Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I cannot see how this is a good idea, especially at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
If the new movie is a success you can put advertising for the BluRays onto any material for the new one ("See how it all started", etc. as an end card on trailers / TV spots). If it's a stinker you at least have awareness and maybe can use that momentum for the originals. You always have new versions of movies and box sets coming our around the release for another one of the series, why would you waste that chance for this one?

I saw the trailer (the one with Hemsworth at the end) for the first time at a regular showing (BvS). One person immediately knew what it was and let the whole theatre know that he doesn't like it (so funny, random nerd person...we stood up / clapped / etc) but the rest of the audience was laughing throughout, especially for the "I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S A RACE THING OR A LADY THING..." - moment. There you go: Real people not arguing on the internet are easily pleased and like that kind of humor. This should do well!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

I cannot see how this is a good idea, especially at this time.

The franchise rights alone will make us rich beyond our wildest dreams.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

The DVD/Blu-Ray cover art for the original movies really seems to get worse with every re-release.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Avril Lavigne posted:

The DVD/Blu-Ray cover art for the original movies really seems to get worse with every re-release.

I'd love a really classy release with it being a black box, maybe a paper/cardboard cover, and it JUST has the no-ghost logo on it, both the front and the back.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love a really classy release with it being a black box, maybe a paper/cardboard cover, and it JUST has the no-ghost logo on it, both the front and the back.

I have this matte Steelbook Blu Ray which is pretty close-

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Avril Lavigne posted:

I have this matte Steelbook Blu Ray which is pretty close-

Oh, wow, yeah. That's pretty much what I'd want.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Why is the logo mirrored?

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Kevyn posted:

No idea, but it's also that way on my old 15th Anniversary Edition DVD from 1999.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

AlexF posted:

If the new movie is a success you can put advertising for the BluRays onto any material for the new one ("See how it all started", etc. as an end card on trailers / TV spots). If it's a stinker you at least have awareness and maybe can use that momentum for the originals. You always have new versions of movies and box sets coming our around the release for another one of the series, why would you waste that chance for this one?

No I just mean I don't see how you can take 30-year-old movies and do a 4K image quality transfer and expect it to look good, especially this early in the life of 4KHD when nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing yet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jamesman posted:

No I just mean I don't see how you can take 30-year-old movies and do a 4K image quality transfer and expect it to look good, especially this early in the life of 4KHD when nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing yet.

Ghostbusters already had a 4K remaster released two years ago and it looks loving gorgeous.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Avril Lavigne posted:

No Winston on the first one. :(

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jamesman posted:

I'm certainly no film expert, but if you have the original negatives or a decent print (and Ghostbusters was, I believe, well-preserved) you can make a really good transfer of it.

Obviously it's not an exactly similar situation, but Baraka got an 8K Transfer around 08 or 09. It was shot mostly on 65mm format - and though film isn't something that scales identically with digital, one can imagine a 35mm movie looking fine in 4K.

I could tell you right now I bet they'll colour correct it to all hell and make it look nowhere near as good somehow, but it's theoretically possible, according to my made up maths.

I'm still waiting on a version of the Matrix Revolutions that makes the rain in the end fight look halfway decent. Even on the Blu Ray it's blocky.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Ghostbusters already had a 4K remaster released two years ago and it looks loving gorgeous.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-...busters+blu+ray

The box art isn't anything special but its way better than this new monstrosity. And yea the transfer on it is fantastic, I'm pretty sure the movie won't look all that much different in Ultra HD.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Avril Lavigne posted:

At least now the "no ghost" symbol isn't tilted at a weird angle.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jamesman posted:

1.) Scan at higher resolution
2.) ?
3.) Profit

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Do all these new medias have the unnecessary color correct? I will never part with my OG Ghostbusters DVD because it's still got that purple tint.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, the Visual History book just told me about this... We all know about the cut subplot of Ray going full-Vigo in the car when leaving the museum. There's footage of it in the montage, there's some behind the scenes footage found online of Ray walking briskly past Peter, as if he's not himself.

And now there's this. Admittedly, it's not much, but this ad does in fact include footage cut from the second film (that wasn't even included in the deleted scenes for the blu-ray release)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qPxlIVeRO4

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Kevyn posted:

It means it's European. It runs like that on Prohibatory street signs and they decided it would be wierd to see it backwards in the uk. Look for eu versions of the ghostbusters poster.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Some pictures of Funko's new Ghostbusters figures, including a potential spoiler or two:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2016/04/funko-calls-in-its-new-ghostbusters-pop-vinyl-figures/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Scroto Baggins posted:

Do all these new medias have the unnecessary color correct? I will never part with my OG Ghostbusters DVD because it's still got that purple tint.

Yeah, I have an original Matrix release from before they made it look like a St. Patrick's Day special, poo poo's ridiculous.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ShineDog posted:

It means it's European. It runs like that on Prohibatory street signs and they decided it would be wierd to see it backwards in the uk. Look for eu versions of the ghostbusters poster.

Makes sense, yet it's the other way around whenever you see it in the movie. So why even bother?

Europeans are loving weird.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
What the hell is Rowan's ghost? Since he looks like the Ghostbusters logo, I'm inclined to believe this movie felt the need to create an origin story for how the logo is created?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jamesman posted:

What the hell is Rowan's ghost? Since he looks like the Ghostbusters logo, I'm inclined to believe this movie felt the need to create an origin story for how the logo is created?

The ongoing rumor is that it is similar to Gozer in that it's a villain who takes the form of something created by the protagonists.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

So pretty much the best thing ever is happening in Minneapolis. I posted earlier in this thread that Stern is releasing a Ghostbusters Pinball machine featuring characters from the first two films.

Every new Stern pinball game gets a launch party here. I just got word that our local pinball crew got Ernie Hudson to agree to come out to the pinball launch party here. Details are sparse but this should be happening at the Surly Brewing company April 30th. Hanging with a Ghostbuster and playing pinball is pretty much the definition of a great day for me.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Guy A. Person posted:

I haven't seen Jurassic World but I always thought the same thing re: how could it be this big franchise ruining train wreck when we already have Lost World and JP3.

The cat is already out of the lovely sequel bag at this point.

It's literally The Force Awakens. A direct sequel to the beloved original movie that plays it too safe and wastes time trying to recreate famous scenes and plot lines from the first film and leaves some stuff vague to set up sequels.

It's still a much better film than TLW and JP3 though (Just as TFA is far superior to the prequels)

Ghostbusters looks to be generally the same thing except worse because the team making it doesn't understand why the original is so beloved by fans.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 7, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am fairly sure the fans do not know why the original is so beloved by fans and you'd get like ten different answers depending on who you asked. Ghostbusters is the sum of many parts.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ImpAtom posted:

I am fairly sure the fans do not know why the original is so beloved by fans and you'd get like ten different answers depending on who you asked. Ghostbusters is the sum of many parts.

If they knew, then Evolution would have been better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The fundamental contradiction of the Ghostbusters fan is that they seem to believe the "lightning in a bottle" theory for the first movie, yet they also want more media to consume.

Maybe now that the original cast is dying you'll see the latter dissipate, but I doubt it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

The fundamental contradiction of the Ghostbusters fan is that they seem to believe the "lightning in a bottle" theory for the first movie, yet they also want more media to consume.

Maybe now that the original cast is dying you'll see the latter dissipate, but I doubt it.

Yeah, even the direct sequel with the original cast gets tons of poo poo and the video game veers between forgotten and disliked. I'm not sure what anyone was hoping for.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ghostbusters fans hate gho--

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Ghostbusters fans hate gho--

Ghosts? Well duh. But they ain't afraid of them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

computer parts posted:

The trick is that 'lighting in the bottle' is a supplement to the consumption of the bad sequels. "Oh course the cartoons and videogames aren't good. The original was 'lightning in a bottle'." *watches them anyways*

The threat posed by the remake is that they will 'steal the lightning'.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

There are plenty examples of lighting striking twice though: Godfather II, Aliens, Empire Strikes Back, The American Office, Futurama after the Simpsons, Star Trek TNG.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

There are plenty examples of lighting striking twice though: Godfather II, Aliens, Empire Strikes Back, The American Office, Futurama after the Simpsons, Star Trek TNG.

You seem to just be listing sequels that are good. Like I wouldn't call Better Call Saul an example of lightning striking twice, just an example of Gilligan being talented.

The closest example of something being successful years after the original in the same way as Ghostbusters would have to be is TNG, but that only really got good after they threw out the creator for being a weirdo.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I read SubG's Star Trek posts and now I think TNG is bad

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I already got a great sequel to GB in that Ghostbusters video game from a little while back. Apart from Murrays overly-hammy phone it in performance, it was pretty cool and had an interesting story.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I already got a great sequel to GB in that Ghostbusters video game from a little while back. Apart from Murrays overly-hammy phone it in performance, it was pretty cool and had an interesting story.

I just liked playing the Sedgewick Hotel over and over...

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
My most vivid memory of that game is getting killed over and over again by those effing candelabras that come to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The best part about the candelabras was that in the PC version, if it detected you were playing a cracked version of the game, they were invulnerable.

• Locked thread