jet will probably have a far larger effect on tourism, since Russian visiting numbers have dropped. On that thought, maybe tourism will drop year over year, but it will be driven by Russians and not Western Europeans.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 4, 2016

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going to Rome and want to visit the Vatican on 5/2. If I buy tickets via the official website, how do I get them? Is there a will call window or something? Is the line to pick up tickets that are already paid for the same line as waiting to buy tickets?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

I'm going to Rome and want to visit the Vatican on 5/2. If I buy tickets via the official website, how do I get them? Is there a will call window or something? Is the line to pick up tickets that are already paid for the same line as waiting to buy tickets?

The second one, you print out your sheet with the date and time you've reserved, go to the reserved lineup when you walk in, give your sheet of paper to a dude who will not give a poo poo if you're not there at your allotted date/time because it's Italy, and then smugly walk past everyone waiting to buy their tickets.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
My boyfriend and I are going to Germany next week, land April 12th and leave April 19th. We plan to split the trip between Berlin and Munich, with a day trip to the Neuschwanstein castle and probably Dachau as well. We love cool architecture and art/museums, as well as bars and live music. We don't mind walking so anywhere where we can just wander around and stumble into cool stuff works too. Any recommendations for places we should definitely have on our radar?

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012
My girlfriend and I are thinking of moving to Praha, Czech Republic, and we're looking into the rent market, our income for the first 3 months would be just 1000 to 1200 euros and we have absolutely no idea about rent prices or cost of living, We've been living in south spain with 900 Euros for a year now fore reference so We don't have any need of fancy things, just want to know if it's worth it to move there. Can someone help?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I only know one anecdotal example from a friend who lived there a few years ago but her rent was around €300 for quite a nice apartment in Prague 5 (nothing crazy though, it was mostly a single big room with a nice kitchen), not far from the center. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than Spain in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Entropist posted:

I only know one anecdotal example from a friend who lived there a few years ago but her rent was around €300 for quite a nice apartment in Prague 5 (nothing crazy though, it was mostly a single big room with a nice kitchen), not far from the center. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than Spain in general.

Well, I lived in Romania for 2 years and they had all kinds of websites that were more or less accessible for me as I could read half of it and understand it, the problem is I haven't found any websites that don't cater to the ex-pat elite, thanks for the tip tho, I've heard from another person that they were paying 10000 kr for a 1 bedroom flat so it sounds reasonable